What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

Amphioans are great for SAR in areas with many island, and usefull in ASW.

AG600 is a modern day aircraft, which no doubt will replace aging SH-5 MPA

See also Japan's ShinMaywa US-2

What you think, how PN can utilize it again threat and challenges it faced?

What you think, how PN can utilize it again threat and challenges it faced?
More importantly, how important it is to face the threats and challenges we face. I mean, i guess there will be plenty of others things that will be higher on that "shopping list" of PN and which have been there for years already. I am not sure this plane will even make to that list.

@Penguin What say? :)

More importantly, how important it is to face the threats and challenges we face. I mean, i guess there will be plenty of others things that will be higher on that "shopping list" of PN and which have been there for years already. I am not sure this plane will even make to that list.

This an add capability which PN lacks now, just imagine an ASW/MPA or SAR or MEDEVAC, it can perform at very far from coastline, it will be very useful to send support to our subs operating far from coast as it can land on sea. It can perform many type of missions for PN & Marines.

GERMAN FIRM RECEIVES CONTRACT TO CONFIGURE PAKISTANI ATR-72S

Rheinland Air Service (RAS), a German firm specializing in airliner maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) as well as other support tasks, was awarded a contract by the Pakistan Navy to convert two ATR-72 aircraft for anti-submarine warfare (ASW).

Although the company did not explicitly note that the ATR-72 would be converted, Pakistan Navy ATRs were spotted at RAS’s facilities in Germany in recent weeks. RAS was contracted to re-configure two Pakistani ATR-72s, with the first slotted for delivery by the end of 2017.

RAS expects additional Pakistani orders in the coming years.

Comment and Analysis

The current iteration of the ATR-72 ASW – currently on offer by Italian vendor Leonardo-Finmeccanica – uses the ATR-72-600 as its base platform. This aircraft is capable of ASW operations through the use of a fitted sono-buoy launcher (for underwater acoustic detection) and pylons for lightweight ASW torpedoes.

The Pakistan Navy operates the slighter smaller ATR-72-500, but this should not impact its likelihood of being an ATR-72 ASW. RAS made very explicit mention of the aircraft’s use as a ASW platform, and it is worth noting that Turkey did intend to use the ATR-72-500 as the basis for its program, before shifting to the ATR-72-600 (which is currently serving as the basis for the Turkish Maritime Patrol Aircraft or TMPA).

ATR-72 ASWs will be a welcome addition to the Pakistan Navy’s maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) fleet, which has yet to fully recover from the loss of two Lockheed Martin P-3C Orion in 2011 (from an insurgent attack on the naval base PNS Mehran). It currently has seven P-3Cs in service.

Derived from a widely used commercial platform, the ATR-72 ASW is a relatively feasible and accessible platform for building a sizable MPA fleet. In fact, while Alenia Aermacchi (now Leonardo) was the first to offer the ATR-72 ASW, it is not the only available avenue. Rather, the Pakistan Navy could (and likely did) select subsystems from a variety of vendors (with RAS being selected to undertake the integration work).

If Pakistan’s ATR-72 ASWs are similar in their general configuration to Turkey’s ATR-72 TMPA, then it is likely the following subsystems are being integrated: a search radar, electro-optical sensors, electronic support measures (ESM), magnetic anomaly detector (MAD), integrated self-protection suite, sono-buoy launcher, and hardpoints for the fuselage sides (for lightweight ASW torpedoes).

Source: http://quwa.org/2016/07/11/german-firm-receives-contract-configure-pakistani-atr-72s/

no news about the upgrades planned in this project till now. Not expecting an official statement or confirmation (sadly we really have not learned the modern way handle such things) but still any authentic information would be really helpful. For those, i tend to bother you sir. :) If you can again be as helpful as you usually are?

From what I understand it is an refurbishment or major overhaul contract to be completed in 4 to 5 months.

I am inclined to think amphibians are usefull in particular where you have an area with (groups of) (small) runwayless islands spread out across the area. Saves on infra, while allowing access. Could even be coupled to a 'mothership' i.e. a floating, mobile base-ship. From what I know about Pakistan's coast and EEZ, I don't see an obvious need: nothing that could not also be done (better) by Sea King or Orion.

Landing in open sea would only be possible in very mild sea states, I would think. And a radar track on the airplane could suggest something about the whereabouts of submarines, should the former be used to support the latter (plus: how would the former support the latter exactly?)

From what I understand it is an refurbishment or major overhaul contract to be completed in 4 to 5 months.
If that is the case and there are no major upgrades/modifications made, i can understand. We could have done that our self as well right? I think the need to go to Turkey for a general overhaul (if that is what it is) indicate some progress on the Chinese submarines project as well as they would be occupying space in KSEW. Thus the need to outsource!
Just a theory.

I am inclined to think amphibians are usefull in particular where you have an area with (groups of) (small) runwayless islands spread out across the area. Saves on infra, while allowing access. Could even be coupled to a 'mothership' i.e. a floating, mobile base-ship. From what I know about Pakistan's coast and EEZ, I don't see an obvious need: nothing that could not also be done (better) by Sea King or Orion.

Landing in open sea would only be possible in very mild sea states, I would think. And a radar track on the airplane could suggest something about the whereabouts of submarines, should the former be used to support the latter (plus: how would the former support the latter exactly?)
True!
I am of the same view. It is not something that we are in need of given the geography of our coastal areas and EEZ. We will be better served by some land based MPA and helicopters. Also add in those UAV and that pretty much meets our requirement.

If that is the case and there are no major upgrades/modifications made, i can understand. We could have done that our self as well right? I think the need to go to Turkey for a general overhaul (if that is what it is) indicate some progress on the Chinese submarines project as well as they would be occupying space in KSEW. Thus the need to outsource!
Just a theory.

Chinese sub deal seems to be in doldrums. No news enamating from Chinese Internet sources and no news from local sources. my guess is that it is a financial issue.

Chinese sub deal seems to be in doldrums. No news enamating from Chinese Internet sources and no news from local sources. my guess is that it is a financial issue.
There were reports suggesting that the Chinese were demanding that we clear the earlier debts first in order to get that further financial assistance we sought for the submarine deal. Frankly, i would like for us to improve the economic situation so that we can chose from the various options available and are not forced into the Chinese option. Not sure how good those boats actually are. The only assurance i have was from a PN officer serving on PNS Khalid who confirms that these Chinese subs are great and he said that for the Yuan class if i remember) that visited in Pakistan. What we were supposed to get was a further development of Yuan so that is one source that actually claims those boats to be excellent procurement. Other then that there is not much information available.

Lets see how things progress.

guess plane?
175743_1F.jpg
20160717_nzdf_c1033116_041.jpg

Commodore Syed Asad Karim SI(M) has been promoted to the rank of Rear Admiral .

Rear Admiral Syed Asad Karim was commissioned in Supply Branch of Pakistan Navy in 1984.

13658989_1196231043740833_4249428752044768337_n.jpg

speedboats.jpg

we should purchase or build hundred of these n equip them with c-701 missile having range up to 30km .Very Cheap n most effective.

Syrian+Navy+is+the+smallest+of+the+Syrian+Armed+Forces+missile+boats+antiship+missile+%28Yingji-82+or+YJ-82+CSS-N-8+Saccade+fired+tested+fired+%281%29.jpg

brimstone-sea-spear-490x326.jpg

guess plane?
175743_1F.jpg
20160717_nzdf_c1033116_041.jpg

P-3K2. That particular model is in service with Royal New Zealand Air Force.

We've a few too, but are looking to replace them with the P-8.

tkcr12BL9C6467.t4f605e42.m800.x2fd6c9f4.jpg

The bomb bay isn't that large on the P-3, hence why AShMs and mines are carried underwing. Lightweight torpedoes are carried internally.

Back
Top Bottom