What's new

MiG-29 aircraft upgrade deal with Russia

BATMAN

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India signs MiG-29 aircraft upgrade deal with Russia

New Delhi - India has signed a 960-billion-dollar contract with Russia for the upgrade of five squadrons of MiG-29 fighter aircraft which were inducted into the Indian Air Force in the mid- 1980s, newspaper reports said Saturday.

The upgrade of the Russian-made aircraft, which form the backbone of the Indian Air Force (IAF), would extend their life from the current 25 to 40 years and turn them into all-weather multi-role jets, the Times of India newspaper reported, quoting an unnamed senior air force official.

Under the agreement signed between India's Defence Ministry and Russia's RAC MiG company, the first of the 69 MiG-29s with the air force would be upgraded in Russia, while the rest would be retrofitted at an IAF base in India, the official said.

The upgrade is expected to be completed within three years.

The upgrade would include multifunctional radar and a new weapon system.

'The package will include state-of the-art avionics and cockpit ergonomics as well as fuel capacity increase,' the official said. Some sub-systems would be sourced from Israel, he added.

The upgraded aircraft would carry sophisticated air-to-air missiles, air-to-ground missiles and smart aerial bombs.

RAC MiG would invest 30 per cent of the contract value in India by setting up consignment depots, service centres and simulator centres with training aids.

India's number of fighter squadrons, each of which has 12 to 18 aircraft, has fallen below 30 and strategic experts say this places it at a disadvantage if it has to engage on two fronts.

The IAF has identified a requirement of 44 squadrons to meet the contingency of a 'full conflict' with Pakistan and a 'dissuasive posture' against China, the Times of India reported.

A simultaneous conflict with Pakistan and China would require 55 squadrons.

The need to upgrade India's ageing fleet of MiGs as well as Jaguars and Mirage-2000s and induct new aircraft has assumed greater urgency with Pakistan readying to induct several F-16 aircraft from the United States and JF-17 fighters from China.

960 BILLION :woot:, No wonder why Russians are getting rich so fast.
From which date the countdown to three years will start?
Can this upgrade really increase the frame life from 25 to 40 years!

960 BILLION :woot:, No wonder why Russians are getting rich so fast.

This absolutely crazy, I think correction should be made here since it is $ 960 million.

From which date the countdown to three years will start?
Can this upgrade really increase the frame life from 25 to 40 years!

Definetly we Mig-21 can be pushed beyond its valid life so why not about Mig-29

KENT, no aircraft deal can be worth 960 billion, especially the MRCA.

In my previous response I had quoted Batman and insisted him to clarify his figure and then I respondet to next one, I think it should be more then enough to clarify your confusion.

Ok guys, lets stop harping about the typo. its obvious that the contract is for $960 MILLION

The IAF still has this mentality of quantity from the Cold War era. Its high time they realise that what we need are state-of-the-art aircraft more than run-of-the-mill aicraft. if our aircraft are of top notch quality, and have a high combat readiness, then we dont need 44 or 55 squadrons.

Ok guys, lets stop harping about the typo. its obvious that the contract is for $960 MILLION

The IAF still has this mentality of quantity from the Cold War era. Its high time they realise that what we need are state-of-the-art aircraft more than run-of-the-mill aicraft. if our aircraft are of top notch quality, and have a high combat readiness, then we dont need 44 or 55 squadrons.

No way, you claim hold untruthfulness.

Are you want to claim that Su-30MKI, Tejas etc that we are going to deploy in huge number are of low quality? I am not even taking into consideration MRCA and all other upgrades of Mirage and Mig-29, Jaguars, Mig-21,27 etc

No way, you claim hold untruthfulness.

Are you want to claim that Su-30MKI, Tejas etc that we are going to deploy in huge number are of low quality? I am not even taking into consideration MRCA and all other upgrades of Mirage and Mig-29, Jaguars, Mig-21,27 etc

no way i am saying they are low quality. when i spoke of IAFs mentality, i meant the fact that they are scared of depleting squadrons, despite increase in IAF's quality. if they had no 'quantity is quality' mentality, they wouldnt be scared of falling squadron numbers

no way i am saying they are low quality. when i spoke of IAFs mentality, i meant the fact that they are scared of depleting squadrons, despite increase in IAF's quality.

Since IAF have to face two enemy one is china and other is pakistan, becuase the country which has hostile relationship with both the neiabours then quantity becomes imperative during the wartime and deterrance.

if they had no 'quantity is quality' mentality, they wouldnt be scared of falling squadron numbers

Man, don't think we want to be like airforces of Isreal, Japan or Korean airforces who have compact and small air fleet, more so this country are acting as a puppet of US and we are not. But the thing is that we have more area and population to guard as compared to these airforces. On the top of that even if we manage to catch our desired fighter squadran strenght and have a fleet of thousand aircraft, still according to my understanding it nowhere nearer to be providing the assurance of our security. In any kind of contigencies we have to guard ourseleves on our own without depending on others since countries that I have mentioned above have the blessing of US.

Russia Gets Deal for India's $965M MiG-29 Upgrade
agence france-presse
Published: 10 Mar 09:19 EDT (05:19 GMT) Print | Email

NEW DELHI - India has awarded Russia a $965 million contract to upgrade its multirole MiG-29 warplanes, officials said March 10.

The two post-Cold War allies signed the deal March 8 to extend the life of India's fleet of 70 MiG-29 jets another 15 years from their current 25 years, an air force official said.

"The project entails two to three years and only six of them would be refitted in Russia while the work on the remaining squadrons would be carried out by them at Indian bases," he said, asking not to be named.

The pre-condition was a "precaution" against delays in the modernization of the MiG-29s, which are among the main combat planes in India's inventory.

"We learnt our lessons with the MiG-21 project," he added, alluding to years of delays in the promised upgrade by Russia of the jets, now labeled "flying coffins" and "widow-makers" because of frequent crashes due to engine failure.

Under the contract, Russia will re-arm the twin-engine MiG-29s with air-to-air missiles, modern bombs, increased fuel capacity and the latest avionics, the contract said.

The MiG-29 deal came after India resolved a protracted dispute with Russia last month on the sale of the Soviet-era carrier Admiral Gorshkov to the Indian navy.

Russian export firm Rosoboronexport in 2004 signed up to refurbish the 44,570-ton carrier for $970 million but last year demanded India pay an additional $1.2 billion.

The two sides buried the hatchet after India agreed to pay $900 million more for the 30-year-old carrier, which will now join the Indian navy in 2011.

The Gorshkov is set to fill a vacuum left by the scrapping in 1997 of India's first aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, which had been in service since 1961.

The Indian navy has only one operational aircraft carrier, the INS Viraat, which is set to be phased out in coming years.

Russia accounts for 70 percent of Indian arms supplies, but late deliveries and commercial disagreements have led New Delhi to use other suppliers such as Israel, Britain, France and the U.S.

Russia is in a race with western rivals for a $12 billion deal to sell 126 fighter jets, artillery worth $2 billion and 317 helicopters worth $1 billion to India.

U.S. and European military aircraft manufacturers have emerged as the forerunners to win the fighter deal, which will enable India to junk the crash-prone MiG-21.

Russia Gets Deal for India's $965M MiG-29 Upgrade - Defense News

63 Mig-29 aircraft to be upgraded
Press Trust of India / New Delhi April 21, 2008

Indian Air Force's 63 Mig-29 frontline fighter aircraft are being upgraded through a $964-million contract signed with its manufacturer RAC-MIG.

The upgradation of the fighters that will extend their life by 25 years would be completed by 2014, Defence Minister A K Antony told the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.

IAF had six squadrons of the air superority fighters but the Minister said that 13 Mig-29 had crashed since their induction in mid 1980s

How many MIG-29 is up for upgrade?? every report has a different no;)

63 Mig-29 aircraft to be upgraded
Press Trust of India / New Delhi April 21, 2008

Indian Air Force's 63 Mig-29 frontline fighter aircraft are being upgraded through a $964-million contract signed with its manufacturer RAC-MIG.

The upgradation of the fighters that will extend their life by 25 years would be completed by 2014, Defence Minister A K Antony told the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.

IAF had six squadrons of the air superority fighters but the Minister said that 13 Mig-29 had crashed since their induction in mid 1980s

How many MIG-29 is up for upgrade?? every report has a different no;)

All the airworthy mig 29s will be upgraded. It's not that much of a puzzle for you is it?

Yes it is! The quoted figure range from 90- 60:bunny:

Then I'm sorry for your lack of basic intellect. It seems India has been losing aircrafts from the Mig29 on account of attrition as recently as few months ago; after the upgrade negotiations started with Russia.

Feel free to use a calculator.

Back
Top Bottom