What's new

PAF, PN Marines at Ex. Bright Star 2009 - Egypt

blain2

ADVISORS
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
No. 7 sqn (Mirage ROSE) is attending ex. Bright star. Aircraft being readied for Ex. Bright Star.

http://www.app.com.pk/photo/photo_lib/16-10-2009/12a17f53dfd1c1ceb1a62d538482c6d2.jpg

Courtesy PAKDEF via dvidshub:

Pakistani and US Marines during Exercise Bright star 2009. PAF Special Service Wing officers attending briefing at Fort Bragg, NC in preparation for Bright star 2009.
http://www.dvidshub.net/img_show.php?id=212173
http://www.dvidshub.net/img_show.php?id=212170
http://www.dvidshub.net/img_show.php?id=207459

Which countries other than Egypt and Pakistan are participating??

I'd have loved to hear that Our Inflight Refueling Capable mirages would've gone there by refueling themselves in air in a continous flight.

this'd have helped PAF experiment the refueling capability as well as endurance of these mirages.

Last edited:
More Info:
The U.S. military gives the name Operation Bright Star to two different operations:

* A large U.S. Air Force training exercise conducted in August 1960. The coincident Army training was called Operation Pine Cone II.
* A series of biennial combined and joint training exercises by American and Egyptian forces in Egypt. These exercises began in 1981. Designed to strengthen ties between the Egyptian and American militaries and demonstrate and enhance the ability of the Americans to reinforce their allies in the Middle East in the event of war; these deployments usually are centered at the large Cairo West Air Base. During the period following the liberation of Kuwait (Operation Desert Storm), these exercises grew larger and have included as many as 11 countries and 70,000 personnel. Other allied nations joining Bright Star exercises in Egypt have included France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Pakistan, Jordan, Kuwait, the Netherlands, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.

Last edited by a moderator:
The C-17 paradrop included PAF SSW.

"Yesterday’s Bright Star excercise included a strategic airborne jump of more than 300 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division partnering with Egyptian, German, Kuwaiit, and Pakistani paratroopers, while more than 1,000 Marines from the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit hit Al Amein Beach by amphibious landing with their Bright Star counterparts."
http://www.centcom.mil/en/press-releases/bright-star-begins-in-egypt.html

Bright Star exercise brings foreign solders to Bragg

A staff report

During the past week, Fort Bragg soldiers made parachute jumps with Egyptian, German, Kuwaiti and Pakistani soldiers.

The airborne operations were Fort Bragg's part of the Bright Star exercise, which the United States and Egypt have been doing for almost three decades.

The 2nd Brigade of the 82nd Airborne Division is the host for the Fort Bragg portion of the exercise from Sept. 28 to Oct. 11. About 180 Fort Bragg soldiers will go to Egypt after the Fort Bragg exercise.

The 1st Battalion of the 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment is conducting much of the training on the ground.

The airplanes took off at Pope Air Force Base and the jumps were into Fort Bragg's Sicily Drop Zone.

The corresponding military training exercises in Egypt involve a dozen countries and are designed to build stronger bonds among the military forces of those nations.

The coalition of military forces participating in the exercises also includes France, Greece, Italy, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and the United Kingdom.

The training exercise will take place in Cairo and Alexandria from Oct. 10-26, and will include airborne, aviation, and naval and Marine field training exercises, along with a multinational command post battle-tracking exercise.

Last edited:
Which countries other than Egypt and Pakistan are participating??

The countries participating in this year's Bright Star are the following: U.S., Egypt, Turkey, Jordan, Kuwait, Greece, Italy, Germany, Great Britain, France, and Pakistan.

U.S. troops lead Egyptian, Pakistani soldiers in urban training
Print E-mail
U.S. Army Central Public Affairs

Marines take up firing positions Thursday during urban combat training as part of Exercise Bright Star 09/10 in Egypt.
Marines take up firing positions Thursday during urban combat training as part of Exercise Bright Star 09/10 in Egypt.

MUBARAK MILITARY CITY, Egypt (Oct. 15, 2009) — American, Egyptian, and Pakistani troops trained side-by-side on Military Operations in Urban Terrain in one of many training exercises conducted at Exercise Bright Star 2009.

“The mission today is mainly to observe (the Egyptian and Pakistani) culture and for them to observe our culture. (We are) sharing our training experiences so that in the future, if we have to work together, it’s a little easier because we already know how each other works, so it’s easier to accomplish the mission,” said Sgt. 1st Class Gerald Rouse, platoon sergeant, 2nd Platoon, 1st Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment.

In 1981, Bright Star started with two nations, Egypt and the United States. Now, 28 years later, service members from France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Pakistan, Turkey and the United Kingdom train with Americans and Egyptians to build relationships and develop, refine and improve interoperability in this region. U.S. Central Command and Third Army spearheaded this year’s operation.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but you only see SSW personnel in the first shot, moving into the training facility building. In that shot, you also see an Egyption (I think) soldier point his SMG at the back of the soldier in front of him. I remember from a documentary on the Canadian Forces way back in the day, this could earn one some rough treatment from the instructors.

The countries participating in this year's Bright Star are the following: U.S., Egypt, Turkey, Jordan, Kuwait, Greece, Italy, Germany, Great Britain, France, and Pakistan.
How did they get them to work together? Very influential people, these Americans.

On a serious note, though, does SSW do much urban combat training? I think we discussed this previously, that is more the role of the SSG. There are pictures on a few other threads of SSG personnel conducting CQB and "MOUT" training. The SSW is primarily for CSAR, emergency airstrip preparation etc. Maybe you could highlight a little more on this. Thanks for posting this.

if i am not wrong these type of exercises are grueling on the fighter jets...in terms of structural fatigue are we actually doing the right thing by sending such fighters so far away to participate in exercises? and i wonder how our Mirages held up against more advanced fighters......and were any AWACS involved? after all except pakistan every country named as a participant has some sort of airborne surveillance system inducted in their airforce......

if i am not wrong these type of exercises are grueling on the fighter jets...in terms of structural fatigue are we actually doing the right thing by sending such fighters so far away to participate in exercises? and i wonder how our Mirages held up against more advanced fighters......and were any AWACS involved? after all except pakistan every country named as a participant has some sort of airborne surveillance system inducted in their airforce......
International exercises of such kind are a part of training. They also serve the secondary purpose of conducting international relations. In other words, there is much to gain from them, but there is also a lot of bureaucracy and BS. Also, scores are rarely every released from such exercises since, like I said, these are for training purposes. It's not like a test, it's homework.

If you asked because of the Red Flag thing, well, the only reason we knew the IAF performed below expectations in Red Flag USA was because of the video featuring the Colonel letting the genie out of the bottle. Otherwise, we would have never had the chance to laugh so much. That was a rare incident, and everyone will make sure it is never repeated, especially the Americans.

Back
Top Bottom