What's new

Madhu Lal Husain's Urs Celeberation in Lahore

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The nights are long without my beloved.
Shah Husain

Devotees of the sixteenth century Muslim Sufi Saint Shah Husain believe he was in love with Madhu Lal, a Hindu Brahmin man. The two men, whose attraction to each other may well have been platonic, are buried next to each other in a famous Lahore shrine where there is an annual three-day celebration by hundreds of thousands of followers of the famous mystic.

Called Mela Chiraghan or the Festival of Lights, the three-day celebration of Madhu Lal Hussain started today in Baghbanpura Lahore. The event's name comes from a large fire, alao, at the shrine where people throw candles, oils and terra-cotta lamps (chiragh) after making wishes, according to a report in The Express Tribune. The fire remains lit for the entire duration of the urs.

Reporting on the same-sex relationship of Madu Lal and Shah Husain, NPR's The World quoted Prof Taymiya R. Zaman of University of San Francisco as saying: " You can't look at something that already existed and there is a shrine devoted to it and say it was unacceptable ".

Anyone who's spent time in Pakistan knows that lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders (LGBT) exist in the county, though this fact is not openly acknowledged or discussed for fear of backlash from conservatives. This has begun to change, however, with recent Supreme Court decisions acknowledging the rights of transgender community as equal citizens under Pakistan's constitution. The nation's highest court has ordered the Election Commission of Pakistan to ensure that transgenders are registered as voters and be allowed to contest for parliament in the upcoming elections.

Other than transgenders who are in the open, there are groups of gays and lesbians who meet secretly, according to the New York Times. There is no active state-sponsored witch-hunt of such groups in Pakistan. Their situation is more akin to the US military's don't ask, don't tell policy which began in the Clinton Administration and remained in force until recently.

Pakistan is in the midst of big social change internally. But, as the New York Times reported recently, anny attempt by outsiders to influence it invites a severe backlash. Here's an excerpt of the New York Times story:

That clash of ideologies was evident last year on June 26, when the American Embassy in Islamabad held its first lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender pride celebration. The display of support for gay rights prompted a backlash, setting off demonstrations in Karachi and Lahore, and protesters clashing with the police outside the diplomatic enclave in Islamabad. This year, the embassy said, it held a similar event but did not issue a news release about it.

“It is the policy of the United States government to support and promote equal rights for all human beings,” an embassy spokeswoman, Rian Harris, said by e-mail when asked about the backlash. “We are committed to standing up for these values around the world, including here in Pakistan.”

Well intended as it may have been, the event was seen by many in Pakistan’s gay community as detrimental to their cause. The 33-year-old activist strongly believes it was a mistake.

“The damage that the U.S. pride event has done is colossal,” she said, “just in terms of creating an atmosphere of fear that was not there before. The public eye is not what we need right now.”
Despite the hostile climate, both the support group and O continue their work. O is currently researching violence against lesbian, bisexual and transgender Pakistanis.

“In a way, we are just role models for each other,” the 30-year-old said. When she was growing up, she said, she did not know anyone who was gay and she could not imagine such a life.

“For me the whole activism is to create that space in which we can imagine a future for ourselves, and not even imagine but live that future,” she said. “And we are living it. I’m living my own impossibility.”

Haq's Musings: Madhu Lal Shah Husain Urs: LGBT Celebration in Pakistan?

Here's a BBC report about gay sex in Karachi:

Pakistan is not the kind of place that most people would associate with gay liberation. But some say the country is a great place to be gay - even describing the port city of Karachi as "a gay man's paradise".

Underground parties, group sex at shrines and "marriages of convenience" to members of the opposite sex are just some of the surprises that gay Pakistan has to offer. Under its veneer of strict social conformity, the country is bustling with same-sex activity.

Danyaal, as he's asked to be known, is a 50-something businessman who lives in an affluent part of Karachi, and uses his smartphone to organise Karachi's gay party scene.

"One of the first things I did online, maybe 12 years ago, was type in G - A - Y and hit search. Back then I found a group and made contact with 12 people in this city," he says.

Continue reading the main story
“
Start Quote

After getting married, gay men will treat their wives well but they will continue to have sex with other men”

Qasim Iqbal
Researcher
"These days there are smartphone apps that use GPS to tell you how close you are to another gay person with an online profile. There are thousands of gay men online in Pakistan at any one time."

The party scene is big - so big, he jokes, that he rarely gets time to himself.

"If you want sex too, it's a gay man's paradise. If you want a relationship, that may be more difficult."

These invitation-only parties are a rare opportunity for gay men to be open about their sexuality.

Pakistani society is fiercely patriarchal. Pakistanis are expected to marry a member of the opposite sex, and the vast majority do.

The result is a culture of dishonesty and double lives, says researcher Qasim Iqbal.

"Gay men will make every effort to stop any investment in a same-sex relationship because they know that one day they will have to get married to a woman," he says.

"After getting married they will treat their wives well but they will continue to have sex with other men."

Sex between men occurs in some very public places - including, surprisingly, Karachi's busiest shrine.

Families go to the Abdullah Shah-Ghazi shrine to honour the holy man buried there and to ask for God's blessings, but it is also Karachi's biggest cruising ground.
-----------
Just occasionally, though, Pakistani parents do reconcile themselves to children entering a long-term gay relationship.

Akbar and Ali are one such couple who have made things work, against the odds.

"Ali's family was run by a matriarch," recalls Akbar.

"His grandmother was the head of the house so I knew that winning her over would mean everything else would fall into place. I took the time to talk to her and convince her that I was a good person. That was first and foremost. It wasn't about 'coming out' in a formal sense. It's more important to convince Ali's family that I'm a good human being.

"She once gave me a hand-embroidered decorative cloth that she had made as a teenager. She said she was giving it to me because she knew I 'take care of things'. It was a kind gesture and a very personal kind of acceptance."

BBC News - Gay Pakistan: Where sex is available and relationships are difficult

chacha riaz you should have your head checked now,,,,,,tangain tumhari qabar mai hain or tum abhi bhi haramzadgi or trolling sai baaz nahi aa rahay,,,,,,

Hazrat Shah Hussain was a pious man and a saint,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what chacha riaz is suggesting is qadiani propoganda and totally baseless.

chacha riaz if you love your father or your brother or your childhood friend who happens to be your best friend does that means you are having sex with them too???

chacha riaz you should have your head checked now,,,,,,tangain tumhari qabar mai hain or tum abhi bhi haramzadgi or trolling sai baaz nahi aa rahay,,,,,,

Hazrat Shah Hussain was a pious man and a saint,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what chacha riaz is suggesting is qadiani propoganda and totally baseless.

chacha riaz if you love your father or your brother or your childhood friend who happens to be your best friend does that means you are having sex with them too???

You are wrong my brother ... This is fact of history that this characterless sufi loves with Madhulal ... But ignorant people had started his worship after his death ... You need to read about him ...........

Your post is representative of the kind of hypocrisy that pervades Pakistani society on matters of sex.

Back
Top Bottom