Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan launches $500 million projects for Afghanistan development
  • IANS, Islamabad
    |
  • Updated: Feb 12, 2016 11:23 IST
afghan-men-ride_7b4b929c-d14c-11e5-94bd-a06a76346e8f.jpg

Afghan men ride on a motorcycle as the sun sets on the outskirts of Mazar-i-sharif. Pakistan has announced a number of projects with a cumulative value of $500 million for its neighbour, with plans to focus on Afghanistan’s education, health and infrastructure sectors. (AFP Photo)
Pakistan’s minister for Planning, Development and Reforms Ahsan Iqbal announced that the country has launched $500 million worth of projects for Afghanistan’s education, health and infrastructure sectors, the media reported on Friday.

Iqbal on Thursday said that 3,000 scholarships had been offered to Afghan students in different universities of Pakistan and 100 Afghan students would study in the Lahore University of Management Sciences, Dawn online reported.

Talking to an Afghan delegation comprising academicians, lawmakers, students and civil society members here, the minister said that Pakistan had desired to forge friendly relations with all its neighbours, including Afghanistan.

He underlined the need for greater exchanges of scholars, artists, businessmen and others to boost cooperation and friendly and brotherly relations between the two countries.

“We have to start a new chapter in Pakistan-Afghanistan relations by focussing on social and economic dimensions of the friendship,” Iqbal said, adding that two countries shared hundreds of years of history.

He said that the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor would play an important role in bringing people of the region closer besides improving economy of the entire region.

“If an untoward incident happens in Afghanistan, Pakistan will be the first country to feel its heat and it will affect the rest of the world later on,” he added.

Pakistan launches $500 million projects for Afghanistan development | world | Hindustan Times

Normally I would support moves which increase Pakistan's soft power abroad, but in the case of aid to Afghanistan we should know that this is totally pointless, as they will continue hating us due to our very existence as a state. In their eyes all the lands up to the Indus are "theirs" and some of the more hardcore ones believe all of Pakistan is "theirs" due to the historical borders of the Durrani Empire. Generations have been brainwashed by this idea, and throwing humanitarian projects at such a people hence will do jack s*** for our influence there. Better to spend this money on mining and properly manning the border, and dealing with them from a position of power, since historically the gun is the only thing they understand.

Already too many students from Afghanistan studying in my univ & more to come ?? :disagree: ..I know few students in my univ who were born in Peshawar but they love Afghanistan & consider Afghanistan their homeland..one month ago we went on trials-6 Islamabad from univ side after completing 4km of trail-6 then the student from Afghanistan told me while pointing toward margala Hill's he said that our land starts from here & when I asked him what do you mean your land ? he said that kpk + Fata is our territory :rofl: ..these idiots should be kicked out of Pakistan & there is no need to bring in more ppl..i will be more than happy if we bring in some Syrians & build houses for them in Pakistan..Syrians need more help than our western neighbor..spend 500$ million on them within Pakistan & build some schools, colleges,univ for them,we can bring in some educated Syrians & surely they will contribute to our economy..no matter how much u invest in Afghanistan they will never stop the blame game..

If our foreign affair establishment thinks that by wasting money for the Welfare of Afghanistan will help normalize the relations then they are only fooling themselves. Afghanistan as a whole is a nation of Snakes. Their is a history of their Backstabbing starting from Pre-Independence Era to Post-Independence Era of Pakistan.
Open border with Afghanistan is a Permanent threat and all the resources should be utilized to seal this border. These 500 Million Dollars could have been used for effective Border Management e-g Fencing the Border, mining the whole Border, Drone Surveillance and Strong Bunkers along the border. :hitwall:

Afghans don't hate Pakistan because we have done anything wrong to them. Afghans hate Pakistan because their minds are programmed that way. Now we will only be wasting our money in a hope to win their favour. Afghans and indians are going to hate Pakistanis forever. We need to spend money on becoming strong within.

Should have used this money to build a wall to keep terrorists out. But then again expecting foresight from Pakistani policy makers is asking for too much

The principle is right. A constructive force is respected by the people and Pakistan must be seen as such. Afghan Taliban, no matter how many in Pakistan consider them as legitimate resistance, are not seen as such by many in afghanistan and by the afghan diaspora.

May be the military planners also recommended the same thing. This is a good move, but will the govt fulfill it needs to be seen.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom