What's new

Pakistan’s regional languages face looming extinction

All these regional languages should die. Only English and Urdu should flourish in Pakistan. In a 100 years from now, we should finish off Urdu as well and just have English.

There is no need for these inferior and useless languages. Why should school kids bear the burden of 3 languages at a time? Just learning English and Urdu is hard enough for kids.

Even Islamic studies and Pakistan studies should be taught in English. Why are these subjects taught in Urdu? It's just stupidity.

Urdu should be taught as a subject only up to the 8th grade. No need to have this subject in Matriculation/O levels.

Last edited:
All these regional languages should die. Only English and Urdu should flourish in Pakistan. In a 100 years from now, we should finish off Urdu as well and just have English.

There is no need for these inferior and useless languages. Why should school kids bear the burden of 3 languages at a time? Just learning English and Urdu is hard enough for kids.

Even Islamic studies and Pakistan studies should be taught in English. Why are these subjects taught in Urdu? It's just stupidity.

Urdu should be taught as a subject only up to the 8th grade. No need to have this subject in Matriculation/O levels.

Language was one of the reasons East Pakistan wanted independence. In fact, there were riots in East Pakistan when the government tried to replace Bengali with Urdu. Nothing wrong with multiple languages existing. One should not be at the expense of the other.

Language was one of the reasons East Pakistan wanted independence. In fact, there were riots in East Pakistan when the government tried to replace Bengali with Urdu. Nothing wrong with multiple languages existing. One should not be at the expense of the other.
No doubt you are right about former East Pakistan. I accept that.

But parallels cannot be drawn between Bengali language and the current regional languages of Pakistan. Moreover, only a few regressive stupids want these regional languages to stay.

Bengali's case was altogether different. The language riots took place in an era when hardly 13% of the population knew Urdu. This is not the case now.

-------------------------------------
Regional languages should not be explicitly banned. There are always subtle ways to do things. Quaid-e-Azam miscalculated when he openly called for Urdu to be the national language. In hindsight, it was a mistake.

It's better to let these languages die on their own. Just don't make them part of the education system. However, Inter-provincial harmony must be maintained.

I don't know who gave u the authority to comment on us. no one in East Pakistan had language or culture in mind in 1971. it was based on political nonsense, among other things.

and wht do u mean by "language riots"? civil servants in East Pakistan most of whom didn't have knowledge of Urdu were replaced in the initial months of Pakistan's inception. they were replaced by Biharis who knew Urdu. this caused some friction with civil servants demoted to provincial posts, who then agitated against this fast-imposed rule. Punjabis, kpk walas already had Urdu as language of literature since the 1800s so it wasn't a problem for them. anyways everyone in East Pakistan learnt Urdu as third language for 3 years from 6th to 8th standard. only difference was it wasn't our language of instruction. we learnt Urdu as link language

STRAYA mate.
Sydney, that crazy big *** city.
Enjoyed NYE fireworks show?

lol I have been to the fireworks only once in Sydney............never again, especially if you have kids, it took us 3 hrs to get home. I hate Sydney, I have only been here for about 4 yrs before that i was in Melb for about 13 yrs, longer than i was in Pakistan and i can tell you Melb is the best city in the world. If it wasn't for my wife i would go back to Melb in a heart beat.

Mirpuri is dying out among the new generations in england among the british pakistani's and even my generation can't speak their mother tongue.

lol I have been to the fireworks only once in Sydney............never again, especially if you have kids, it took us 3 hrs to get home. I hate Sydney, I have only been here for about 4 yrs before that i was in Melb for about 13 yrs, longer than i was in Pakistan and i can tell you Melb is the best city in the world. If it wasn't for my wife i would go back to Melb in a heart beat.
yeah Sydney is not my cup of tea, too big and congested. I have never been to Sydney for the fireworks something i would want to do but for living, not really unless it is the only choice i have. Gold Coast is just the perfect city for me not too big not too small.
yeah i went to Melbourne few weeks ago and man i love Victoria's landscape, gives you more of a European feeling.

my comprehension of Pukhtu is limited, i can understand it but only if spoken slowly.......but i can't speak properly and when i do people make fun of me and tell me to stick to urdu.
My problem exactly. My grand father from dad's side was actually a third generation Karachite, and pretty much every member of their family either married to Sindhis or Urdu speaking Pashtuns in Karachi. From mum's side they're third generation Azad Kashmiris of Islamabad. My connection to my Pashtun side is very limited and I've never been taken seriously whenever I've tried to mingle in the culture or try to speak the language. Unfortunately, there are still Pashtuns who believe that once you're mixed with another ethnic and speak another language, there's no way back for you.

This is fvcking wrong.. marry a Pashtun girl and let her teach you and your children..
For a Pashtun man to marry non-Pashtun women is easy, but it's not the same for Pashtun women in afraid. :(

But parallels cannot be drawn between Bengali language and the current regional languages of Pakistan. Moreover, only a few regressive stupids want these regional languages to stay.
That's an absurd claim to make. Beauty lies in diversity, in different culture, different language, different form of art. If everything in the world converts just English then would there be as much of pleasure and joy at festivals, weddings, festive seasons, cultural gatherings, etc etc?

If tool to success lies in English then countries like China should have been a failure at all fronts. Not only are the Chinese proud of their language and heritage, but they're one do the most progressive nations (in every aspect) despite lack of verbal and written English knowledge among its people.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom