What's new

News from Bangladesh-Updates and Discussion

Pro-AL students 'swoop on rivals at DU halls'
Thu, Jan 1st, 2009 11:09 pm BdST

Dhaka, Jan 1 (bdnews24.com) – Bangladesh Chhatra League, the student front of Awami League that won a landslide Awami in Monday's general election, are allegedly harassing students at the dormitories of the Dhaka University.

Its supporters have assaulted a number of students, stormed a number of rooms of students of rival bodies, occupied them and looted valuables.

Shortly after the victory, AL president Sheikh Hasina directed the BCL to ensure peaceful coexistence on the university campuses, but many allege the BCL activists are not listening.
Most of the supporters of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal and Islami Chhatra Shibir, students wings of BNP and Jamaat-e-Islami, have left dormitories shortly after confirmation of their parental bodies' defeat in the election in a bid to avoid backlash from BCL supporters.

The BCL supporters had done the same thing after BNP-Jamaat alliance's victory in 2001 election.

Residents of a number of dormitories have alleged that the BCL supporters have put a number of rooms, where the JCD and the Shibir men had been living, under lock and key.

There are 12 halls for male students that are mainly facing the BCL wrath.

The BCL supporters have allegedly looted two computers from room 512 of Kabi Jasimuddin Hall.

They also beat a resident, Abul Kalam Azad of mass communication and journalism and forced him out of the hall.

A number of rooms of Jasimuddin Hall, Sergeant Johurul Haq Hall, Salimullah Hall, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall, President Ziur Rahman Hall, Muhsin Hall, Suryasen Hall and five other dormitories were locked allegedly to occupy those to accommodate BCL loyalists.

The BCL men also allegedly stormed two Salimullah Hall rooms of university correspondents of pro-Jamaat newspapers Dainik Nayadiganta and Dainik Sangram and looted their valuables.

The BCL men are allegedly guarding the entrances to the dormitories and keeping an eye on movements of residents.

"Residents are being interrogated while getting in and out of the dormitories by the BCL men," a resident said, requesting anonymity.

"They are asking the student questions like 'which subject are you studying?', 'are you involved in JCD or Shibir politics?', 'Have you cast votes for boat?'" the student said.

The BCL president, Mahmud Hasan Ripon, on Wednesday told bdnews24.com that punitive measures would be taken against those who have defied Hasina's orders.

Last edited:
Pro-AL students 'swoop on rivals at DU halls'
Thu, Jan 1st, 2009 11:09 pm BdST

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^ sometime I wonder, is it the political party or its that in our blood... very uncivilized

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Amar desh's owner is Mr.Falu,who is in jail for corruption.

Mosaddik Ali Falu is my cousin's brother-in-law. His wife came to our house in USA, when Falu was in power. I know the whole deal about him, his jail time was a big farce to keep him out of the public, that's it. He was treated with respect and lived like a king in prison.

He is corrupt no doubt, but he is very Islamic in a way, SHOCKING. No woman other than his wife, can sit in the same table to eat with him, unless she wears a hijab. When he stays at anyone's house, they must read namaaz 5 times. He helped the poor a lot and he helped give jobs to many students.

It's weird how he's corrupt and yet he did good deeds.

No woman other than his wife, can sit in the same table to eat with him, unless she wears a hijab.
Tarique Zia attempted to kill him few times.. Ask why??? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Falu is the only person who had no entrance in Hawa Bhaban but still was the closest with the power house...

Post-polls violence leaves 30 more people wounded
Staff Correspondent
More 30 people were allegedly injured in attacks by Awami League activists and AL office in Jamalpur was vandalised in the post–polls violence on Wednesday and Thursday, after the general elections on December 29.

In Jamalpur, unknown miscreants vandalised the Awami League office at Kendua Kalibari on early Thursday. Unknown persons stormed the office and damaged the portraits of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and Sheikh Hasina there.
The local leaders of AL blamed the rival BNP activists for the incident while BNP leaders termed the blaming ‘false’ and the incident ‘stage managed’ to harass the opponents.
In Jessore, a defeated BNP contestant, Abul Hossain Azad, who fought for the Jessore-6 constituency, came under attacks allegedly by the activists of rival Awami League at Bhatpara under Abhoynagar upazila on Wednesday evening.
Azad alleged that a number of AL activists, led by Dilip Goswami, Rabiul Islam, Abdul Kuddus and Abdul Azim, assaulted him physically.
A 70-year-old Kobad Ali of Ganganandapur village under Jhikargachha upazila complained that a group of rival party supporters attacked him with a spade as he supported the 4-party alliance candidate. He was undergoing treatment at Jessore General Hospital.
Kazi Shajahan Sabuj, Benapole correspondent of the Channel-1 television, and Mashiar Rahman, Beanpole correspondent of Daily Sangram, came under attacks of the AL activists at the land port, alleged the journalists.
At least 25 supporters of the BNP-led four-party alliance were injured in attacks allegedly by the rival AL activists at several places in Jessore.
The notorious persons with criminal records, who went into hiding after the state of emergency was declared, came out and engaged in criminal activities again, the alliance leaders observed.
Kkaledur Rahman Tito, MP-elect from the Jessore-3 constituency, at a briefing in Jessore Press Club appealed to the AL activists to refrain from attacking opponents and urged the law enforcers to maintain strictly the law and order situation.
In Kishoreganj, the post-polls violence was continuing in Kuliarchar upazila as three more BNP activists were hospitalised on Wednesday night.
Khaja Miah, an activist of Jatiyatabadi Juba Dal, the youth front of BNP, and Humayun Kabir, a worker of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal, the student front of BNP, were among the injured in attacks by the AL activists. They were admitted to Jahurul Islam Medical College Hospital in Bazitpur with wounds.
In another incident, Lahut, 55, an activist of Kishoreganj municipality unit of BNP, became seriously wounded in an attack by unknown persons on Wednesday night at the local Bazar bus-terminal. He was also admitted to the Bazitpur hospital.

http://www.newagebd.com/2009/jan/02/front.html

BCL occupies rooms at DU halls
3 BCL activists injured in in-party clash

Many students residing in different dormitories at Dhaka University found their rooms under lock and key when they returned to the campus after a month-long vacation as activists of the Bangladesh Chhatra League occupied the rooms following the Awami League’s landslide elections victory.
More than a hundred rooms at different halls of residence were occupied by the Chhatra League activists and they clashed among themselves over occupying the rooms, campus sources said.
Asif Shaon, a sociology student, told New Age that the Chhhatra League activists had occupied his room and locked it though neither he nor his roommates have any political identity.
‘Chhatra Dal activists had helped me to get a seat in Sir AF Rahman Hall and I had to take part in their processions in return when I was a first year student as nobody could get a seat otherwise. I don’t have any political identity,’ he said.
Ariful Islam, a residential student at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall, said the Chhatra League activists occupied the rooms to establish their supremacy and even the rooms of the general students were not spared.
Mohammad Shafiullah, an assistant proctor of the university, told New Age that they have asked the hall provosts to take action against the activists who are trying to make the environment in the halls unstable.
‘We also requested the leaders of student organisations to avoid clashes but the students and the house tutors got panicked because of the incidents that take place in the past few days. We hope that the university authorities would be able to establish their control in the halls,’ he added.
Three activists of Chhatra League were injured in an in-party clash at Ziaur Rahman Hall of the university over establishing supremacy at the hall on Thursday
Police also recovered ten crude bombs left abandoned on the roof of the hall after conducting a raid.
The hall sources said the clash ensued over occupying rooms at the hall which were under control of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal in the past seven years. The injured are Salman, a third year student of English department, Jashim and Towhid — all residents of the hall.
Feuds were continuing in the hall between groups led by Ziku and Eusuf who are blessed respectively by the university unit president, Sohel Rana Tipur, and the general secretary, Sajjad Sakib Badsha.
Borhan Uddin Khan, provost of Ziaur Rahman Hall, said they found six residents of the hall responsible for the clash as the Chhatra League leaders provided him with the names.
‘We requested the Chhatra League leaders to help us in identifying the activists who were behind the clash as it was difficult for us to identify them. We also asked the police to arrest them whenever they find them on the campus,’ he added.

CU students vacating halls fearing clash
Bdnews24.com . Chittagong

Chittagong University students have been vacating the residential halls since December 30 in fear of violent conflicts between Awami League’s student wing Chhatra League and a few other student organisations.
Since the day after the general election on December 29, which the AL-led alliance won, the residential students of six halls of the university have left with their belongings.
They took temporary shelters in bachelors’ quarters or relatives’ houses in the city.
The vice-chancellor, professor Badiul Alam, held an emergency meeting with the proctor and provosts on Wednesday in the wake of the students leaving halls.
The meeting decided to monitor the halls regularly to help genuine residents get back to halls and also suggested steps to maintain peace on the campus.
On a visit to the halls on Thursday the news agency hardly found any students in the halls except the members of Islami Chhatra Shibir, the Jamaa-e-Islami-backed student organisation.
Mustafizur Rahman and Saiful Islam of Shahjalal Hall, Abdur Rashid of Shah Amanat Hall, Rezwan Ahmed of AF Rahman Hall, Abdul Latif and Iftekhar Hossain of Shaeed Suhrawardy Hall left the dormitories on Wednesday.
They said they apprehended a violent conflict after pro-BCL students, who had been driven out of the halls by four-party alliance adherents before, get back to their halls.
Asked about the students leaving the halls en masse, CU proctor professor Mohammad Jasim Uddin said the authorities were doing all they could to maintain calm.
provost of Shaheed Abdur Hall said the Wednesday’s meeting chaired by the vice-chancellor asked the authorities to visit the halls to keep an eye on the situation and maintain order.
On Thursday, BCL brought out a procession along the university thoroughfares for the first time after seven years.
BCL’s CU unit vice-president Mohammad Anisuzzaman Emon said, ‘Not through conflict, but through legitimate means we want to board the halls.’
Meanwhile, Islami Chhatra Shibir has announced it will resist the members of BCL and other organisations getting into the halls.
Its organising secretary Zakir Hossain said, ‘Shibir’s control on the halls was always there and will always remain.’
He warned the BCL and other student organisations that ‘any attempt to create problems on the campus would be strongly dealt with’.
Shibir has been dominating the six halls and more than 50 nearby cottages for long.

Tarique Zia attempted to kill him few times.. Ask why??? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Falu is the only person who had no entrance in Hawa Bhaban but still was the closest with the power house...

Lolz, my family never mentioned that to me. I was ordered to stay away from that side of the family.

Post-polls violence leaves 30 more people wounded
Staff Correspondent
More 30 people were allegedly injured in attacks by Awami League activists and AL office in Jamalpur was vandalised in the post–polls violence on Wednesday and Thursday, after the general elections on December 29.

In Jamalpur, unknown miscreants vandalised the Awami League office at Kendua Kalibari on early Thursday. Unknown persons stormed the office and damaged the portraits of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and Sheikh Hasina there.
The local leaders of AL blamed the rival BNP activists for the incident while BNP leaders termed the blaming ‘false’ and the incident ‘stage managed’ to harass the opponents.
In Jessore, a defeated BNP contestant, Abul Hossain Azad, who fought for the Jessore-6 constituency, came under attacks allegedly by the activists of rival Awami League at Bhatpara under Abhoynagar upazila on Wednesday evening.
Azad alleged that a number of AL activists, led by Dilip Goswami, Rabiul Islam, Abdul Kuddus and Abdul Azim, assaulted him physically.
A 70-year-old Kobad Ali of Ganganandapur village under Jhikargachha upazila complained that a group of rival party supporters attacked him with a spade as he supported the 4-party alliance candidate. He was undergoing treatment at Jessore General Hospital.
Kazi Shajahan Sabuj, Benapole correspondent of the Channel-1 television, and Mashiar Rahman, Beanpole correspondent of Daily Sangram, came under attacks of the AL activists at the land port, alleged the journalists.
At least 25 supporters of the BNP-led four-party alliance were injured in attacks allegedly by the rival AL activists at several places in Jessore.
The notorious persons with criminal records, who went into hiding after the state of emergency was declared, came out and engaged in criminal activities again, the alliance leaders observed.
Kkaledur Rahman Tito, MP-elect from the Jessore-3 constituency, at a briefing in Jessore Press Club appealed to the AL activists to refrain from attacking opponents and urged the law enforcers to maintain strictly the law and order situation.
In Kishoreganj, the post-polls violence was continuing in Kuliarchar upazila as three more BNP activists were hospitalised on Wednesday night.
Khaja Miah, an activist of Jatiyatabadi Juba Dal, the youth front of BNP, and Humayun Kabir, a worker of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal, the student front of BNP, were among the injured in attacks by the AL activists. They were admitted to Jahurul Islam Medical College Hospital in Bazitpur with wounds.
In another incident, Lahut, 55, an activist of Kishoreganj municipality unit of BNP, became seriously wounded in an attack by unknown persons on Wednesday night at the local Bazar bus-terminal. He was also admitted to the Bazitpur hospital.

Will Mr. Leonblack claim newage is a Jamati or BNP's mouth piece now?
Shouldn't we follow the truth and justice even if it comes from enemy camp or demonstrate outright rejecting mentality without weighing the merrit of the news?

Well, you would not see leon now. He or she is thinking alone about next cover up excuse.

Here Awami game plan is that their leadership will say sweet and soothing word in press BUT continue engaging and employing their party goons to run 70's style atrocities, extortion, looting and killing....

Just like they did from 1972-1975.

Will Mr. Leonblack claim newage is a Jamati or BNP's mouth piece now?
Shouldn't we follow the truth and justice even if it comes from enemy camp or demonstrate outright rejecting mentality without weighing the merrit of the news?

No Mr.Saint.

When you are giving link you should be giving something which is acceptable.
For example,The Daily star and Prothom Alo will talk about AL in the same manner Amar desh and Noya digonto will for BNP.

For these sensitive issues we should not only follow sources from the "enemy" source.

We all know AL is no saint.We know what Jainal hajari and others did when they were in power.In fact none of the political parties are CLEAN.And these violence are the burning examples of it.It is like a cycle,a vicious cycle.Now don't tell me BNP chatro dol and shibir did nothing.They are all of the same category.

It is true I supported AL this time.Like many BD people cast their vote to boat for a change,as Mr.Munshi have already mentioned.But if they can't deliver the goods they promised they will be kicked out of the power in the same manner as BNP was this time.So we need to give AL some time to see can they really fulfill their promises.

BNP on its own has good party ideals and are not extremists.Their nationalistic ideals are certainly appealing.BNP would have gotten more seats if they would have run for election alone.BNP's main failure,apart from corruption was price of commodities and electricity problem.These two things are evident and no one can deny that.As for Jamat,I have one sentence only.Hizbut Tahrir is better than Jamat.At least they don't talk about democracy and Islam at the same time.HT is stuck to their principle no matter what their condition is.

An example:
In Islam it is said women should not be the head of the state.Jamat talks of Islami shariah and yet they allied to rule under a woman.Isn't it against sharia??Correct me if I am wrong as my knowledge on Shariah is limited.

Well, you would not see leon now. He or she is thinking alone about next cover up excuse.

Here Awami game plan is that their leadership will say sweet and soothing word in press BUT continue engaging and employing their party goons to run 70's style atrocities, extortion, looting and killing....

Just like they did from 1972-1975.

Just because I was not online that does not mean I was trying to cover up anything.I have other works apart from sitting here.
If you would be in my place I would not say such things because I know people just can't sit in front of PC all the time.It is natural.But you seem to be thinking everything out of the ordinary.You really like to twist simple things,don't you????

Just because I was not online that does not mean I was trying to cover up anything.I have other works apart from sitting here.
If you would be in my place I would not say such things because I know people just can't sit in front of PC all the time.It is natural.But you seem to be thinking everything out of the ordinary.You really like to twist simple things,don't you????

Now that we heard you ranting, lets hear your execuse on Amardesh. You dont have a case against Amardesh being BNP leaning media, as its report of awami atrocities, looting and killing had been vindicated by all other media.

Now that we heard you ranting, lets hear your execuse on Awami league atrocities, looting and killing across the country. You dont have a case against Amardesh being BNP leaning media, as its report had been vindicated by all other media.

Please kindly read the posts before writing anything new.Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom