What's new

Nirbhay: The most awaited cruise missile

Just one thing i have observed, DRDO may have a big mouth accepted but when we decide that a project is secret that no ffing details are revealed.

Prahaar, Sagarika, Arihant and Nirbhay comes to mind instantaneously. Till to date no photographs are released of arihant and details are not clear of K series ( sagarika ) of missiles. :tup:

Just one thing i have observed, DRDO may have a big mouth accepted but when we decide that a project is secret that no ffing details are revealed.

Prahaar, Sagarika, Arihant and Nirbhay comes to mind instantaneously. Till to date no photographs are released of arihant and details are not clear of K series ( sagarika ) of missiles. :tup:

yus and i guess K-15 missiles test was scheduled for this march might have been test fired who knows ....
India.gif

We just gotta wait, if the news is anything to go by all the work on the Kaveri engine will not go for waste, soon you will find a whole family of these cruise missile tumbling out of the closet!

Indian_Nirbhay_Cruise_Missile.JPG

Manufacturer DRDO
Produced Expected in 2012

Specifications

Weight 1,000 kg[3]
Length 6 m
Diameter 0.52 m
Operational
range 1,000 km[3][1]
Speed 0.8 mach
Guidance
system INS

missile-Nirbhay.jpg

We just gotta wait, if the news is anything to go by all the work on the Kaveri engine will not go for waste, soon you will find a whole family of these cruise missile tumbling out of the closet!

Obviously it is not a complete waste. We can build indigenous motors for cruise missiles and present Kaveri has a lot of potential to propel Ships and UAVs.

Indian_Nirbhay_Cruise_Missile.JPG

Manufacturer DRDO
Produced Expected in 2012

Specifications

Weight 1,000 kg[3]
Length 6 m
Diameter 0.52 m
Operational
range 1,000 km[3][1]
Speed 0.8 mach
Guidance
system INS

missile-Nirbhay.jpg

^^^^

Nirbhay probably looks nothing like Kh-31 or Tomahawk missile.

as a defence tech enthusiast i will be happy to read more details..
"loitering capability" will be something new for a cruise missile.

Does that mean the missile will have two way communication capability? Similar to Babur which has the ability to send realtime position data to commanders..

And no pakistani cruise missiles dont rely on GPS.
Pakistan has access to chinese compass military grade secure navigation signals.
But loitering? Interesting.

as a defence tech enthusiast i will be happy to read more details..
"loitering capability" will be something new for a cruise missile.

Does that mean the missile will have two way communication capability? Similar to Babur which has the ability to send realtime position data to commanders..

And no pakistani cruise missiles dont rely on GPS.
Pakistan has access to chinese compass military grade secure navigation signals.
But loitering? Interesting.

Dunno about any other country but APJ abdul Kalam has consistently voiced his opinion for DRDO to develop one !!

Litering will be like a monkey coming down again and again to slap a tiger carefully though to escape his paws from different directions ( enemy radar installation :P ) and eventually getting to give one HAHA!!

I was merely pointing out that they have no long range cruise missile the best they have is medium range and that too the Babur..

Well increasing range of the missile is probably the easiest thing to do...but improving its precision is way harder...

From what I understand , why would Pakistan need a cruise missile with over 750 km range? 750 km range is more than enough...We cover ALL your forward airbases , military war-time positions , and even your capitol city with our nuclear-capable babur cruise missile...Just let the platform get more mature... increase the range when its needed...

I would like to see the naval version of babur with more range offcourse...

Lets see what Nirbhay got ... Hope it is tested soon...and DRDO makes a good video of it ..and release it to the public....

Well increasing range of the missile is probably the easiest thing to do...but improving its precision is way harder...

From what I understand , why would Pakistan need a cruise missile with over 750 km range? 750 km range is more than enough...We cover ALL your forward airbases , military war-time positions , and even your capitol city with our nuclear-capable babur cruise missile...Just let the platform get more mature... increase the range when its needed...

I would like to see the naval version of babur with more range offcourse...

Lets see what Nirbhay got ... Hope it is tested soon...and DRDO makes a good video of it ..and release it to the public....

considering the secrecy behind nirbhay I am afraid it is gonna head K-15 or Arihant's way .. totally under wraps ;)

Just saw the James Bond movie that had American cruise-missles as a main plot-point. Wow, how far we have come (still had connery, was the same year I joined the Army)

Just saw the James Bond movie that had American cruise-missles as a main plot-point. Wow, how far we have come (still had connery, was the same year I joined the Army)

US army ? :woot:

the engine is not NPO saturns it is banned under MTCR...............it will be a HAL built one the specs are clear 0.7 mach,strategic application(u dont call UAV engines as strategic but tactical)......
the engine is not NPO saturns it is banned under MTCR...............it will be a HAL built one the specs are clear 0.7 mach,strategic   application(u dont call UAV engines as strategic but tactical)......

Back
Top Bottom