What's new

Pakistan working on military robots

mean_bird

Reaction score
LONG BEACH: Pakistan is among the countries working on the development of military robots as robots will be armies of the future in a case of science fact catching up to fiction, a researcher told an elite TED gathering on Wednesday. “The United States is ahead in military robots, but in technology there is no such thing as a permanent advantage,” Peter Singer, who has authored books on the military said. “You have Russia, China, Pakistan and Iran working on military robots.” Singer warned that while using robots for battle saves lives of military personnel, the move has the potential to exacerbate warfare by having heartless machines do the dirty work. “We are at a point of revolution in war,” Singer said. Singer predicted US military units will be half machine, half human by 2015.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Pakistan among countries working on military robots

LONG BEACH: Pakistan is among the countries working on the development of military robots as robots will be armies of the future in a case of science fact catching up to fiction, a researcher told an elite TED gathering on Wednesday. “The United States is ahead in military robots, but in technology there is no such thing as a permanent advantage,” Peter Singer, who has authored books on the military said. “You have Russia, China, Pakistan and Iran working on military robots.” Singer warned that while using robots for battle saves lives of military personnel, the move has the potential to exacerbate warfare by having heartless machines do the dirty work. “We are at a point of revolution in war,” Singer said. Singer predicted US military units will be half machine, half human by 2015. afp

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

I wonder what kind of robots they could be? maybe 'intelligent tanks'?

Not all robots are intelligent robots. Military Robotics could be anything from the BigDog to, as you said, Intelligent Tanks. This is not really a 'shocker', because if you think about it, UAVs are robots as well, and we already produce those. Modern planes, like the JF-17, are full of robotic devices. As a matter of fact, you could argue that all of fly-by-wire technology is a very sophisticated robot.

The article says nothing about the type or level of robotics, so it could be anything. You may not know this, but you could make a robot, and so could I.

Here's BigDog:
Pay attention at 1:25. The control algorithm must be absolutely amazing for it to survive that slip.

Last edited by a moderator:
if this is true, the I must admit, this totally caught me off guard. the only robots I've seen in Pakistan look more like "trash picker-uppers" :rofl:

seriously though, if anyone has any pictures or news articles that could shed light on the state of robotics in Pakistan, please post that here. I know nanotechnology does exist in Pakistan, which is a good sign that we aren't giving up the race when it comes to technology.

:coffee: You people have reminded me of TERMINATOR and MATRIX series. The RISE OF THE MACHINES :sniper::guns:

No machine or Robot can Substitute the best Machine on earth Made by GOD and that is Human Being.

Pakistan is already Suffering from Power Crisis :taz: , who will feed Electrical Power to this army :police: of Electrical Power Hungry Robots :azn:. :rofl::rofl: Just Kidding mann.

THIS age is already there. in afghan major american strike coming from drone! BEWARE! it will only bring power to haters such as America!

Robotic Warfare Making Its Way to Battlefield

FEBRUARY 06, 2009

Robotic warfare is moving from the silver screen to the battlefield as U.S. armed forces are stepping up efforts to develop cutting-edge military robots.

▽ Reconnaissance to combat

Peter Singer, a military expert at the Brookings Institution, gave extensive information on military robots used by American forces in the latest edition of “The Wilson Quarterly.”

While fighting terrorists in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, the U.S. military has made significant advances in robotics in both quality and quantity.

When the United States invaded Iraq in 2003, American forces had a couple of reconnaissance planes but no robots for ground operations. Today, the U.S. military has 12,000 ground robots of 22 types and 5,300 unmanned military aerial vehicles.

On the ground, PackBots, or scout robots equipped with cameras and sensors, are helping reduce casualties in the battlefield. Another type of scout robot “Talon” has even combat capability with an automatic rifle and small rockets.

In the sky, the midsize plane “Reaper” and large model “Predator” can track an enemy’s every move and even attack them with missiles and bombs. Tiny reconnaissance planes weighing 400 grams fly over the battlefield.

The U.S. Army, Navy and Air Force are scrambling to develop next-generation war robots.

The Army will spend 230 billion dollars to complete the Future Combat Systems program by 2015.

The Navy is developing small unmanned submarines and unmanned speedboats to fight pirates.

The Air Force is coming up with a massive unmanned airship to act as a floating air base on the one hand, and subminiature scout planes weighing less than 10 grams on the other.

France, Germany and Israel have also joined the race for “warbot” development.

▽ “Warbots” to break rules of war

Robot engineers say humanoid robots will be deployed by 2020. The U.S. Joint Operation Command said such robots will have the ability to independently judge the situation in the battlefield and counter attack as early as 2025.

If things go as planned, robots will be deployed along with soldiers and could even replace humans. “We are today at the start of the greatest revolution that warfare has seen since the introduction of atomic bombs,” said Singer.

The change, however, will challenge international rules on war and ethics. Who should be responsible for damage caused by misjudgment by autonomous robots? This is a question humankind should solve in an era of robotic warfare, he said.

“It makes us look like the evil empire (from the Star Wars movies) and the other guys like the rebel alliance if they defend themselves versus robot invaders,” Singer added.

Yet another massively overhyped piece if you ask me. Where is the expertise coming from? Pakistani universities? I don't think so

Yet another massively overhyped piece if you ask me. Where is the expertise coming from? Pakistani universities? I don't think so

You have no idea of the system over in pakistan so your comment is not realistic.

First of all, there are "some" good universities in pakistan and you only need some good people to develop all this sort of stuff. NUST, GIKI, LUMS are all quite good universities that produce a decent batch of graduates every year and if you pick amongst them, give them time and money, you have quite an efficient manpower. Maybe not matching MIT and Berkely, but believe me they can do quite a bit of stuff.

Expertise also comes from training courses these guys attend and experience over time. Lots of foreign qualified pakistani students also get jobs in these institutions because they have a good environment and supplement with good pays.

A food for thought...where did the expertise come from to build the Nukes? or the Shaheen missiles? or the cruise missiles?

Back
Top Bottom