What's new

New PAF Base under construction

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Dear colleagues,
Is there any truth to the captioned subject. it is said that the new F-16s block 50/52s will be stationed at this base!!!

Dear colleagues,
Is there any truth to the captioned subject. it is said that the new F-16s block 50/52s will be stationed at this base!!!

Yes this is true. There will be a new base constructed to house the Blk52s. I am not sure but I suspect Samungli AB in Baluchistan will be getting a sister base in the same province for these aircraft.

Can some one please provide details or link. A new air base incorporating all the modern capabilities is urgently needed especially in Balochistan.

Balochistan is a good location for the Blk 52's. That way coverage can be provided to both the north and the south.

I suppose it would be some where near Nawabshah.

But then there were talk of shifting Masroor Base to or near Nawabshah, but somehow owing to cost factor etc it seems that for the time being it was postponed.

I don't think Balochistan would be appropriate for stationing F-16 Block 52 for obvious reasons. Our main target in any would-be eventuality would be India and not Iran or Afghanistan.

So how long will it take for an F-16 from baluchistan to operate in case of a conflict with India?

1. apparantly Jacobabad is being either expanded or a new base being constructed for the new F-16 sqdns.
2. masroor is also being expanded to house additional C-130s as chaklala is full-up
3, AEW&S would be based probably in different bases.

I suppose it would be some where near Nawabshah.

But then there were talk of shifting Masroor Base to or near Nawabshah, but somehow owing to cost factor etc it seems that for the time being it was postponed.

I don't think Balochistan would be appropriate for stationing F-16 Block 52 for obvious reasons. Our main target in any would-be eventuality would be India and not Iran or Afghanistan.

The idea is not to target and threaten Iran or Afghanistan, rather to keep assets away from the eastern borders. The blk52s have CFTs and these would easily allow the aircraft to fly CAPs and other profiles flying out of an airbase in Baluchistan. As it is, Mushaf AB is very close to the border and our current F-16 sqns operate out of it. The land and the need to expand exists in Baluchistan. I suspect that along with the blk-52, we may even have an instrumentation range (similar to Konya in Turkey running AE ex) in Baluchistan....essentially move CCS out of Sargodha and have them run this enhanced weapons school...although it seems that currently this is being done at Mushaf.

F16's will be based in Baluchistan as forced by US contract. AWACS need optimized storage so they will not be based far from Islamabad or other major base. There is no need to put AWACS as far as possible cause they will fly 24/7 and need to cover as much as possible enemy airspace...

Munir,

Could you please elaborate the 'forced by US contract' part? I've heard the rumors that instead of bugging the goods US wants a permanent manned post at the AFB where new F-16C/D will be based. We've had US presence at Sargodha AFB, but this seems to be more like an operational unit. :confused:

Munir,

Could you please elaborate the 'forced by US contract' part? I've heard the rumors that instead of bugging the goods US wants a permanent manned post at the AFB where new F-16C/D will be based. We've had US presence at Sargodha AFB, but this seems to be more like an operational unit. :confused:

He is alluding to the stipulation by the US to not base the blk52s along with other Chinese aircraft. I think its pushing PAF to expand westward which is a good thing. Either way as per PAF, they do not see any issues with this.

He is alluding to the stipulation by the US to not base the blk52s along with other Chinese aircraft. I think its pushing PAF to expand westward which is a good thing. Either way as per PAF, they do not see any issues with this.

correct. Thanks Blain.

It is indeed a way to decrease the chance that Chinese engineers can share some time to look at block 52. And indeed it might have been a point for the Indians to swallow the deal.

I think we should see this selling to Pakistan in a different perspective. They can control the southern oil rich area near Iran cause they will visit the baser as often as needed. And we all know how often unmarked CIA planes are traveling around the globe... And US wil surely go for a base to control Iran, Afghanistan and oil fields and transport routes.

But the more important fact is that by selling this plane they wil gain more control in PAF... Pilots need training and by selling planes and training pilots they will get options to use those pilots if needed... By getting the hands on the best PAF pilots it is a easy way to control PAF.

Besides that we see that China and Russia are developing rapidly and Pakistan get planes from France/China and other nations (like Sweden) so besides they are devloping JF17 they are no longer the beggers of the past... The only reason PAF got AMRAAM was that SD10 was available... Nothing else.

I do see Pakistan getting more Russian parts in the future... Just a matter of a few years.

Back
Top Bottom