What's new

Landmark Presidential Vote begins in Turkey

AUz

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Voting is under way across Turkey for the country's first ever presidential election put to a popular vote.

Three candidates are vying for the position, including current Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

If none of the candidates gets above 50% of the vote, a second round will be held on 24 August.

Mr Erdogan, 60, says that if he wins he wants to turn the largely ceremonial post of president into the country's executive powerhouse.

He has been prime minister since 2003 and is barred from standing for that office again.

Polls opened at 08:00 local time (05:00 GMT) and close at 17:00.

'Show our colours'

The BBC's Mark Lowen in Ankara says Mr Erdogan is a divisive figure adored by his supporters for transforming the economy but hated by critics for an abrasive style and Islamist leanings.

Turkey - wedged between the turmoil of Iraq, Syria and Ukraine - is an important ally for the West, our correspondent adds, and whoever becomes head of state will hold a key geopolitical position.

Mr Erdogan's two rivals are a little-known diplomat, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, and Kurdish politician Selahattin Demirtas.

_76850574_023445630.jpg
Mr Erdogan says he wants to expand presidential powers
_76850578_023455558.jpg

Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu addressed a rally in Istanbul on Saturday

_76850582_023453953.jpg

Selahattin Demirtas is a lawyer who became involved in human rights groups in Turkey’s Kurdish region
Mr Ihsanoglu, 71, is the joint candidate of the two main opposition parties in parliament, the centre-left Republican People's Party (CHP) and the far-right Nationalist Movement Party (MHP).

He served as the secretary-general of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation from 2004-14.

Mr Ihsanoglu has vowed to uphold the president's traditional role, insisting it is not up to the head of state to be involved in day-to-day running of politics.

Mr Demirtas, 41, is a leader of the left-wing People's Democratic Party (HDP) and a well-known politician from the Kurdish minority.

Correspondents say he has focused his campaign on championing the cause of the oppressed, the poor, the young and the working classes.

In his final rally in the city of Konya on Saturday, Mr Erdogan vowed to raise Turkey's democratic standards and economic record to create a "world leader and global power".

"There is no unattainable dream or unattainable objective for this nation," he said.

Mr Demirtas held his final rally in the city of Izmir.

"We cannot build our union by accusing each other. Let's show our colours at the ballot box tomorrow with our oppressed identities and faiths," he said.

BBC News - Turkey votes in landmark presidential election

==================================================================

All the poles are favoring Erdogan to win this in first round (Inshallah he will!). :yay:

All of the latest polls showing that Erdogan is leading my massive margin and is consistently polling above 52% in almost all polls.

e5atnIl.png

Hopefully, this man will bring great prestige, honor, and prosperity to Turkey and will provide other Muslim countries around Turkey with an example to follow.

Discuss my Turkish brothers. It is a very important day in your country's recent history

Why do you care @AUz? You must have serious problems if you're cheering that much for someone in the elections of a foreign country. If only you cared as much about your own country.

Traffic Jam of democracy :D, people are coming home from holidays to vote.

25511136.jpg

Really?! Dang, it means that turnout is going be really high?

Well, hopefully turnout is great. It will give more legitimacy to the victor ;)

Why do you care @AUz? You must have serious problems if you're cheering that much for someone in the elections of a foreign country. If only you cared as much about your own country.

Its not your problem if I care or not. We all have our favorites. Don't you remember in 2008, thousands of Germans came to see Obama? Did they have any problem?

PS, post on the topic.

Did you vote in the current election or not?

Really?! Dang, it means that turnout is going be really high?
Well, hopefully turnout is great. It will give more legitimacy to the victor ;)
The participation on election is usually high in Turkey.

Voting is under way across Turkey for the country's first ever presidential election put to a popular vote.

Three candidates are vying for the position, including current Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

If none of the candidates gets above 50% of the vote, a second round will be held on 24 August.
Mr Erdogan, 60, says that if he wins he wants to turn the largely ceremonial post of president into the country's executive powerhouse.

He has been prime minister since 2003 and is barred from standing for that office again.

Polls opened at 08:00 local time (05:00 GMT) and close at 17:00.

'Show our colours'

The BBC's Mark Lowen in Ankara says Mr Erdogan is a divisive figure adored by his supporters for transforming the economy but hated by critics for an abrasive style and Islamist leanings.

Turkey - wedged between the turmoil of Iraq, Syria and Ukraine - is an important ally for the West, our correspondent adds, and whoever becomes head of state will hold a key geopolitical position.

Mr Erdogan's two rivals are a little-known diplomat, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, and Kurdish politician Selahattin Demirtas.

_76850574_023445630.jpg
Mr Erdogan says he wants to expand presidential powers
_76850578_023455558.jpg

Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu addressed a rally in Istanbul on Saturday

_76850582_023453953.jpg

Selahattin Demirtas is a lawyer who became involved in human rights groups in Turkey’s Kurdish region
Mr Ihsanoglu, 71, is the joint candidate of the two main opposition parties in parliament, the centre-left Republican People's Party (CHP) and the far-right Nationalist Movement Party (MHP).

He served as the secretary-general of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation from 2004-14.

Mr Ihsanoglu has vowed to uphold the president's traditional role, insisting it is not up to the head of state to be involved in day-to-day running of politics.

Mr Demirtas, 41, is a leader of the left-wing People's Democratic Party (HDP) and a well-known politician from the Kurdish minority.

Correspondents say he has focused his campaign on championing the cause of the oppressed, the poor, the young and the working classes.

In his final rally in the city of Konya on Saturday, Mr Erdogan vowed to raise Turkey's democratic standards and economic record to create a "world leader and global power".

"There is no unattainable dream or unattainable objective for this nation," he said.

Mr Demirtas held his final rally in the city of Izmir.

"We cannot build our union by accusing each other. Let's show our colours at the ballot box tomorrow with our oppressed identities and faiths," he said.

BBC News - Turkey votes in landmark presidential election

==================================================================

All the poles are favoring Erdogan to win this in first round (Inshallah he will!). :yay:

All of the latest polls showing that Erdogan is leading my massive margin and is consistently polling above 52% in almost all polls.

e5atnIl.png

Hopefully, this man will bring great prestige, honor, and prosperity to Turkey and will provide other Muslim countries around Turkey with an example to follow.

Discuss my Turkish brothers. It is a very important day in your country's recent history

Your understanding of democracy is all over ME countries, our understanding of democracy is all over Europe. Unfortunately this man takes your understanding; therefore he is actually turning Turkey into another ME country.. so do not hold your breath, dissappointment is waiting for you, as in Egypt for Muslim brotherhood.

Your understanding of democracy is all over ME countries, our understanding of democracy is all over Europe. Unfortunately this man takes your understanding; therefore he is actually turning Turkey into another ME country.. so do not hold your breath, dissappointment is waiting for you, as in Egypt for Muslim brotherhood.

Erdogan has performed well in past decade, no?

Also, disappointment in Egypt were dumb Egyptians who brought back Mubarak Regime in the form of Sisi, not MB.

MB weren't even given a chance.

You foreign Erdogan lovers are so dumb and blind. You are so into him because he's the saviour of the shitty Islamic world that you dont see that he is actually a prick that is jailing journalists, seizing and selling companies to his fellows, censoring the media and stealing billions of euros.

OH LOOK HE SAID SOMETHING AGAINST ISRAEL OMG. Fools.

The longer I think about it, the more it makes sense. He is the perfect leader for the Muslim world, he has all the qualifications needed.

You foreign Erdogan lovers are so dumb and blind. You are so into him because he's the saviour of the shitty Islamic world that you dont see that he is actually a prick that is jailing journalists, seizing and selling companies to his fellows, censoring the media and stealing billions of euros.

The longer I think about it, the more it makes sense. He is the perfect leader for the Muslim world, he has all the qualifications needed.
Do he has a brother in politics too?

And whom do you expect to be liked, its clear erdogan will get the elections in one turn . Do you expect ihsanoglu to be president ? come on he even couldnt known national anthem .

İ dont like and support erdogan, nor i never voted ever once on AKP ,but sorry this time its clear who will win :D

Who do you think is gonna win & who are turks supporting
Erdogan will win, İhsanoglu is too weak candidate, cant have a good speech, havent lived in turkey for years and grown up and egypt. doesnt have "enough" qualification in mind of most turkish people. he will be just voted with unified political groups just because their common candidate is him.
if there was a stronger candidate instead of ihsanoglu , he would win .

i feel damn sleeeepppy while listening ihsanoglu's speech:lazy2:

hahaha...most of us go over-the-top in praising erdogan infront of turks like you because we know how much it pisses you off :D

Moreover, we ALL know that it is TURKS who elect him again and again..and his party wins even from Istanbul and other coastal centers that are 'liberal' and 'urbanized'

Erdogan is the greatest leader of Modern Turkish Republic. That's a fact.

Look at his track record. NEVER lost an election/referendum in his 10 years plus rule...

And is all set to become first-ever President elected by popular vote.

Very good Mashallah :D

And whom do you expect to be liked, its clear erdogan will get the elections in one turn . Do you expect ihsanoglu to be president ? come on he even couldnt known national anthem .

İ dont like and support erdogan, nor i never voted ever once on AKP ,but sorry this time its clear who will win :D

Erdogan will win, İhsanoglu is too weak candidate, cant have a good speech, havent lived in turkey for years and grown up and egypt. doesnt have "enough" qualification in mind of most turkish people. he will be just voted with unified political groups just because their common candidate is him.
if there was a stronger candidate instead of ihsanoglu , he would win .

i feel damn sleeeepppy while listening ihsanoglu's speech:lazy2:

Do you think there is anybody that can defeat Erdogan right now? o_O

If I could vote I would have voted Ekmeleddin.

Why can't u vote? Still 11 years old? :D

Back
Top Bottom