What's new

Pakistan successfully tests Babur 2 Cruise Missile.

That was very informative. Someone pointed out a couple pages ago that in a MOD document there is a ship-launched weapon mentioned. A slanted platform is indeed coming up for it, but I wanted to know the possible installation configuration of it on our present vessels. Would we have to swap out existing AShM launchers, or is the space available on the helipads is the only way to go?
Considering C-802 is longer than Harpoon, on F-22P, it would appear possible to swap out existing launchers (or make them dual use, so to speak). There is some room around the AShM launchers and there is also the are behind the stack. If the superstructure there is sufficiently strong for addittional weight, one might shoe horn in another 2x2 or 2x4. But a rack that could accommodate both C-802 and Babur would seem best (then I'ld use the midship area to make 2x6, for a mix of missiles)

Weight 715 kg
Length 6.392 m (presumably with booster)
Diameter 36 cm

4KuoQ.jpg

On a Perry i.e. PNS Alamgir, you might have a similar install as the Taiwanese Hsiung Feng III (although this is admittedly a bit shorter at 6.1m and lighter)
1920px-Hsiung_Feng_II_and_Hsiung_Feng_III_Anti-Ship_Missile_Launchers_aboard_on_Central_Upper_Deck_of_ROCN_Pan_Chao_%28PFG2-1108%29_20150316.jpg

Its a common rack, with different boxes for different missiles. Hsiung Feng 3 is a big supersonic AShM, which next to it is the smaller, Harpoon-like Hsiung Feng 2. Hsiung Feng 1 is essentially a derivative of the Israeli Gabriel missile Mk II and has a very different launcher alltogether.
HFIII.ChengKung2.jpg

You'ld need something like this (for C-802) but three rather than two wide. ANd possibly a bit wider (as Babur is fatter than C-802 and will have a wider launch box)
1250619157.jpg

nxoln4j4d3z4lufpf8Q-o.jpg

As on the older Type 053H2G, but with 2 layers of missiles per rack
Type_053H2G_frigate.jpg

Last edited:
I do agree with your assertion but apologies for expanding on it...

we never did an underwater test but data from western tests is largely available. in one test of 20-25 kt device below 50 meters vaporised 1000 ton ship above it and sank a 45000 ton carrier at 450 yards away, battleships, destroyers upto 1000 yards away sank and being that many got severely damaged. So I do not think that it is necessary to detonate right below the carrier, a broad side a few hundred yards away will deform the hull enough to sink the carrier and a thousand yard away smaller ships. But I do agree that a donation right blow will certainly vaporise parts of hull and sink it faster.
But the most important findings were that because of an under water explosion and radioactive material mixing with water and that water moving over ships, the radiation was so severe that it made any attempts to use ships which did not sink futile. Basically you can practically wipe out a battle group with couple of explosions.

Also I do not agree with perceptions of an air burst not scuttling big carriers, in a famous test air burst 150 meters in air of 20-25 kt sank ships a 1000 yards away and also severely damaged others even further. But one interesting fact of such an air burst is that it did not leave a fall out and also the flash radioactive effect is so severe that ships in a couple of thousands yards of ground zero which do not sink will turn into ghost ships in matter of days if not hours. In that test, animals behind 12+ inch think amor plating in massive battle ships died within couple of days. Strangely such airburst do not leave long-term radioactivity and ships can be brought back to service if not damaged severely.

Hi,

As it is new information to many readers---I was trying to be very conservative so that the reader could get some grip on it and understand the significance of a sub surface strike.

https://www.amazon.com/Tidal-Rip-Joe-Buff/dp/0060009667

For any submarine warfare enthusiast who can afford to---these books are a must read---.

US navy has all sort of missiles ... from sub-sonic to supersonic ... the reason they use sub-sonic is all of their attacks are against nations not having capable air defence systems ...

Why to use tank it assault rifle could do the job ...

vulnerability of sub-sonic missiles against good air defence is attack of Yemenis missile on Makkah defended by Patriot of KSA ...
100% agreed, due to advancement in radar tracking and engaging technologies slow moving missiles will be shot down. hyper velocity missiles with lots and lots of KE will be replacing slow moving ones.

Its more because they want intelligent (in missile sense) manoeuvrable and smart missiles rather then brahmos type, its the same reason Russia hasent been too enthusiastic about it and why they dont have a queue of waiting customers for Brahmos
In future in addition to manoeuvrability and smartness missiles will have to be fast (super hyper sonic whatever) as well.

Hi,

As it is new information to many readers---I was trying to be very conservative so that the reader could get some grip on it and understand the significance of a sub surface strike.

https://www.amazon.com/Tidal-Rip-Joe-Buff/dp/0060009667

For any submarine warfare enthusiast who can afford to---these books are a must read---.
Thanks for sharing. I have made a short cut by watching the movie "Crimson Tide". Since then a fan of Denzel Washington and boomers..

Considering C-802 is longer than Harpoon, on F-22P, it would appear possible to swap out existing launchers (or make them dual use, so to speak). There is some room around the AShM launchers and there is also the are behind the stack. If the superstructure there is sufficiently strong for addittional weight, one might shoe horn in another 2x2 or 2x4. But a rack that could accommodate both C-802 and Babur would seem best (then I'ld use the midship area to make 2x6, for a mix of missiles)

In its latest annual publication, the Pakistan Ministry of Defence Production (MoDP) disclosed that the Directorate General of Munitions Production (DGMP) was tasked with “the indigenous developing of [one] ship-borne system with [one] Land Attack Missile and [one] Anti ship Missile.” Development of this system is scheduled for completion by October 2018.

Agreed but even the CIWS are quite effective against sub-sonic missiles ... so it is difficult to detect a subsonic missile but it is easy to engage it by point defence systems ... so sub-sonic missiles are not ideal choice for high value target as they must be protected by point defence systems ...
there are basically 2 type anti-ship missiles subsonic and supersonic but in between there are third type anti-ship missiles which have the capability of subsonic cruise and supersonic terminal dash like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3M-54_Klub
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3M-51_Alfa
version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YJ-83

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not test it for real and hit few Indian HQ's close to LOC that are constantly causing mischief and killing civilians. This nation has created these missiles through their blood and now these missiles are good for NOTHING. If our Army cant really deter India aggression with them then put these missiles in a museum and earn some revenue. The main aim of our missile defence technology is to deter Indian aggression, soft or hard.

The missile is coming along nicely, it will be the first choice in strikes against the adversary, it will be improved constantly.

What happened to Sub Launch CM and BM series ?

Why not test it for real and hit few Indian HQ's close to LOC that are constantly causing mischief and killing civilians. This nation has created these missiles through their blood and now these missiles are good for NOTHING. If our Army cant really deter India aggression with them then put these missiles in a museum and earn some revenue. The main aim of our missile defence technology is to deter Indian aggression, soft or hard.
I would suggest we should tip the warheads with tactical nuclear ones, Indians will lov it

Are you insane or something that means we have full fledged NUCLEAR WAR you idiot:hitwall::devil:

Back
Top Bottom