What's new

Malala Yusufzai: Victim of Barbaric Terror and Dirty Politics

20121209_pkistan_800x600-18c7ihi.jpg

12-8-2012_78809_l.jpg

BBC News - Malala Yousafzai visited by Pakistan president

The article is little old but still a good read.

Malala Yousafzai drew a "red line"

Globe and Mail
Salma Ataullahjan
Dec 07 12

I recently met the parents of Malala Yousafzai in Birmingham, England. Malala, who should be learning and laughing and doing what teenaged girls do, is instead lying in a British hospital, recovering after being shot and wounded in Pakistan by the Taliban for advocating girls’ education.

Malala and I are both Yousafzai Pakhtun women, from the same town and the same clan. We are a generation and two continents apart, but the 15-year-old girl’s courage, determination and maturity has triggered hope and inspiration in me at a time when I felt that all was waning in the land of our birth, Pakistan.

When I was 15 in the historic city of Peshawar, in the province of Pakhtunkhwa, my sisters and cousins could never have imagined a day when simply going to school would jeopardize our lives. We were brimming with confidence and optimism. Girls and young women were emerging to take positions of responsibility in government, social development and politics. Our colleges and universities were centres of learning and debate. I studied at a convent run by Irish nuns, and we spoke English and wore Western-style uniforms.

Women felt safer in Pakhtunkhwa than anywhere else in Pakistan. Our people lived by the Pakhtunwali, a moral code that came into existence before Islam and that articulated the protection and honour of women and children. My family would travel to the Swat Valley, where we and many others kept summer homes to escape the heat. Swat was then a peaceful area, and women were well-respected.

The Cold War was in full swing, and across the border where our other Pakhtun cousins lived was Afghanistan. The people on both sides were one, but a colonial border had placed us in opposing camps.

Believe it or not, Afghanistan was a step ahead of us in embracing modernity and women’s rights. I remember travelling to Kabul through the Khyber Pass and seeing cafeterias and discos where American hippies and the local people would rub shoulders.

Then, in the late 1970s, three regimes changed and the world would never be the same. In Kabul, the pro-Soviet Afghan nationalists were overthrown by the Communists. In Islamabad, a U.S.-backed general overthrew the elected government of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. And in Tehran, a revolution saw Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomaini take power. By the time it was New Year’s Day 1980, my childhood optimism had come to a crashing halt. War, chaos and Islamic extremism slowly began its ascent, while women’s dignity, democracy and human rights went into a free fall.

Malala Yousafzai was not yet born. But by the time she would open her eyes, almost nothing that I, as a Yousafzai, had witnessed or hoped for would be there to welcome her.

Malala, however, could be the tipping point that will cause the pendulum to swing back to its centre. Millions around the world have risen to her call. Women and girls carry signs in the streets that claim “I am Malala.” In the words of her father, “Malala has drawn a red line between barbarism and civilization.”

It’s for this reason that I have signed a Canadian petition asking the Nobel Committee to award the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize to Malala Yousafzai, and I appeal to all Canadians to do the same.

I have not lost hope for Pakhtunkhwa or Pakistan. From my visits there, from seeing Malala and girls like Malala, I know the women have not lost their voice. They won’t let anyone take away what they have.

Salma Ataullahjan is a Conservative senator representing Ontario.

Using and Disposing Such Assets at the time to gain or seek National Interests U.S Leaves No Stones unturned Believe it or Not They don't care or compromise as far as you have your own eyes opened ,working for C.I.A or Working under the Shades of C.I.A as a Source Can Never be Safe to Any Nationality ...

:triniti:

Great honour: Malala nominated for Nobel Prize

By AFP
February 2, 2013

501615-MalalaYousafzaiphotofile-1359751849-320-640x480.JPG

OSLO:
Teenage education activist Malala Yousafzai has been nominated for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize.

This year’s award will be announced in early October, but speculation was already underway as the deadline for nominations ran out on February 1. Apart from the teenage icon, some Eastern-bloc activists are also nominated.

“A prize to Malala would not only be timely and fitting with a line of awards to champions of human rights and democracy, but also … would set both children and education on the peace and conflict agenda,” said the head of the Peace Research Institute of Oslo, Kristian Berg Harpviken. Others known to have been nominated are human rights activists whose names have been mentioned in previous years, including Belarussian human rights activist Ales Belyatski — currently behind bars — and Russia’s Lyudmila Alexeyeva.

Trying to predict who will win the Nobel Peace Prize is a difficult task, complicated by the fact that the list of nominees each year is kept secret for 50 years.

But thousands of people are eligible to nominate candidates — including former laureates, members of parliament and government around the world, some university professors, and members of certain international organisations — and they are allowed to reveal the names they have put forward.

As a result, it is known that French, Canadian and Norwegian parliament members have all separately nominated Malala.

Beliatsky’s and Alexeyeva’s names have meanwhile been put forward by two Norwegian lawmakers.

“They have both defied authoritarian state structures and the illegal and illegitimate abuse of power,” one of the two MPs, Jan Tore Sanner, said.

Pakistan's Malala back at school for first time

LONDON: Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai has returned to school for the first time since she was shot in the head by the Taliban in October for campaigning for girls' education.

The 15-year-old said she had "achieved her dream" and was looking forward to meeting new friends at the private Edgbaston High School for Girls in Birmingham, central England, where she is now living.

Malala was flown to Britain after the attack for surgery for her head injuries and underwent several operations as recently as last month.

mtmal2-20130320081015643938-620x349.jpg

"I am excited that today I have achieved my dream of going back to school," she said in a statement.

"I want all girls in the world to have this basic opportunity.

"I miss my classmates from Pakistan very much, but I am looking forward to meeting my teachers and making new friends here in Birmingham."

dh_malala-20130320072057634948-300x0.jpg

Pictures showed her going to school carrying a pink backpack and wearing a black headscarf over a green sweater.

She will be studying a full curriculum in preparation for selecting subjects for GCSEs, the exams English schoolchildren sit between the ages of 14 and 16.

Malala was shot at point-blank range by a Taliban gunman as her school bus travelled through northwest Pakistan's Swat Valley on October 9, in an attack that drew worldwide condemnation.

She has since become a global symbol of the campaign for girls' right to an education and has been nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

UN education envoy and former British prime minister Gordon Brown, who has backed Malala's cause, said it was a "great day".

"This is a great day for Malala, for her family - and for the cause of education worldwide," Mr Brown said in a statement.

"By her courage, Malala shows that nothing - not even bullets, intimidation or death threats - can stand in the way of the right of every girl to an education.

"I wish Malala and her family well as her courageous recovery continues."

Malala was discharged from hospital in early February after surgery to fit a custom-made piece of titanium to her skull and an electronic implant to help restore hearing to her left ear.

Her father Ziauddin Yousafzai is serving as Mr Brown's special adviser on education and her family have temporarily moved to Birmingham, a city with a large Pakistani population.

AFP

Malala makes it to Time's 100 Most Influential People list

The Express Tribune
April 18, 2013

537261-malalatimecover-1366293423-328-640x480.jpg

Malala Yousafzai was the only Pakistani who made it to the annual list of 100 Most Influential People in the World released by Time Magazine on Thursday.

Malala came under international spotlight after Taliban attacked her in Swat for campaigning for girls’ education. She received a bullet injury to her head but successfully recovered after undergoing a surgery in Britain.

“The Taliban almost made Malala a martyr; they succeeded in making her a symbol,” said the Time 100 website.

“The memoir she is writing to raise awareness about the 61 million children around the world who are not in school indicates she accepts that unasked-for responsibility as a synonym for courage and a champion for girls everywhere. However Malala concludes her book, her story so far is only just beginning,” it added.

Malala was named under the “Icons” category of the list, with other renowned personalities including Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton, US first lady Michelle Obama, singer Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake.

The “Leaders” category included US President Barack Obama, US Senator Rand Paul, Director Central Intelligence Agency John Brennan, North Korea’s Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un and Pope Francis.

Singer Christina Aguilera, director Steven Spielberg and talk-show host Jimmy Kimmel came under the “Artists” category, while Bollywood actor Aamir Khan and satirist Bassem Youssef were named “Pioneers”.

Malala was shot by Taliban which is a creation of the ISI and Pak army....Terror organization created by Terror institutions...so what else can u expect from Taliban

no the TTP guys were either unborn or still pissing in their undies as toddlers when the Afghan taleban were formed and were a group; Taleban are an Afghan phenomenon - we diplomatically supported/recognized them.

not to say Afghan taleban werent guilty of a similar crimes in the past during their regime

no the TTP guys were either unborn or still pissing in their undies as toddlers when the Afghan taleban were formed and were a group; Taleban are an Afghan phenomenon - we diplomatically supported/recognized them.

not to say Afghan taleban werent guilty of a similar crimes in the past during their regime
Every military is involved in war crimes , Not to mention how much our own hands are dirty from innocent's blood and Top of that we still supports our defenders , ideologists . Similarly Afghans and Tribals support their militias and theocrats .
But today this war have done the damaged , We cannot call ourselves a nation , not anymore . . and as longer this battle continues our nationalism will keeps on damaging cuz lots of civilians are killed in other form of terrorism but establisment have always given priority to this conflict .

the soviets and unfortunately NATO as well made mistakes of messing with the equilibrium and power dynamics in the region - especially Afghanistan

if this was about eradicating al qaeda-inspired jihadism then invading Afghanistan was completely counter-productive and that is being demonstrated today - as they have no exit plan except to hold talks with the people they say were/are harboring the AQ

conflicting statements and strategies from different ministries causes confusions

Malala denounces cowardly Pakistan attack

malala-wide-620x349.jpg

London: Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani schoolgirl shot by the Taliban for promoting girls' education, has denounced an attack on a bus carrying female students in Quetta as "cowardly".

At least 25 people were killed on Saturday when militants blew up the bus in the capital of restive Baluchistan province and then stormed a hospital where survivors had been taken for treatment.

"This was a cowardly and desperate attempt to deny girls their right to education," Malala, 15, said in a statement on Monday.

Former British prime minister Gordon Brown, the United Nations special envoy for global education, said it was the "bloodiest atrocity yet in escalating violence against female students".

Malala was shot at point-blank range by a Taliban gunman as her school bus travelled through northwest Pakistan's Swat Valley on October 9 last year, in an attack that drew worldwide condemnation.

She was flown to Britain for surgery on her head injuries and returned to school in Birmingham, central England, in March.

Malala has become a global symbol of the campaign for the right of girls to an education and has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

AFP

Back
Top Bottom