What's new

Pakistan is Russia’s ‘most important’ partner in South Asia: Putin

Great statement by Putin. It's nice to see improvement of Pakistan's relations with the Russians. The future of Pakistan will be brighter with the support and financial opportunities now coming from both China and Russia. :pakistan:

A lot of people SAY a lot of things,
what they DO is some thing different.

This statement from Putin is just a diplomatic flower, and that too with double consequences.

If I say I love you, than apparently you'd have to lower your rifle at me.
If I meant what i say all is good, if not then we have a huge problem.

A lot of people SAY a lot of things,
what they DO is some thing different.

This statement from Putin is just a diplomatic flower, and that too with double consequences.

If I say I love you, than apparently you'd have to lower your rifle at me.
If I meant what i say all is good, if not then we have a huge problem.

That is very true brother. However, it is a nice change and seeing it from the Chinese perspective, it is a good thing for both Pakistan and Russia. It means chances of enhancing developments is now on the table. Quite a contrast when compared to the 70's-80's. Regardless of how political it maybe, chances to improve relations should always be taken seriously. West cannot be trusted and personally I think the Russians are way more trustworthy than the west is. Just look at Eygpt, Iraq and Libya, how the west supported and then turned against them.

Times change, If I were the Pakistani decision makers.. Id bring in Russia more into the Afghan problem. Ask them to work in, and start giving them access to our ports. The Chinese must be taken into confidence before this, but I dont think they would mind giving the Americans more cause for concern.
Putin is a Russian revivalist.. he wants the old glory back, why not help him with it.

Putin was just speaking to the gallery ... Russia knows very well the pakistani support and sympathy for Chechnya rebels and other parts of central asia !

For Russia in today's changed scenario and in the future China is the main threat and not USA ! India and Russia will always stay as all weather friends!

Yes.......this all weather friendship is seen very recently when Russia canceled the Indian military contracts coz India was looking buyers in Europe and America other than Russia...:yahoo:

Yes.......this all weather friendship is seen very recently when Russia canceled the Indian military contracts coz India was looking buyers in Europe and America other than Russia...:yahoo:

do u know how much contracts presently have in their hand??more than 40 billion dollars:cry:

To try to build relations with Russia with the intention of serving as the alternative to India would be sheer idiocy.
Our approach to Russia must be without care of India's relations. We must also assure India that their "prem Kahani" with Russia will never be effected by our overtures and we would seek to undermine it.
We need to play on the Russians need to rise back.. a sort of eastern rise must be the underlying theme.

Damn... We again start with the "zero sum game" theories... Something which works in Pakistan's interest is not necessarily against Indian interest... and thus, I think we are confusing two important points

1. Russia's relationship with Pakistan: Russia is looking to come out of its economic slump and with reducing chinese demand for their products and coupled with the extremely high availability of liquid assets like GAS and infra companies and with the need to diversify business interests, Pakistan is as a smart strategic bet... Pakistan needs help to build its infrastructure and Russia needs a demand market and that fits perfectly and Russia might also look to take Pakistan's help to enter Middle east high tables (at least a supporting voice will certainly help) as Russia tries to spread its strategic clout in middle east, to establish themselves as big brothers of Asia and to hedge their bets against US and/or China (obviously Russians will not want a super strong china and very weak russia in Middle east and africa... that is just not good business for them)... So, to me , it sounds like a win win bet... Pakistan is looking for some help and russia is looking for some strong markets for the products that they can offer.

Russia has recently come out strongly and warned US and others against attacking Iran. Central Asia is their backyard and as per them, US has no business being there. It is something that they take seriously. this is a genuine extension of their outreach to take a hurt ally of US (Pakistan) in their fold, in a mutually beneficial relationship.

2. Russia's relationship with India: That is a time tested relationship and is independent of any other relationships. India has maintained it's relationships with Russia and Russia has backed India almost always. That does not mean that either of the countries are conjoined to not even work with others. Russian interests and investments in Indian nuclear power and indian involvement in joint defence programs (and the visible lack of interests in relevant defence hardware from US) is actually growing. I have no reason to believe that this, 'all weather' 'absolute' relationship between India and Russia turns ' hostile or relative' by a single initiative, action or statement. India and Russia are two large nations with independent existence and interests in global affairs. At the same time our civilian and defence partnerships have a certain 'absoluteness and consistency' about them.

Just because Russia has extended a hand at Pakistan does not mean anything for Indo-Russian friendship. So, why do we even try to defend or to find any hidden logic in this simple statement?

What is interesting to notice (as a student and observer of economics and geo-politics) is the quickly changing equations between US and Pakistan and the manouvering at Pakistan's and US's ends to find new friends. It also presents a great lesson for us Indians... Blind trust Americans at our own peril... always keep an eye open for their silly escapades nature... my 2 cents

indias has good relations with russia for many decades and it will continue,its just that russia wants to make a stronger asia since its relations werent that much good with pakistan it needed to take drastic steps to improve the same and i dont think it will be a hurdle or kill india-russia relations

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

then y u r burning just CHEERS man ! :rofl:

whos burning mate we have good relations with russia as well as usa we are in a win win situation currently

Damn... We again start with the "zero sum game" theories... Something which works in Pakistan's interest is not necessarily against Indian interest... and thus, I think we are confusing two important points

1. Russia's relationship with Pakistan: Russia is looking to come out of its economic slump and with reducing chinese demand for their products and coupled with the extremely high availability of liquid assets like GAS and infra companies and with the need to diversify business interests, Pakistan is as a smart strategic bet... Pakistan needs help to build its infrastructure and Russia needs a demand market and that fits perfectly and Russia might also look to take Pakistan's help to enter Middle east high tables (at least a supporting voice will certainly help) as Russia tries to spread its strategic clout in middle east, to establish themselves as big brothers of Asia and to hedge their bets against US and/or China (obviously Russians will not want a super strong china and very weak russia in Middle east and africa... that is just not good business for them)... So, to me , it sounds like a win win bet... Pakistan is looking for some help and russia is looking for some strong markets for the products that they can offer.

Russia has recently come out strongly and warned US and others against attacking Iran. Central Asia is their backyard and as per them, US has no business being there. It is something that they take seriously. this is a genuine extension of their outreach to take a hurt ally of US (Pakistan) in their fold, in a mutually beneficial relationship.

2. Russia's relationship with India: That is a time tested relationship and is independent of any other relationships. India has maintained it's relationships with Russia and Russia has backed India almost always. That does not mean that either of the countries are conjoined to not even work with others. Russian interests and investments in Indian nuclear power and indian involvement in joint defence programs (and the visible lack of interests in relevant defence hardware from US) is actually growing. I have no reason to believe that this, 'all weather' 'absolute' relationship between India and Russia turns ' hostile or relative' by a single initiative, action or statement. India and Russia are two large nations with independent existence and interests in global affairs. At the same time our civilian and defence partnerships have a certain 'absoluteness and consistency' about them.

Just because Russia has extended a hand at Pakistan does not mean anything for Indo-Russian friendship. So, why do we even try to defend or to find any hidden logic in this simple statement?

What is interesting to notice (as a student and observer of economics and geo-politics) is the quickly changing equations between US and Pakistan and the manouvering at Pakistan's and US's ends to find new friends. It also presents a great lesson for us Indians... Blind trust Americans at our own peril... always keep an eye open for their silly escapades nature... my 2 cents

even russians searching for market in burma too against chinese interst:)
pakistanis gets too much excited.I will suggest them to wait till last month when indo-russian dialogue will be held.

Indian friends....Let is accept the hard fact of this geopolitics....Russian are the samrtest guy who need to survive in the pseudo cold war scenario....Indian can not continue as it is doing now to get the benifit from both the sides from Russia and US too...I think at one point of time India has to make a call that either it should make itself so strong that it does not need to go with any one or it has to allign with US/Russia -China alliance to work against US.....

Excellent post by the standards of PDF, I called this a while ago, please see this thread.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-defence/64172-choice-india-nato-vs-sco.html

If Russia can be a stakeholder in strategic investments it could be a very big deal.

Back
Top Bottom