What's new

New poll finds majority of Americans think torture was justified after 9/11 attacks

northeast

Reaction score
Country
China
A majority of Americans think that the harsh interrogation techniques used on terrorism suspects after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks were justified, even as about half of the public says the treatment amounted to torture, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

By a margin of almost 2 to 1 — 59 percent to 31 percent — those interviewed said that they support the CIA’s brutal methods, with the vast majority of supporters saying that they produced valuable intelligence.

In general, 58 percent say the torture of suspected terrorists can be justified “often” or “sometimes.”

The new poll comes on the heels of the scathing Senate Intelligence Committee investigation into the CIA’s detention and interrogation program, which President Obama ended in 2009. The report last week concluded that severe interrogation techniques — including waterboarding detainees, placing them in stress positions and keeping them inside confinement boxes — were not an effective means of acquiring intelligence.

The report also found that more than two dozen detainees were wrongly held, that the program was poorly managed and that the CIA misled top U.S. officials about the effectiveness of the program.

VIEW GRAPHIC
CIA Interrogations: the ends justify the means
Fifty-four percent of the public agrees with this sentiment, saying the CIA intentionally misled the White House, Congress and the American people about its activities.

The CIA and former intelligence officials have strongly disputed that assertion. Director John Brennan, while acknowledging the spy agency made mistakes, also disputed the Senate’s finding that detainees subjected to “enhanced interrogation techniques,” or EITs, did not provide useful intelligence information.

“For someone to say that there was no intelligence of value, of use, that came from those detainees once they were subjected to EITs, I think that is — lacks any foundation at all,” Brennan said last week during a rare news conference at the CIA.

He added, though, that “the cause-and-effect relationship” between the use of harsh techniques and useful information subsequently provided by detainees was “unknowable.”

Fifty-three percent of Americans say the CIA’s harsh interrogation of suspected terrorists produced important information that could not have been obtained any other way, while 31 percent say it did not. Among those who were unconvinced was Lori Skeen, 56, of Covington, Ky., who said she opposed torture on principle.

Holy shit!59% of American is as evil as their government.But they look good in their unbiased media.What their unbiased media have said made me think all american are against this kind of brutality.

sorry,please moveit to world affair sector

sometimes you gotta cross the line.
i do feel sorry for people who have suffered by torture who were truly innocent of any wrongdoing.

not a single of our hands are clean in this world. no professes the U.S,it's leader, and people are saints .

The very mild, non-permanent infliction of pain or fear on captured enemy combatants was proportionate and justified. Who are totally wrong are the Democrat US Senators who have published an anti-American diatribe about these necessary intelligence activities. Diane Feinstein and her collaborators in the US Senate and media are traitors to their nation.

The very mild, non-permanent infliction of pain or fear on captured enemy combatants was proportionate and justified. Who are totally wrong are the Democrat US Senators who have published an anti-American diatribe about these necessary intelligence activities. Diane Feinstein and her collaborators in the US Senate and media are traitors to their nation.
Torture of prisoners(as your CIA loves to do ) is war-crime.
Medical experiments on prisoners(as your CIA loves to do) is war-crime.
But you have (as majority of your country men) no problems at all.So unsurprisng ...

Americans definitely needs Jesus, they must repent.

How is that any better than what he said?
I have no problem with anyone believing the US to be an evil country. The more of them believe so, the mo' bettah for US in the long run.

But the report also point out that torture do not work, meaning whatever *** feeding US did was all for nothing, so where does that leave you lot whom support this? At such a disgrace of your country's reputation and the aid of the terrorists, can't you see it only does harm to your country? You have become the very same kind of people who committed 911, people who knows no compassion, knows no value of other human lives. Yet you lot still have the balls to defend these war crimes, seriously, have you no shame? Oh sorry I have asked, it's the US.

They already have Jesus, maybe it IS you who need it.

Besides, terrorists don't deserve humane treatment.
First of all Jesus isn't American, that's a personal issue. Second, I hope you realize the difference between suspect, perpetrator and convict.

First of all Jesus isn't American, that's a personal issue. Second, I hope you realize the difference between suspect, perpetrator and convict.

Well, someone already dropped Jesus on this topic and yes, I am aware Jesus is not American but I remember that there are still Conservative Americans in USA.

The moment you made an intention in bringing harm upon others, you are on the path of becoming a terrorist, so yes I am aware of difference. Unfortunately, there are people who are adamant on their intention of wreaking havoc upon society no matter how reasonable you approach such people

Back
Top Bottom