What's new

Operation Zarb-e-Azb | Updates, News & Discussions.

after reading your innocent question I looked at your avatar and that reminded me of a dialogue between Qudrat Ullah Shahab and President Ayub Khan,.

he says that he told the president that China had launched an attack on the Indians and it was a good time to open a Kashmir front and liberate it from the Indians.

disgusted and annoyed by the sheer ignorance and stupidity of Khawaja Sahib, President just commented that he had no clue what he was talking about as if mobilizing thousands of troops was like picking up a stick and a hat from the hanger and go to war.

planning a large scale troops movement, deployment and engagement of an enemy demands, time and resources and also the planning and deciding who will cover their current positions. such 100K troops you are advocating to join the operation are not spending their time in R& but are currently deployed elsewhere.. dong exactly which any other force of the world does, training and protecting borders.
not so long ago Indians started a border war and threatened to tech us a lesson with possible mobilization of their troops. do you have any clue how long will it take our troops to disengage from the operation and rush back to defensive positions to the east? when minutes and hours matter and decide the fate of our country?

no need to post. the perpetrators must be members of Rashid Dostum or other warlords. some others Afghans will suffer the consequences now.

by the way, such videos and acts are aimed to create rifts between Pakistan and Afghanistan after the recent cooperation and support since General Raheel took over and Ghani became president.

Quite debatable, how long time an army general takes to come out of his yacht!

It's time like these when a fuel-air explosive bomb would work wonders...

Last what i heard, they are trying to encircle them fully and trap them, cordon of their escape routes. Takfeeris are loosing numbers by the dozens, there have been pictures posted online of PA filling trucks with their corpses and taking them away.

Initial casualties were unexpected as the horde of them attacked a lightly defended ridge, despite the odds PA managed to hold that ridge but took many casualties in the process. Reinforcements have arrived, and counter attack has already been launched backed by Cobras and PAF Assets in the Air.

Inshallah we will prevail

As per Waj S Khan, Casualties are around 200. If it's true it is regrettable to loose such an amount of soldiers on a ridge which could be taken later on if they had retreated.

I believe the casualties could've been avoided if we had an early warning of some sort...

This here indicates poor surveillance and failure of intelligence. Only a surprise attack as such can cause such massive casualties.

As per Waj S Khan, Casualties are around 200. If it's true it is regrettable to loose such an amount of soldiers on a ridge which could be taken later on if they had retreated.

I have my sincere doubts about this number. Although Waj S Khan is a very reliable source, i have my doubts about this number.

That's a company size number, that means the entire company was wiped out? Usually a Company is backed up by other Assets 24/7 which can be called upon within minutes for backup. If we lost a number of this magnitude, it would be a Day of Mourning for the entire Nation.

Only a surprise attack can cause casualties of this number, but even with surprise PA's positions are well fortified and defended. Ridges are usually not protected by a Company Size Force. The mere fact that PA defended and held that ridge, means casualties of those magnitude simply could not have occurred.

With respect to Waj S Khan, i would need something more concrete.

It's dejavu all over again. What makes Tirah valley such a pain in the back side?

The 200 seems very inflated. Are we to assume that such a large force was tasked with defending one ridge and couldn't get the job done?

Were they attacked by a 1000 ttp? There is no way we missed a gathering of such a large force with our intelligence capabilities.

It's dejavu all over again. What makes Tirah valley such a pain in the back side?

Tirah-Valley.jpg

600347_327088987394180_1491973978_n.jpg

232323.jpg

image.jpg

3432434.jpg

3343.jpg
213213123.jpg

123123.jpg

@Rajput_Pakistani, I have not quoted your entire post for space reasons, but have simply retained the parts I thought most relevant.

But it is a very interesting, helpful and detailed analysis. Thanks for your effort.

Why Tirah valley is important:

Tirah Valley a very strategic area remains an important objective for at least 3 large militant groups. TTP, Lashker-e-Islam, Ansar-ul-Islam are the main contenders. Lashker-e-Islam is a Deobandi group, while Ansar-ul-Islam is a Brelvi group. Recent years witnessed bloody skirmishes between these two as both tried to take control of this strategic valley. LI naturally was supported by TTP, as AI remain in a truce with Pakistani state.........

.......... If Tirah Valley is taken over by PA, then if i am not wrong, TTP will lose its 80% strength straight away. As they will be isolated in North Waziristan with supplies cut off from across the border. And if they take over control of this valley, then their strength will multiply and all gains made in past few years could be in danger.

Recent history of Tirah valley:

As I said before during winters, there remains a lull in fight. In March this year, TTP and LI with the onset of summer, started offensive against AI in Tirah valley. PAF and PA supported AI through aerial support. ...... Fall of Tirah valley to TTP obviously ring alarms in PA leadership.

Pakistani Army tactics at Tirah valley:

Coming to this latest battle in Tirah now, I have read many posts on why PA is acting now? I think I have tried to answer that above. Also people have been asking why SSG are being used. The answer to this could be found in reading details of “Operation Raah-e-Nijat”.

Remember Swat operations and capture of Peochar Valley?
Peochar Valley closely resembles Tirah valley. Mountains and thick forests make it impossible to use gunships and artillery to root out well dug militants. Only way is to put boots on grounds. Now, if you start operation from downhill towards up, you will be a sitting duck. PA used SSG drop on mountain, then clear some area to allow more infantry dropped there, and then start clearing the hill. This method is also very dangerous, but still plausible as compared to uphill attack......

On your description of PA tactics, it seems the SSG is being used as the 'tip of the spear' with the intention of first entering enemy territory near or on the mountain tops, clearing and holding the area until the infantry can get in.

Starting at or near the top seems to be key as opposed to starting from the foothill. That would suggest that the SSG and succeeding infantry waves are being 'heli-dropped', which suggest the extensive use of helicopters? Not sure how they'd land near the mountain tops otherwise.

200 figure is definitely an exegeration. Still loss is high. A thorough in estigation is needed. Survalliance should be improved.

Someone told me, the 35 punjab was given a intel about the presence of 20 talibs on a ridge, turned out there were more than 20 and poor 35 punjab got pinned heavily.

My question is... is this an offensive operation or a counter strike. My information is that it is an offensive operation where ANA is helping by blocking the exits on Afghan side.... I hope this is the final show down which breaks the back of TTP...

How come such large numbers of Kharjis went unnoticed ?
Weren't we using surveillance assets in Tirah along with human Intel ?
Or was it a deliberate policy of PA to lure them on our side of the border & then try to encircle & eliminate them ?

Sounds like a business as usual operation which uncovered a major terrorist hive and then escalated into a full blown engagement.

Near 23 march, I think taliban wanted to launch a spring offensive but they didn't thought with so much taliban the couldn't be able to take a single ridge. Now they are trapped and IA they will be flushed out.

Back
Top Bottom