What's new

Pakistan buys Italian air defence system

Owais

Reaction score
Pakistan buys Italian air defence system

ROME (October 31 2007): Pakistan Air Force has purchased Spada 2000 air defence system from MDBA Italia, Defence News reported. Pakistan had earlier bought Falco UAV from Galileo Avionica, which is also Italian, delivery of which has already begun. Spada won the contract amid competition from Raytheon, Diehl BGT and Saab, Defence News said.

Business Recorder [Pakistan's First Financial Daily]

few days ago i was reading an article that italian products r not so good..but lets see how it goes

few days ago i was reading an article that italian products r not so good..but lets see how it goes

I guess you havent seen italian sports cars, otherwise you wouldnt be saying soo.

I think its not the matter of Italian Ferrari its the matter of National defence guys!!:tsk:

I have read about Spada some time ago its pretty reliable air defence system. I think Pakistan should be lookin for reverse engg it as i always say.

Any ways its a great news if Pakistan has bought it hopefully delivery starts soon :pakistan:

I think its not the matter of Italian Ferrari its the matter of National defence guys!!:tsk:

Its not the point of ferrari, its about italian products that according to him were not that good and ofcourse ferrari comes in it.

what happened to the HQ-9???:what:

how does the SPADA compare with the HQ-9???

is ToT involved in this deal???

I heard that the Sparda 2000 beat both Rythorn and SAAb in the competition to become Pakistans new air defence system so it has to be pritty inorder to do that

d32b5f68f02eee01ede4ba7d9fdd704a.gif

Spada 2000 Advanced Air Defence System, Italy

The Spada 2000 is an all-weather, day and night, highly automated, air defence system developed by MBDA (formerly Alenia Marconi Systems). The system has quick reaction time and requires very few operators to man the system. The unit can operate independently or can be integrated with national air defence centres. Spada 2000 is in production and in service with Spanish Air Forces.

The Spada 2000 is an upgraded version of the Spada air defence system providing significant operational and technological improvements, including increased firepower and range, and the capability of coordinating additional anti-air weapons.

In March 2007, Kuwait ordered the upgrade of its Aspide missile systems to Aspide 2000 / Spada 2000 configuration.

The system provides air defence missile coverage of 2,000km². Target detection and tracking range is up to 60km and the missiles can intercept crossing and approaching targets to a range of 25km. The kill probability is high, even against highly agile crossing targets. The system can engage up to four targets simultaneously with Aspide missiles.

CONFIGURATION

Spada 2000 is modularised and integrated into sheltered units, which provides a high tactical and strategic mobility. The system consists of a detection centre and either two or four firing sections, each section equipped with two missile launchers. Each missile launcher has six ready to fire Aspide 2000 missiles.

DETECTION CENTRE

The detection centre contains mission planning capability allowing fast and precise effective deployment of the weapons. The centre is fitted in a hardened shelter with an RAC-3D radar installed on a hydraulically operated mast on the roof of the shelter. The shelter houses the system's operating centre, including the voice and data communications suite.

Auxiliary equipment in the centre includes a global positioning system, a north finder, air conditioning and power supplies.

RAC-3D RADAR

Aspide 2000's radar is the Selex Sistemi Integrati (formerly Alenia Marconi Systems) RAC-3D, which gives three-dimensional volumetric air surveillance, detection and tracking. The system has the capacity to track 100 targets simultaneously within a range of 60km.

The radar is capable of operating in hostile electronic warfare environments and is robust against clutter interference and electronic countermeasures. The radar features emission control, jamming location, random frequency agility and coded waveforms. The radar's erectable antenna is up to 13m in height.

OPERATIONS CENTRE

The operations centre is manned by two operators for mission planning, system deployment and management during combat operations. The computer displays the air threat data in 3D coordinates.

The system tracks, identifies and prioritises the targets and assigns the firing sections to the priority targets. The targets can also be assigned to other anti-air weapon systems. The system is able to coordinate up to ten small anti-air weapons deployed within a 10km radius.

The operations centre can be connected to a remote upper level air defence command centre.

FIRING SECTION

The firing section consists of the tracking and illumination radar, the control unit and the missile launchers each with six ready-to-fire missiles. The radar carries out target acquisition, tracking and illumination functions for missile guidance.

The control unit is managed by a single operator. The unit controls all the functions from target designation to missile launch and target intercept and operates in manual or automatic mode.

COMMUNICATIONS

The communications suite includes the data links between the detection centre and the firing sections and also internal and external secure voice communications.

MISSILE

The Aspide 2000 missile is an upgraded version of the Aspide surface-to-air missile. The missile is capable of engaging hostile attack aircraft before the aircraft can release airborne standoff weapons. The Aspide 2000 is also capable of intercepting air-launched missiles once launched. The upgraded missile uses an enhanced single-stage rocket motor which provides increased missile speed, higher lateral acceleration and effective range.

The missile is also in service with the Italian Air Force and the Royal Thai Air Force as part of the Oerlikon Contraves Skyguard air defence system.

The high-thrust single-stage solid-propellant rocket motor provides high supersonic speed and high agility to intercept manoeuvring targets. The guidance system is semi-active radar homing.

bb52f36848505cfeb110cf76c2997740.jpg

e5e3407c685f309fb69a2a8ce9520e7c.jpg

f55b8eaf774ead72b5099aa92f9fa2dd.jpg

Army Technology - Spada 2000 - Advanced Air Defence System

d32b5f68f02eee01ede4ba7d9fdd704a.gif

Spada 2000 Advanced Air Defence System, Italy

The Spada 2000 is an all-weather, day and night, highly automated, air defence system developed by MBDA (formerly Alenia Marconi Systems). The system has quick reaction time and requires very few operators to man the system. The unit can operate independently or can be integrated with national air defence centres. Spada 2000 is in production and in service with Spanish Air Forces.

- Spada 2000 - Advanced Air Defence System[/url]

By the way its French owned now.

Regards

what happened to the HQ-9???:what:

how does the SPADA compare with the HQ-9???

is ToT involved in this deal???

This is a medium range air defence. Pakistan still has a need for a long range SAM system that would also be the basis of pakistan's anti ballistic system. So HQ-9 or the FT-2000 are still in the competition.
As for the TOT, pakistan wanted the system with complete TOT, i dont know about this one but it must have been with TOT. I remember pakistan rejected PAC3 beacuse it was not coming with TOT.

What impresses me about this system is that it is able to intercept air launched missiles. I don't know if that is a standard feature of such systems or if the PAF already has that capability, but I certainly think that's an important defence to have.

this is indeed good news - need to upgrade the existing Crotale ASM system.

Some more detail on the deal...

Italian Companies Find Foothold in Pakistani Market

ROME — European missile house MDBA has signed to supply the Pakistan Air Force with the Spada 2000 air defense system, produced by the Italian-controlled part of the firm, MBDA Italia. The signing follows a previous deal by Italy’s Galileo Avionica to sell its Falco UAV to Pakistan.
The two deals have yet to be confirmed by the manufacturers, possibly due to contractual stipulations, even though the Spada signing was reportedly carried out in August and Falco deliveries are well under way.
MBDA Chief Executive Antoine Bouvier declined to comment when asked about the Spada contract at the DSEI show in London last month, although industrial sources confirmed the sale.
The C-130 transportable Spada system, which is used by Italy and Spain, uses a 60-kilometer-range radar and two firing sections, each containing two missile launchers hosting six Aspide 2000 missiles each. The missiles can intercept targets more than 20 kilometers away.
Industrial sources said the Spada system had beaten competition from Raytheon, Diehl BGT and Saab to win the Pakistan contract.
MBDA Italia represents the 25 percent stake held in MBDA by Italy’s Finmeccanica group.
Finmeccanica unit Galileo Avionica has meanwhile completed delivery of one Falco UAV system to Pakistan, with a second system due for delivery and an option on a third. Each system contains four UAVs and a ground control station.
The medium-altitude surveillance UAV, which made its debut flight in 2003, is built to host electro-optic and infrared sensors, as well as radar if required. Pakistan is reportedly taking some sensors from Galileo Avionica as part of the deal and adding some of its own.
As the Falco is deployed by Pakistan, the Italian Air Force’s Predator UAVs, also assembled by Galileo Avionica in Italy under license from General Atomics, are flying across the Pakistan border in Afghanistan and one was used in September to track kidnappers escaping with two captured Italian intelligence agents.
The agents were subsequently freed by U.K. and Italian special forces, although both were wounded in the operation, with one subsequently dying. å

this is indeed good news - need to upgrade the existing Crotale ASM system.
They have been upgradeg to Cortale-2000 already. :)

Regards
Wilco

Back
Top Bottom