What's new

Massive ammunition depot fire in Maharashtra kill 20 Army personnel, 90 others injured

datalibdaz

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Locals said there was an explosion inside the depot around midnight.
At least 20 people were killed and 19 others were injured on Monday night after fire broke out at a military ammunition depot in Pulgaon in Maharashtra's Wardha district. Locals said there was an explosion inside the depot around midnight.

hospital-video-647x404_053116102950.jpg

The injured people are being treated in a nearby hospital.

Â
defaultauthor-img.gif

IndiaToday.in | Posted by Bijaya Kumar Das
New Delhi, May 31, 2016 | UPDATED 11:48 IST
Narendra Modi has asked Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to visit Maharashtra's Pulgaon to take stock of situation. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar will visit Pulgaon later today.
  • Modi on Tuesday expressed grief over the deaths caused by a fire at Central Ammunition Depot in Wardha in Maharashtra. "My thoughts are with the bereaved families. I pray that those who are injured recover quickly," Modi tweeted. "Have asked Manohar Parrikar to take stock of the situation," he said.
  • Congress president Sonia Gandhi has expressed shock and deep anguish at the reported death of jawans and officers in the fire at Central Ammunition Depot near Wardha.
  • The fire at the ammunition dump is reported to have spread after secondary explosions.
  • Three nearby villages have been evacuated. People from other villages are also being taken to a safe distance.
  • The casualty figure is expected to rise since several others have been injured critically in the accident.
  • Explosions could still be heard, almost eight hours after the fire broke out around 2 am today. Water to extinguish fire is being transported from the tankers of nearby villages.
  • Army says firefighters have controlled the massive blaze, but smaller fires and repeated explosions remain a concern.
  • One shed reportedly caught fire after the initial explosion. Army is not ruling out sabotage behind the tragedy.

Damn! Were SOPs not followed? Or was it due to the high temperatures recorded in Maharashtra of late?

Damn! Were SOPs not followed? Or was it due to the high temperatures recorded in Maharashtra of late?

It started at 1:30 AM. I don't think ambient temperature must have been issue at night. Probably mishandling or sabotage or electric short circuit .

Well the good news is that villagers of nearby villages have been asked to return back and RM +COAS' visit is scheduled at 2 PM so , I think situation has been largely brought down under control.

Preliminary reports say the incident happened due to mishandling of explosives and chemicals crates by DSC personnel when they were loading them on to trucks

Preliminary reports say the incident happened due to mishandling of explosives and chemicals crates by DSC personnel when they were loading them on to trucks

Now this will scare away lot of trolls.

Locals said there was an explosion inside the depot around midnight.
At least 20 people were killed and 19 others were injured on Monday night after fire broke out at a military ammunition depot in Pulgaon in Maharashtra's Wardha district. Locals said there was an explosion inside the depot around midnight.

hospital-video-647x404_053116102950.jpg

The injured people are being treated in a nearby hospital.

Â
defaultauthor-img.gif

IndiaToday.in | Posted by Bijaya Kumar Das
New Delhi, May 31, 2016 | UPDATED 11:48 IST
Narendra Modi has asked Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to visit Maharashtra's Pulgaon to take stock of situation. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar will visit Pulgaon later today.
  • Modi on Tuesday expressed grief over the deaths caused by a fire at Central Ammunition Depot in Wardha in Maharashtra. "My thoughts are with the bereaved families. I pray that those who are injured recover quickly," Modi tweeted. "Have asked Manohar Parrikar to take stock of the situation," he said.
  • Congress president Sonia Gandhi has expressed shock and deep anguish at the reported death of jawans and officers in the fire at Central Ammunition Depot near Wardha.
  • The fire at the ammunition dump is reported to have spread after secondary explosions.
  • Three nearby villages have been evacuated. People from other villages are also being taken to a safe distance.
  • The casualty figure is expected to rise since several others have been injured critically in the accident.
  • Explosions could still be heard, almost eight hours after the fire broke out around 2 am today. Water to extinguish fire is being transported from the tankers of nearby villages.
  • Army says firefighters have controlled the massive blaze, but smaller fires and repeated explosions remain a concern.
  • One shed reportedly caught fire after the initial explosion. Army is not ruling out sabotage behind the tragedy.
RIP

i hope no more people or jawan die. the point mentioned about sabotage why i m having a felling that blame is gonna turn from negligence to terrorism

Back
Top Bottom