What's new

Language bridges gap, brings China & India on same page

Veeru

BANNED
Reaction score
Language bridges gap, brings China & India on same page

KOLKATA: Ke Nian didn't know that Kolkata had a sizeable Chinese population or that Tagore whom she had grown up admiring hailed from this part of the country.

Till she travelled here from the Hubei province to teach in a language school and joined the Chini adda' sessions held every month.

She took part in one such session on Sunday along with about a 100 others from both communities. Chinese consul general Zhang Lizhong presided over the session that included a documentary on Tagore's links with China.

"It came as a complete revelation to me that Tagore had close ties with Chinese authors and that he took a keen interest in China. Honestly, I was not even aware that he had travelled to China thrice. Or, that the Chinese in Kolkata have become so Indianized," said Nian with a grin.

For many in the Chinese community here, the adda sessions organized by The Chinese Language School have been a journey of discovery. It has helped them come out of their shell and indulge in exchanges with locals who have been exploring a lot more about China than just their food.

And it's not just the students who have joined the classes and are reciting Chinese poems. Scores of curious Kolkatans are exploring Chinese history and culture.

Take, for instance, Rajesh Kanoi who went to China as an English teacher in 2001. After entering the country through Shenzen via Hong Kong, he was left amazed by the dazzling metro.

"China, I had perceived, would be less sparkling, perhaps a shade colourless. But I had no idea that the country had changed. Even more surprising was the interest they took in Indian culture and their love for Tagore. Every student I met at the university asked me about the bard," adding, "when I relived these experiences after returning home, few would believe me."

But thanks to the sessions that started in 2008, a growing number of Kolkatans are fast becoming more knowledgeable about their neighbours across the Himalayas.

Ayesha Mallik, a regular at these sessions and Chinese language student, said she discovered more about Buddhism in China and its roots in India after having interacted with her teachers.

"It turned out to be an eye-opener. Strangely, there has always been very little information available about China and we have never attempted to break the barrier between the communities," she added.

The sessions helped us to discover the commonalities that our history, culture and interests are similar. The ties always existed, we just needed to break the ice which has been done," said Mallik.

For many, the sessions are a stepping stone to joining language classes on their way to China for a job. Business exchanges and professional opportunities have forced both communities to know more about each other.

"This holds true for Kolkata for we have a lot of people travelling to China for work. Many spend months there, often years. They can't do without the language or help but find out about the culture there. Whatever be the reason, it has helped Kolkatans forge a tie with the members of the community in the city," said Charisma Saraff, vice-principal of The Chinese Language School.

Shilpa Baheti, a regular at the session, picked up the language in less than a year. "It's a challenge learning Chinese. I would perhaps have not taken it unless my husband had business interests there. Now that I have, I thoroughly enjoy interacting with the Chinese both in Kolkata and in China. I now have more Chinese friends than Indian acquaintances here," she said.

Li Chin, a Tangra resident and language teacher, said the Chini adda sessions have become a part of her very being. Having spent most of her life interacting only with Chinese neighbours, her world changed after she started attending the sessions.

"There was so much to share with the Bengalis and other communities here. It's a collaboration that will help enrich the city. Sadly, we had never attempted to discover that earlier ," she gushed.

It could indeed be a win-win situation for both, felt Lizhong. "Learning the language has become a compulsion for many due to professional reasons. But let it serve as an excuse for us to come together," said Lizhong.

Language bridges gap, brings China & India on same page - The Times of India

All these threads and arguement I see from Chinese and Indian members, are totally opposite to articles like this I read on this site.

All these threads and arguement I see from Chinese and Indian members, are totally opposite to articles like this I read on this site.

Out of the many, many threads that Veeru has started on the topic of China, how many of them were positive?

You guys just love to hate your neighbours. :wave:

Positive news such as this will be ignored.

Out of the many, many threads that Veeru has started on the topic of China, how many of them were positive?

You guys just love to hate your neighbours. :wave:

Positive news such as this will be ignored.

but the fact is average Indians admires China to a great extent, its some stupid media which creates such hypes to sell their news. :tup:

I think one of few things that the Chinese government is doing right in the soft power department is the government sponsored Chinese language program.

I think most countries in the world has a Confucius institute now.

but the fact is average Indians admires China to a great extent, its some stupid media which creates such hypes to sell their news. :tup:

Why would the average Indian admire China? The average knows little about China. The common man is too busy living his life to be bothered about admiring China... or hating Pakistan for that matter.

Why would the average Indian admire China? The average knows little about China. The common man is too busy living his life to be bothered about admiring China... or hating Pakistan for that matter.

Yeah F China, I'm so petty that I have to keep other people from saying anything nice about China. Gotta make sure they toe that "world biggest democracy" line, you know.

Yeah F China, I'm so petty that I have to keep other people from saying anything nice about China. Gotta make sure they toe that "world biggest democracy" line, you know.

What's wrong? Is your ego so inflated that you think that Indians spend their time admiring "supahh duppah" China?

Back
Top Bottom