What's new

pgrade of 10 Kamov Ka-28 antisubmarine warfare helicopters of the IN

sudhir007

Reaction score
Rosoboronexport to Partner with Finmeccanica on Maritime Patrol aircraft

Russia plans to develop airborne maritime patrol platforms fitted with Italian intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) systems. The corresponding agreements were signed between Russia's arms trade agency Rosoboronexport and Finmeccanica's subsidiaries Selex Elsag, Selex Galilieo and WASS at the Farnborough air show on June 11. The cooperation also involves the modernization of the Russian aircraft that are already in service with foreign customers.

The first project of its kind will be the upgrade of 10 Kamov Ka-28 antisubmarine warfare helicopters of the Indian navy that will receive Selex Galileo ATOS tactical observation and surveillance systems. The deputy head of Rosoboronexport, Alexander Mikheev, explained that the talks with the Indian customer are expected to be completed in half a year. Design efforts will start after that.

As for fixed-wing applications, that launch platform will be the patrol version of the Beriev Be-200 amphibian. Rosoboronexport is just starting to promote this modification, so the first customers may appear in one to three years, Mikheev promised. He named Ilyushin Il-38 and Antonov An-148 and An-158 patrol variants as the other possible platforms for the Italian subsystems. They will also be equipped with Selex Elsag's communication, navigation and IFF systems as well as with the light torpedoes from WASS. “We are starting to work [with the Italians] within those foreign tenders where we are taking part now,” said the Rosoboronexport official.

good news

our kamovs will be more advanced and will serve longer after upgrade

Well its part of Indian Navys plan to get the most out of its present fleet of ASW Helis while it negotiate the 2 tenders for ASW and NMRH Helis

Infact India is also upgrading 17 Seakings Acquired in 1990s as well as 10 of the 13 Ka28 Helis
This is becoz they are 18-20 yrs old and could serve till 2025 after MLU , while we induct 16+44 MRH over the next 10 yrs

any pics of kamov ka 28...........

Ka-28b.jpg

Well its part of Indian Navys plan to get the most out of its present fleet of ASW Helis while it negotiate the 2 tenders for ASW and NMRH Helis

Infact India is also upgrading 17 Seakings Acquired in 1990s as well as 10 of the 13 Ka28 Helis
This is becoz they are 18-20 yrs old and could serve till 2025 after MLU , while we induct 16+44 MRH over the next 10 yrs

that means we will be operating close to 100 ASW helis by 2020.
We must keep ASW helis level to that level.

I like IN only profesionals in the armed forces of India. Proper planning & execution of plans.

@Archie i like your signature, its funny. Though I totally agree with it.

I like IN only profesionals in the armed forces of India. Proper planning & execution of plans.

Japanese have more than 100 P-3C ... We should have at least that many ASW helis..

Yeah
Indian Navy is targetting 90 ASW/MRH Helicopter Fleet , though I am not sure about 2020 Timeline , Coz as per current plan , First Batch of 16 Helis will arrive in 2015-16 ,while second batch should start coming in 2018

Also the 17 upgraded SeaKing and 10 Ka 28 should retire in 2025 after completing 30-35 yrs in service

We also have 26 older Seaking and Kamov 25/28 Helis which will be retired over next 5 yrs

And about my signature , well if you read what the chincese post all the time , then you will get my point

Japanese have more than 100 P-3C ... We should have at least that many ASW helis..

What for? These helicopters only cover a small distance, are slow and don't have such advanced detection capabilities. That means, they can operate only from a vessels that detects or hunts the target first and that as far away from our coastlines as possible. So if you have a large coastline and want to detect and fight subs at long distances, ASW aircrafts are the most important asset that a navy has. One reason why I would order more P8Is, because we have a huge area that we have to protect and that can't be covered by so less MPAs.

Another point is, today these helicopters are multi role capable so they won't be used just for ASW or anti ship roles with dedicated versions anymore. Especially used from our frigats they will have more utility, or SAR roles to do than real ASW roles, which is one reason why the initial order of 16 x helis is now increased to 70+, because the same platform can be used in various roles, from various vessels.

Do we have any underwater sonar detection systems off the coast? As in permanently placed buoys which monitor traffic and report back via satellite? Any idea on this? Something like a passive detection system?

What for? These helicopters only cover a small distance, are slow and don't have such advanced detection capabilities. That means, they can operate only from a vessels that detects or hunts the target first and that as far away from our coastlines as possible. So if you have a large coastline and want to detect and fight subs at long distances, ASW aircrafts are the most important asset that a navy has. One reason why I would order more P8Is, because we have a huge area that we have to protect and that can't be covered by so less MPAs.

Another point is, today these helicopters are multi role capable so they won't be used just for ASW or anti ship roles with dedicated versions anymore. Especially used from our frigats they will have more utility, or SAR roles to do than real ASW roles, which is one reason why the initial order of 16 x helis is now increased to 70+, because the same platform can be used in various roles, from various vessels.

Strongly Disagree on Point 1

Choppers -
Low OpCost/Life Cycle Cost
Easy to maintain.
Ease of Deployment. VTOL can take off from Even Corevtte`s
MPA Radars on Sea King/MH 90 are well known off
There are concept`s of Sea Control and Sea Denial...we are preaching sea control. Sea denial is done by US/UK/Japs/Reds (CCCP).

fyi Japs have small sea to Control i.e, East China Sea, which is epicenter for all issues with illustrious Nations around...Thus they have 30P3Js

Sea of Okhtok has no threat any more as compared to Red Era.Only persistent issue being Kuril Islands Dispute with Russia near Hokkaido..

if i'm not making mistake,its Ka-31 that india use as an early warning and asw platform.it is a much needed platform as India couldn't launch havuer platforms like hawkeye from a ski jump AC.plus we can even operate these from any destroyer/frigate/corvette.right??

if i'm not making mistake,its Ka-31 that india use as an early warning and asw platform.it is a much needed platform as India couldn't launch havuer platforms like hawkeye from a ski jump AC.plus we can even operate these from any destroyer/frigate/corvette.right??

Well India is looking to acquire another 5 Ka-31 AEW Helis to be operated from Vikrant

Well India is looking to acquire another 5 Ka-31 AEW Helis to be operated from Vikrant

What can i say Indian Navy is literally on a roll these days...:toast_sign:
this is good news for one we should get a better platform n for the other we should keep upgrading our current fleet to latest standards...:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom