What's new

Military & Computer Science

Azizam

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Does anyone working for military in computer science field?
How do exactly military and computer science mix?
I am still 18 years old and eager to find out information regarding this topic.

Does anyone working for military in computer science field?
How do exactly military and computer science mix?
I am still 18 years old and eager to find out information regarding this topic.

Used to work for HAL India long back when there were developing ALH(Advanced Light Helicopter) which is called Dhruv now. Setup their test data capture system/reporting system in Unix and Oracle DB as the database where one store the daily data. There was no different technologists for different layers then - i.e no systems administrator, database administrator, developer for ETL and reporting - about 6 of us as Service Engineers fresh out of our University Masters Degree program were recruited and we used to be everything - System admin, DBA, developer etc. Very good experience for me as I got to learn the end to end of database system, data architecture, little bit of datawarehousing which defined my career and made me versatile and helped me skip being a developer my entire life.

Used to work for HAL India long back when there were developing ALH(Advanced Light Helicopter) which is called Dhruv now. Setup their test data capture system/reporting system in Unix and Oracle DB as the database where one store the daily data. There was no different technologists for different layers then - i.e no systems administrator, database administrator, developer for ETL and reporting - about 6 of us as Service Engineers fresh out of our University Masters Degree program were recruited and we used to be everything - System admin, DBA, developer etc. Very good experience for me as I got to learn the end to end of database system, data architecture, little bit of datawarehousing which defined my career and made me versatile and helped me skip being a developer my entire life.

I have this notion that all defence labs in india are like sarkari daftar... no work, just gossip and run home as soon as clock hits 5:30...
how accurate is it? :azn:

I try to join the Army under Computer Science program, and they say no........Too many people are doing it these day, and I have to change my field of study from Computer Science to International Politic if I want them to pay for my University lol

I have this notion that all defence labs in india are like sarkari daftar... no work, just gossip and run home as soon as clock hits 5:30...

that's how the Swiss does things with their military.....

They will only maintain a fully staff, ready to launch plane until 5:30, Monday thru friday, then everybody went home...

Many used to leave by the evening but few would stay behind. Atleast among our group, we used to stay till 8 pm but we had our own incentive - the canteens used to serve good food at reduced price and all of us were bachelors - used to get dinners for 50 Paisa :lol:

But the complex is huge though not as large as Overhaul division or other HAL divisions it is hard to say but I am talking about my building.

What's your subject field?

I try to join the Army under Computer Science program, and they say no........Too many people are doing it these day, and I have to change my field of study from Computer Science to International Politic if I want them to pay for my University lol

Why international politics? how do they expect you to have subject knowledge in computer science if you study international politics?

Many used to leave by the evening but few would stay behind. Atleast among our group, we used to stay till 8 pm but we had our own incentive - the canteens used to serve good food at reduced price and all of us were bachelors - used to get dinners for 50 Paisa :lol:

But the complex is huge though not as large as Overhaul division or other HAL divisions it is hard to say but I am talking about my building.

lol... your effective productive time will be 4 hrs, and others 2 hrs per day..right? :chilli:

lol... your effective productive time will be 4 hrs, and others 2 hrs per day..right? :chilli:

Nope - we were fresh out of college and passionate as we had a choice to join companies like Tata Unisys where they were paying well but instead took up this job as we liked the unique opportunity. So we used to work for more than 11 hours.

What's your subject field?

Why international politics? how do they expect you to have subject knowledge in computer science if you study international politics?

That is because I entered Military Service as a General Officer, not an IT expert.... So they told me if I keep on studying the Computer Science, they will not pay for my degree. Got not choice but to change

Back
Top Bottom