What's new

Nat Geo’s Mission Army inspires their career choice

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
They had made it to Mission Army —Desh Ke Rakshak, a programme on National Geographic that seeks to unveil facets of the Indian Army — from as many as 30,000 entries from across the nation. The three city-based youngsters, Priyanka Oswal, Ela Vohra and Rohan Takalkar, are among the five contestants.

“My father Colonel A K Vohra has always been a source of inspiration. As a college student, I have always been associated with sports and adventure; that was one reason I thought of applying for Mission Army. Everyone thinks we know the Army, but in reality none has an idea about various wings of the Army. Through my experience with the programme, I can say that being in the Armed Forces is much more than a career. It is about passion and dreams; and that is what we have tried to portray in the programme,” says Ela, 23, a software engineer with IBM.

The high point for her came during the shooting schedule, when she received a call from the Service Selection Board to join the Indian Army. She will join the Officer’s Training Academy, Chennai on April 7. Mission Army was conceptualised in June last year and followed by a series of presentations and clearances from the Ministry of Defence as well as the Army Chief. The entries were called for in October. For the selections, the aspirants were made to go through gruelling, ‘Army-like’ procedures testing fitness, mental and intellectual capabilities.

The selected were taken to various schools of the Army during the shooting schedule from December 5 to January 8. “From Commando Training School in Belgaum to Armoured Corps in Ahmednagar or the Corps Battle School in Khrew, where they got an insight into counter insurgency operations, a widespread canvas of the Army life was made open to them. They sat in a Chetak helicopter at the Combat Army Aviation Training School (CATS), Nashik and flew the Cheetah in a simulator,” said Ramon Chibb, VP Content, National Geographic.

Oswal, 19, second-year BSc student of Garware College and the youngest of the five contestants, just can’t forget her experience at the Armoured Corps School. “I fired a T 90 tank, which was an experience I will cherish all my life. Besides, the para regiment where we did solo jumps from the plane; the experience changed my perspective towards the Army. Earlier, it was only Air Force I aspired to belong to, but now I have an option; Army career seems equally interesting for women too.”

Takalkar 24, BCom graduate from BMCC, adds, “I had applied for the SSB entrance earlier, but after seeing the adventurous life of an officer though Mission Army, I am convinced beyond doubt that joining the Army is my only goal.”

The winner will get a chance to be part of an Indian Army training mission abroad.

Nat Geo’s Mission Army inspires their career choice

The winner will get a chance to be part of an Indian Army training mission abroad.

What does this mean? IA training abroad? Will they actually be a member of the IA or just a spectator?

^^^
I don't have any more knowledge as you have. I readd the article, i like it so i posted it. But yeah i would like if anybody else will answer your questions as i also have the same questions.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom