What's new

Must Read For Indian & Chinese Members True History of Bodhidharma Life

Bodhidarma is a monk from Kerala who traveled to China to spread Buddhism :cheers:

I thought he was a prince from Kanchi :what: you do provide a different version. But of course, with each reply, everyone giving a separate source of his origin. I shall also provide one.

Damo was from Pakistan :D

I don't know much about Hinduism except for some books I have read about Himalaya.

Buddhism rejects the idea of "soul" which makes it very different from Hinduism.

I never denied what ancient India achieved but I do not think Buddhism can fall under the category of "religion". Also just because Buddhism reached East Asia from India it does not mean that the version of Buddhism in India and versions of Buddhism in East Asia are the same. Buddhism changes its form as it reaches from country to another. It adopts into foreign cultures easily.

Buddhism is a religion and a way of life, this is a Dharmic religion and is not based on any books.

There will always be variations in any religion and some practices through out the world and Buddhism is no exception.

Similarities:

Hinduism and Buddhism share some of the following similarities.

1) Both Hinduism and Buddhism emphasize the illusory nature of the world and the role of karma in keeping men bound to this world and the cycle of births and deaths.

2) According to the Buddha, desire is the root cause of suffering and removal of desire results in the cessation of suffering. Some of the Hindu texts such as the Upanishads (Isa) and the Bhagavadgita consider doing actions prompted by desire an attachment would lead to bondage and suffering and that performing actions without desiring the fruit of action would result in liberation.

3) Both religions believe in the concept of karma, transmigration of souls and the cycle of births and deaths for each soul.

4) Both emphasize compassion and non violence towards all living beings.

5) Both believe in the existence of several hells and heavens or higher and lower worlds.

6) Both believe in the existence of gods or deities on different planes.

7) Both believe in certain spiritual practices like meditation, concentration, cultivation of certain bhavas or states of mind.

8) Both believe in detachment, renunciation of worldly life as a precondition to enter to spiritual life. Both consider desire as the chief cause of suffering.

9) The Advaita philosophy of Hinduism is closer to Buddhism in many respects.

10) Buddhism and Hinduism have their own versions of Tantra.

11) Both originated and evolved on the Indian soil. The founder of Buddhism was a Hindu who became the Buddha. Buddhism is the greatest gift of India to mankind.

B) Differences:

Following are some of the differences in the principles and practice of these two religions.

1) Hinduism is not founded by any particular prophet. Buddhism was founded by the Buddha.

2) Hinduism believes in the efficacy and supremacy of the Vedas. The Buddhist do not believe in the Vedas or for that matter any Hindu scripture.

3) Buddhism does not believe in the existence of souls as well in the first cause, whom we generally call God. Hinduism believe in the existence of Atman , that is the individual soul and Brahman, the Supreme Creator.

4) Hinduism accepts the Buddha as an incarnation of Mahavishnu, one of the gods of Hindu trinity. The Buddhist do not accept any Hindu god either as equivalent or superior to the Buddha.

5) The original Buddhism as taught by the Buddha is known as Theravada Buddhism or Hinayana Buddhism. Followers of this do not worship images of the Buddha nor believe in the Bodhisattvas. The Mahayana sect considers the Buddha as the Supreme Soul or the Highest Being, akin to the Brahman of Hinduism and worship him in the form of images and icons.

6) The Buddhists consider the world to be full of sorrow and regard ending the sorrow as the chief aim of human life. The Hindus consider that there are four chief aims (arthas) in life which every being should pursue. They are dharma (religious duty), artha (wealth or material possessions), kama (desires and passions) and moksha (salvation.)

7) Hindus also believe in the four ashramas or stages in life. This is not followed in Buddhism. People can join the Order any time depending upon their spiritual preparedness.

8) Buddhists organize themselves into a monastic Order (Sangha) and the monks live in groups. Hinduism is basically a religion of the individual.

9) Buddhism believes in the concept of Bodhisattvas. Hinduism does not believe in it.

10) Buddhism acknowledge the existence of some gods and goddesses of Hindu pantheon, but give them a rather subordinate status.

11) Refuge in the Buddha, the Sangha and Dhamma are the three cardinal requirements on the eightfold path. Hinduism offers many choices to its followers on the path of self-realization.

12) Although both religions believe in karma and rebirth, they differ in the manner in which they operate and impact the existence of individual beings.

Ok dumb.I am an Indian .I know India's history and kingdoms that rule Indian more than you.
Dont argue with an Indian if you dont have strong basics in Indian history.

To tell you one small example. A king is a generally considered as a Kshyatriya or a warrior, and he is obliged to fight another KING. That another king can be a brahmin, or a low caste. If one becomes king, he automatically takes up the role of a kshyatriya in addition to his original background.

There had been bloody divide and fought after budism was born. Your interests in both Zen and Thai budism demonstrate that you know as little difference about budism as indian hindus.

Budism in China is not at all associated with Martial Arts but many monks like that
I was born in the country where oldest continuous Buddhist civilization exists so I know the differences between Zen and Thai Buddhism. I just like to take anything good from anything I see regardless of the conditions.:D

I thought he was a prince from Kanchi :what: you do provide a different version. But of course, with each reply, everyone giving a separate source of his origin. I shall also provide one.

Damo was from Pakistan :D

There are various references ..... :cheers:

Various possible birthplaces for Bodhidharma are mentioned in a variety of sources. They come down to either South India or Central Asia.

South Indian possibilities are:

1. A "persistent tradition"[1] sees Bodhidharma as "the third son of a Pallavine king from Kanchipuram",[1] in Kanchipuram district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, South-South East India.
  2. Another Indian traditions describes him as being born in the city Muziris, municipality Kodungallur, state of Kerala, South-South West India.
  3. A third Indian possibility is Kochi. Kochi is part of the Ernakulam district in the state of Kerala, South-South West India.
  4. A fourth Indian Possibility is Nagarjunakonda.
  5. Sri Lanka is also mentioned as a possible birthplace.

Bloody indians don't even know the histories of Budism and Hinduism? Funny...

Every now and then a butt hurt troll comes into India related threads to vent their frustration because of their master CCP .... please ignore this troll guy he is burning temperature is increasing with our post count in this thread ..... :lol:

Mods don't care since this is India related and Chinese are free troll.

Last edited:
1, Budism was born before Hindu religion
Get back to yr cows, hindus! Nobody in Budism don't enjoy beef...
If you did mean no Buddhist enjoys beef, then there are thousands of Buddhist Tibetans in Kushalnagar, India, who makes ONLY and I mean ONLY Beef Jiao Zi (MOMO).

A question for the Chinese members. Is Buddhism closely associated with Martial Arts there?

No, martial arts spread across China before Buddhism came. Kung Fu didn't originate from Taoist priest either. Read the works of Tang Hao, Kenji Tokitsu or Matsuda Ryuchi.

Wuxia novel and movies are based on legends.

Last edited:
According to ancient records, I think we can all agree Bodhidharma was the founder of Ch'an. Since then, Ch'an had evolved into a more subtle form, influenced by the Chinese own philosophy.

I was born in the country where oldest continuous Buddhist civilization exists so I know the differences between Zen and Thai Buddhism. I just like to take anything good from anything I see regardless of the conditions.:D

First Chinese to write about Budism was a monk who travelled to present day Sri Lanka almost 2000 years ago.
Being the oldest doesn't mean that you know everything. Thai budism and Zen budism are irrelivant...

According to ancient records, I think we can all agree Bodhidharma was the founder of Ch'an. Since then, Ch'an had evolved into a more subtle form, influenced by the Chinese own philosophy.

Ch'an or Zen was founded by the 6th generation of Dhama believers

I have great respect for Buddhism,,,,it is arguably the most peace loving religion of all....
@Oscar
religious thread

Back
Top Bottom