What's new

Laser pointer: a weapon, or a toy?

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Laser pointer: a weapon, or a toy?

Each year there are more and more incidents worldwide of laser pointers being used to blind aircraft pilots.

165030098.jpg

Laser pointer: a weapon, or a toy? | INFOgraphics | RIA Novosti

Every few weeks, some idiot (probably a kid) points a powerful green laser at landing airliners, probably saying "nyuk nyuk, I am sooo bad." It presents a serious danger. They are almost always caught eventually, because the location is reported, and they do investigate, at least in the U.S.

What is the point of doing this? I don't understand it.

Once some retard point laser on a landing plane in Riyadh. The pilot was unfortunately blinded and couldn't see the runway. In an heroic and miraculous way, the Co-Pilot gave live commentary on the situation and they landed safely, and the Saudi kids were arrested. There are rumors about a 'Blue Laser' which was invented in Japan and then discharged, as it possess greater danger then the Green laser.

This is no news. There is an entire wiki article written on it.

Just makes you wonder how many of those aviation accidents that are supposedly caused by "human error" are actually the result of some immature kid pointing a laser pointer at the cockpit.

They would hear comments on the cockpit recorder if the airplane is large enough. "Ahhh I'm blind!" Something like that.

This sort of thing is even stupider than vandalism, which I have NEVER understood, even as a kid. While my "friends" are spray-painting some building, all I could think of was the poor owner who had to clean it up. Robbery I can understand, vandalism, no. And this is worse because human life could be lost. It'd be like planting random bombs just to hurt people, with no political agenda, no motivation.

Could a laser beam really cause a plane crash?

On behalf of The McClellan Law Firm posted in Plane Crash

Some people believe that pointing a laser at an airplane would not cause a plane crash. The FAA is taking exception to that belief by announcing fines of up to $11,000 per violation for anyone caught aiming a laser device at an airplane.
When a commercial plane crash occurs, the aftermath can be devastating. Hundreds of passengers can be injured or even killed in an accident. Pilots need to be able to focus without any interference. Current federal regulations make it illegal to interfere with the operation of any commercial aircraft and now laser pointers are considered interference.
You may think that the concern is regarding the lasers that people use in conferences or to point at the board in a classroom. But these lasers are actually much more powerful and can be used to point at stars. The laser is so powerful that it can even cause temporary blindness.
This year, there have been reports of over 1,100 incidents of laser light beamed into aircraft cockpits, temporarily blinding flight crews. The number of incidents has been increasing over the past several years, partly because the powerful lasers can be ordered online. In 2005, there were less than 300 cases reported. By 2010, the number of laser pointing incidents had risen to over 2,800 nationwide.
One pilot's experience with a laser occurred in the cockpit several thousand feet in the air over the airport. The pilot had to cover his eyes while the co-pilot ducked beneath the glare shield. The plane had been on autopilot; had the plane been in the process of landing, the results could have been catastrophic.
Many state and local laws already make it illegal to point lasers at planes. Penalties can include a prison sentence. Both the U.S. House and Senate have passed legislation making the practice and use of such lasers a federal crime punishable by a prison term of up to five years.

Could a laser beam really cause a plane crash? | San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys Blog

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

FAA to fine people who point lasers at planes

They would hear comments on the cockpit recorder if the airplane is large enough. "Ahhh I'm blind!" Something like that.

This sort of thing is even stupider than vandalism, which I have NEVER understood, even as a kid. While my "friends" are spray-painting some building, all I could think of was the poor owner who had to clean it up. Robbery I can understand, vandalism, no. And this is worse because human life could be lost. It'd be like planting random bombs just to hurt people, with no political agenda, no motivation.

I think a lot of kids are probably ignorant of just how dangerous the laser pointers are in a situation like this. Maybe they should launch more public service announcements about this.

Guys, come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

The basis of the article is incorrect, which rests on the assumption that a kid has access to POWERFUL laser device.
Now the probability of pointing that thing on the cockpit's glass, from AT LEAST 300m away ( considering focusing on a plane landing in urban environment).

Gaga Gogo Gaga Gogo ......

stupid idiot kids

but in karachi airport, the secured parameter is so big that one kid just cant point a laser and expect it to reach the pilot of landing aircraft

Guys, come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

The basis of the article is incorrect, which rests on the assumption that a kid has access to POWERFUL laser device.
Now the probability of pointing that thing on the cockpit's glass, from AT LEAST 300m away ( considering focusing on a plane landing in urban environment).

Gaga Gogo Gaga Gogo ......

Uhhh, the green lasers sold over the counter, usually between $50 and $150, are plenty powerful enough to cause temporary blindness to an aircraft cockpit in a landing pattern.

It is a real danger.

Why do you think this way? Think the authors are stupid or it's some sort of conspiracy?

Every few weeks, some idiot (probably a kid) points a powerful green laser at landing airliners, probably saying "nyuk nyuk, I am sooo bad." It presents a serious danger. They are almost always caught eventually, because the location is reported, and they do investigate, at least in the U.S.

What is the point of doing this? I don't understand it.

hahahahahahahaahah, i cant keep making myself thinking this happening in my head hahahahahaha

nyuk nyuk? hahahahahahahhahahaha what does it mean?

"nyuk nyuk i am soooo bad"

hahahaahahahahaha, thanks chogy you made me laugh like hell!

Uhhh, the green lasers sold over the counter, usually between $50 and $150, are plenty powerful enough to cause temporary blindness to an aircraft cockpit in a landing pattern.

It is a real danger.

Why do you think this way? Think the authors are stupid or it's some sort of conspiracy?

Chogy ... is that really you ?
has some one hacked in your account ?

It is a real danger.

So what is the diameter of that powerful laser beam that you can buy?

While I do not know much about the veracity of such reports, I know at least one thing - you would need mechanical devices to successfully point the laser beam at a target (that too a fast moving one) 100s of meters, if not kilometers away.

Someone up there also reported that a co-pilot ducked to avoid the beam. While it suggests that the beam was steadily pointed at the cockpit (which has a sharp angle to the ground, that would make it even more difficult), it makes me wonder how steady the kid's hands must have been.

I would also like to know how is it that the co-pilot, who ducked, sensed the presence of the beam even before it hit his/her eyes.

Would really appreciate it if anyone can elaborate on the process of laser aiming by the kids, using hand-held devices.

Do I need to drop credentials?

I am an airline pilot. These things are real, the threat is real, and it has been happening for years. The FAA published NOTAMS (Notices to Airmen) detailing places and times of lasings of commercial aircraft.

The green spotting lasers don't come into the cockpit as a tight little beam, they are spread, and the entire interior gets dazzled by brilliant light at critical moments, with pilots pupils wide open at night for best night vision.

A 10 second google search would illustrate the extent of the problem. :confused:

Simple Research reveals all

Do I need to drop credentials?

I am an airline pilot. These things are real, the threat is real, and it has been happening for years. The FAA published NOTAMS (Notices to Airmen) detailing places and times of lasings of commercial aircraft.

The green spotting lasers don't come into the cockpit as a tight little beam, they are spread, and the entire interior gets dazzled by brilliant light at critical moments, with pilots pupils wide open at night for best night vision.

A 10 second google search would illustrate the extent of the problem. :confused:

Simple Research reveals all

looks like all the americans here in the forum has some sort of connection to the aviation industry! :D

Back
Top Bottom