What's new

Oiling the wheels on a road to success in Saudi Arabia

KSA has 4 universities in the top 500 according to the most recent (2016) Shanghai Ranking of the world's universities.
Two (King Abdulaziz University and King Saud University) which are number 111 and 112 respectively worldwide.
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology is number 224 while King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals is number 326.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2016.html

King Abdulaziz University (KAU) is ranked 6th worldwide in mathematics.

King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals is ranked 23 and King Saud University is ranked 113.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/SubjectMathematics2015.html

In chemistry King Abdulaziz University is ranked 36 worldwide. King Abdullah University of Science and Technology is number 57. King Saud University is ranked 163.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/SubjectChemistry2015.html

In computer science King Abdulaziz University is ranked as number 27. King Abdullah University of Science and Technology is number 55. King Saud University is ranked as number 165.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/SubjectCS2015.html

Physics is the subject that is in need of improvement. However no university in the top 200 (Shanghai ranking is only showing top 200 in all those 5 categories - the last one is business/economics which I do not include here) from the MENA can be found in the physics category. All universities in the top 200 are Western (vast majority) except a few dozen Japanese, South Korean, 6 Chinese, 1 Indian, 1 Brazilian, 1 Singaporean, 1 Mexican, 1 Indian and 2 Russian. Israel has 3 as well.

Likewise 19 of the 100 best universities in the Arab world, can be found in KSA.

Overall, in the Muslim world and MENA region, only Israel is doing better than KSA.

ARAB NEWS | Published — Saturday 18 June 2016

education-and-students.jpg

JEDDAH: Nineteen Saudi universities were ranked among the QS top 100 Arab Universities for the year 2015-2016.
The King Fahad University for Petroleum and Mineral Resources ranked first among Arab universities for the second year in a row, while American University in Beirut ranked second. King Saud University emerged third, King Abdulaziz University fourth and Um Al-Qura University ranked 18th.
QS is one of the most prestigious and famous institutions with respect to university classifications around the world, in addition to the Time Higher Education World University Ranking, and the Academic Ranking for World Universities.
This latest ranking comes after evaluation of 192 universities out of 270 in 21 countries. The ranking relies on a comprehensive evaluation and nine criteria, as well as opportunities and challenges facing regional and global universities, and excellence achieved.
The classification relies on criteria such as answers from academics around the world regarding the best universities for research in their fields, the ratio of faculty to students, publication of studies for members of the educational cadre and the quality of education, and the proportion of foreign students.
QS also looks at the university’s educational reputation and employment prospects for graduates, the university’s website, and the number of published studies and citations for such studies.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/941261/saudi-arabia

Not bad by any means however there is room for much improvement and it is very encouraging that large sums of money (over 10% of the state budget if I recall) is invested in education and that this field is a key area of improvement in the Saudi Vision 2030.

http://vision2030.gov.sa/en

KSA might be one of the richest countries on the planet in terms of natural resources, minerals etc. but human wealth is the most important resource. KSA has a growing population and one of the youngest populations in the world so investing in the youth is the best investment that one can make. The educational sector, especially the public educational sector, is in need of serious reforms which will hopefully arrive sooner rather than latter.

@alarabi @Bubblegum Crisis @Decisive Storm @azzo @Full Moon @الأعرابي

Brothers, if you see this post please tell if the tagging worked. It seems that the tag function is not working properly.

Also lastly I believe that regional cooperation is needed. Even with countries like Israel. Education should be separate from politics.

After accepting a peace deal, we can talk about that.

That would be the most ideal scenario. There is the Arab Peace Initiative for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Peace_Initiative

However I really don't see why I, as an chemical engineering, could not work with an Israeli colleague, who has a 20% chance of being a fellow Arab (Palestinian) or a 50% chance of being an Israeli Jew of Arab Jewish or partial Arab Jewish origin. In general I believe that education and science should be separate from politics. What have 2 such individuals to do with politics and decision makings? Nothing.

Anyway I meant all friendly states and in particular fellow Arab and Muslim states. There is a lot of cooperation in Europe between educational institutions and private firms and between your average scientist. This seems to be lacking in our region.

For instance KSA and Pakistan should be cooperating much closer on this front if you ask me. Just to mention 1 example. KSA and Egypt is another example. We really lack those kind of networks in the Muslim world IMO.

Why should we look towards the West when we can built our own institutions and networks? You don't built a Harvard overnight but you should start from somewhere. Look at KAUST. A shinning example of what money and the right politics can do. This should have been done DECADES ago instead of sending thousands upon thousands of students abroad. We all know that many of those students are wasting their time by studying English and other nonsense. Wasting their talents. The system has enabled this waste to occur for too long. Thankfully this has changed but damn, it took a long time.
Have we forgotten our proud educational/scientific past? Less than 20 generations ago our lands in the Arab world were the center of science and education. It was the case for millennia in pre-Islamic times as well. I think it is about time to change the current embarrassing sitaution, don't you think? It's not like we are lacking people and thus talented people. Problem is that they are wasted in our current systems or live abroad. Actually I do not blame them as I know this from first hand myself.

Symptoms of underlining problems. Do I need to say more than Saudi Arabian women and workforce? I don't think so! All it takes is a change of policy which hopefully MBS will initiative as seen in the Saudi Vision 2030.

Last edited:

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2016.html

King Abdulaziz University (KAU) is ranked 6th worldwide in mathematics.

King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals is ranked 23 and King Saud University is ranked 113.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/SubjectMathematics2015.html

In chemistry King Abdulaziz University is ranked 36 worldwide. King Abdullah University of Science and Technology is number 57. King Saud University is ranked 163.

That's impressive,
When it comes to education, Saudi Arabia is doing so fine and progressing rapidly.
Not to mention that King AbdulAziz University (KAU) ranked 5th worldwide in engineering/technology and computer sciences for the current year.

do.php

That's impressive,
When it comes to education, Saudi Arabia is doing so fine and progressing rapidly.
Not to mention that King AbdulAziz University (KAU) ranked 5th worldwide in engineering/technology and computer sciences for the current year.

do.php

Indeed, very promising, however improvements are needed. Case in point.

Saudi Arabian Technologies

Mohammed Abdullah, marketing manager of Morni

Tarek Taleb cofounder of ZCube

First 3-D printer in Arabic fills a gap in the market

Controllex CEO Saleh Alwallan

Nov 11, 2016

By Layan Damanhouri
Saudi Gazette

A number of Saudi youth have decided to replace their traditional day job to a full-time career of innovation and creation in order to offer brand new products and services to the market.​

Many startups get a boost by joining an incubator or accelerator in the first phase of the project. One program is Badir Program Technology Incubator launched by KACST in 2008 to help entrepreneurs create information and communications technologies.

Saudi Gazette caught up with a number of Saudi entrepreneurs from the Badir program who created Saudi-made products that not only cater to the local market but have already started to go global.

Auto service app gains popularity
‘Morni’, or ‘pass by me’ in Arabic, has become a popular service among guys, according to entrepreneurs and experts in the industry.

What used to be a hassle when a car breaks down in the middle of the road now has a solution through a mobile app.

“If someone is driving and runs into an emergency with their car, it’s both embarrassing and time-consuming to look for a friend to help out,” marketing manager Mohammed Abdullah told Saudi Gazette. “They could be busy, at work, or too far to arrive.”

Users of Morni can choose from a variety of services, namely towing, battery replacement, tire issues, oil change, and fuel delivery.

It’s popular because it solves the frustration of drivers by finding the nearest person to help out, says Abdullah. The drivers arrive at the clients’ exact locations.

Since its launch a little over a year ago, Morni currently has 90,000 users in the Kingdom and the GCC as well as 350,000 downloads. “The business was a success. We’re the first in the market,” says Abdullah. “Other competitors in the market don’t cover all the services we have.”

“We encourage young Saudis to participate and we only take a small stake from them,” he adds. “We take 10% from Saudis and 15% from non-Saudis. For students, however, we don’t take any percentage to support them.”

Users have to submit their drivers’ licenses, insurance, and IDs in addition to go through a short training before they can be approved by the app. Afterwards, their profiles are put in the app with their name and mobile number.

The cost of services like towing is according the meter. Other services have prices determined in the app for users to choose.

One Remote Control for all
A remote control to for all controls is unified into one app with the Controllex, a Saudi startup.

Controlling several devices in just one smartphone app would make one’s life easier in different ways, according to CEO of Controllex Saleh Alwallan.

The Controllex can integrate an unlimited number of devices, from air conditioners, lights, TV, and other appliances from a smartphone app.

It can also control garage doors, blinds, and other smart home features.

“You’d never have to worry about your home being too hot when you get home from work because you could turn the air conditioning and fans on half an hour before you get there,” says Alwallan.

Forgetting to turn off the lights at home doesn’t require one to call a neighbor or a friend when the app operates from anywhere.

The Controllex device is a 6.5 cm by 4 cm device, designed to be portable, green, and sound-free. It functions near devices within a 9-meter radius.

Using wifi, the remotes send duplicated signal from the Controllex to the device.

“Home automation is very expensive and sometimes limited to the manufacturer’s brand,” says Alwallan when asked about competitors in the market.

It is also easy to install and use, he says. “It takes less than 90 seconds to set it up.”

“We’re doing it to have fun,” adds Alwallan who has a knack for technologies. It took a year to design and launch the product.

Controllex is built for consumers with a high quality commands and dedicated cloud so it can be

“From a business point of view, it saves a lot of energy, empowers people to do things wireless,” he said.

Mosques, for instance, require turning on the air conditioning at all times to ensure cool indoor temperatures. With smart technologies, air conditioning can only be turned on when the temperature reaches a certain limit.

The Controllex aims to go on in sale in January and sell both in the Kingdom and worldwide.

First Saudi-made 3-D printer

“Shakeer” is the first 3-D printer with Arabic interface in the market made by Saudi manufacturers Z-Cube 3D Solutions.​

“We eliminated the language barrier where we set up an Arabic operating system. This was an accessibility problem for those who are interested in the technology but did not speak foreign languages,” said Z-Cube founder Tarek Al Talib.

3-D printing is used to produce architectural prototypes, models for education purposes, and accessories, among others.

The “Shakeer” printer, a 15cm by 12cm device, carries multiple features that were considered problems faced by users in desktop use.

One is having a resume power failure. The printer can resume from the point where the printer is disconnected from the power source. “We resolved a technical issue that would lose time and cost of material,” says Taleb. “We also added a sensor that detects if the material is jammed or completed. It gives a beep sound to notify users.”

He added, “A flexible printing plate is created to make it mobile and we added wheels to move on the track which means less friction and better printing quality.”

The printer is not only has a USB drive but is also compatible for SD cards so the printer can function as a stand-alone device. It also has a smartphone application and Bluetooth connectivity.

The startup works with Badir, a Saudi incubator, to design and produce their products. “We aim to be an exporter of this technology,” says Taleb. “We would like to manufacturing it locally in Saudi Arabia instead of importing the technology.”

“There are a number of petrochemicals factories in the Kingdom so we have an advantage of creating filaments and other material locally,” he added.

Other similar printers in the market by North American and European manufacturers are sold up to seven times they’re offering which is SR 1,950.

The first Saudi manufacturers of 3-D printers also produces 3-D printers for professional use.

Printing can be used in a variety of sectors, namely education, healthcare, architecture, jewelry, design, and others, allowing users to translate their ideas into solid reality.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/technology/saudi-technologies/

Saudi Arabian student attends space training program
Nov 11, 2016

Kingdom_3_1-7-640x411.jpg

Abdullah H. Alghamdi in Lockheed Martin’s Space Fundamentals Training Program. — Courtesy photo​

AT 22 years old, Abdullah H. Alghamdi, a Saudi national and Bachelor of Science candidate majoring in Aerospace Engineering at Iowa State University, had the opportunity of a lifetime this past summer. As one of six international students chosen to participate in Lockheed Martin’s Space Fundamentals Training Program, Abdullah embarked on an inspiring journey to understand space.

Through the program, promising international students from US-based colleges are selected by their nation’s space and cultural ministries and invited to step foot into Lockheed Martin’s facilities for a comprehensive introduction to the space industry.

This year’s program featured undergraduate students from Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Mexico. Previous participants have gone on to pursue successful careers in the space industry. The 2015 program graduate Faisal Baawad now works on attitude determination and control systems aboard satellites at King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology.

Alghamdi, who grew up inspired by aerospace, was an ideal fit for the program. “I love how airplanes fly and I’m obsessed with the physics behind spacecraft motion,” he said. “The most important lesson that I learned from the program is that space exploration is a human endeavor, which is not exclusive to any specific nation, but rather open to all nations. My experience definitely motivated me to pursue a career in the space industry once I return home to Saudi Arabia.”

The program kicked off with an introduction to a virtual platform, where students remotely gained knowledge about space through lectures, videos, and online resources. Students were also encouraged to post questions on an online discussion board, gaining valuable insight about space and orbital mechanics from engineering experts at Lockheed Martin.

Alghamdi then traveled to Colorado, where he toured the Waterton Canyon and Deer Creek facilities, the headquarters for Lockheed Martin Space Systems. He was able to speak with civil and commercial space experts, as well as industry professionals leading the design and manufacturing of the Arabsat satellite, set to launch from the Kennedy Space Center in November 2017.

“I participated in real space activities, visited Lockheed Martin’s Collaborative Human Immersion Lab (CHIL), and explored the space industry in Denver, which has more than 400 companies. I was honored to meet with Astronaut Bruce McCandless, who performed the first space walk with a Manned Maneuvering Unit (MMU) in space, and Jim Crocker, a former NASA engineer who proposed a successful repair plan for the Hubble Space Telescope.”

After concluding the immersion program in Colorado, participants traveled to Washington D.C., where they presented key learnings to Lockheed Martin employees and representatives of the UAE Space Agency and the Agencia Espacial Mexicana, and the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM). Participants also met with members of the National US-Arab Chamber of Commerce.

“While in Washington D.C., I also got the opportunity to visit the Saudi Arabia Embassy and meet with Prince Abdullah Bin Faisal Bin Turki Al Saud, the Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the US. He was extremely welcoming and supportive, and encouraged me to continue working hard so that after graduation, I will be able to contribute to the advancement of Saudi Arabia’s economy.”

“Giving students hands-on experiences in the space industry is the best way to excite them about future careers in the field. Working with Lockheed Martin has allowed us to give our emerging talent a taste of what their future could be if they pursue jobs in space,” said Nahlah Al-Jubeir, director of the Center for Career Development at the SACM.

Through programs and investments such as the Space Fundamentals Training Program and the Prince Muhammad Bin Salman School of Administration and Entrepreneurship, an elite educational institution at the King Abdullah Economic City (KAEC), Lockheed Martin is directly partnering with the Kingdom to accelerate Vision 2030, supporting the development of its human capital and collaboratively building national expertise in the fields of aerospace, advanced technologies, and entrepreneurship.

“It was a rich and informative experience that complemented my educational background,” said Alghamdi. “I have so much gratitude for the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM) and Lockheed Martin for supporting us during the program and offering such a great opportunity to international students. I am certain that the exposure and experience that I gained through the program will support my career growth.”

Commenting on the program, Alan Chinoda, chief executive for Lockheed Martin in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, said, “We are committed to partnering with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to develop key capabilities and help achieve Vision 2030, by empowering the next generation of space explorers. This program reflects our support of the Kingdom’s most valuable resource — its people. We are extremely proud of this year’s participants and look forward to seeing students such as Mr. Alghamdi leading the Kingdom’s space sector.” — SG

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia/saudi-student-attends-space-training-program/

A Saudi 22-Year-Old is Training to be a Future Leader of Space Exploration

November 2016

A Saudi 22-year-old has always had a fascination with space exploration.

“I love how airplanes fly and I’m obsessed with the physics behind spacecraft motion,” Abdullah H. Alghamdi said, recounting a childhood inspired by a universe that, for most, remains out of his reach.

Alghamdi, however, was determined.

Chosen as one of six international students studying at U.S.-based colleges, Alghamdi recently participated in Lockheed Martin’s Space Fundamentals Training Program. The internationally acclaimed program provides students a hands on take of space and orbital mechanics from engineering experts at the American space, defense and security company. Alghamdi, an aerospace engineering major at Iowa State University, joined participants from the United Arab Emirates and Mexico.

Intended to nurture future leaders of the space industry, the program takes students across the U.S., visiting aerospace facilitates in Colorado and meeting with members of the National US-Arab Chamber of Commerce, UAE Space Agency, Agencia Espacial Mexicana, and the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM) in Washington, D.C.

“Giving students hands-on experiences in the space industry is the best way to excite them about future careers in the field. Working with Lockheed Martin has allowed us to give our emerging talent a taste of what their future could be if they pursue jobs in space,” said Nahlah Al-Jubeir, a director at the SACM.

A promising vision for Saudi Arabia’s space industry
While in D.C., Alghamdi met Prince Abdullah Bin Faisal Bin Turki Al Saud, the Saudi Ambassador to the U.S. The meeting underscored the broader symbolism of Alghamdi’s participation in Lockheed Martin’s prestigious educational program.

Under Vision 2030, Saudi Arabia’s economic transformation plan, the Kingdom has actively invested, and most recently partnered with Lockheed Martin to expand the nation’s expertise surrounding aerospace and related advanced technologies. To date, investments made in Saudi Arabia’s Space Fundamentals Training Program and the Prince Muhammad Bin Salman School of Administration and Entrepreneurship, an elite educational institution at the King Abdullah Economic City, offer a promising vision for the Kingdom’s role in the future of space exploration.

“We are committed to partnering with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to develop key capabilities and help achieve Vision 2030, by empowering the next generation of space explorers,” said Alan Chinoda, chief executive for Lockheed Martin in Saudi Arabia. “This program reflects our support of the Kingdom’s most valuable resource — its people. We are extremely proud of this year’s participants and look forward to seeing students such as Mr. Alghamdi leading the Kingdom’s space sector.”

As for Alghamdi, the 22-year old’s sights remain set on a future in space.

“The most important lesson that I learned from the program is that space exploration is a human endeavor, which is not exclusive to any specific nation, but rather open to all nations. My experience definitely motivated me to pursue a career in the space industry once I return home to Saudi Arabia,” Alghamdi concluded.

Read more at Saudi Gazette.

MiSK Foundation: Economic Diversification Goes Technological

November 2016

Silicon Valley could find its next home in the heart of Saudi Arabia.

Under Vision 2030, Saudi Arabia has taken proactive measures to expand job opportunities for the Kingdom’s growing and talented workforce. Diversifying the economy is key—and the innovation at the core of the international tech sector offers lucrative prospects.

Launched last week, the Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s MiSK Foundation provides a string of strategic ventures intended to inspire and train Saudi Arabia’s next generation of technology leaders.

The MiSK Foundation—which consists of the MiSK Academy, Technovation hub and Booster fund—will work in tandem to build out human capacity, drive innovation and direct funding to spur Saudi’s technology sector. The foundation’s efforts will tailor to young Saudi men and women, and reflect a long-term plan to provide Saudi youth the resources that will put them on par with the global technology community.

Here’s what you need to know about the MiSK Foundation’s three-pronged approach:

• MiSK Academy: By training 5,000 leaders, developers and designers—as well as sponsoring 400 traineeships across 50 major international technology, media and consulting businesses—MiSK Academy will serve the educational pillar. The training will provide Saudi men and women the knowledge-base to constructively and competitively engage in the global technology sector.

• MiSK Technovation: Technovation will turn talent into initiative by building a community of digital experts—with an emphasis on women’s participation—across the programming, big data, cyber security, cloud computing, artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things fields.

• MiSK Booster: MiSK Booster will infuse an entrepreneurial spirit into the Kingdom’s innovation-driven economy. This foundation component will set up a venture capital fund to oversee $50M to invest in enterprise ideas and solutions. The program aims to create a mentorship-based community to encourage and financially support technology-focused startups.
Read more at Saudi Gazette.

Saudi Arabia’s Technology Sector Flourishes

December 2016

In spite of fluctuating oil prices, one industry in Saudi Arabia has come out on top, resilient to the economic challenges that have impacted many nations worldwide. The growing, youth-dominated tech sector in Saudi Arabia has enjoyed rapid success since the release of the Saudi Vision 2030 plan, according to Abdulrahman Tarabzouni, a former regional manager for Google.

“Any individual has a shot now at creating something extremely valuable and accessible to the rest of the world,” he stated in remarks to young entrepreneurs in Riyadh.

Investment in the creative tech sector has seen numerous successes over the past year. In October, the sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia announced plans to invest over $45 billion in a joint venture with Japan’s Softbank to develop one of the world’s largest technology investment reserves. In June, the sovereign wealth fund put forth $3.5 billion in capital to global driving service Uber, which seeks to expand transportation accessibility in Saudi Arabia and diversify the Kingdom’s investment portfolio.

Tech entrepreneurs in Saudi Arabia have benefited from more than just capital injections: with the establishment of various technology incubators and venture capital funds that bridge Riyadh and Silicon Valley, young Saudis are increasingly able to gather the material resources and expertise to make their visions come to life.

Tech Sector Invigorates Youth, Engages Role of Women
Women in Saudi Arabia are notable beneficiaries of this growth. According to American investor Christopher Schroeder, entrepreneurship in the Kingdom has broad appeal to individuals seeking to pursue independent ventures.

“Over 25% of these startups are run by women. Some of the hardest working entrepreneurs I’ve met are women — across the Arab world,” he stated.

With the digitization of services and blossoming creative output of young businessmen and women, Saudi Arabia is slated to become a hub of tech innovation. In the country’s Vision 2030 plan, the government of Saudi Arabia has committed to cultivating Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) as agents of economic growth. By easing business regulations and facilitating access to funding, the Kingdom aims to develop local capabilities and capitalize upon the vibrant energy of Saudi youth.

Read more here at Crossroads Today.

http://www.arabianow.org/saudi-arabia-tech-investment/

@alarabi let irrelevant ignorant keyboard warriors rant (who are more often than not, belonging to ethnicities who cannot even reach the ankles of Arabs in terms of contribution to the world, influence throughout history etc. - basically every field you can think about) and cry here, while time will do its job and ensure that the old status quo returns once again as was the case throughout most of recorded history.

Last edited:
Saudi Arabia to boost the capital of its Industrial Development Fund

The added funding will help finance the kingdom’s entry into new industries

Finance

Saudi Arabia plans to boost the capital of the Saudi Industrial Development Fund (SIDF) by SAR6bn ($1.6bn) to help finance the kingdom’s entry into new industries, Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said.

The additional planned allocation would be on top of the SAR3bn of capital recently injected in the fund, Falih said without giving a figure for total current capital.

“There is now a study to increase the capital of the fund by a large amount which will give it an opportunity to develop other industries,” the minister told reporters late on Wednesday.

“We are talking about renewable energy industries, conversion industries, automotive industries, vital industries that have never existed in the kingdom,” he said, adding that military and pharmaceutical projects would receive support.

Saudi Arabia is seeking to diversify the economy beyond oil exports as low crude prices have strained state revenues. To do this, Riyadh is initially relying, to a large extent, on projects financed by big state funds.

It is expanding its main sovereign wealth fund, the Public Investment Fund, to invest in strategic projects and firms.

The SIDF was established in 1974 to finance growth of private industry by providing loans to set up factories and upgrade existing ones. It also offers consultancy services to local industrial projects.

In its early years, the SIDF managed the government programme to finance electricity companies, helped to develop the cold storage and date-processing industries, and analysed government support for public hospitals. It is now involved in guaranteeing loans for small and medium-sized enterprises.

http://gulfbusiness.com/saudi-boost-capital-industrial-development-fund/

Cz93RdlXEAE2UZ_.jpg:large

GE’s all-female business center in Saudi Arabia opens eyes and opportunities
By Christopher Connell -

Dec 13, 2016​
Nourah Al Zaid didn’t expect to work full time after graduating from King Saud University in 2010. But a friend told her that General Electric (GE), the manufacturing and digital innovation giant, was looking for talented women.

FullSizeRender-Edit-Edit-150x150.jpg

Nourah Al Zaid (Courtesy photo)

Today Al Zaid, 30, is a senior project manager with an all-female global business center in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, that GE and Tata Consultancy Services created in partnership with Saudi Aramco. The staff of 1,000 handles finance and accounting, human resources, supply chain and information technology management, and more for GE and other companies.

The busy center aims to hire 2,000 more women as the kingdom seeks to diversify its economy, grow private enterprise and encourage more women to work. Although a majority of Saudi university graduates are women, only 20 percent are in the workforce.

In six short years, the situation “has changed completely,” says Al Zaid. These staffers have shown “they are as good as our male and female colleagues all over the world.”

For its commitment to diversity in the workplace, General Electric is among six winners of the Secretary of State’s 2016 Award for Corporate Excellence (ACE) for exemplifying the best of American values in how they conduct business overseas.

A conversation between Jeffrey Immelt, GE chairman and CEO, and Khalid A. Al Falih, then-president and CEO of Saudi Aramco and now Saudi energy minister and chairman of Aramco, sparked the initiative.

In the planning stages, says Hisham Albahkali, president and CEO of GE Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, “we talked about whether we’d get the right people. Guess what? The Saudi females were amazing.”

CED_1590.jpg

This business center handles accounting, human resources and other work for many companies. (Courtesy photo)
The business center staff, 85 percent Saudi, underwent more than 600,000 hours of training. It regularly attracts admiring, high-level visitors from inside and outside the kingdom, including Narendra Modi, prime minister of India.

“The talent pool is huge. We do job fairs at universities and have CVs [résumés] lined up for potential openings,” said Al Zaid, who has had assignments and leadership training in the United States, Egypt, Dubai, France and Turkey.

The center’s employees often refer sisters, cousins, and other relatives and friends, which is always a sign that it’s a good place to work, she says. “I’ve been surprised by commitment to their jobs and their careers. I don’t know that it existed six years ago.”

The other 2016 ACE winners are Bureo and Interface, which recycle fishing nets into skateboards and carpets; McDonald’s Germany, for hiring hundreds of refugees; Andela, which trains software developers in Lagos, Nigeria; and copper mining company Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde, majority owned by Freeport-McMoRan, for sharing a new wastewater treatment plant with the city of Arequipa, Peru.​
ARAB NEWS | Published — Monday 19 December 2016

oxford.jpg
RIYADH: A Saudi-British research team from the Excellence Center of King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) and Oxford University for joint petrochemicals research has discovered a new fast and safe way to convert heavy petroleum hydrocarbons to hydrogen gas in large quantities and at high speed using a catalyst to create a chemical reaction using a developed microwave reactor.
The Excellence Center at (KACST) said in a press statement that the scientific Nature Magazine mentioned the new discovery in its latest edition, saying it could pave the way for hydrogen-fueled cars.
This comes as part of the projects and initiatives carried out by King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology to realize the Kingdom’s 2030 Vision.
The discovery is considered an important and new scientific idea that takes advantage of the heavy oil in Saudi Arabia, and the petroleum acquired from the petrochemical processes for hydrogen production, and its use in the fuel cells of vehicles.
It could also be a way to market oil as this method is considered helping the environment as a source of green energy.
The Center of Excellence said that researchers from King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology and the British universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Cardiff began working in 2010 and succeeded in registering a large number of global patents, as well as publishing research papers in professional journals.
Hydrocarbons are natural, hydrogen-rich resources with well-established infrastructures, but refining techniques have faced many challenges.​

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1026491/saudi-arabia

Aramcon first Arab woman to win prestigious security award
ORLANDO, U.S., December 07, 2016

cq5dam.web.356.263.jpeg

Alanood Al-Rabiah is the first ever Arab woman to receive the award from the American Society of Industrial Security.​

Alanood Al-Rabiah, group leader of Operational Excellence and Compliance in Saudi Aramco’s Industrial Security Support Department, recently received the Karen Marquez Memorial Honors women in security award.

The American Society of Industrial Security (ASIS) presented Al-Rabiah with the award during a ceremony in Florida, U.S. The award is given to security professionals who have consistently worked for the betterment of the security industry.

One of four women to receive the award in 2016, she is also the first Arab woman to ever receive the award. This impressive achievement was based on the evaluation of significant contributions Al-Rabiah made to the advancement of the security profession.

“I would like to thank my management in Saudi Aramco who have recommended me for this honor and will take this opportunity to support, promote and inspire other women working in the profession,” Al-Rabiah said. “It gives me great pleasure to see not only Saudi Aramco but also Saudi women being recognized for their boundless achievements.”

Jaber Al-Suhaimi, acting manager of the Industrial Security Support Department, commended Al-Rabiah, saying: “I praise Alanood for her fruitful contribution in industrial security. Her efforts have made her a role model in the security profession, inspiring women empowerment and development worldwide.”

ASIS International is the leading organization for security professionals worldwide. It contributes to the profession through a variety of programs and activities dedicated to increasing the effectiveness and productivity of security professionals.

http://www.saudiaramco.com/en/home/...-woman-to-win-prestigious-security-award.html

New Saudi Aramco research center at KAUST to be ready in 2019

3b3dbba2-ca2a-45aa-9236-a37762c1a359_16x9_788x442.jpg

Staff members and students walk on campus at the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) on October 13, 2009, in Thuwal, 80 kilometers north of Jeddah. (File photo: AFP)

Staff writer, Al Arabiya English Sunday, 18 December 2016

The facility will allow Saudi Aramco to leverage its unique position within the R&D ecosystem at KAUST to accelerate the implementation of the company’s Technology Strategy. The facility will include laboratories and offices to support research in the areas of chemicals, intelligent systems, solar energy, reservoir engineering, computational modeling, and environmental protection.

“At KAUST, we are committed to advancing science, innovation and technology through distinctive and collaborative research, which relies upon the nurturing of ideas and talent,” said KAUST President Jean-Lou Chameau. “Partnering with Saudi Aramco on this new center is the latest of a series of shared successes to foster the transition to an innovation-driven economy sustained by intellectual capital and scientific discovery.”

The new center will be an 11,300 square meter research facility, housing 132 scientists and researchers, aimed at supporting Saudi Aramco’s upstream and downstream research domains as well as environmental protection research efforts.

Also read: Disruptive technologies transforming the GCC energy sector

“This new facility is about expanding our research needs as a business. As part of our new technology strategy we are looking to enable our research domains through capitalizing on the world-renowned scientists, exceptional facilities, and international network of academic institutions affiliated with KAUST,” said Saudi Aramco Chief Technology Officer Ahmad Khowaiter. The facility is intended to integrate with the University community and foster strong networks with other leading R&D organizations focused on solar energy, chemicals, fuel technology, robotics, hydrocarbon recovery, computational modeling and the marine environment.

“We achieved this year a leading position in creativity among energy companies. To reach our aspiration of global leadership in energy-related technology development and deployment, Saudi Aramco has adopted an accelerated strategy to expand its global R&D footprint with further collaborations in academia and industry,” said Nasser.

“These partnerships, including the one with KAUST, will be crucial to the company and national agenda for the next 15 years, and they are seen as much needed enablers to accelerate the successful delivery of technologies across the entire value chain of the energy industry.”

This article was first published in the Saudi Gazette on December 18, 2016.

Last Update: Sunday, 18 December 2016 KSA 10:01 - GMT 07:01

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/bus...-center-at-KAUST-to-be-ready-by-mid-2019.html

Saudi Arabia Leads Arab World in Innovation
FATAH AL-RAHMAN YOUSSEF
7 days ago

cc-620x391.jpg

GE works with the Kingdom to incubate local innovation through the GE Innovation Center.- GE​

Riyadh- Francis Gurry, Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) said that Saudi Arabia is a model in committing to agreements on intellectual property, applauding the Kingdom’s efforts and cooperation in this field.

The Kingdom ranked third on the innovation index and introduced 763 inventions and 869 industrial samples to the world in 2015. Gurry also stressed the importance of trademark registration, which reached six million with two million among them are from China.

The WIPO’s Director General noted that the intellectual property’s framework is very wide comprising patents, industrial samples, industrial schemes, trademarks, commercial names, commercial addresses and composition in all its types. He stressed on the importance of small and medium establishments like trademarks, patents, and copyrights.

Gurry asserted that the significance of this field extends to include industrial samples, commercial secrets, and forecasted revenues which contribute to the national growth of the company, its expansion and protection in global markets considering that these markets help people to cut distances short and adopt best means to achieve their wealth.

These words came during his meeting with the Saudi Arabia Business Sector recently organized by the Council of Saudi Chambers (CSC) during which he added that intellectual property represents the cornerstone of economic growth in all fields and sectors as it drives advancement, development, change, and continuous update in communities.

Omar Bahlaiwa, secretary general of Committee of International Trade (CIT) in the council told Asharq Al-Awsat that after it has joined the World Trade Organization in 1982, Saudi Arabia has nurtured a myriad of talents, ideas, and innovations that can contribute to maximizing local production and developing the national economy according to the Saudi View 2030. He continued with saying that many governmental and private academic institutions in the Kingdom foster talented generations with great ideas that create hundreds of inventions that remarkably help in promoting the competitiveness of national products until they mark their print in global markets.

Bahlaiwa added that protecting intellectual property in the Kingdom is crucial because it protects small merchants and individuals or institutions introducing ideas and inventions that enhance commercial flows and achieve sustainable growth, especially that the Saudi Vision 2030 is the gate of innovation for local products and national economy. He considered that neglecting this protection will obstruct transfer of ideas from a country to

another and the adoption of globalization principles including franchise and global marks to promote small and medium projects.

An official in the Council of Saudi Chambers lauded the Kingdom’s advancement in this field through its interest in maintaining intellectual property rights by implementing international agreements and treaties in addition to finding the suitable environment for it and building an economy based on knowledge and protection of acquired rights as part of the Kingdom’s vision 2030 seeking to enhance competitiveness.

The official stressed on the importance of setting a joint understanding among all concerned authorities through continuous communication to reach best means to save intellectual property rights by enhancing cooperation and integration ties.

Tarek al-Haidari, head of for the Committee for International Trade (CIT) for the Council of Saudi Chambers of Commerce and Industry said that there are many government support programs on innovation including the industrial development fund, Masar Program to support innovation in the social development bank, Saudi Venture Capital, Public Authority for Small and Medium Enterprises, Saudi Foundation for Inventors, Badir Program for Technology Incubators. He added that Aramco is preparing a promising program to support and fund innovators along with Sabic Prize for Innovations and Almarai Prize.

http://english.aawsat.com/2016/12/article55364139/saudi-arabia-leads-arab-world-innovation

The 50 Most Promising Saudi Arabian Startups

list_Large_308.jpg

http://www.forbesmiddleeast.com/en/lists/read/2016/the-50-most-promising-saudi-startups/listid/308#

Aisha Fareed | Published — Monday 27 February 2017

MAKKAH: Saudis have expressed pride and joy after it emerged that a citizen of the Kingdom, Dr. Yaseen Al-Mleaky was included in a team of researchers who helped discover seven new planets.

The planets, the discovery of which was announced by NASA, are similar to Earth in size and could have liquid water and maybe life, by extension, on the surface.

Al-Mleaky, who is president of the center for astronomy and space science in the Clock Tower in Makkah, said: “The center has 13 stations around the world, seven are international, five are local and one is located in the Clock Tower in Makkah”.

The Saudi researcher, who is also member of the teaching faculty in the Astronomy Department in King Abdulaziz University in Jeddah, added: “The observatory in Chile contributed to the monitoring of this star and planets that revolve around it”.

Saudis were pleased with this achievement and expressed their joy on Twitter. “I suggest that students should view Dr. Yaseen Al-Mleaky’s interview on Al-Arabiya to see a live role model and live with new discoveries”, wrote Naser Al-Hiyani.

Another Twitter user said Al-Mleiky’s participation in the research team is a source of pride for all young people in the Gulf.

This cluster of planets is less than 40 light-years away in the constellation Aquarius, according to NASA and the Belgian-led research team who announced the discovery Wednesday.

READ: 7 Earth-size worlds found orbiting star; could hold life

The planets circle tightly around a dim dwarf star called Trappist-1, barely the size of Jupiter. Three are in the so-called habitable zone, the area around a star where water and, possibly life, might exist. The others are right on the doorstep.

“We made a giant leap forward, and this discovery will enable us to answer the question that preoccupied a lot of philosophers throughout history, and the question we all ask, which is are we alone in this universe?” said associate administrator of NASA, Thomas Zurbuchen.

“Three of the seven planets could be suitable for life, and they might contain liquid water, which gives them vital weather conditions to develop biological life,” Zurbuchen added. Yaseen Al-Mleaky’s participation in this discovery isn’t the first Saudi contribution to space research. He was preceded by Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz who was the first Arab Muslim astronaut. Prince Sultan participated in the Space Shuttle Discovery trip in 1985, in the “STS-51-G” mission.

(Additional input from The Associated Press and Reuters)

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1060446/saudi-arabia

Women are taking the centre stage in Saudi Arabia

March 3, 2017:

A commercial bank in Saudi Arabia appointing a woman as a CEO; a woman becoming the dean of a renowned medical college; women and men attending the recent Comic Con event in Jeddah; Women-only gymnasiums gaining traction; celebration of first ever Women’s Day - Women in Saudi Arabia are well on their way to have similar rights as their male counterparts. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, with a progressive leadership & a formative Vision 2030 document is fast becoming a society well in-sync with the developments of the rest of the world.

A traditional society with deep respect for its culture, values and its belief system, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, has an innate regard for the role of women in society.

One the biggest development has been in the financial sector. The financial sector is considered notorious around the world for its blatant disregard for gender parity – but in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a lady has become the CEO of a commercial bank.

Also, most recently Dr. Dalal Moheealdin Namnaqani, the first Saudi woman was appointed as the dean of Taif University College of Medicine. Her appointment is seen as a big step in further inclusion of women in academia.

Saudi Arabia has made various changes over the last decade to liberalize the role of women in society. Prominent instances of this include adult franchise - enabling women to actively participate in the country’s political space, encouraging women to take a proactive role in the shaping of the economy, and taking legal measures to bring about an end to domestic violence – an endemic in many societies in the west.

A momentous occasion in the history of women’s rights in Saudi Arabia came when women were able to vote for the first time on December 13, 2015– a sign of progress. And not just vote, women could also participate in the entire process, projecting themselves as leaders.

A strong gender divide is prevalent across the world, but the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is taking giant strides in order to change the narrative of how women are held in society. The late King of Saudi Arabia King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud was lauded for his role in expanding women’s rights in Saudi Arabia.

Very recently, Saudi Arabia celebrated its first ever Women’s Day. It featured many a speaker who spoke on various issues around women empowerment in society. The event was also attended by Her Highness Princess Al-Jawhara bint Fahd Al Saud of the Royal family engaging in a nuanced discussion on the role of women in education.

20% of the seats in the advisory council that support the central government is allotted to women, and many a celebrated woman are already part of the council. In 2013, women became a formidable force in the Shura Council.

According to a report by McKinsey Global Institute, the economic profits of bridging the gender gap in Saudi Arabia has taken a positive turn. According to the report, it will eventually lead to a spike in their GDP by at least US $52 billion before 2025. Multiple steps have been taken to include women in the economic structure. This month, more than 10,000 Saudi women received technical training including ways to repair mobile phones – in an effort to improve their employment chances.

The Kingdom has also taken many a steps to ensure participation of women - including the introduction of a distance work scheme that allows women to work from home. Additionally, the Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Foundation (MiSK) recently launched an initiative to train women for leadership roles augmenting their management qualities which will eventually allow them to bring about positive influences at workplace.

In line with their ambitious social reform agenda ‘Vision 2030’, one of the goals of which is inclusion of women in the Saudi economy. Sarah Al-Suhaimi was appointed as the first ever women to chair the Saudi stock exchange along with Somayya Jabarti who will be the first ever woman to hold the rank of editor-in-chief in a Saudi news daily. To add to that, Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Labor and Social Development has revealed a national policy for female employment that will provide more than 50,000 outsourcing job opportunities.

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is also bringing about various initiatives in order to make it easy for women to have a social, a political and an economic voice – as per some report, a woman no longer requires the male guardian’s permission to work. Authorities have given incentives to employers who allocate certain positions for women. Moreover, the Kingdom is providing hundreds of academic scholarships for women to study – in Saudi Arabia and abroad.

This week, Saudi Arabia hosted its first ever Comic Con event where both, men and women came together to share their love for comics, and other variants of pop culture.

This year’s Al Janadriyah festival also discussed various issues that plague women from across the world. To highlight the importance of women in society, Alwaleed Philanthropies - chaired by His Royal highness Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud – collaborated with the festival to display videos showing the journey of women and their struggle. After criminalizing domestic abuse in 2013, the government has also established a center whose primary task is to receive and respond to reports of domestic violence.

Saudi Arabia has worked and is constantly working to ease the access of women to services. In a landmark move, the government will begin issuing licenses for women-only gyms from this month to promote health and fitness among women.

With such enabling policies and initiatives, gender equality and empowerment are resonating well in Saudi Arabia

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...ntre-stage-in-saudi-arabia/article9569336.ece

The giant wakes up: Saudi Arabian Capital Market embraces new reforms

Dr. Mohamed A. Ramady

Wednesday, 1 March 2017

The Gulf’s biggest stock exchange, the Saudi Tadawul, has belied the perception of being too slow to act, and has woken up with a roar, with some new reforms that could force the other Gulf bourses to follow suit.

The most dramatic new changes are in allowing the listing of small capitalized Saudi firms, the so called SME’s-or Small and Medium sized Enterprises-to list in a parallel Saudi stock exchange to give a boost to this SME sector and expand the number of listed companies, compared to the current primary market which is dominated by larger capitalized and well establishes firms.

On Sunday 26 February, the NOMU-Parallel stock market was launched with a debut of seven firms in the retail, food and industrial sectors and reached an initial market capitalization of SR 1.9 B, with all companies gaining 20 per cent on the first trading day, their maximum daily limit, but which admittedly is still a tiny fraction of the formal market with a capitalization of SR 1.512 T ($403 B), and 178 listed companies.

The minimum capitalization in this new parallel market is SR 10 M ($2.7 Mil) or 10 per cent of requirement of main market listing and trading is limited to “qualified investors” such as institutions and government related entities with a fluctuation limit of 20 per cent to avoid undue speculation and erratic share price movements by retail investors which has plagued the formal stock market, given the so called “herd mentality” of small retail investors who seek short term profit as opposed to long term value added investment returns like institutional investors.

However retail investors can access these parallel market listings through investment funds, with specified investment strategies to reduce risk of direct investments. The seven new debut companies are a mixture of sizes, with IPO share prices ranging from SR 11 ($2.9) to SR 78 ($20.8), and the new number of shares listed ranging from 230,000 to 6,750,000 shares.

“This is a positive move to add breadth and depth to the Saudi market which has been dominated by the larger IPO and capitalized companies and is part of the strategy to diversify the economy and provide new capital access to SME companies away from traditional bank lending”. The Gulf’s biggest stock exchange is seeking to attract more capital from abroad as Saudi Arabia goes through unprecedented economic and social change.

Vision 2030
Foreign investment is a cornerstone of Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s “Saudi Vision 2030,” a blueprint for the post-oil period that includes plans to sell shares in state oil giant Saudi Aramco and expand its sovereign wealth fund into becoming the world’s largest. The private sector, and especially the SME sector, are slated to be the driving force for this new diversified Saudi economy and listing SME’s especially in the tourism, medical, food and IT sectors will assist in raising capital, expanding their base and creating local jobs.

This new move has certainly put practical teeth to the longer term transformation plan, and the ordinary Saudi citizen can see the immediate benefit and participate in it. The list of possible new listing from the Saudi Joint Stock Companies (JSC’s) who are potentially eligible is truly staggering, with around 4,500 registered JSC’s, out of 68,000 Saudi private sector companies.

According to the Saudi Stock Market head, 38 new companies will be listed in 2017, and the Saudi Capital Market Authority’s Vice Chairman Mohammed Al Kuwaiz said that the parallel market will be open to foreign qualified investors by 2Q 2017, and added that a lot of financial advisers are looking at the opening up of the market, as well as the privatization program and feel that the change in the overall market infrastructure is an opportunity, as the regulator has seen “a tremendously increasing amount of interest” from foreign firms seeking licensing to operate in Saudi Arabia.

Given regional interest in the large Saudi stock exchange with its large consumer and industrial base, companies from the Gulf Cooperation Council will be allowed to list in the parallel market as a primary or secondary listing.

Separately, there are more reforms in the pipeline concerning the formal market and Saudi Arabia is counting on rules that will extend the settlement cycle on stock trades to attract more foreign investors as currently the Tadawul stock exchange has about fifty qualified foreign investors and expects to draw more after shifting to a T+2 cycle (transaction date plus two days for settlement) by the end of June 2017, a system used across most major exchanges, while the current system requires same-day settlement.

Foreign direct investment
The Saudi stock market started allowing limited foreign direct investment in 2015 and eased restrictions further last year and foreigners currently own about 4 per cent of shares, with regulators arguing for more qualified foreign investors be allowed to participate, as they will ostensibly add a longer term investment, value added approach by assessing economic fundamentals of Saudi listed companies and sectors as opposed to emotion driven intra -day retail sector trading.

Another goal for Saudi Arabia is to be included in the prestigious emerging market MSCI or Morgan Stanley Capital International index, and the planned draft regulations for the settlement shift has already received encouraging feedback from most global index providers, including the MSCI. The kingdom is keen in seeking to join MSCI’s emerging market index, which is tracked by some of the world’s biggest fund managers.

The “T+2”is an important piece of change for MSCI to move forward to include Saudi Arabia on its emerging-market watch list, as the new settlement cycle would bring the Tadawul in line with international best practices. No longer will foreign qualified investors have to hold large funds in the Kingdom with their local brokers to execute transactions on same day settlement basis, but can do so two days after the transaction allowing them to manage their international liquidity more efficiently. The lion has awakened.

Last Update: Wednesday, 1 March 2017 KSA 14:46 - GMT 11:46

Disclaimer: Views expressed by writers in this section are their own and do not reflect Al
Arabiya English's point-of-view.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/vi...audi-Capital-Market-embraces-new-reforms.html

Saudi Arabia Is Seeking Ways to Boost 4% Foreign Stock Ownership

by Matthew Martin and Vivian Nereim
26. februar 2017 13.49 Updated on 27. februar 2017 08.11 CET

• Stock exchange seeking to secure first cross-listing by 2018
  • Counting on T+2 settlement cycle to attract foreign investors
Saudi Arabia is seeking ways to boost foreign investment in its bourse, almost two years after easing access to the one of the world’s most restricted exchanges.

The Tadawul, as the market is known, will hold talks with companies already trading on other Gulf Cooperation Council exchanges for a cross-listing in the kingdom by 2018, Chief Executive Officer Khalid Al Hussan said in an interview in Riyadh on Sunday. The country is also counting on rules that will extend the settlement cycle on stock trades to attract more foreign investors, according to the vice-chairman of the country’s Capital Market Authority.

Saudi Arabia allowed foreign investors to trade stocks directly in 2015, prompting analysts such as John Burbank, founder of San Francisco-based hedge fund Passport Capital LLC, to predict that billions of dollars of investment from overseas would flow into the market. Total foreign ownership of Saudi stocks is about 4 percent.

The kingdom only has Saudi Arabian companies listed on its bourse. Aluminium Bahrain, which is listed in Manama, halted plans to be the first non-Saudi company to list on the Tadawul in 2015, Chief Executive Officer Tim Murray said at the time. The Tadawul also wants private companies in the GCC to sell shares on its alternative market, Nomu, with the first expected this year, Al Hussan said.

The Tadawul is also on track for its own initial public offering next year, Al Hussan said. The exchange hired HSBC Holdings Plc’s Saudi unit as a financial adviser for the sale in May.

‘Missing Piece’
The Tadawul has about 50 qualified foreign investors and expects to draw more after shifting to a T+2 cycle by the end of June, a system used across most major exchanges, Capital Market Authority Vice Chairman Mohammed El-Kuwaiz said in an interview. The current system requires same-day settlement.

The country is also aiming for inclusion in MSCI Inc.’s emerging-market index to boost foreign ownership.

“T+2 is the last missing piece of the puzzle for MSCI to move forward on” possibly including Saudi Arabia on its emerging-market watchlist, Wafic Nsouli, the managing director and head of equities at Dubai-based investment bank Arqaam Capital Ltd., said by e-mail on Sunday. This is “a game changer for the country and the wider region and one we expect as soon as this May,” he said.

The Gulf’s biggest stock exchange is seeking to attract more capital from abroad as Saudi Arabia goes through unprecedented economic and social change.

Foreign investment is a cornerstone of Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s “Saudi Vision 2030,” a blueprint for the post-oil period that includes plans to sell shares in state oil giant Saudi Arabian Oil Co. and expand its sovereign wealth fund into the world’s largest.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...aster-u-s-shale-oil-2-0-challenges-opec-again

Crowds flock to Saudi Arabia's first Comic Con

By Bianca Britton and Basma Atassi, CNN
Updated 1346 GMT (2146 HKT) February 20, 2017

Saudi Arabia hosts its first Comic Con 01:31
Story highlights
  • Over the weekend fans turned up for Saudi Arabia's first Comic Con
  • At the three-day festival, which was part of a Saudi government initiative, women and men were allowed to mingle
  • A hashtag calling Comic Con a "devil worshipping" festival became popular on Twitter

(CNN)Dressed all in black with her face exposed, Fatima Mohammed Hussein has come to Saudi Arabia's first Comic Con event dressed as Bat Girl.

"The minute I stepped in, I couldn't believe this is happening here," she told CNN. "It's a big move for Saudi to have something like that."
Hussein was one of the many Saudis who dressed up and flocked to the coastal city of Jeddah to celebrate pop culture, comic books, video games, and film between February 16 and 18.
170220094033-saudi-comi-con-2-medium-plus-169.jpg

Fatima Mohammed Hussein dressed as Bat Girl at Saudi Arabia's first Comi Con event.

The three-day festival was part of a government initiative to bring more entertainment to Saudi Arabia, which bans public cinemas and theater.
"When you enter into the tent, you forget that you are in Saudi Arabia," Abdul Rahman Bakhsh, 25, an engineer and an avid YouTuber, who came to the event dressed in rustic armor over a black faux suede pullover and armed with a spear, told CNN.
With his friend, Ameer, he documented the Comic Con experience on YouTube video, starting with their search for costumes.
"There is a lot of creativity in Comic Con. People really interacted with the event and their costumes were amazing," Bakhsh said.
Gender mixing
Young men and women crowded into the tent, mingling near stands for comics and video games -- a remarkable scene for a government-sponsored event in a country where gender segregation is imposed in many public spaces.
170220093926-saudi-comi-con-1-exlarge-169.jpg

People arrive at Saudi Arabia's first Comi Con.
A long queue formed in front of the booth of a group of talented female artists who -- with make-up -- created scars, injuries and anime-inspired faces. "It was Hollywood-level creativity," Bakhsh said.
A separate female-only tent was set up for women who wanted to take off their traditional abayas and show off their costumes.
170219202145-jeddah-woman-exlarge-169.jpg

A Lebanese woman poses for a selfie with a man dressed up as "Iron Man" during Saudi Arabia's first ever Comic-Con event in the coastal city of Jeddah on February 16, 2017.
Saudis at the event also had the opportunity to attend panel discussions with Charles Dance and Julian Glover from "Game of Thrones," Giancarlo Esposito from "Breaking Bad," and Mads Mikkelsen from "Doctor Strange."
Other panels featured Saudi producers and actors, including cast members from the upcoming Saudi superhero show, "Mas'hour" -- meaning "Bewitched."
Comi Con history
Comic Con events began in 1970 in San Diego and have slowly spread across the world. But before this festival, fans from Saudi Arabia had to outside the country to attend Comic Con events.
The Saudi version was organized by local company Time Entertainment. Its public relations manager Hisham AlSaeed said that Comic Con's international presence gave Saudi Arabia the perfect opportunity to highlight homegrown talent.
"There's a lot of talent (here) when it comes to comics, animations, anime (and) movie production," he said.
AlSaeed said the initiative was inspired by the huge demand for a Comic Con in his country, illustrated partly by the rise in people holding their own cosplay competitions at small, underground private events.
"(Comic Con) has never been done publicly like this, it has just never been set up," he said.

C5Cl28FWIAMVoKR.jpg:large

C5Fhd1AXAAEiB48.jpg:large

Attendees dress up and genders mix at Saudi Arabia's first Comi Con.
Setting up the event took over a year, and a balance was struck to keep the spirit of the Comic Con while adhering to the country's religious regulations.
Indecent symbols or logos that went against Islamic teachings were prohibited and attendees were not allowed to cross-dress.
Even then, there was uproar online against what was considered a Western phenomenon in the traditional Islamic kingdom.
A hashtag calling Comic Con a "devil worshipping" festival became popular on Twitter and some called for boycotting it.
Cultural reforms
170220094101-saudi-comi-con-3-exlarge-169.jpg

A woman has her face made up at the event.
The event, which was supported by the Saudi Arabia's General Entertainment Authority, is part of country's "Vision 2030" program, which is promising a wave of cultural reforms to diversify the kingdom's oil-dependent economy.
AlSaeed said his team is planning to make this an annual event.
"We're considering this a soft Comic Con in Saudi Arabia, and then the next (one) will be way bigger.
"I'm hoping by next year we have a full cast of 'The Walking Dead', but we also have a lot of casts of our own movies and TV shows," he said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/19/middleeast/saudi-arabia-comic-con/

Saudi Arabian cardiologist honored in New York

10 March 2017

Dr. Rasha Fahd Al-Bawardi
A PROMINENT Saudi woman cardiologist who works for the Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School was recently honored, along with 19 other Saudi women, by the Consulate General of Saudi Arabia in New York City.

Dr. Rasha Fahad Al-Bawardi was honored with 19 other Saudi women achievers by Saudi Consul General in New York Khalid Mohammad Al-Shareef. The ceremony, which took place as the world celebrated International Women’s Day, was attended by several consuls generals and diplomats.

Al-Bawardi was honored for her role in setting a great example for other Saudi women. She overcame numerous difficulties in medical school and found employment at Harvard University, one of the most prestigious institutions in the world. Today, she is a full-time professor at Harvard Medical School.

Thanking the Saudi mission in New York for giving her the award, Al-Bawardi said: “My mother taught us when we were little kids that there is nothing impossible and one can achieve anything they want if they set their minds to it.”

At a time when it was rare for foreign students to be admitted to US medical schools, Al-Bawardi secured a seat at George Washington University’s School of Medicine and Health Science due to her stellar academic credentials. She went on to earn an undergraduate degree in medical science and a graduate degree in genomics and bioinformatics from the same university. After that, she did her internship at Cleveland Clinic and then enrolled in Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York where she studied cardiology for three years.

“I conducted several research programs at the college. After that, I joined the Massachusetts General Hospital where I still work,” she said.

The scholarship program run by the Kingdom’s government allows Saudi students to realize their academic endeavors, said Al-Bawardi.

She added that she wants to serve her country by contributing to advancing medical research in the field of cardiology.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia/saudi-cardiologist-honored-new-york/

A Saudi Medical Invention Has Revolutionized Plastic Surgery

February 2017

Dr. Abdul Karim Reza Fidaa was honored at the World Health Conference in Dubai for his medical invention that will revolutionize ear, nose, throat and other facial plastic surgeries. Dr. Fidaa’s new invention uses laparoscopic surgery techniques to minimize the invasiveness of surgery and shorten healing time for patients.

During his studies, Dr. Fidaa learned that more than 20 percent of medical instruments used today are of Arab origin, and he urges young surgeons to continue contributing to the developments of science.

His idea began as a way to help those with congenital abnormalities in the ear and nose. Dr. Fidaa sought a technique that would allow him to conduct surgery without full anesthesia and without a large incision.

Dr. Fidaa worked with a leading French medical technology company to develop the needle using Nano laser technology. The needle is thick and serrated, but flexible enough to enter under the skin.

Doctors now plan to use this new technology in knee surgeries, enabling the surgeon to work inside the knee without fully opening the knee cartilage.

Since the announcement of the invention, Dr. Fidaa has received overwhelming support and interest. He stressed that he remains loyal to the kingdom, but is eager to share this contribution with the world in hopes of creating channels for future collaboration with other doctors and international companies and universities.

Medical Innovation Contributes to Vision 2030
For project manager Mishaal Hisham Hersan, who has created more than 30 inventions for scientific and humanitarian purposes, this new invention with Dr. Fidaa has shown the world that Saudi Arabia is actively working toward the goals established by the Vision 2030 plan. The inventors are currently partnered with King Abdulaziz University in Jeddah, though they were also offered a contract with an American manufacturing company. They sent a delegation from the University and Secretary of the Faculty of Medicine to the World Health Conference.

http://www.arabianow.org/saudi-invention-revolutionized-plastic-surgery/

This Saudi Female Horse Trainer is Charting the Societal Changes Underway

March 2017

While horses have been central to life in Saudi Arabia for centuries, women like horse trainer Dana al-Gosaibi, have found it difficult to pursue their passion for horses in the kingdom.

Saudi Arabia’s recent efforts to advance women’s rights, particularly toward women’s involvement in sports, gives Gosaibi hope that one day soon she will be able to realize her dream of opening her own stables.

Change is underway in the kingdom, Gosaibi noted. She returned to Saudi Arabia four years ago after living abroad for over a decade. She came back to find women working as cashiers, in sales and in offices.

In the last year, plans for social and economic reform have prompted even more opportunities for women. These plans include expanding sports opportunities for women and young people. Last year, the kingdom appointed Princess Reema bint Bandar al-Saud to oversee women’s sports and the Vision 2030 plan lays out increased opportunities for women to be involved in the economy.

Princess Reema said authorities would soon begin granting license for female-only gyms. Changes such as these create favorable condition for Gosaibi to start her own business.

Gosaibi’s stables would focus on more gentle methods for horse training than the standard approach in the male-dominated horse industry in the kingdom. However, she has faced resistance for her approach to working with the animals.

The traditional method for training horses in Saudi Arabia requires significant force, and utilizes spurs and whips. Gosaibi prefers to take time to observe and understand the horse, so she “becomes part of the horse’s herd.”

“You need to establish a certain relationship and understanding because the horse needs to trust you,” she said.

Gosaibi keeps two horses at a stable in Jeddha, where she is able to shed her traditional abayah in favor of a baseball cap, trousers and riding boots. Both men and other women use the stables. Gosaibi added that progress is happening in Saudi Arabia: “Women are becoming stronger and they have a voice,” she said.

Read more at World Bulletin.

http://www.arabianow.org/saudi-female-horse-trainer-societal-changes-underway/

Saudi Arabia’s Hospitality Sector is Booming

March 2017

PHOTO : SAUDI GAZETTE
The hospitality sector in Saudi Arabia is getting a boost: the Kingdom is set to see a record number of 28 new hotels and 29,033 hotel rooms open in major cities across the country in 2017.

According to the Saudi Arabia Hotel Construction Overview, carried out by Tophotelprojects and prepared exclusively for The Hotel Show Saudi Arabia 2017, Riyadh, Jeddah, Al-Khobar and Makkah will be the Kingdom’s busiest areas for hospitality development.

“The hospitality landscape in Saudi Arabia is developing at pace, and this is a particularly exciting year,” said John Suzara, Event Manager of The Hotel Show Saudi Arabia 2017, “The largest hotel in the world – Abraj Kudai – is forecast to open in Makkah, while new brands are entering the market, harnessing the Kingdom’s potential at a time of major growth for its tourism, leisure and hospitality industries in the wake of the launch of Saudi Arabia’s National Vision 2030.”

Several international brands will enter the Saudi market for the first time this year, including Nobu Hospitality and Rocco Forte Hotels.

The Hotel Show Saudi Arabia will take place in Jeddah. The show is celebrating its fifth edition, as the show has grown alongside the thriving hospitality sector in Saudi Arabia.

Abraj Kudai Towers, set to be the largest hotel in the world, will open in the fourth quarter of 2017, and will boast 10,000 rooms.

Christian Renz, Vice President of Sales at Rocco Forte Hotels, commented on the hotel’s decision to add Jeddah to its roster of properties, saying “KSA has a lot to offer and I hope that the country will further open itself for international tourism. The incredible history, art, culinary culture and friendliness of people is an experience which I am sure a lot of travelers would and will appreciate.”

Transforming the Hospitality Industry on a National Level
Open itself up to tourism, it will. As outlined in the Vision 2030 plan and the National Transformation Program, Saudi Arabia plans to increase total tourism spending from 104.8bn SAR to 174.8bn SAR by 2020.

Read the full story on Zawya.

http://www.arabianow.org/saudi-arabias-hospitality-sector-booming/

Health and Wellness Gaining Traction Among Saudi Women

March 2017

Saudi women are increasingly stepping up as health and wellness leaders as sports advocates push for a more future of sports in the Kingdom that is all-inclusive and benefits all of society.

Princess Reema Bint Bandar Bin Sultan, undersecretary for the female section at the General Authority for Sports, met with Saudi women sports advocates in mid-February for a fruitful conversation that included a lengthy discussion about yoga and sports for the disabled.

Nouf Al-Marwaai, Honorary Secretary of the International Yoga Federation for Saudi Arabia and Arab Countries spoke about the importance of supporting yoga, which has several benefits for both physical and mental health. Al-Marwaai urged the Saudi government to get involved in promoting yoga, which is becoming increasingly popular among Saudi women of across all age groups.

In a sign that there is a great interest and demand for yoga, Al-Marwaai emphasized that she has taught yoga to approximately 8,000 students since 2005 and certified more than 150 teachers since 2008.

Princess Reema also held discussions with Faizah Natto, President of the Society for the Visually and Auditory Impaired, who talked about recent efforts to include people with disabilities into the wider Saudi community.

According to the Saudi Ministry of Economy and Planning, physical inactivity is a major health risk, common among adolescents with disabilities and often leading to other health issues such as obesity, making Natto’s perspective critical to discussions on increasing the accessibility of sports in the Kingdom.

Saudi Health and Wellness Leaders Aiding the Kingdom’s Transformation
Al-Marwaai and Natto are highly qualified, and offer a positive representation of contemporary Saudi women looking to serve society in their chosen professional fields. The position of Princess Reema as a leader in the emerging sector of women’s sports also demonstrates the enthusiasm of young women willing to step up and lead Saudi Arabia’s historic transformation under Vision 2030.

Read the full story on Saudi Gazette.

http://www.arabianow.org/health-wellness-traction-saudi-women/

Saudi women meet to address changing role
Mar 12, 2017

RIYADH — Saudi women from adventurers to inventors are hoping a unique conference in Riyadh on Saturday will highlight their changing role and inspire younger women to push for new opportunities in the kingdom.

The event comes at a time when reforms are slowly changing women’s lives. In Saudi Arabia, women live under the supervision of a male guardian and cannot drive.

Women can now sit on the government advisory Shoura Council, vote in municipal elections, and work in some retail and hospitality jobs with the government’s Vision 2030 trying to diversify the oil-reliant economy by boosting female employment.

The one-day conference run by Alwaleed Philanthropies, a charitable group working to help women, will see Saudi women from various walks of life on the stage alongside international speakers such as British women’s rights campaigner Cherie Blair.

One speaker, Raha Moharrak, 31, who made history in 2013 as the first Saudi woman to climb Mount Everest, said girls in Saudi Arabia must be taught that they are not less than boys.

“My journey started as a mini rebellion… I wanted to shock my parents,”said Moharrak, who was determined to do something different after studying abroad and won her reluctant father over by email explaining why climbing was important to her.”

Other speakers include Hadeel Ayoub who invented a smart glove that converts sign language to text and writer Kawthar Al Arbash whose son was killed in 2015 trying to stop a suicide bomber.

Princess Lamia Bint Majed Al Saud, secretary general of Alwaleed Philanthropies, said the conference, with the slogan “Saudi Women Can”, was part of a campaign to draw attention to Saudi women’s achievements and inspire the next generation.

After the conference – which she hopes to make annual – a microsite SaudiWomenCan.com with a mobile app will issue daily motivational quotes, while other initiatives are planned.

“I want to give the younger generation role models to show them that, no matter what obstacles, there are opportunities and give them stories to inspire them,” Princess Lamia told the Thomson Reuters Foundation which is partnering with the charity to provide training for Saudi journalists on women’s issues.

Speaker Eqbal Darandari, associate professor at King Saud University who was elected to the Shoura Council in 2016, said it was important women learned responsibility and leadership.

“We need to teach females to be stronger .. to make change, to work on their own,”said Darandari, adding the biggest progress would come if women were given decision making roles.

“We are achieving things but not as fast as we would like. But this is a problem not from the top but from down, from the people, as what is needed is social change and that is slow.”

Moharrak, a graphic designer, said women need to get the support of their fathers and brothers for real change to happen.

“All the women who have managed to achieve independence have two things in common: a firm heart and an understanding father. We don’t grow up with an easy path but no-one wants to be disowned or disrespect their father,”she said. — Reuters

http://saudigazette.com.sa/business/saudi-women-meet-address-changing-role/

Saudi women in technology seek ways to lead
Mar 10, 2017

By Layan Damanhouri

RIYADH – Women of various specialties in the IT sector gathered on Wednesday at the Women Spark, an initiative by Microsoft in cooperation with Alawwal Bank that aims to promote innovation and excellence in the career development of women.

“In Saudi Arabia, female graduates in the IT sector are more than half. We see them working in different specialties,” says Deemah Alyahya, executive director of the Developer Experience and Digital Innovation at Microsoft. “I do see major improvements in females in IT.”

Attendance of females is usually higher in events and training, she notes, an indication that there is a passion and willingness to be more visible in the field.

“The challenge is for women to lead positions in senior management. A lot of females continue to become independent contributors and come to a plateau,” says Alyahya who is the first Saudi female to hold an executive position at Microsoft. “They don’t increase their skills because either they don’t have the confidence to become a CTO or CIO.”

Asked about her role in empower women in the industry, she told Saudi Gazette: “My ambition is to empower women in IT in the Kingdom. As a Saudi IT professional, I feel obligated to support other females in this sector and to enable them with knowledge, networking, software, skills, and whatever they need for them to grow. That’s why I created Women’s Spark and want it to expand it more to females in other sectors because we are now going through a digital transformation in all fields and specialties.”

After three years of the initiative, this year alone Women Spark graduated 30 female cloud experts and architects.

Women in various fields shared success stories and discussed ways to collaborate.

Budoor Ashadawi, who is acting manager of an e-commerce store by day and runs her own entrepreneurship venture by night, says women need to empower each other. “Women can do anything they believe in,” she told Saudi Gazette.

Ashadawi hired a majority of her staff Saudi female graduates. “It wasn’t easy but I feel I have an obligation to give back,” she says. “I found that females are not only hard workers, they are loyal and dedicated.”

Young engineer Aljawharah Alqahtani founded Fixtag, a business in repairing mobile phones. “Girls can do anything from fixing to creating things,” she said commenting on the male-dominated sector of mobile repairing.

Sara Oulddaddah, a leading female gamer in the Kingdom, says there is a community reaching up to 15,000 gamers and developers. She says, “We need to empower each other. In the gaming industry, we have amazing developers, artists and talents. I’m hoping to have an industry to have all these ladies to work together.”

http://saudigazette.com.sa/technology/saudi-women-technology-seek-ways-lead/

GE to bridge gender gap with 50:50 representation of women in technical roles
Mar 8, 2017

Today GE has over 100 women, in addition to over 600 women who work at the all-female business process center opened by GE in association with Saudi Aramco and TCS in Riyadh. — Courtesy photo

Riyadh — In keeping with the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 and its strategic goal, General Electric (GE) announced on Tuesday its plan of achieving 50:50 representation of women for all its technical entry-level programs in the region, especially in engineering, manufacturing, information technology and product management roles.

The strategy reflects GE’s global initiative to have 20,000 women to fill STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) roles in the organization by 2020, said a press release. It also complements the ongoing initiatives of GE in the region to strengthen the participation of women in its workforce.

In 2009, GE had no women on its team in Saudi Arabia. But today there are over 100, in addition to over 600 women who work at the all-female business process center opened by GE in association with Saudi Aramco and TCS in Riyadh. The goal is to hire 3,000 women for the center in the coming years.

“Saudi Vision 2030 has set the target of women representing 30 percent of the workforce, and we are supporting the goal, with a clear outlook to hire and nurture women in technical roles,” said Hisham Al Bahkali, GE’s President & Chief Executive Officer for Saudi Arabia and Bahrain.

“Statistics show that 50% of university graduates in Saudi Arabia are female yet only 22% are represented in the workforce. We are committed to making a difference with our new strategic initiative,” he said.

GE has also signed an MoU with the Asharqia Chamber of Commerce in Dammam to train 1000 women over the next five years at GE Garages facility. The training has commenced, with workshops on coding, 3D printing, and 3D modelling, to enhance digital industrial skills of women in industry.

Nabil Habayeb, GE’s President & Chief Executive Officer for the Middle East, North Africa and Turkey, said: “Our focus has always been to create a truly inclusive culture, fostering a climate that enables women’s employment and leadership. Our focus on 50:50 representation catalyzes our own transformation as a digital industrial company.”

GE has launched a white paper that highlights the economic opportunity of addressing gender imbalance across the sector. It states that women are still under-represented in the technology sector with 13-24% represented in IT and engineering positions globally, and just 17-30% ascending to senior leadership positions. While women tend to outnumber men in higher education (55% to 45%), STEM education drops significantly.

GE Chief Economist Marco Annunziata said: “Unless we bring more women into technology and manufacturing, there will be a significant negative economic impact on the sector. This is a problem for business to actively address.”

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ar...ap-5050-representation-women-technical-roles/

KAU graduates first group of women engineers
Mar 13, 2017

Kingdom_2_2-5-640x428.jpg

Some of the women engineers who graduated with honors from King Abdulaziz University’s Women’s College of Electronic and Industrial Engineering. — Okaz photo

By Mishael Al-Ruwaili

JEDDAH — King Abdulaziz University celebrated the graduation of its first batch of female electrical and industrial engineers.

Hanaa Al-Naeem, dean of KAU’s Women’s College of Electronic and Industrial Engineering, congratulated the graduates and their parents for the achievement.

“The university has produced a new generation of graduates and future creators during its graduation ceremony. The ceremony included graduates from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Communications and Media, College of Design and Art, College of Computer Science and Information Technology, the Higher Education Institute and the English Language Institute,” said Al-Naeem.

She said the university equips the fresh graduates with various educational and vocational skills.

“The Women’s College of Electronic and Industrial Engineering gave women a chance to become pioneers in society. They will build society and break new grounds,” said Al-Naeem.

Ulla Al-Baity said she graduated from the college with honors.

“My colleagues and I are so proud to be the first batch of women graduating from the College of Electronic and Industrial Engineering from a public university. We can’t wait to prove our skills and capabilities in the workplace,” said Al-Baity.

Walaa Balamash said she also graduated with honors.

“We have a lot of challenges ahead of us. But we are confident that we will prove we deserve to be in the workplace as engineers,” said Balamash.

Rahaf Al-Harby said as a graduate of the Women’s College she is aware of the challenges in front of her.

“We are extremely proud and grateful to be the first batch of women graduating from a public university. We know that many other public universities will follow in our footsteps,” said Al-Harby.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia/kau-graduates-first-group-women-engineers/

Last edited:
SAUDI ARABIA
Women to constitute 28% of Saudi Arabia's work force by 2020
Arab News | Published — Tuesday 14 March 2017

From adventurers to inventors, Saudi women unite to inspire new generation
JEDDAH: The Ministry of Labor and Social Development said that its work from home program is set to create about 141,000 jobs by 2020 and added that it expects that the percentage of women in the Saudi workforce will increase to 28 percent by the same year.
The ministry’s program is part of the National Transformation Program 2020 and one of the main methods geared toward providing adequate job opportunities for citizens, especially women and those with disabilities and job seekers in fields with less opportunities.
The ministry said in a statement that the main aim of the program is to reduce the unemployment rate among women, the percentage of which is higher than the unemployment rate among men due to several social obstructions, including the difficulties women face in commuting and familial responsibilities at home.
The program is expected to contribute to the creation of jobs outside the three main cities of the country and is also expected to increase the participation of women in the local labor market as it will provide flexible working hours and spare them from having to commute to work.
The ministry’s initiatives come within the first phase of the National Transformation Program 2020 that is being implemented in partnership with the Council of Economic Affairs and Development and 18 other government entities.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1068131/saudi-arabia

Back
Top Bottom