What's new

Pakistan's Gwadar, Karachi to be linked with China's Kashgar: PM

One thing I was discussing with a second hand car importer.

According to him, the cars he buys in Japan are first sent to Dubai, offloaded there and then sent to Pakistan. This takes a couple of weeks. If Gwadar is made and publicized, then the cars will not need to be offloaded at Dubai instead they will directly come to Pakistan from Japan...although the security issue in Balochistan makes the further transportation a problem.

Of course Gawadar is important for our economy as your example illustrates. We need this port to work well, but for us only, as it will never be the crossroads of world trade as is being claimed by some.

Of course Gawadar is important for our economy as your example illustrates. We need this port to work well, but for us only, as it will never be the crossroads of world trade as is being claimed by some.

There is a reason that China is investing heavily in it...

A stable Afghanistan could also be of importance to us, since we can then route good from Gwadar through Afghanistan into the CAS.

There is a reason that China is investing heavily in it...

A stable Afghanistan could also be of importance to us, since we can then route good from Gwadar through Afghanistan into the CAS.

Relative to China's investments elsewhere, Gawadar is only a small project. The CAS route theory is a fable only.

why do we need a motorway on such an uprising heavy port/project ????.......things will just turn ugly like the current roads due to excess usage of those nato supply trucks.....

the best way is to establish the bullet train asap (im not trying to mock) but i think this would do job quite neatly without any heavy loss to both (pakistan and china)

Don't forget Africa. That's also a huge market for China and a shortcut through Gwadar makes a lot of sense.

exactly,as of now they are importing oil and gas from uganda aswell, they paid it off by constructing roads for them...we can seek a bullet train on the name of gwadar and indeed even they know the heavy traffic it is to face in the times soon to come....

so what we can do is negotiate an energy supply for the bullet train (as there is a huge shortfall) & certainly the bullet train itself....they (the Chinese) will need quick transfer of supplies too.....one can be initially established for the export/import business and the other can be for the community :) :cheers: (but the setting up shouldn't take long) :pakistan: :china:

lets accept it, gwadar bullet train will benefit the chinese more than us :D :yahoo: so as long as we get a fair share nothings bad, its a deal, because both benefit :tup:

certainly the bullet train itself....they (the Chinese) will need quick transfer of supplies too.....one can be initially established for the export/import business and the other can be for the community :)

I don't think the bullet train would be used for freight.

Could you please explain what is this shortcut and how it makes sense?

There are a host of factors. Right now, China's industrial base is mostly in the east and south. I suspect they want to industrialize the west for a number of reasons, strategic as well as economic.

the Chinese are likely going to decide it simply does not make sense for them to do this.

Why don't we let the Chinese make that decision?

but cant we have a freight bullet train for gwadar ?!?!?!?!?! :undecided:

like i said there can be 2 one for the business and the other for the community ?!?!?!?!

There are a host of factors. Right now, China's industrial base is mostly in the east and south. I suspect they want to industrialize the west for a number of reasons, strategic as well as economic.

Why don't we let the Chinese make that decision?

Luckily, the Chinese do get to decide what they want to do, with expansion of their industrial bases and the routes for international trade. I have no problem with that of course since they are sane, unlike us.

I can wait for urgent time-critical goods to be made in Kashgar being rushed to impatient customers in Africa and beyond via a bullet train to Gawadar and then onwards by high-speed hydrofoils - but a long time it will be Sir, and by then spaceships will be bringing home asteroids routinely, maybe.

One thing I was discussing with a second hand car importer.

According to him, the cars he buys in Japan are first sent to Dubai, offloaded there and then sent to Pakistan. This takes a couple of weeks. If Gwadar is made and publicized, then the cars will not need to be offloaded at Dubai instead they will directly come to Pakistan from Japan...although the security issue in Balochistan makes the further transportation a problem.

Have you considered the possibility that a large number of corporations have manufacturing plants in India and those that donot have manufacturing plants have large assembly plants in India.

If and when - and this seems likely to happen soon - trade relations normalize as as they already have massively over the past 1 year, all shipments would be routed to India to be offloaded and then sent to Pakistan.

That would be the the most economical route for almost every corporation.

Have you considered the possibility that a large number of corporations have manufacturing plants in India and those that donot have manufacturing plants have large assembly plants in India.

If and when - and this seems likely to happen soon - trade relations normalize as as they already have massively over the past 1 year, all shipments would be routed to India to be offloaded and then sent to Pakistan.

That would be the the most economical route for almost every corporation.

As much sense as it might make, it will never be allowed to happen.

As much sense as it might make, it will never be allowed to happen.

Economics takes its own routes Argus.
There is a massive lobby now at work in Pakistan to go through with the trade normalization with India.

There is a reason why in the last 1 year, there has been a substantial trade liberalization in Pakistan with India. The changeover from Positive list to Negative list is in itself possibly the biggest trade measure taken by Pakistan since 1960's.

The last thing remaining is granting the MFN status to India.
After that whoever needs to be bribed will be bribed, whoever needs to be cajoled will be cajoled and whoever needs to be threatened will be threatened by the Multinational Corporations. That is how they work.

Economics takes its own routes Argus.
There is a massive lobby now at work in Pakistan to go through with the trade normalization with India.

There is a reason why in the last 1 year, there has been a substantial trade liberalization in Pakistan with India. The changeover from Positive list to Negative list is in itself possibly the biggest trade measure taken by Pakistan since 1960's.

The last thing remaining is granting the MFN status to India.
After that whoever needs to be bribed will be bribed, whoever needs to be cajoled will be cajoled and whoever needs to be threatened will be threatened by the Multinational Corporations. That is how they work.

I understand perfectly what you are saying, but these changes will take a long time to implement given that our power players know how to take the lion's share of the pie while keeping it small rather than accepting a smaller share of a much larger pie.

I understand perfectly what you are saying, but these changes will take a long time to implement given that our power players know how to take the lion's share of the pie while keeping it small rather than accepting a smaller share of a much larger pie.

I am optimistic.

And many multinationals are also holding their investments and deciding to make investments based on the trade works in Pakistan with respect to India.

Lets see how this pans out.

I can wait for urgent time-critical goods

What I am saying is that shipping time is only one of many factors affecting such decisions.

Having an alternative to Malacca, improving the logistics of developing the western regions, having increased presence in key regions, all have their own advantages.

I am optimistic.

And many multinationals are also holding their investments and deciding to make investments based on the trade works in Pakistan with respect to India.

Lets see how this pans out.

What I am saying is that shipping time is only one of many factors affecting such decisions.

Okay Sirs, okay, like @Contrarian says above, let's see how this pans out. What's the rush?

For me, just make a few nice hotels and resorts along the fabulous coastline. The rest can wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom