What's new

Legend of Ayub Khan.

The mind-set that started from Pindi Conspiracy case became reality in 1958. Some people recall his era as golden people but some says

Seeds of separation sowed in East Pakistan
All measures were taken to curtail his opponents
Forces specially army got the taste of “more delicious and spicy” items
First time so openly relatives of Pakistan rulers involved in “business”

This legend continued and gen Mushraff is last but i am afraid not least

I think Military , genius , is great on a battle field, and lets keep it that way - the skills needed to run a civilian gov is job for civilian administration , and no point in talking about Military minds in civilian roles

We need to move forward with our modernization of our democratic thought process and move forward

“How many aircraft did you shoot down, Haider?” I replied: “None, sir, but my Squardon led me destroyed eleven enemy aircrafts.” I had felt like asking him, which gallantry in the battle field won you the Hilal-e-Jurat, Mr President?”

Thoughts of S Sajad Haider while receiving Sitara-e-Jurat from Eyub Khan​

Suspicious military career
Self proclaimed Field Marshal
Praised by Christine Keeler for his beauty and attraction in one of her interview

Today we live an era where political and ideological opponents are called traitors and Indian agents. This is also a legend of Gen Eyub Khan

When Ayub Khan Accused Fatima Jinnah Of Being An Indian And American Agent

“They call her the Mother of the Nation,” sniffed Pakistan’s President Mohammed Ayub Khan. “Then she should at least behave like a mother.” What upset Ayub was that Fatima Jinnah looked so good in pants. The more she upbraided Ayub, the louder Pakistanis cheered the frail figure in her shalwar (baggy white silk trousers). By last week, with Pakistan’s first presidential election only a fortnight away, opposition to Ayub had reached a pitch unequaled in his six years of autocratic rule.

The Big Stick. White-haired Miss Jinnah, 71, the candidate of five ragtag and usually disunited opposition parties, was picked mainly because she was the sister and confidante of the late revered Mohammed Ali Jinnah, father of his nation’s independence. But Pakistan’s response to her razor-tongued attacks on Ayub’s highhanded ways has surprised and shocked the government. Students throughout the nation staged angry protest marches against the regime, and at least one demonstrator was killed by police in Karachi. DOWN WITH THE AYUB DICTATORSHIP, cried posters in the East Pakistan city of Dacca, where students enthusiastically proclaimed Miss Fatima Jinnah Week. In Karachi, Pakistan’s biggest city, student unrest prompted the government to close all the schools indefinitely.

Most legal groups in Pakistan have come out for Miss Jinnah, and were denounced by Ayub as “mischiefmongers.” In reply, the Karachi Bar Association overwhelmingly adopted a resolution urging “the party in power to get rid of the notion that wisdom, righteousness and patriotism are the monopoly of their yes men.” The usually complaisant newspaper editors defied the regime’s attempts to make them endorse a restrictive new press law.

To Ayub’s claim that he is trying to develop “basic democracy,” Miss Jinnah replied: “What sort of democracy is that? One man’s democracy? Fifty persons’ democracy?” As for Ayub’s charge that the country would revert to chaos if he is defeated, his rival snapped: “You can’t have stability through compulsion, force and the big stick.”

Running Scared. Actually, Ayub has been a reluctant and benevolent dictator, who has vastly improved the stability of a country that was paralyzed by squabbling politicians before he took over. Considering Pakistan’s backwardness and poverty, the Ayub-designed electoral system is not half bad, giving the vote to 80,000 middle-and upper-class electors. While that is a tiny percentage in a total population of 110 million, most of those millions are not only illiterate but totally ignorant of political issues. With heavy support in rural areas, where many Moslem electors particularly disapprove of a woman’s candidacy and where Ayub’s economic reforms have helped more than in the cities, Ayub is still expected to win the election by some 60% of the vote.

Nonetheless, he is running scared, because Candidate Jinnah has managed to focus every form of discontent in the country. To brake her bandwagon, he abruptly decreed that elections would be held Jan. 2, instead of March, as originally scheduled. Explaining lamely that the situation is “a little tense,” the government also rescinded a law specifying that political rallies must be open to the public.

At closed meetings with groups of electors, Ayub answered practical questions sensibly enough, but kept lashing out at the opposition with growing anger. Countering Miss Jinnah’s repeated charge that he had been unable to restrain the U.S. from helping Pakistan’s No. 1 adversary, India, he set out to portray her as pro-Indian and pro-American. Ayub’s campaign, in fact, was turning increasingly anti-American.

Though U.S. aid (about $5 billion since 1951) is vital to the nation’s wretched economy, a leading member of Ayub’s party cried: “America never was our friend and never could be, because as a nation aligned with the anticolonial movements, we are at cross-purposes with America.” As for Ayub, he plainly regretted ever calling elections in the first place. For after six years of insisting that Pakistanis were not ready for democracy, the campaign had shown that Mohammed Ayub Khan probably isn’t either

Legend of Gen Eyub Khan continues

Suspicious deaths of
• Madar-e-Millat Mohtarma Fatima Jinnah
• Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy

We can't turn a blind eye to his projects. PIDC, S.I.T.E, water dams, Islamabad etc.

Another Great Pakistani!

We can't turn a blind eye to his projects. PIDC, S.I.T.E, water dams, Islamabad etc.

Another Great Pakistani!
And most importantly his decision of signing up Indus water treaty, through which he literally gifted the water of three rivers to India in return of you guess what? NOTHING. Ayub will always be remembered with every water shortage in Pakistan and famine as a result of that shortage. Really a great Pakistan "badnam hoye to kya naam na hoga"

And most importantly his decision of signing up Indus water treaty, through which he literally gifted the water of three rivers to India in return of you guess what? NOTHING. Ayub will always be remembered with every water shortage in Pakistan and famine as a result of it.
Wasn't Bhutto part of that treaty , he was Ayub Khan's right hand at that time.

Wasn't Bhutto part of that treaty , he was Ayub Khan's right hand at that time.
Bhutto was only the head the ministries of commerce, information and industries; the real god was his 'Daddy', Ayub Khan. If Ayub was foresighted enough, and if he was not ready to sign up the IWT, Bhutto was never in a position to make him do so or was he?

A correction; I said Ayub gave all the waters of the three Eastern Rivers in return of nothing, someone of the dictator lover may comeup and say I am wrong. Well, Pakistan did receive a generous one-time financial compensation for the loss of water from the Eastern rivers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom