What's new

Lahore turns festive as Metro Bus service opens

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
metrobuslaunch-670.jpg

Metro buses seen on track after inauguration of the service in the provincial capital.

LAHORE: The Metro Bus System (MBS), arguably the country’s first rapid mass transit bus project, was launched here on Monday.

It was inaugurated by Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif at a ceremony attended by Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag, PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif and ambassadors of a number of countries.

About 45 modern buses started plying a 27km dedicated corridor from Gajjumata to Shahdra. The service is free for one month.

Construction work on the project planned by the Punjab government in the last quarter of 2011 was undertaken in March last year. The MBS route covers dozens of residential and commercial localities along the city’s main artery — Ferozepur road linking Lytton road, Jain Mandar, MAO College, Lower Mall, Civil Secretariat, Aiwan-i-Adal, Chowk Katchehry (District Courts), Shrine of Hazrat Data Ganj Bakhsh, Ravi Road and Shahdra town.

The route has 27 bus stations, nine of them built on the 8.6km long overhead bridge from Ferozepur Road/ Canal Intersection to Texali.

The Traffic Engineering and Planning Agency (TEPA), a subsidiary of the Lahore Development Authority (LDA), was entrusted with the task of constructing the MBS, a copy of the Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) of Istanbul, in collaboration with Turkish and local experts.

Since Turkey was actively facilitating the MBS, it also ensured investment from a leading Turkish firm in providing and operating 45 18-metre long articulated buses (Volvo China) the 27km pathway covered with fences. Platform, a Turkish firm, has been entrusted with the task of running the operational activities.

Speaking at the inaugural ceremony, the chief minister said people criticising the spending of “Rs70 to 80 billion” actually didn’t want to see the project which would be of great value to people who have been waiting for hours and travelling in old buses for decades. “As I have already said many a time I tell you again that we have spent only Rs29.8bn on the project which has made the people’s dream of travelling in state-of-the-art buses that never happened in the history of Pakistan,” Mr Sharif said.

The government and the Lahorites took the MBS inauguration like a festive event and a large number of people thronged the route to welcome the inaugural operations right from Gajjumata to Shahdra. The people, including government officials and PML-N workers, showered rose petals on the buses carrying distinguished guests.

The chief minister also announced Rs30 million cash rewards for all construction workers and special prizes for best workers.
He gave away appreciation certificates to senior officials, including the LDA director general, PML-N leaders, Turkish experts and local firms for timely completing the project.

Speaking on the occasion, the Turkish deputy prime minister said his country would continue to support Punjab and other provinces for launching such major innovative projects. “Turkey and Pakistan enjoy cordial relations and trust each other. The countries have helped each other on various occasions and we will continue to do so in future too,” he said.

Mr Bozdag said that although Pakistan and Turkey couldn’t promote bilateral business relations in the past, the MBS would help in promoting investment by the business community in the two countries. He called for more and more business relations among Muslim countries.

Earlier, LDA Director General Ahad Khan Cheema and Punjab Metro Bus Authority’s Managing Director Sabtain Fazal Haleem briefed the guests on salient features, cost, construction work and other matters relating to the project.

Lahore turns festive as Metro Bus service opens | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

WTH....did they got over excited ?

I read something like the bus may have offered a temporary free ride or something, I don't know, but what I do know such behavior is uncivilized and unacceptable no matter what.

I read something like the bus may have offered a temporary free ride or something, I don't know, but what I do know such behavior is uncivilized and unacceptable no matter what.
Don't they know in our sub-continent, giving any thing free causes lot of troubles. Even if they issued just 5 rps ticket, the crowd would have been very low.

About 45 modern buses started plying a 27km dedicated corridor from Gajjumata to Shahdra. The service is free for one month.

In due course public will become accustomed to the service.

Disciple is must, we are corrupt, and can't be corrected without stick or education. So till we are not educated enough, a stick should be used till we know how to be civilized...

Disciple is must, we are corrupt, and can't be corrected without stick or education. So till we are not educated enough, a stick should be used till we know how to be civilized...

I don't think education works everywhere. Its about personality as well. Our people in general are agressive like harassing women and people on the streets regularly getting into fight. Our people can understand discipline if they are sent to serve in the Army for at least 1 year. This is what South Korea and Germany do. They have to send their kids right after high school.

As much as I would like to use stick, I still think education is best, and we need to promote a culture of professionalism in Pakistan. I think Pakistani culture is too casual, Pakistan needs to promote professionalism in the culture.

Thing is if those Pakistanis in that picture were here in US I doubt they would behave that way with a bus in the US, so no excuse to behave that way in Pakistan, except that the culture tolerates it.

Pakistan has a long way to go to be modernized, and the current culture isn't helping with that.

I don't think education works everywhere. Its about personality as well. Our people in general are agressive like harassing women and people on the streets regularly getting into fight. Our people can understand discipline if they are sent to serve in the Army for at least 1 year. This is what South Korea and Germany do. They have to send their kids right after high school.

Even the Vikings were made civilized, look at Scandinavia today.

Even the Vikings were made civilized, look at Scandinavia today.

I bet the vikings were like present day Saudis. lol. Though harsh, but their laws do in fact work to put people under control.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom