What's new

Next Frontier of Supercomputer: China's Exascale in the Making

I am pretty sure there is no reason to design any because China, the US and Russia already have enough to destroy the world a few times.

But next generation perhaps means smaller, more mobile and higher yield warheads for multiple platforms for more effective delivery.

For, as I understand, the delivery range and capacity (speed and maneuverability) is not as important as the yield. This is especially important for (few) countries that seek absolute second strike capacity.

For China, this is a must, I believe. It is more important that having the capacity to destroy the world several times over.

It is highly unlikely. But, surgical, precision strikes are likely.

Yes for the US and Russia but no for China.

China needs to stock up on its nuclear arsenals at least 10 times to stop any country from having any silly intent on China.
China has estimated 3000 nuclear warheads, believe me, that's enough to destroy every city and country in the world.
Anyways I don't think any of these countries will fight all of the world.

China needs to stock up on its nuclear arsenals at least 10 times to stop any country from having any silly intent on China.
Ya.. And then they can issue a Nuclear Missile free for every citizen who wins jackpot.. What kind of a logic is this?? Few Nuclear weapons are enough to destroy most part of the world.. Why do you need thousands of them?? Even Hundreds of them for that matter???

Ya.. And then they can issue a Nuclear Missile free for every citizen who wins jackpot.. What kind of a logic is this?? Few Nuclear weapons are enough to destroy most part of the world.. Why do you need thousands of them?? Even Hundreds of them for that matter???
No, a few wont destroy most of the world, hundreds will, thousand is just an "overkill" and waste of money and resources.

China has estimated 3000 nuclear warheads, believe me, that's enough to destroy every city and country in the world.
Anyways I don't think any of these countries will fight all of the world.

Not according to the Americans whose estimate is 200 pieces.

We have no choice but believe the Americans. :D

No, a few wont destroy most of the world, hundreds will, thousand is just an "overkill" and waste of money and resources.
The context few refers to anything less than hundred.. In today's world and the Kind of Yield nuclear weapons have and the MIRVs will ensure few will be enough to destroy most part of the world.. Even Hundreds is over kill..

Not according to the Americans whose estimate is 200 pieces.

We have no choice but believe the Americans. :D
Nope, the blast from a nuclear warhead is "just" a couple kilometers wide, radiation is a few dozen kilometers.

China is doing some great innovations in supercomputer space. I hope their algorithms are powerful enough to make use of it ..

I am not worrying about our coders

You may find a clue here below

International Olympiad in Informatics

http://stats.ioinformatics.org/countries/
All time ranking:
#1: China Gold 72 + Silver 23 + Bronze 12 = Grand Total 107
: Russia 52 + 32 +12 = 96
: USA 42 + 33 + 15 = 90
#4: Poland 34 + 36 + 27 = 97
#5: S Korea 33 + 33 + 26 = 92
Hong Kong: 04 + 21 + 38 = 53
Taiwan: 17 + 42 + 22 = 81
Macau: 0 + 4 + 10 = 14

China's all time performance:
http://stats.ioinformatics.org/results/CHN

Also take a look at 2016, google Code Jam now entering into final phase of competition in which the world's top 25 from these countries will be competing shortly:

https://code.google.com/codejam/contest/3224486/scoreboard

China has a humble presence in the Top 25
Have u found your players?

I am pretty sure there is no reason to design any because China, the US and Russia already have enough to destroy the world a few times.

It is true, but all major nuclear power will continue to modernize their nuclear arsenal in perpetuity.

The US will soon modernize their Trident program, Russia will keep producing the more advanced ICBM, so same for China.

The supercomputer will provide the even greater efficiency to design the even more advanced nuclear warheads and its delivery tools. Others also apply to the design of the supercarrier and submarine.

When the shield (missile defense system) has been constantly upgraded, then the spear (nuclear missile) should also be upgraded.

Just like Israel, we also keep our nuclear weapons in low profile, but still we need to make sure that they are always advanced enough to protect our national security.

What are these super computers capable of?
Or what's the reason to build them?

we all know the military applications, so some civilian applications:

1. Computational chemistry and solid state physics - for better solar cells, medicine, processes, etc. that require detailed knowledge of the behavior of millions of molecules at once (which is still a tiny nanometer sized piece of the material or device) over timescales that are not directly observable in experiments such as femtoseconds or centuries.

2. Weather forecasting - did you know that merely 50 years ago, all of mankind was at the mercy of the weather and nobody knew what would happen even within 12 hours? Without supercomputers, weather forecasts will not exist.

3. Fluid dynamics - for the design of everything that moves through fluid mediums, ranging from swimsuits to aircraft.

4. Finance - the markets are extremely complicated and many highly volatile markets require supercomputer models to predict trends. In fact, algorithmic trading is already a thing and many traders actually rent supercomputer processors to do exactly this.

5. Astrophysics - astrophysics is extremely computationally intensive because of a thing called multiscale dynamics. For example, in chemistry and solid state physics, everything that matters happens at the nanometer range. That's a single size scale. In fluid dynamics, everything that matters happens at a meter scale. That's also a single size scale. But in astrophysics, there's things that happen at at the atomic level, but which have effects that manifest at the stellar scale (millions of years and across millions of miles), which makes it so that only supercomputers can handle the code.

The National Supercomputer Center in Tianjin and the National University of Defense Technology(NUDT) have assembled a 500-member team to work on the prototype project the main purpose of which is to verifiy certain theories, technologies and designs that will form the basis of a full exascale system by 2020.

A separate smaller team has been set up by the NUDT to delve into the possibility and feasibility of a 10-100E system by 2025.

Personally I hope that quantum computer will beat conventional computer to it(well in excess of 100E) before 2025. :D

The National Supercomputer Center in Tianjin and the National University of Defense Technology(NUDT) have assembled a 500-member team to work on the prototype project the main purpose of which is to verifiy certain theories, technologies and designs that will form the basis of a full exascale system by 2020.

A separate smaller team has been set up by the NUDT to delve into the possibility and feasibility of a 10-100E system by 2025.

Personally I hope that quantum computer will beat conventional computer to it(well in excess of 100E) before 2025. :D

Hopefully we will have our Yottaflop supercomputer in the next 20 years, since President Xi has already addressed that it is the time for China to burn its cosmos.

we all know the military applications, so some civilian applications:

1. Computational chemistry and solid state physics - for better solar cells, medicine, processes, etc. that require detailed knowledge of the behavior of millions of molecules at once (which is still a tiny nanometer sized piece of the material or device) over timescales that are not directly observable in experiments such as femtoseconds or centuries.

2. Weather forecasting - did you know that merely 50 years ago, all of mankind was at the mercy of the weather and nobody knew what would happen even within 12 hours? Without supercomputers, weather forecasts will not exist.

3. Fluid dynamics - for the design of everything that moves through fluid mediums, ranging from swimsuits to aircraft.

4. Finance - the markets are extremely complicated and many highly volatile markets require supercomputer models to predict trends. In fact, algorithmic trading is already a thing and many traders actually rent supercomputer processors to do exactly this.

5. Astrophysics - astrophysics is extremely computationally intensive because of a thing called multiscale dynamics. For example, in chemistry and solid state physics, everything that matters happens at the nanometer range. That's a single size scale. In fluid dynamics, everything that matters happens at a meter scale. That's also a single size scale. But in astrophysics, there's things that happen at at the atomic level, but which have effects that manifest at the stellar scale (millions of years and across millions of miles), which makes it so that only supercomputers can handle the code.
Thanks, now I can understand.

Thanks, now I can understand.

Looking at it another way, we also need more powerful computers to win the "hacking" game

fuckyou.jpeg

Chinese "hackers" at work :lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom