What's new

Manmohan Singh blames US NGOs for anti-nuclear demonstrations

I believe the government has given the NGO's a chance to challenge that assertion. The government has cancelled the licenses of three NGO's who are accused of diverting funds to fuel the protests. If they want to/can, I believe the NGO's can knock on the court's doors & see how they fare against the governments "proof".

Kudankulam protests: 3 NGOs lose licence for diverting fund

The Union Home Ministry has cancelled the licences of three non-govermental organisations operating in southern Tamil Nadu on the charge that they diverted funds for the protests against the Kudankula Nuclear Power Plant.

The action follows Prime Minister Manmohan Singh‘s comments to Science magazine that suggested that US non-governmental organisations were behind the agitation, which has stalled work on the nuclear plant in power-starved Tamil Nadu. The first of the two 1000-MW reactors, being built with Russian help, was to have been decommissioned in December 2011, but work on the project has been suspended since August 2011 after the protests intesified.

Singh’s comments had whipped up a controversy, with the leader of the protest movement SP Udayakamar challenging the Prime Minister to prove his charge – or resign.

Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office V Narayanasamy on Friday confirmed the action against the three NGOs, but did not disclose their names. But earlier this month, Narayanasamy had alleged that NGOs administered by Tuticorin church leader, Bishop Yvon Ambroise, had received foreign funds to the tune of Rs 54 crore. Ambroise has been active in mobilising popular support for the anti-nuclear protests.

Narayanasamy also alleged then that a third NGO run by Udayakumar, who heads the People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy, had received Rs 1.5 crore in foreign funds. He had said then that if the NGOs were not shown to have maintained proper accounts for the expenditure on these amounts, the Home Ministry would initiate stringent action against them for violation of the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA).

The NGOs associated with Ambroise are the Tuticorin Diocese Association (TDA) and the Tuticorin Multipurpose Social Service Society (TMSSS). Indian Express reports that both these NGOs had FCRA clearance until last year, but their names have now been removed from the home ministry website listing over 42,000 NGOs having FCRA clearance.

The Home Ministry notes on its website that TMSSS received Rs 42 crore from abroad in the last five years (details here) for rural development work, and that TDA received Rs 23 crore.

Many other Christian organistions, including People’s Education for Action and Liberation (PEAL) and Good Vision, are also under the Home Ministry scanner for alleged funding of the anti-nuclear protest movement.

Udayakumar told CNN-IBN that his organisation had not received even a single rupee from abroad. “I am willing to undergo capital punishment if the allegation that I received foreign funding is proved,” he said.

Ok I read this earlier today, So where is the proof? So, without givin any solid proof, the gov;t revoked the licenses. Doesn;t that seem the least bit odd to you? I mean when a gov;t can do such action without presenting the facts, where is the law, the justice, the democracy? I guess the gov;t can do whatever it wants.

All MMS has to do is present the facts and the naysayers will be silenced right?

Anyway, here are some points read up:
As of October 2011, More than 120 Catholic fishermen in living around the Koodankulam nuclear plant in the southern Tamil Nadu state, blocked highways and staged hunger strikes, preventing further construction work, and demanding its closure siting fear of the disasters like the Environmental impact of nuclear power, Radioactive waste, nuclear accident similar to the radiation leak in March at Japan's Fukushima nuclear disaster.[17]
The protesters have clearly stated few specific reasons for opposing the Koodankulam NPP project.[18]

But I understand what Lynx
According to S P Udayakumar, of the voluntary People's Movement Against Nuclear Energy, "the nuclear plant is unsafe" and "the safety analysis report and the site evaluation study have not been made public. No public hearing was held. It's an authoritarian project that has been imposed on the people." Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha that "all precautions would be taken at the Koodankulam nuclear plant to maintain the highest safety standards".[19]
Gopal Gandhi, Grandson of Mahatma Gandhi, former West Bengal governor also said that "Indian Fukushima cannot be ruled out and government needs to convince people about safety aspects of the project" in a lecture on 'India 2021- Hazarding Guesses, Guessing Hazards' in New Delhi)[20]
A Public Interest Litigation (PIL) has also been filed against the government’s civil nuclear program at the apex Supreme Court. The PIL specifically asks for the "staying of all proposed nuclear power plants till satisfactory safety measures and cost-benefit analyses are completed by independent agencies".[21][22]
Renowned aeronautical scientist and former President of India A. P. J. Abdul Kalam after a personal visit to the plant said that Koodankulam Nuclear Plant is safe and the plant was essential for "power hungry" India.[23][24] However People's Movement Against Nuclear Energy leader Mr.Pushparayan recollected that Former Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission of India Dr Homi Sethna had suggested to A. P. J. Abdul Kalam in the past not to comment on nuclear engineering since he was a missile engineer.[25][26]
Regarding people's fears Former chairman of Atomic Energy Commission of India Srinivasan said that one should never compare the Fukushima plant with Kudankulam and added "The Fukushima plant was built on a beachfront, but the Kudankulam was constructed on a solid terrain and that too keeping all the safety aspects in mind. Also, we are not in a tsunami prone area. The plants in Kudankulam have a double contaminant system which can withstand high pressure. At least Rs 14,000 crore has been spent. If we don't operate the plant immediately, it will affect the economic stability of our country".[27]
A center panel constituted by the Government of India, which did a survey of the safety features in the plant, said the Koodankulam reactors are the safest and fears of the people are not based on scientific principles. Dr. Muthunayagam,panel's convener,also added that the protesters have asked for some documents which are not related to the safety of the reactor hence he suspects the very nature of their questions.[16]
In response to the center panel report, protesters wrote an open letter to the chief minister Jayalalithaa that the center panel's report is "ill-baked and incomplete eyewash report" and also said that the report has "ignored our question on liability, and has given no specific or scientific information on nuclear waste, and vague information on the fresh water needs of the KKNPP".

But I unerstand Neuro, Lynx, and Mukerjee are saying. India needs nuclear reactors and I agree. I just think its important to hear folks concerns and the gov;t should not run the country like tyrants. Present the facts and ppl cannot object. What are they hiding?

Offtopic:
Remember, our wonderful gov;t allowed endosulfan to be used while 66 countries banned its uses. 66 developed countries who have more money and resources.

I understand. I did not know the Hindu was used by the IAS to prepare. I trust Kalam and I have heard him vouch for the plant. MMS making the accustion of foreign funded NGO;s, I am asking where is the proof?

A particular distressing point is that the gov;t and politicans count on protesters to just get up and leave so they can continue on. That is an issue, because like you mentioned the average family cannot live more than 6 months without working. So, tht means the gov;t didnt answer the questions posed to them by these protesters all this time? Whats up with that? So, they have to protest 6 months and they still cannot get an answer. What would Gandhi do?

i know we need nuclear energy but this comes full circle to my previous arguement, what has happened to the Ana Hazare movement? The gov;t is doing the same tactics, by wasting time and not giving answers...

At the end of the day, Its up to you. Remember, those ppl are like you. They may be fishermen but they are human beings with families to look after. More importantly, they are your brothers. Remember that, if you don;t care about your own ppl, I ask who will?

The matter is dude, What will u do if they ask tough questions?
They are asking whether N weapons will be made at that plant, and the govt must show them all clauses of indi-russia nuclear deal with them??
So if are in govt position, will u share sensitive information with common people/?
I for one want to know how many N bombs india really have, but i cannot possibly must not know, cos if everyone gets to know everything, there will no security, and other foreign companies wont invest in india...
I view the energy security, defence security of our nation way above me..

As for proof indian govt will release it lately bacause it involves FOREIGN FUNDING...
TN govt havent even started taking action on bishops who have used church to propagate against the indian govt, though the centre have filed cases against them...
politics is playing a part here..................

Congress have proved again they are incapable of handling situations to their advantage... Of-course if PM has said in the public that there is some US hand in all this, he cannot just lie.. a matter of foreign diplomacy! Our govt did a lot to make the people understand as we have seen from many committees set up and group of scientists basically living out there to make people understand.... However, PM should have reined in the foul NGOs, kept the findings secret and discreetly should have confronted US with the findings.. the ball would have been in US court without the diplomatic fallout.. We need more energy and this is after all a clean energy, if done right...

Congress is a fool of a govt!

Congress have proved again they are incapable of handling situations to their advantage... Of-course if PM has said in the public that there is some US hand in all this, he cannot just lie.. a matter of foreign diplomacy! Our govt did a lot to make the people understand as we have seen from many committees set up and group of scientists basically living out there to make people understand.... However, PM should have reined in the foul NGOs, kept the findings secret and discreetly should have confronted US with the findings.. the ball would have been in US court without the diplomatic fallout.. We need more energy and this is after all a clean energy, if done right...

Congress is a fool of a govt!

US simply hands off things, these US based NGO was funded egypt moment......also...

It was time some of these NGO 's were reined really . Many of them even exaggerate poverty and other figures to serve their own little interests and so that they can demand more money for their funding by telling blatant lies as facts .

Unless the datas collected by these NGOs are not properly scrutinized... India will forever have more poor than the Sub Saharan Africa.

Err... what exactly is your point here? Nature is uncertain? So, what do you propose? To prepare for volcanic eruptions even if there is no active volcano on mainland India? You other point is simply a display of the cussedness that inhabits some who are quibbling over what sort of death is preferable. I'm sure you think that all victims of road accidents & their families would be delighted that they didn't die from a "somatic cell mutation" & instead died from something more mundane. I refrain from commenting on your schooling, common sense is not something that they can necessarily do anything about. "Blabbering" would be be a more apt description for the kind of post referred above.

Really?? what was all the babble about "somatic cell mutation" then? Maybe you were proudly informing us about your schooling & your knowledge of terms like "somatic cell mutation"? :lol: Bring your arguments here, if you can muster one up. Leave the certificate issuing at home.

Get life dear , somatic cell mutation applicable for damn chemical factories I stated it clear. This ans is for ur intellect offtopic post. I am supporting the nuclear plant that is ontopic. hw u comparing the both?? funny.

Tsunami in TN , earth quake taken place in Mizo and Tibet anything ringing????

Ok I read this earlier today, So where is the proof? So, without givin any solid proof, the gov;t revoked the licenses. Doesn;t that seem the least bit odd to you? I mean when a gov;t can do such action without presenting the facts, where is the law, the justice, the democracy? I guess the gov;t can do whatever it wants.

All MMS has to do is present the facts and the naysayers will be silenced right?

My point is that the government has acted thereby allowing the NGO's to take legal recourse if they so wish. Do you actually think that the PM of a country will be busy proving his statements to everyNGO. Since the government has acted legally ( which btw is the way all governments act the world over), the NGO's have a chance to refute it.

Offtopic:
Remember, our wonderful gov;t allowed endosulfan to be used while 66 countries banned its uses. 66 developed countries who have more money and resources.

While it is off topic, you make a very simple argument. Ban it because so many western countries ban it. What's the alternative? More expensive & less cost effective pesticides? Just because something is done in the west does not mean that it has to be blindly copied. Farmers in the west & India are not comparable. Here, failed yields will mean more suicides. There is no simple answer to these complicated scenarios.

Tamil nadu for the year 2010-2011 :

Toatal no. of Connection given to individual housing units : 148,00,000(approximate)

Total no. of connection given to farmers : 19,00,000(approximate)

Total no. of connection to traders : 28,00,000(approximate)

Total no. of connections to heavy industries : 5,00,000(approximate)

Total number of connections according to a top offical is close to 200 + lakhs using 60,000 + MILLION units of electricity – the demand for electricity in tamil nadu is increasing at the rate of neary 5.41% every year .

What tamil nadu has :

40 hydro power plants producing : 2,190 MW

Thermal power stations in thuthukkudi,north chennai,mettur,ennur producing : 2,970 MW

Other plants producing : 516 MW

Total : 5676 MW

But the the state has the capacity to produce 10,237 MW but it is only producing half that (one of the reasons for the powercuts). Now what the state does is they get some power form the center + wind mills+pvt operators totaling 8000MW(5676+2324) only against 11500 MW-so there is this deficit of more than 3000MW .
Kudamkulam nuke plant alone will give like 1000MW of power to the state when it becomes operational – looking at the current deficit that is no small number .

Only people who don’t want that to happen are enemies of development and the whole nation as simple as that .

Some One decade back, foreign Pharmaceutical companies hired the Animal Protection Right Groups to annoy or block research done by Indian Pharmaceutical Companies. I don't know if these foreign companies still playing their dirty games to annoy research in Indian Pharmaceutical sector.

One decade back we were ruled by the NDA... THAT's why it didn't do any damage to the country. Now we are being ruled by te c**t grass party. And the difference is there for all to see.. :coffee:

Get life dear , somatic cell mutation applicable for damn chemical factories I stated it clear. This ans is for ur intellect offtopic post. I am supporting the nuclear plant that is ontopic. hw u comparing the both?? funny.

Tsunami in TN , earth quake taken place in Mizo and Tibet anything ringing????

It was here in Sikkim actually and not Mizoram.

You need to really stop being paranoid of nuclear energy when entire world uses it 10 times more than we do. France has been using it since half a century and 70% of their total power. They are bordering oceans too... nothing happened to them. Why are we worrying?

The simple reason why Japanese always end up facing disasters is because of their unfortunate location which sits right on 5 tectonic plates of the earth---the most hostile position on earth anyone could imagine. India OTOH is not in such a situation.

I don't understand your opposition to nukes. There are thousands of safeguards that one follows. Japan being an island country and the disastrous location of that nuke plant in Fukushima is what caused that disaster to happen.

We have a lot of landmass deep inside TN or any other state.

Seriously man, relax.

I think all the Indian citizens who benefited from this [those who brought the money in to all those who even received Rs.10 even] should be treated as traitors. These idiotic NGOs are selling off their country and their own people for money or some idiotic ideology/self-proclaimed-moral-high-ground.
To all those proponents of green tech, I agree its a good move to invest in greener technology but look at our population, energy requirement, deficit in terms of required power at the moment and then look what the situation is going to be in the future. Also never will the green technology be able to meet the needs of even a small section of your population in the next 20 years. So my advice to you is get back into the real world and think practically.

All these environmentalists should first themselves stop depending on conventional energy completely and move to renewable ones for their own use and then preach others. Farmers today do not have enough electricity to meet the needs of irrigating their fields. We can't move to manufacturing based economy because of serious deficit in electricity supply and hence a major portion of our society lives in acute poverty. We can't develop infrastructure, as the basic requirement to carry out any major infra project - Electricity - is not available in plenty and at the required time frame.

So GREENIES, tell us how to solve these problems without putting in Nuclear power which provides cheap abundant power requiring least amount of land and other resources and we will support you cause.

The matter is dude, What will u do if they ask tough questions?
They are asking whether N weapons will be made at that plant, and the govt must show them all clauses of indi-russia nuclear deal with them??
So if are in govt position, will u share sensitive information with common people/?
I for one want to know how many N bombs india really have, but i cannot possibly must not know, cos if everyone gets to know everything, there will no security, and other foreign companies wont invest in india...

I view the energy security, defence security of our nation way above me..

As for proof indian govt will release it lately bacause it involves FOREIGN FUNDING...
TN govt havent even started taking action on bishops who have used church to propagate against the indian govt, though the centre have filed cases against them...
politics is playing a part here..................[/QUOTE

No doubt if such BS questions with no relevance to safety are asked then stern action should be taken...i agree with your post 100% if such is the case.

I think all the Indian citizens who benefited from this [those who brought the money in to all those who even received Rs.10 even] should be treated as traitors. These idiotic NGOs are selling off their country and their own people for money or some idiotic ideology/self-proclaimed-moral-high-ground.
To all those proponents of green tech, I agree its a good move to invest in greener technology but look at our population, energy requirement, deficit in terms of required power at the moment and then look what the situation is going to be in the future. Also never will the green technology be able to meet the needs of even a small section of your population in the next 20 years. So my advice to you is get back into the real world and think practically.

All these environmentalists should first themselves stop depending on conventional energy completely and move to renewable ones for their own use and then preach others. Farmers today do not have enough electricity to meet the needs of irrigating their fields. We can't move to manufacturing based economy because of serious deficit in electricity supply and hence a major portion of our society lives in acute poverty. We can't develop infrastructure, as the basic requirement to carry out any major infra project - Electricity - is not available in plenty and at the required time frame.

So GREENIES, tell us how to solve these problems without putting in Nuclear power which provides cheap abundant power requiring least amount of land and other resources and we will support you cause.

There is an urgent need for better practices. Nobody is saying get off Nuclear energy immediately only till we have found a suitble replacement. India needs another agricultural revolution. Farmers have been farming for 1000's yrs without electricity right but I understand the need. I think the key is better practices and wherever possible wind tunnels/solar should and can be used. Even proper techniques of water irrigation will use less amounts of water bu get better results, thus less demand for el electricity to water the crops...There is a way but we have blind politics not pushing forth such ideas...

We are quick to dismiss NGO's but certain ones that don;t interfere with politics disseminate a lot of useful information especially farmers.

Back
Top Bottom