What's new

Pakistan ‘agrees’ to restore Nato supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

21 Dec 2012

Reaction score
Pakistan ‘agrees’ to restore Nato supplies
The civilian and military leadership has agreed in principle to revive normal relations with US-led forces in Afghanistan and restore Nato supplies through its land. Senior US officials in Washington also say they have been informed by Pakistani authorities that a high-level meeting in Islamabad on Wednesday agreed in principle to restore supplies for NATO forces. President Asif Ali Zardari presided over the meeting and was attended by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani Air Chief Marshal Qamar Suleman and DG ISI Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha. Senior coalition leaders including Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi, the ANP Chief Asfandyar Wali Khan and MQM leader Farooq Sattar were also attending the meeting. The rare meeting of the country’s top civilian and military leadership as well as key allies was called just days ahead of the joint session of the parliament that will mark the new parliamentary year but will mainly focus on the debate on the future relationship with the US and NATO allies. Although the government spokesmen told the media that the meeting reiterated the government’s earlier stance that the parliament will take decision on the NATO supply and relationship with the US, the leaders agreed to restore land route for NATO and revive normal ties with the US. Senior US officials in Washington said they have been conveyed after the Islamabad meeting about the decisions. In return the U.S. will also allow the equipments delivery to Pakistan which had been blocked after Islamabad blocked NATO supply line in November. Pakistan blocked supplies for nearly 150,000 NATO troops in Afghanistan as protest against the air strikes by the American fighter jets and helicopters in Muhmand triabl region and killed 24 soldiers. Pakistan had also vacated the key Shamsi airbase from the US army and had boycotted the Bonn conference on Afghanistan as a protest. Pakistan had also refused to welcome top US military leaders and diplomats until parliamentary review is completed, which had also been delayed for some time. But the meeting also decided to receive the top US visitors whenever they want to visit Pakistan and they agreed with the proposed visit of the US Centcom chief General Mathis, who is likely to visit later this month.

The politicians & army is only bringing shame to Pakistani public... disgusting ..:fie:

the news is been coming since 2 months,its a fact the land route will become hell route if its restored again

except the pamper nappies which will be supplied :cheesy:

wrong move,Pakistan should have hold on to its position
i don't know how many times the govt,politicians & the military leadership will let the people down ? really disappointed :hitwall:

Pakistan never blocked the supplies.

Trucks continued to trickle, contrary to popular belief.

I have been listening to this from the last 3 months.. Infact i even remember 2 weeks after Salala attack, in Jang newspaper, I read this...tht contacts have been re established and next week supplies will be reopened..Lets see what happens.

general Pasha was the last hurdle, he left ,supplies start:smokin:

I would rather wait for those recommendations which are made today, let them to be tabled at first.

so basically NATO doesn't need to pay smugglers anymore to transport the goods clandestinely?? Atleast the money will go to pak's exchequer instead of ganglord's coffers!! good move..

general Pasha was the last hurdle, he left ,supplies start:smokin:

BS...

Pasha did not left, he was retired.

so basically NATO doesn't need to pay smugglers anymore to transport the goods clandestinely?? Atleast the money will go to pak's exchequer instead of ganglord's coffers!! good move..

No money of Afghan supplies always goes to the pockets of ANP.

it was bound to happen;)

amreeki need a way out from Afghanistan, the only way out goes through Pakistan... I'm sure some better terms are decided,

but Pakistan should remember, once amreeki are out of here, a wrath is to follow...

ofcourse mil bases will remain in Afghanistan, that shall monitor the affairs for some times, but I dont think so mil bases would be able to sustain...

lets wait for the republicans !!

If this in Pakistan interest then do it. But no more discount and tax free supply. We should charge tax on it because Nato trucks and tankers are effecting the condition of Roads very badly.:coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom