What's new

Obama just took a parting shot at Israel — and Trump — at the UN

I don't think it's easy for the U.S. to pull out of the U.N.: by U.S. law isn't our ambassador to the U.N. a member of the Cabinet?
Yes, but the position is not responsible for any domestic issues. You can look at the UN Ambassador, while being a member of the Presidential Cabinet, as a 'minister-without-portfolio'.

Suspending U.S. payments to the U.N. might have some effect but there's nothing to prevent the Saudis, Chinese, etc. from stepping up to the plate, right?
None at all. But tacit to financially supporting the UN is being responsible in the leadership role. I doubt that either the Saudis or the Chinese would want THAT position and all of its responsibilities.

What happens after you gave money to a beggar at the street corner ? Do you -- in your head -- want him to do something positive with the money, such as getting a real meal instead of alcohol ? Of course you do. But that is the 'Bingo' moment. You want him to do something with that money even though you know you have no real control over him.

No difference than with the UN. It is grossly naive to believe that the Chinese or the Saudis would give money to the UN with no strings attached, especially now that the US is financially out of the UN. As the Saudis and the Chinese gain prominence in the UN because the US is out, other countries will begun to ask: "What can I do to/for my country ?" The Saudis and the Chinese cannot remain silent for long. Eventually, they will assume the mantle position of 'world leaders.

Has Pakistan demanded such a standard in other disputes between neighboring peoples, like Sudan/South Sudan, or Morocco/Western Sahara? Furthermore, as pointed out many, many times, by design of Pakistan's educators Pakistanis have been poorly equipped to judge matters in the Israel-Palestine conflict, hence how can you determine what is just and what is not? How do you know that Israelis haven't treated the Palestinian Arabs with not only justice but mercy as well? And if you do determine this, it's also explicitly forbidden to publicly acknowledge it, yes?
Difference is Pakistan is an Islamic republic and guardian of Islam for the Arabs:D
So they have no business in Sudan/South Sudan issues, Morocco/western Sahara conflict, Myanmar-Rohingya issue or even China-uygurs issue etc. The only focus should be Israel-Palestine/Arabic issues.:enjoy:

Based on reviewing past action of US administration , this has happened before in US administrative history

Example: President carter wanted the issue to be resolved after he departed office or close to it.
Correct. This was referred to as "Joining the Jackals".

Also if my memory recalls even Bush (GW bush) also had introduced some positive notions for Palestinians towards end of his term.
I think it's more like the Arabs adopted a more positive stance, for in the wake of Desert Storm the PLO was bereft, friendless, and remained in exile. Arafat was pretty much willing to promise anything (which he would then reneg) in return for power.

So much drama as if Israel going to abide by this resolution jeez.

There is nothing to abide by. It is simply a "condemnation" by the UNSC.

Israel will simply ignore it for the next few weeks and wait for Trump. Trump has already indicated that Obummer does not reflect the upcoming US administration in any way.

Trump has an opportunity here too to move the US embassy to Jerusalem to give a nice finger back to Obummer's parthian shot.

Israel will simply ignore it for the next few weeks and wait for Trump. Trump has already indicated that Obummer does not reflect the upcoming US administration in any way.

Trump has an opportunity here too to move the US embassy to Jerusalem to give a nice finger back to Obummer's parthian shot.
Who cares i just find the drama amusing

Something big is cooking , when ever US is about to support Palestine , something normally unprecedented happens on global scale

Note there was this catch in Kerry's statement

"Israel has a chance to work with Arabs , on matters pertaining to Iran - he said so sheapishly" lol

Something big is cooking this statement was there in Kerry's 1 hour speech look for it

I personally have seen this so called change of heart before around 2000's for cause of Palestine

If 2 state does happens I personally have no beef with Jews in their own little zone

But I really hope 2 states are formed as synical as it may be just so each country can just go do their own thing and not yet again a start of new war or event

Last edited:

Its not just a condemnation

Its a security council resolution affirming that all of the West Bank including East Jerusalem is occupied territory which Israel has no right too declaring all settlements as illegal

Israel wanted to change facts on the ground and then force the Palestinians into a settlement where many of the settlements are incorporated by israel.

This security council endorsed resolution has pulled the rug out under from israel and left it no legal position
As West bank has been declared Palestinian territory and israeli dream of owning it or removing them has been crushed

Trump also cant change it, he can of course take unilateral action but it would be against international law and security council resolutions

This resolution is under chapter 6 so it means no sanctions as of yet (that would need to be a chapter 7 resolution)
BUT it now opens up israel to a variety of possible action including ICC action and sanction for building unlawfully on Palestinian land
It strengthens the BDS movement with it being able to legally challenge states and companies with working with individual and groups in occupied territory.

Trump cant do much about it, he can fawn over israel but believe me thst will very quickly have a reaction but internationally and internationally

Israels best bet has always been a QUIET and NUANCED foreign policy especially re the USA with smart and Quiet U.S politicians this over the top fawning over israel will have consequences israeli supporters wont like

Its a security council resolution affirming that all of the West Bank including East Jerusalem is occupied territory which Israel has no right too declaring all settlements as illegal

There is no concrete action to be taken by the UN if Israel does not withdraw its settlements. Thus it is only a condemnation.

The UN is a weak, effeminate organisation. Trump is going to have a lot of fun with it, when he gets around to devoting a couple minutes to it, beyond the much more important domestic issues and focused bilateral diplomacy.

Its not just a condemnation

Including the Jewish Quarter. The U.N. essentially tried to outlaw Jews from their ancient capital and homeland, even in areas with unbroken Jewish ownership for thousands of years. Essentially, this resolution was the U.N.'s endorsement of the "Palestinian" dream to ethnically cleanse Palestine of all Jews.

This security council endorsed resolution has pulled the rug out under from israel and left it no legal position
Not so. By design the powers of the S.C. are not judicial so any statements pretending to such have no impact in international law. Israel's possession of Judea-Samaria and Jerusalem is firmly founded under the Palestine Mandate and under Article 80 of the Charter the U.N. can't unilaterally take it away: the "Palestinian" Arabs do not have the legal right to statehood within its bounds without Israel's say-so, and of course they have no moral right to claim it as long as they won't give up the dream of robbing and murdering their peace-loving Jewish neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom