What's new

Lebanon to Russia to Diversify Army Weapon Sources

Reaction score
Country
Iraq
Qahwaji to Russia to Diversify Army Weapon Sources — Naharnet

Army chief General Jean Qahwaji is scheduled to travel to Russia soon to discuss ways that Moscow can provide the Lebanese army with military aid, news reports said on Wednesday.

Qahwaji aims to diversify the sources of military weapons provided to Lebanon within the $500 million quota allocated to the army and as part of the one billion Saudi grant in that regard, As Safir daily reported.

Former Premier and head of al-Mustaqbal Movement MP Saad Hariri announced on August 6 that Saudi Arabia will grant Lebanon one billion dollars to the military institution to “combat terrorism.”

Media information said that $500 million of the grant will be given in cash to the Lebanese army to get the weapons and ammunition needed.

Qahwaji had reiterated to his visitors that Hariri told him to “find the best suitable contract for the military institution, and we will be right behind you,” according to As Safir Wednesday.

It also revealed that the army chief will visit Russia soon after he held several contacts with the Russian Ambassador Alexander Zasypkin in Beirut to sign the arms deal with the leadership of the Russian army.

Qahwaji is expected to visit several western and eastern capitals to purchase the weapons, added the daily, pointing that the U.S. has put its weapons warehouses in Cyprus under the disposal of the Lebanese army since the latest incidents that flared in the northeastern border town of Arsal.

Hariri, who made a surprise visit to Lebanon at the beginning of August after three years abroad, had left back to Jeddah a few days afterwards to “hold discussions with Saudi leaders on the aid granted to the Lebanese army.”

In December 2013 Saudi Arabia had granted three billion dollars for the purchase of arms from France for the benefit of the Lebanese army.

APC, IFV, artillery, rocket launchers, small arms, helicopters etc. to deal with groups coming from Syria like what happened recently

I agree with APC/artillery/small arms/helicopters although not with rocket launchers. Unless they intend to shell border areas then that is useful but inside suburbs shouldn't be used.

Although I question effectivenss of APC in long term because the way they maneuver in cities makes them vulnerable to rpgs. And in the long term IED's could render the APC option useless.

They need to get rid of M16(long barrel if I'm correct) for city fighting and adopt Russian AK new versions. They also need mortars and helicopters would assist.

How about anything to raise their awareness near border with Israel? Because from what I see they aren't as alert as they should be. It's usually Hezbollah which catches any movement from Syrian border or Israeli border and Hezbollah does this without advanced detection systems. Maybe Lebanese army could use such systems and place them in camflouage near rocks/trees.

I agree with APC/artillery/small arms/helicopters although not with rocket launchers. Unless they intend to shell border areas then that is useful but inside suburbs shouldn't be used.

Although I question effectivenss of APC in long term because the way they maneuver in cities makes them vulnerable to rpgs. And in the long term IED's could render the APC option useless.

They need to get rid of M16(long barrel if I'm correct) for city fighting and adopt Russian AK new versions. They also need mortars and helicopters would assist.

How about anything to raise their awareness near border with Israel? Because from what I see they aren't as alert as they should be. It's usually Hezbollah which catches any movement from Syrian border or Israeli border and Hezbollah does this without advanced detection systems. Maybe Lebanese army could use such systems and place them in camflouage near rocks/trees.

The M16 is a very potent rifle in urban terrain due to its higher accuracy and effective range, after all most urban combat situations happen in assault rifle ranges that are not door to door, Also the M16 emphasizes aim over spray and pray a common firing technique by Insurgents and untrained military personnel. The only thing the AK trumps the M16 in is ruggedness, which is not something a conventional military should take into account because of soldier training in rifle upkeep.

The Lebanese army needs to secure its borders from retreating ISIS and eventually demolish Hizbollah because none state actors in a state is a recipe for disaster long term. So I really hope Lebanese army eventually devastates Hizb once and for all.

Oh and sending foot soldiers without protection is inviting a high mortality and morbidity rate within the professional military ranks.

The M16 is a very potent rifle in urban terrain due to its higher accuracy and effective range, after all most urban combat situations happen in assault rifle ranges that are not door to door, Also the M16 emphasizes aim over spray and pray a common firing technique by Insurgents and untrained military personnel. The only thing the AK trumps the M16 in is ruggedness, which is not something a conventional military should take into account because of soldier training in rifle upkeep.

The Lebanese army needs to secure its borders from retreating ISIS and eventually demolish Hizbollah because none state actors in a state is a recipe for disaster long term. So I really hope Lebanese army eventually devastates Hizb once and for all.

Oh and sending foot soldiers without protection is inviting a high mortality and morbidity rate within the professional military ranks.

M16 carbine will be useful but the M16 dmr-like rifles used by Lebanese army shouldn't be used in my opinion. The new AK generation of rifles could suit them well. Or AKM rifles as well, they are more potent. The classic ones found in black market are the ones needed to be replaced but Lebanese army doesn't use those. Even Hezbollah has replaced them.

I don't think the Lebanese army will target Hezbollah. Hezbollah is the only force which can defend Lebanon from Israel.

RPG 22 and so on not MLRS.
Maybe Kornet E.

Everything is vulnerable but they will need equipment for protection. BTR 82A and BMP2/3 should be good for them.

I think they should get some MI-35 and MI-17, both are capable of attack and transport for their limited budget

M16 carbine will be useful but the M16 dmr-like rifles used by Lebanese army shouldn't be used in my opinion. The new AK generation of rifles could suit them well. Or AKM rifles as well, they are more potent. The classic ones found in black market are the ones needed to be replaced but Lebanese army doesn't use those. Even Hezbollah has replaced them.

I don't think the Lebanese army will target Hezbollah. Hezbollah is the only force which can defend Lebanon from Israel.

Saudi Arabia is currently using the AK-12 and the G-36 as Main Battle Rifles,

Bu8qWrACMAEdmxG.jpg

vtSSGp.png

UBvzXn.png

Only Select units ever used M4, and only the Murabeteen units belonging to the SANG use the M16.

Look how this degenerate Israeli slave Arab, the first thing he says is Hezbollah will be destroyed. Anyone who resists Israel must be destroyed. That's his political ideology. I think it's time to overthrow these monarchy terrorists.

Yel3an kus im malk abdullah wal Sisi ibn al 3ahrah

Hezbollah forces being integrated in the LAF would be better for Lebanon itself, now that country is used as a playground for other states.
He wants them defeated cause they're an Iranian allie not because they fight Israel, anyway LAF can't defeat Hezb and they won't try either, both of them are focused on ISIS and it's symphatizers who are a greater danger to everyone, if LAF and Hezbollah fight each other ISIS will hijack it like they did in Syria.

Hezbollah forces being integrated in the LAF would be better for Lebanon itself, now that country is used as a playground for other states.
He wants them defeated cause they're an Iranian allie not because they fight Israel, anyway LAF can't defeat Hezb and they won't try either, both of them are focused on ISIS and it's symphatizers who are a greater danger to everyone, if LAF and Hezbollah fight each other ISIS will hijack it like they did in Syria.

You are right about your analysis. Lebanese army can't survive without Hezbollah and Hezbollah needs state institution to keep stability in the region. They both need each other and it seems they're closer than ever.

Trust me, it is about Israel. Hamas and Iran cut ties for a few years and they despise Hamas more than Hezbollah. It's because they have blood ties to Medina Jewish tribes. Sisi's mother is a Jewish Morrocan. He refuses to give any information on his mother's side of the family.

Once the fighting with ISIS is done. Yeah I am supporting my country's interests is there something wrong with that? Hizb kidnapping Saudi citizens in Lebanon was the final draw for me for any ounce of respect for them.

Once the fighting with ISIS is done. Yeah I am supporting my country's interests is there something wrong with that? Hizb kidnapping Saudi citizens in Lebanon was the final draw for me for any ounce of respect for them.

You're losing your mind. You sell all your honor for no reason. It's dangerous to cross that line. The Arab regimes have crossed it and I predict their time is 2-5 years at most.

You are right about your analysis. Lebanese army can't survive without Hezbollah and Hezbollah needs state institution to keep stability in the region. They both need each other and it seems they're closer than ever.

Trust me, it is about Israel. Hamas and Iran cut ties for a few years and they despise Hamas more than Hezbollah. It's because they have blood ties to Medina Jewish tribes. Sisi's mother is a Jewish Morrocan. He refuses to give any information on his mother's side of the family.

First of all thinking only in religious overtones is the criteria of the brainwashed and the extreme. Second of all, I don't really care about Israel, not supporting or attacking for a reason as they have not risked our security or economical interests, I am a pragmatic individual who does not think in the guise of religion race or language.

You're losing your mind. You sell all your honor for no reason. It's dangerous to cross that line. The Arab regimes have crossed it and I predict their time is 2-5 years at most.

Yes it was quite honourable when Hizb kidnapped 2 Saudi Citizens who were in Lebanon to attend their Lebanese friend wedding. They fought Israel so I guess they can kill all the Saudis they want right?

First of all thinking only in religious overtones is the criteria of the brainwashed and the extreme. Second of all, I don't really care about Israel, not supporting or attacking for a reason as they have not risked our security or economical interests, I am a pragmatic individual who does not think in the guise of religion race or language.

Has nothing to do with religion. Jews consider themselves a race. Any person with Jewish roots/blood in the Arab world is a threat to all Arabs/Muslims/Palestinians. He presents no information on his mother side of the family because she is Morrocan Jewish and he considers Israel's interests before those of Egypt. You're obsessed with appeasing Israel. I seriously wonder about your family name so I can find out which tribe you're from.
Yes it was quite honourable when Hizb kidnapped 2 Saudi Citizens who were in Lebanon to attend their Lebanese friend wedding. They fought Israel so I guess they can kill all the Saudis they want right?

When did anything like that happen? Those two they though were leading militant groups in Lebanon? If you have something against Hezbollah that's up to you. Don't wish for their destruction and say outrageous things. You also have the same attitude towards Hamas even though Hamas done nothing to Saudi Arabia. It's because they don't appease Israel the way you want them to.

Has nothing to do with religion. Jews consider themselves a race. Any person with Jewish roots/blood in the Arab world is a threat to all Arabs/Muslims/Palestinians. He presents no information on his mother side of the family because she is Morrocan Jewish and he considers Israel's interests before those of Egypt. You're obsessed with appeasing Israel. I seriously wonder about your family name so I can find out which tribe you're from.

When did anything like that happen? Those two they though were leading militant groups in Lebanon? If you have something against Hezbollah that's up to you. Don't wish for their destruction and say outrageous things. You also have the same attitude towards Hamas even though Hamas done nothing to Saudi Arabia. It's because they don't appease Israel the way you want them to.

My name is Moshe Mordacai, what are you going to do about it? Anyways you just proved you are racist too, good for you. I am not against Hamas you see, I am against their method of trying to mount a resistance, one could say they are playing squarely into the Israeli's trap. Israel can be made a great ally of the Arab world, and in time they will be pressured by their Arab allies to integrate a full state of both Palestinians and Jews. And we can all live in peace away from anti-semetic BS you are yelling.

Oh and "those two" were captured just because they were Saudis, because according to your Hizbi pals all Saudis are terrorists because that is what Iran bolted into their thick skulls, and I see that you share their sentiments. Which is a shame.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom