What's new

Pakistan Navy Questions Thread

Hi

I have a question about Pakistan Navy , anybody can help me ?

I was wondering if anybody knows anything about 2 former Destroyers of Iranian navy that Pakistan bought in early 90s

they were ex USN destroyers ( USS Zellars (DD-777) and USS Stormes (DD-780) ) that were in service in IRN under the names of Babr (D61) and Palang (D62)

I was wondering if you could tell me if they are in service or they were bought just to be scrapped

Pakistan Navy never bought any ships from Iran.

The UNITED STATES NAVY SHIP U.S.S. ZELLARS DD777 was laid down on 24 December 1943at Seattle Washington, by the Todd-Pacific Shipyards, Incorporated, launched on 19 July 1944, and commisioned on 25 October 1944, Commander Blinn Van Mater in command. In March 1945, she put to sea with a portion of the Okinowa invasion force. Zellars was decommissioned on 19 March 1971, and her name was struck from the Navy list. Renamed Babr (DDG-7) she was commissioned in the Iranian Navy on 12 October 1973 at the Philadelphia Navy Shipyard.As of 1998, she remained active with the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy, though non-operational since 1994 and awaiting scrapping.
Zellars History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Zellars_(DD-777)
Destroyer Photo Index DD-777 USS ZELLARS

bb36.jpg

0577725.jpg

Last edited:
Operational and Building Data Laid down by Todd Shipyards, Seattle. February 15 1944.
Launched November 4 1944 and commissioned January 27 1945.
Completed FRAM upgrade January 1961.
Decommissioned December 5 1970.
Stricken February 16 1972.
To Iran February 16 1972, renamed Palang.
Fate Still active in Iranian Navy (Un-operational since 1994 to be scrapped).

Destroyer Photo Index DD-780 USS STORMES
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Stormes_(DD-780)
Babr Class Destroyers: Uss Zellars, Uss Stormes, Iranian Destroyer Palang ... - Google Boeken

USS Stormes (DD-780) in August 22 1973 as the Iranian Palang D62 in Iranian Navy
DN-SN-87-12402.jpeg

A port bow view of the Allen M. Sumner class Iranian destroyer ITS PALANG (D 62) underway. The PALANG is the former USS STORMES (DD 780), 01/01/1987

0578026.jpg

PN Budget:

with a budget of roughly $400-500m/year, thats all one can afford to operate

As of 2014 the budget is close to $1b but expect extra to be paid for pending or other loans taken from China.

i thought i heard it was around $700million.

7 billion dollars over all budget out of which some 900ish million PN, 3.8ish billion Pak Army and around 300 million for Pays etc for tri arm and close to 2 billion for PAF.

The UNITED STATES NAVY SHIP U.S.S. ZELLARS DD777 was laid down on 24 December 1943at Seattle Washington, by the Todd-Pacific Shipyards, Incorporated, launched on 19 July 1944, and commisioned on 25 October 1944, Commander Blinn Van Mater in command. In March 1945, she put to sea with a portion of the Okinowa invasion force. Zellars was decommissioned on 19 March 1971, and her name was struck from the Navy list. Renamed Babr (DDG-7) she was commissioned in the Iranian Navy on 12 October 1973 at the Philadelphia Navy Shipyard.As of 1998, she remained active with the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy, though non-operational since 1994 and awaiting scrapping.
Zellars History

Destroyer Photo Index DD-777 USS ZELLARS

tnx , I know all this ;)
but there are some rumors about these destroyers , that Pakistan bought them and they entered PN
even some people claim that they've seen them in Pakistan many years ago
which I believe they've mistaken babr and palang with PNS Nazim ...

by the way , tnx again

o bhai, that is the total defence budget. look at the breakup between all the forces. did you even read the article? :hitwall:

O bhai I read that link and I have couple of other links that says up to 900 million for Navy to the earlier 700-725m...looking at Navy's procurement on this scale I am satisfied 900 million is allotted is this for 2014-2015 only.

tnx , I know all this ;)
but there are some rumors about these destroyers , that Pakistan bought them and they entered PN
even some people claim that they've seen them in Pakistan many years ago
which I believe they've mistaken babr and palang with PNS Nazim ...

by the way , tnx again
That would seem likely. The Nazim is a Gearing class destroyer. The Iranian ships are Allen M Sumner class destoyers. Both types are very similar to begin with.From the Sumner-class was spawned the Gearing-class.

1_zps818efd1f.png

In simple words, the Gearing-class was just a long-hull version of the Sumner-class. As can be seen from the picture above, the "hull plug" as it was known, was built between the two funnels. The reason: give the ships longer legs by giving them the opportunity to embark more fuel. The Gearing-class, because of its larger displacement lost some speed, compensated by an extra 1,000 nautical mile-range. Secondary armament was slightly reduced

Nazim is the former USS Wiltsie (DD-716). In November 1961 she underwent Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization (FRAM) alterations. She received an enclosed bridge; a helicopter hangar and landing platform; triple-mounted Mk. 32 torpedo tubes; an ASROC launcher; and late model radar and sonar. She also received many improvements in accommodations for both officers and enlisted men.

The FRAM MK I program was designed primarily for the Gearing-class destroyers. This upgrade included rebuilding the ship's superstructure, engines, electronic systems, radar, sonar, and weapons. The second twin 5" gun mount and all previous AA guns and ASW equipment were removed. Upgraded systems included SQS-23 sonar, SPS-10 surface search radar, 2 × triple Mark 32 torpedo tubes, 8-cell Anti-Submarine Rocket (ASROC) box launcher, and one QH-50C DASH ASW drone helicopter, with its own landing pad and hangar. Both the Mk 32 torpedo tubes and ASROC launched Mk 44 homing ASW torpedoes.

Gearing class destroyers before and after FRAM modernization
Gearing_class_destroyers_before_and_after_FRAM_modernization.jpg

The very similar FRAM MK II program was designed primarily for the Sumner class destroyers, but was used to upgrade the Gearing class as well. This upgrade program included life-extension refurbishment, a new radar system, ASROC (not fitted on the Sumners), Mk. 32 torpedo tubes, DASH ASW drone, and most importantly, a new variable depth sonar (VDS).

USS Wiltsie > Gearing Class FRAM I, Group B, Tall Mast
Tin Can Sailors - The National Association of Destroyer Veterans
Conf-H.png

USS Zellars/Stormes > Allen M. Sumner Class FRAM II
Tin Can Sailors - The National Association of Destroyer Veterans
Conf%20A-allen-m-sumner-fram-II.png

The similarities in configuration after FRAM are Obvious. Still, some equally Obvious differences: VDS or not, ASROC or not, B-Turret or not.

Last edited:
today there was news on tv that Russian Navy Chief has met with Joint Chief of staff, so can we expect some stuff from Russia for PN?

Back
Top Bottom