What's new

NSA was spying on Japanese PM Shinzo Abe, WikiLeaks reveals

Tresbon

Reaction score
Country
China
WikiLeaks, the whistleblowing organisation recently revealed that the US National Security Agency (NSA) was actively spying on some of Japan’s high-profile citizens, including the current Japanese Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe.

Along with high-profile people, NSA was also spying on corporations like Mitsubishi. According to the documents from WikiLeaks, the agency had also bugged Japan’s G8 proposals on climate change, which were highly confidential. They were also allegedly spying on Japan’s secret World Trade Organisation (WTO) plan.

The whistleblowing organisation has not yet revealed the sources of their documents, but it is most likely to be coming from the cache of unpublished documents released to the journalists by former NSA worker, Edward Snowden.

Julian Assange, the co-founder and editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks says that this revelation shouldn’t come as a surprise because of the fact that the US has become a global surveillance superpower.

But there’s one surprise to this whole revelation. The term of spying on Shinzo, dates from when he was serving his first term in the office, that lasted from September 2006 to September 2007. It was during that time when US President Barack Obama said that Japan is “one of America’s closest allies in the world.”

This revelation will then become a major embarrassment to the US and President Obama, especially.

Japan is not alone in being put under this sort of surveillance. The reports also reveal similar details that the NSA had been spying on their allies Brazil, France and Germany.

Julian Assange says, “In these documents we see the Japanese government worrying in private how much or how little to tell the United States, in order to prevent undermining of its climate change proposal or its diplomatic relationship.”

“And yet we now know that the United States heard everything and read everything, and was passing around the deliberations of Japanese leadership to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK. The lesson for Japan is this: do not expect a global surveillance superpower to act with honour and respect. There is only one rule: there are no rules.”

NSA was spying on Japanese PM Shinzo Abe, WikiLeaks reveals | ITProPortal.com

This is the reason why Japan must , and i repeat, must develop our intelligence potential , separate of the United States.

This news is very disconcerting. Why must you spy on us, American Ally? :(....

@Technogaianist @Peter C @AMDR @F-22Raptor ..... :(

This is the reason why Japan must , and i repeat, must develop our intelligence potential , separate of the United States.

I'm guessing Mitsubishi for this
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for Abe...I'm sure it's the NSA's job to find out what people REALLY think....versus what they choose to say in their public persona.

As for Abe...I'm sure it's the NSA's job to find out what people REALLY think....versus what they choose to say in their public persona.

I wonder what the US state department personnel said when they found out Abe's personal position. :)

Curiosity on my part, lol.

Everyone spies on everyone. It just so happens we really don't give a faen.

Norway accepts the US’ response to surveillance and spying ‘scandal’

Probably because we helped them spy:

Revealed: Norway spies on Russia for NSA — RT News

It's common, Russia's keen to remind us of that.

Listening devices found in Oslo, prompting spying investigation| Reuters

World leaders spy on world leaders, it happens, everyone does it. I take solace in knowing that no intelligence agency has the time or interest to concern themselves with my private matters (all incidents of the NSA's employees targeting civilians were due to personal interests with the targets - such as ex-lovers NSA staff used spy tools on spouses, ex-lovers: watchdog . They aren't targeting random, nameless people ), so I don't care too much about them gathering my electronic information. It's hardly as if I'm adverse to sharing it anyway.

Now wave for the Chinese, they're watching you too:wave:.

World leaders spy on world leaders, it happens, everyone does it. I take solace in knowing that no intelligence agency has the time or interest to concern themselves with my private matters (all incidents of the NSA's employees targeting civilians were due to personal interests with the targets - such as ex-lovers NSA staff used spy tools on spouses, ex-lovers: watchdog . They aren't targeting random, nameless people ), so I don't care too much about them gathering my electronic information. It's hardly as if I'm adverse to sharing it anyway.

Still, my heart has been hurt. How shall you repair it? These news hurts us Japanese so....

Still, my heart has been hurt. How shall you repair it?

Apology cookie? Ask the Americans though, when revelations reveal Norway's spying on Japan, then I'll make a batch of cookies just for you;)

apology_cookie_cake-510x600.png

Still, my heart has been hurt. How shall you repair it? These news hurts us Japanese so....

Unfortunately, there's not much I can say to make you feel better. The reality is that intelligence agencies around the world are up to this stuff. Many of the countries in Europe share intel with the US, Germany was caught helping us spy on other European countries, Sweden(a neutral country) helps us spy on Russia. I recall an interview with former CIA director Bob Gates who was asked what allies spy on the US. He named Israel first, then France...

Governments want to know what other governments are thinking behind the scenes. That looks to be the case here.
For the record, I support the buildup of Japan's intelligence capability.

It's just Obama checking his mistress Abe, nothing to worry about the mighty alliance.

Probably because we helped them spy:

Revealed: Norway spies on Russia for NSA — RT News

It's common, Russia's keen to remind us of that.

Listening devices found in Oslo, prompting spying investigation| Reuters

I want to wave to the Norwegians too, oh wait Norway don't have the technology to spy. :lol:

Unfortunately, there's not much I can say to make you feel better. The reality is that intelligence agencies around the world are up to this stuff. Many of the countries in Europe share intel with the US, Germany was caught helping us spy on other European countries, Sweden(a neutral country) helps us spy on Russia. I recall an interview with former CIA director Bob Gates who was asked what allies spy on the US. He named Israel first, then France...

Governments want to know what other governments are thinking behind the scenes. That looks to be the case here.
For the record, I support the buildup of Japan's intelligence capability.

Well, let's just hope that continued intelligence sharing remains unchanged between both of our countries. We have too much to worry about, anyways.

Well, let's just hope that continued intelligence sharing remains unchanged between both of our countries. We have too much to worry about, anyways.

Intel Sharing means Japan has to provide its best efforts of whatever it has on Russia, China and N.Korea even S.Korea to the US, the other way around is not guaranteeed.

Plus Japan has to be nessessarily spied by the US. THAT IS THE ARRANGEMENT.

Naive, aren't you? It has been more than 60 years.

The US has been spying on many of its none-core allies, none Anglo-Saxon nations. You think Japan could be spared? that's called too simple and easily deluded.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom