What's new

PDF Thread Quality Control

Pandora

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I have recetly been seeing a lot of useless threads on PDF with no logic to support them. I propose that the post limit for opening a new thread should be around 500-1000 posts. This will serve several purposes

1- This will restrict access of trolls who change their ID merely for trash talk so it will become difficult for the newbies and professional trolls to trash talk about a topic

2-It will improve the quality of threads by not allowing amateurish threads every next day with stupid question.

3- A higher post limit will allow new members to gain bit of maturity after they watch senior posters not getting involved in flame bait

Its just a suggestion so lets talk about improving PDF quality as it is getting really annoying to have forum for mature talks to get destroyed by bunch of trolls and newbies

As someone who doesn't start threads, but is more then annoyed with the quality of some member's contributions, I say this isn't a bad idea.

There's too many garbage or duplicate threads as it is, and many members join, spam threads and up their post count with worthless content to reach their post total goal faster. By increasing the post count total needed to start a new thread you can largely do away with that.

Members that want to make positive contributions to the forum will prove themselves and be willing to wait a little longer before starting their own threads. Members that came to troll will die out long before reaching said elevated goal.

i-approve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure how feasible this idea is based on my personal experience.

I was once trapped in India when my flight was diverted to Delhi Airport after it met with an incident and only found a couple of minutes to create a thread on PDF as no news channel had reported till then. The limited availability of internet was just enough to write a couple of lines

Recently I was speaking to my mother on the phone and she said earthquake earthquake and then suddenly the phone was disconnected. I created a thread on PDF as I wasn't able to contact my mother again and came to know it was as big as the earthquake took place in 2005.

So sometimes members has to create shorter threads too. I also know that many users will prolong the thread by typing nonsense like
In order to fulfil the requirement of minimum words.

But it is my personal opinion only as if more users favour the decision, I am willing to accept it

I am not sure how feasible this idea is based on my personal experience.

I was once trapped in India when my flight was diverted to Delhi Airport after it met with an incident and only found a couple of minutes to create a thread on PDF as no news channel had reported till then. The limited availability of internet was just enough to write a couple of lines

Recently I was speaking to my mother on the phone and she said earthquake earthquake and then suddenly the phone line was disconnected. I created a thread on PDF as I wasn't able to contact my mother again and came to know it was as big as the earthquake took place in 2005.

So sometimes members has to create shorter threads too. I also know that many users will prolong the thread by typing nonsense like
In order to fulfil the requirement of minimum words.

But it is my personal opinion only as if more users favour the decision, I am willing to accept it

Can accomodate this concern by having one section where anyone can post no matter the number of posts made etc...but keep the post limit criteria for the bulk of the forum (as far as thread starting goes etc).

Another idea is a time limit enforced between starting new threads or even replies depending on your post count.

What do you think about this approach @smuhs1 @The Sandman @Technogaianist @war&peace @cloud4000

Let me tag some more members too:

@Levina @anant_s @PARIKRAMA @Providence @Vergennes @Taygibay @LA se Karachi @Bilal9 @Joe Shearer
@RAMPAGE @django @Zibago @Windjammer @Zarvan @nair

Can accomodate this concern by having one section where anyone can post no matter the number of posts made etc...but keep the post limit criteria for the bulk of the forum (as far as thread starting goes etc).

It'd still need to be policed. We've had members posting threads in the Member's Introduction section where there is no post count criteria to start threads, just to get around that limitation

That special section will still have the same issues noted in the OP, a lack of quality caused by members posting whatever without restrictions. To prevent it from spiraling out of control it too has to be policed.

A better idea would be to make me Supreme Lord of Interwebs Content. I'll decide who can do what, where and when.

judge-not-happy.jpg

All posts must include at least one picture of chocolate pie. New decree!!

:D

Another idea is a time limit enforced between starting new threads or even replies depending on your post count.

Maybe limiting the number of threads one can start in a week or day? Or the number of posts?

Limiting posting rights by post count total might work, but then again who decides who is worthy of posting more then anyone else? Some of the forum's best members have few posts and some of the habitual trolls have the most.

@Horus @Aether @Irfan Baloch @WAJsal

Can someone tag other mods as well?
@Slav Defence @WebMaster

What do you think about this approach @smuhs1 @The Sandman @Technogaianist @war&peace @cloud4000

Let me tag some more members too:

@Levina @anant_s @PARIKRAMA @Providence @Vergennes @Taygibay @LA se Karachi @Bilal9 @Joe Shearer
@RAMPAGE @django @Zibago @Windjammer @Zarvan @nair
Agreed. It is no fun seeing amateurish threads created every now and then by totally new members. So they can have a special corner where they beat each other

Agreed. It is no fun seeing amateurish threads created every now and then by totally new members. So they can have a special corner where they beat each other

Make that special corner invisible to the greater forum, and you've got a deal.

Hide it. Keep it off the New Posts page and maybe that'll help keep serious discussions and garbage or trollish content apart. If I can't see it here, I'm probably not going to search for it honestly, I'm fickle that way. Only certain threads I'll look for, and they're ones I regularly contribute to and know the location of by heart.

Capture.JPG

If it's visible only when you're in that section and its content doesn't leak, then maybe that'll help.

Though I don't actually agree with increased Balkanization of the forum.

Even though it's a defese forum, every thing should have diversity otherwise things get really boring and i bet most of you wouldn't be here, if it wasn't for that diversity. As for senior/junior members, those who dont have to follow rules they never will. I can quote many examples of such senior members but i guess throwing light on them wouldn't be a cool thing to do :angel:. Point being diversity and freedom of expression are exactly why people come here, take that away and defence.pk is no more. Making it exclusive to "internet experts" wont do any good, but then again that's my humble opinion, what do i know? i am not even a senior member :p:.

Back
Top Bottom