What's new

NYC bus ads asking 'Leaving Islam?' cause a stir

PH2010052605418.jpg

NYC bus ads asking 'Leaving Islam?' cause a stir

By DEEPTI HAJELA
The Associated Press
Wednesday, May 26, 2010; 9:45 PM

NEW YORK -- The questions on the ads aren't subtle: Leaving Islam? Fatwa on your head? Is your family threatening you?

A conservative activist and the organizations she leads have paid several thousand dollars for the ads to run on at least 30 city buses for a month. The ads point to a website called RefugefromIslam.com, which offers information to those wishing to leave Islam, but some Muslims are calling the ads a smoke screen for an anti-Muslim agenda.

Pamela Geller, who leads an organization called Stop Islamization of America, said the ads were meant to help provide resources for Muslims who are fearful of leaving the faith.

"It's not offensive to Muslims, it's religious freedom," she said. "It's not targeted at practicing Muslims. It doesn't say 'leave,' it says 'leaving' with a question mark."

Geller said the ad buy cost about $8,000, contributed by the readers of her blog, Atlas Shrugs, and other websites. Similar ads have run on buses in Miami, and she said ad buys were planned for other cities.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said Geller's ad was reviewed and did not violate the agency's guidelines.

"The religion in question would not change the determination that the language in the ad does not violate guidelines," MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz said Wednesday.

All ads are screened, MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan said. Most are reviewed by the company that handles the MTA's advertising opportunities, but some are sent to the MTA for ultimate approval.

Last month, Miami-Dade Transit pulled the ads from 10 buses after deciding they "may be offensive to Islam," according to The Miami Herald. But the agency decided to reinstall them after reviewing the ads with the county attorney's office.

The county decided "although they may be considered offensive by some, they do not fall under the general guidelines that would warrant their removal," Transit spokesman Clinton Forbes told the newspaper.

Glenn Smith, a professor at California Western School of Law in San Diego, said discriminating against the ads could result in First Amendment issues for the city.

While people may find the content objectionable, courts have ruled that the First Amendment requires Americans to put up with "a lot of unenlightened and objectionable messages," he said.

"It's sort of the price of keeping government out of the marketplace of ideas," he said.

Eugene Volokh, a First Amendment expert at UCLA School of Law, said the ads could leave some Muslims reluctant to ride the bus. There could also be a risk that some extremist groups might bomb the buses, although that possibility wouldn't limit free speech rights, he said.

The agency had received no complaints since the ads went up on May 14, MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan said. The 30 or so buses with the ads pass through all five boroughs of the city.

Council member Robert Jackson, a Muslim, said he had not seen the ad. But he questioned the criteria the MTA uses in determining what is appropriate.

He also takes issue with the content. He doesn't believe anyone is being forced to stay in a religion, especially in America, which was built on religious freedom.

"I think this is a campaign by the extreme right, those that are against the Muslim religion," he said. "Quite frankly, I would think the average New Yorker would take it for what it's worth."

Faiza Ali, of the New York chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the ads were based on a false premise that people face coercion to remain with Islam. She said Muslims believe faith that is forced is not true belief.

"Geller is free to say what she likes just as concerned community members are free to criticize her motives," Ali said.

Geller has a history of speaking out against Muslims, and the ads are "a smoke screen to advance her long-standing history of anti-Muslim bigotry," Ali said.

Geller said she had no problem with Muslims, but was working to "maintain the separation of mosque and state." She is also among those speaking out against the building of a mosque and cultural center near ground zero.

What would be the response of america or Europe if in a Muslim country the minorities were asked if they wanted to leave their religion? And these hypocrites talk about minority rights!

What would be the response of america or Europe if in a Muslim country the minorities were asked if they wanted to leave their religion? And these hypocrites talk about minority rights!
I thought minorities in muslim countries are usually not asked but either beaten to death for refusal to convert or beaten until they convert. Then what is the point of asking.

So would it be OK for me to pay NYC to run ads saying "Renouncing US Citizenship? Afraid of the CIA and IRS? Is your family threatening you?" ? Or would that violate some obscure rule?

That would be completely legal, although it is something quite different than protecting people from a potentially violent backlash of the family when leaving a religion..

You would be real-life trolling, but perfectly within your rights. However I imagine it would be very unsuccessful since people want to GET the US citizenship not renounce it.. :rolleyes:

Heard of Freedom of Speech? The US take that very seriously, more so than any other country on Earth..

I thought minorities in muslim countries are usually not asked but either beaten to death for refusal to convert or beaten until they convert. Then what is the point of asking.

Your thoughts are borrowed from Tel Aviv that's why you have no shame in lying through your teeth. In which Muslim country are the minorities beaten until they convert? Please enlighten us with your twisted facts. It happened in Spain during the Spanish Inquisition, it happened to the native Indians in america, get your facts right!

So would it be OK for me to pay NYC to run ads saying "Renouncing US Citizenship? Afraid of the CIA and IRS? Is your family threatening you?" ? Or would that violate some obscure rule?

Yep, its possible as this is not China. But the question is How many are ready to Renounce US Citizenship?

Not at all true, poselytizing most of the time is just subtle version of the same stuff. I saw this today morning in Dubai on a car

'Worship the creator, not the creation' (bridge to faith.com or some).

Who do you think this 'cheap shot' was aimed at??? I did not even read it twice.

Just because its Islam people are overreacting as always. they should learn to get over themselves, that way such ads will also become irrelevant!

So true.

I was wondering what the reaction would be.
Maybe burn a bus in Pakistan to protest the ad on the bus in Miami.
Similar reactions have been seen earlier and hence cannot be ruled out.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others spanked you: Yes, it would be legal and OK. You may take your foot out of your mouth now.

Yep, its possible as this is not China. But the question is How many are ready to Renounce US Citizenship?

That’s another of your lies. No advertisement firm will ever accept such an advertisement to begin with and even if a firm allows it the next day its owner will be placed in the Guantonamo prison cell as a terror suspect.

That’s another of your lies. No advertisement firm will ever accept such an advertisement to begin with and even if a firm allows it the next day its owner will be placed in the Guantonamo prison cell as a terror suspect.
The US government does not control those ads, which fall under the 'freedom of speech' shield, and people have call US Presidents all kinds of offensive names, such as Bill Clinton for his sexual escapades and Bush for the Iraq wars, and none are imprisoned. So where is your evidence that a controversial ad about a religion can land a person in jail?

The US government does not control those ads, which fall under the 'freedom of speech' shield, and people have call US Presidents all kinds of offensive names, such as Bill Clinton for his sexual escapades and Bush for the Iraq wars, and none are imprisoned. So where is your evidence that a controversial ad about a religion can land a person in jail?

It is not the fault of the US govt..but the creative genius who have suggested this Ad and the Ad agency should have thought it will hurt the sentiments of 1 billion people. OK they may be not Idiots and they can think, so might have deliberately put that Ad for controversy.

All in all, a poor taste.

Wow the hurt feelings card again... grow the f*ck up and stop whining about stuff on the other side of the planet.

You know what should hurt your feelings as a human being? That some Muslim fathers or brothers kill their daughters or sisters when they want to leave Islam..

I know you always think everything is about you guys and to hurt you and create controversy, however reality tells a different story..
If there is one thing that is beyond annoying it is this absurd sentiment of "taking offense" or not "hurting the feelings" of a religion..

As the great Stephen Fry put it: "'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so f*cking what?'"

I've stated a hypothetical situation, so there's no question of evidence. Anyway, many of the detainees at Guantanamo Bay have been found innocent, now I consider that as a good evidence of what I've said. Where is your evidence that people in the Muslim states force the minorities to accept Islam?

As the great Stephen Fry put it: "'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so f*cking what?'"

How would your great Stephen Fry have felt if the bus ad had read "Leaving the Homosexual lifestyle" ?
Would he have kept his BIG mouth shut ? Would he have not whined too ?

Back
Top Bottom