What's new

Lahore Metro Train Project | News and Updates

19th-century London

During the 19th century, London was transformed into the world's largest city and capital of the British Empire. Its population expanded from 1 million in 1800 to 6.7 million a century later (1.9% average annual growth). During this period, London became a global political, financial, and trading capital. In this position, it was largely unrivaled until the latter part of the century, when Paris and New York City began to threaten its dominance.

While the city grew wealthy as Britain's holdings expanded, 19th century London was also a city of poverty, where millions lived in overcrowded and unsanitary slums

Coming of the railway

19th century London was transformed by the coming of the railways. A new network of metropolitan railways allowed for the development of suburbs in other counties. London also became home to the first subway system, which laid the foundations for the modern London Underground system.

See? This is why this country hasn't gotten anywhere, the people here are stupid enough to stubbornly stick to their vain desires by providing ludicrous arguments. Observe,

1) You are comparing the 1800s London to today's Lahore? Are you soft in the top? Your comparing a time when there was no other option for mass passenger and goods commute other than rail? Do you know when was the first car made? With which came wide paved roads, such as Lahore's? So do you need rail to transport your goods from Ichra to Shadman or can you get your butt their by road easily?

2) There will always be poverty. But were the poverty levels as high and as critical then in England as they are right now in Pakistan? Nope, not anywhere close. What did England did about those poverty levels? Invested all that it had on a Metro Train?

3) Was the British government strapped of critical funds? Nope, your article states otherwise. England at that time had more money than it could spend. Pray tell how much do we have?

4) What did England first do, built its tube (underground train)? Or invested in health, energy, education, economy? Ding, ding, ding! They first made theirs the best education system in the world, then provided their whole, yes WHOLE population with free medical care, and lets just say that the English populace has no idea what "load shedding" means.

5) Do you know what the MET was like when it was made? It was the bare essentials, not a vanity item such as what your CM wants to build. It had gas-lit wooden carriages hauled by steam locomotives.

Study: Cities can significantly boost their GDP by investing in public transport
    • Study suggests an annual economic opportunity of nearly $800 billion
    • Targeted investment in public transport secures cities' attractiveness and competitiveness
    • Copenhagen is the most cost-efficient city of the 35 evaluated
Worldwide, major cities stand to gain around $800 billion per year of economic opportunity from 2030 by upgrading their public transportation networks. This is according to a study "The Mobility Opportunity" conducted by London-based consulting firm, Credo, and presented today in Singapore. Commissioned by Siemens, the study looks at transportation networks in 35 major cities around the globe and assesses how prepared cities are to meet future challenges, including population growth and higher competition. The results: If all 35 cities studied would implement relative "best in class" standards, they stand to gain an economic benefit of roughly $238 billion annually from 2030. Extrapolating to all comparably-sized cities globally with a population of around 750,000 and greater, this suggests an economic opportunity of roughly $800 billion annually. This corresponds to about one per cent of global GDP. Today the potential benefit would be about $360 billion per year.

Transport is considered one of the major factors of a city's competitiveness. However, lack of financial resources often constrains cities' ability to invest in their transport networks. This study is unique in seeking to put an economic value on the cost of inefficient transport, thus helping cities make the case for investment. Some of the factors considered were journey times, crowding and network density, all of which impact a city's productivity. In order to have a reasonable comparison, the study groups cities into three categories to account for different levels of wealth and development. According to Credo, the most cost-efficient cities are:

• Copenhagen, Denmark (Category "Well-established cities")
    • Singapore (Category "High-density compact centers")
    • Santiago, Chile (Category "Emerging cities")
Then, Credo compared cities to the leading city in their category. The comparison enabled them to quantify the economic benefits that investments in transport would bring, such as higher productivity and new economic activity. Finally, Credo has developed some key pointers on how cities can realize the potential economic uplift. Case studies show how potential investments can pay off.

"All cities can learn from the leading cities in their category in order to close the gap of their transport networks' efficiency, reduce costs and increase productivity. Because the more efficient a city's transport network is, the more attractive the city is to business and people", commented Chris Molloy, Partner at Credo.

"The best transportation systems are the ones that move people quickly, easily, and comfortably to their destination. The leading cities are already achieving this with efficient transport networks that feature modern infrastructure, easy connections across various modes of transportation, and, above all, a clear strategy of how to meet future needs," said Roland Busch, CEO of the Siemens Sector Infrastructure & Cities and member of the Managing Board of Siemens AG.

Cities are the engines for future growth. They generate 80 percent of global economic output. However, in a globalized economy, with businesses and workforces increasingly able to relocate internationally, they must compete to offer the most attractive environment for economic activity. The study "The Mobility Opportunity" is geared toward city decision-makers around the world so that they may use its recommendations to achieve the greatest economic benefit.

:crazy:.......

The above article suggests improving the transportation system to facilitate the businesses that are and businesses that will come, making them grow and hence improving the economy. Pray tell me what is the situation of "businesses" in Pakistan right now? Are they growing? Or is your whole industry in shambles due to the energy crisis that we are going through, which we apparently cannot fix because we have no funds, funds which we are spending on the GRAND METRO FEEL GOOD TRANSPORTATION PROJECT? Tell me what is your transportation system going to transport? Thousands of unemployed youth looking for any meagre employment opportunity? Hundreds of thousands of people working for less than $2 a day? You don't have enough energy to power businesses and households in the city through a +45 C day, where will the power come for this train? What would make the economy grow more in a country which has virtually no education, no energy, no industry with an utterly ruined economy?

a) Education?
b) No energy shortage?
c) Subsidies to the local businesses?
d) Subsidized fuel?
e) A shiny new Metro Train?

What have you been smoking?

Apparently you are super infatuated with Subways/Metro Trains. Trust me they are nothing glamorous. They are dirty, filthy, crowded, filled with weirdos, shady characters and thieves. No one ever goes "Hey! I know! Today I wanna go travel through the subway!" These are not vanity items. Kindly grow up....

Lahore does need a major revamp in the public transportation system. Your bus system is a joke. The buses are over crowded, broken down, the drivers are assholes, the quality is shot, the schedules are nowhere, one could go on for ever..... If you really want to improve Lahore's public transportation system start with there. Couple it with strict traffic law enforcement and you won't need to spend anything big on public transportation for another couple of decades.

The down town areas of all the major cities in North America (New York, Chicago, Toronto) and Europe (Paris, Rome, London) have very very narrow roads and more cars than all of Lahore put together. How do they manage it? Strict and efficient traffic law enforcement and a good public bus service. Ironically in Lahore the government keeps widening the roads (concept unknown to the west), builds flyovers everywhere the CM's head turns, builds a metro bus line but does not give two jacks about traffic law enforcement or the public bus system and thus the traffic situation remains out of control. Wonder why? Oh I know, because there is no vain and juvenile pride in having proper traffic controls or a good public bus service.

ps: It was funny how after the Metro Bus started, the tv channels were interviewing people about their satisfaction with the service, people who were earning less than Rs.200/day unaware that the money spent on the bus could have doubled their earnings if invested properly.

Doubt you understood any of this, because you know 'Metro Rail' *droool*.....

Just a friendly advice, do not jump to conclusions.

I was in Pakistan just couple months ago and saw the situation. I stand by my statement.

And FYI, I've taken a course in urban issues which covered this metro topic.

CHalo bhai jan, ap khush raho, main bhi metro ki sair karta hoon!

See? This is why this country hasn't gotten anywhere, the people here are stupid enough to stubbornly stick to their vain desires by providing ludicrous arguments. Observe,

1) You are comparing the 1800s London to today's Lahore? Are you soft in the top? Your comparing a time when there was no other option for mass passenger and goods commute other than rail? Do you know when was the first car made? With which came wide paved roads, such as Lahore's? So do you need rail to transport your goods from Ichra to Shadman or can you get your butt their by road easily?

2) There will always be poverty. But were the poverty levels as high and as critical then in England as they are right now in Pakistan? Nope, not anywhere close. What did England did about those poverty levels? Invested all that it had on a Metro Train?

3) Was the British government strapped of critical funds? Nope, your article states otherwise. England at that time had more money than it could spend. Pray tell how much do we have?

4) What did England first do, built its tube (underground train)? Or invested in health, energy, education, economy? Ding, ding, ding! They first made theirs the best education system in the world, then provided their whole, yes WHOLE population with free medical care, and lets just say that the English populace has no idea what "load shedding" means.

5) Do you know what the MET was like when it was made? It was the bare essentials, not a vanity item such as what your CM wants to build. It had gas-lit wooden carriages hauled by steam locomotives.

:crazy:.......

The above article suggests improving the transportation system to facilitate the businesses that are and businesses that will come, making them grow and hence improving the economy. Pray tell me what is the situation of "businesses" in Pakistan right now? Are they growing? Or is your whole industry in shambles due to the energy crisis that we are going through, which we apparently cannot fix because we have no funds, funds which we are spending on the GRAND METRO FEEL GOOD TRANSPORTATION PROJECT? Tell me what is your transportation system going to transport? Thousands of unemployed youth looking for any meagre employment opportunity? Hundreds of thousands of people working for less than $2 a day? You don't have enough energy to power businesses and households in the city through a +45 C day, where will the power come for this train? What would make the economy grow more in a country which has virtually no education, no energy, no industry with an utterly ruined economy?

a) Education?
b) No energy shortage?
c) Subsidies to the local businesses?
d) Subsidized fuel?
e) A shiny new Metro Train?

What have you been smoking?

Apparently you are super infatuated with Subways/Metro Trains. Trust me they are nothing glamorous. They are dirty, filthy, crowded, filled with weirdos, shady characters and thieves. No one ever goes "Hey! I know! Today I wanna go travel through the subway!" These are not vanity items. Kindly grow up....

Lahore does need a major revamp in the public transportation system. Your bus system is a joke. The buses are over crowded, broken down, the drivers are assholes, the quality is shot, the schedules are nowhere, one could go on for ever..... If you really want to improve Lahore's public transportation system start with there. Couple it with strict traffic law enforcement and you won't need to spend anything big on public transportation for another couple of decades.

The down town areas of all the major cities in North America (New York, Chicago, Toronto) and Europe (Paris, Rome, London) have very very narrow roads and more cars than all of Lahore put together. How do they manage it? Strict and efficient traffic law enforcement and a good public bus service. Ironically in Lahore the government keeps widening the roads (concept unknown to the west), builds flyovers everywhere the CM's head turns, builds a metro bus line but does not give two jacks about traffic law enforcement or the public bus system and thus the traffic situation remains out of control. Wonder why? Oh I know, because there is no vain and juvenile pride in having proper traffic controls or a good public bus service.

ps: It was funny how after the Metro Bus started, the tv channels were interviewing people about their satisfaction with the service, people who were earning less than Rs.200/day unaware that the money spent on the bus could have doubled their earnings if invested properly.

Doubt you understood any of this, because you know 'Metro Rail' *droool*.....

First of all Lahore's population is between 9-12 million, more than cities of New York, Chicago, Toronto, Paris, Rome and London and on top of that majority belong to lower and middle class who either don't own an automobile or simply can't afford to have it.

Not sure where you think are the widening of the roads as an average road in Lahore is literally no more than 3 lanes. Better you not bring North American cities into this since they are models of worst development styles. Literally the highway culture started from there and they have created a system in which every individual is forced to buy an automobile to get from point A to point B. Although Lahore is no perfect city since its still developing, I wish you revisit the city or look at the map. The downtown is perhaps arguably even more dense and narrower than New York.

London was not built in one day !

Recalling what I said in my last post, 18th and 19th century London was witnessing poverty while it got its tube system. In addition, in fact things were so bad that it was once a sh!t hole of the world. Rather than making tall claims of their education system, I'm more interested to know if you can come up with facts and figures of that time.

The establishment of a national system of education came late in England mainly because of the social, economic and religious climate of the century.

1. 1. The higher classes of society had no interest in advocating the cultural development of the working classes. On the contrary, the effects of the revolutionary spirit in Europe reinforced conservative attitudes that were certainly not conducive to advocating the development of the critical faculties of the people as a whole.

2. Neither did the vast majority of the working class have any real interest in education. Child labour was common practice in this period and working-class families were very reluctant to give up the earnings of their children for the benefit of education. The employment of children continued to increase even after 1850.

3. Also the effect of Protestantism, with its emphasis on individualism, personal salvation, the private reading and interpretation of Scripture, ran contrary to any sort of collectivist thought.

4. Religious conflict also delayed the establishment of a national system of education. One example of this can be seen in the reaction to the clauses regarding education in the 1843 Factory Bill. There was violent opposition on the part of nonconformists and Catholics alike because, according to the Bill, headmasters had to be of the Church of England. Furthermore, the children were to be taught the catechism and be present at liturgical celebrations as well as service on Sundays. The Bill failed.

5. The idea of secular education had never been popular during the century. Education had almost exclusively been under the control of the established church. Furthermore, we should not forget the conflict between secular and religious thought that characterised the century, especially the latter half. Given the cultural and religious climate of the century it became obvious that any nondenominational system of education would be well nigh impossible. It was only in the 20th century, with the rise of indifference towards religious teaching, that general nondenominational schooling became possible. Denominational education was further reinforced by the increase in the Catholic population due to the wave of Irish immigrants during and following the Great Famine in Ireland (1845-50).

THE HISTORY OF EDUCATION IN ENGLAND THE NINETEENTH CENTURY EDUCATION IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

Now in my last post, I had posted list of things from other sectors the Punjab government is working in. Without a doubt I can say it is progressing in the right direction and continues to embarrass other provinces.

While I agree more needs to be done to improve traffic law enforcement, however, I do not believe it changes my argument of mass transit systems. Sadly the view of some that its 'smelly, crowded, weird' literally proves there are attempts in society to create disparity, divisions, and negativity. Maybe you don't realize, rich or poor, at the end of the day they are all humans. I give the West the credit where they deserve. Today they have more humanity than us.

So its okay for rich people to get fuel subsidies for their automobiles and generators and not okay for public transport due to being poor man's label ? I hope you realize majority of the world thinks differently.

Employment comes with projects like these as It needs various different types of Engineers, etc.If you are so against this project tell me when someone gets education where do you think he or she will go to work ?

I doubt its Rs.200/day, but even if you consider this, you should know the people were spending between Rs.60-120 on rickshaws and climbing on rooftops of wagons . Now with just Rs.20 they are not only saving money but also getting efficient services and commuting in less duration. Again if you haven't read in my last post, public transport plays a major part in a city's economics and gdp.

Last edited:
Yaar Bada Purana Post quote kiya hai,I had to search first & see if i had commented on something like this
On topic Power Projects,Improving the Law & Order,Reducing the time for Project Clearnce & Improving Transportation [PR & Highways] Should be the top priority.Metro Rail will surely help in de-congesting the City but Industrial Dev should be the 1st & Only priority at the moment.
Some Egs
Industrialists furious over prolonged load shedding in Faisalabad
Rating agency! Moody’s warns against political instability in Pakistan

Buddy since you posted Moddy's link, here is what it says now
Moody's upgrades Pakistan's bond ratings to B3 with a stable outlook

All chinese projects would be build operate transfer basis, basically chinese will invest and operate until they cover their costs and make certain level of profit after which it would be transferred to the host country in this case Pakistan

All chinese projects would be build operate transfer basis, basically chinese will invest and operate until they cover their costs and make certain level of profit after which it would be transferred to the host country in this case Pakistan
I read somewhere they'll keep certain projects for 30 years then transfer. By then it'd be quite expensive to maintain and with maybe 10-20 years of life left. Sadly we've to go for it because we need these projects, because they'll benefit the population but give us no profits directly.

These projects have a life of 20-30 years so be sure to get them back before it also you have handed over the gwadar port for 40 Years right?

CHalo bhai jan, ap khush raho, main bhi metro ki sair karta hoon!
Why not to donate those 20 Rs to SKMCH in Peshwar which is still awaiting some money from keyboard warriors?

Why not to donate those 20 Rs to SKMCH in Peshwar which is still awaiting some money from keyboard warriors?

I see it's another pathetic attempt to divert the argument towards PTI and Imran Khan. Good luck my friend!

I see it's another pathetic attempt to divert the argument towards PTI and Imran Khan. Good luck my friend!
Pathetic attempt? I actually tried to show the hollowness. Please go and check that famous Tameer-e-School and see for yourself that how the temporary ubaal went bust with those schools still awaiting money...

Pathetic attempt? I actually tried to show the hollowness. Please go and check that famous Tameer-e-School and see for yourself that how the temporary ubaal went bust with those schools still awaiting money...

Yes pathetic...

Wanna discuss PTI projects or SKMCH, make another thread about it.

Don't want to take the shine of such a shiny new metro project.

[
Yes pathetic...

Wanna discuss PTI projects or SKMCH, make another thread about it.

Don't want to take the shine of such a shiny new metro project.
SKCMHs is not about PTI its about the people and their dedication to the cause of Imran Khan....I don't know why you guys find it so hard to grab. More driven by Bugz'e Muawiya than Hub-e Ali.

[

SKCMHs is not about PTI its about the people and their dedication to the cause of Imran Khan....I don't know why you guys find it so hard to grab. More driven by Bugz'e Muawiya than Hub-e Ali.

Itnay chalak na bano please...

No one here is a toddler that you are going to fool.

Why the heck did you mention SKMCH? Where did it come from? Where was the link?

Why not mention some other hospital, maybe i'll go and give the same donation to the donation box in Benazir Hospital or PIMS or somewhere...why SKMCH?

Because the common link is of Imran Khan and PTI. That's all there is.

THen you mentioned Tameer-e-School program. If it isn't related to PTI then pray tell me what? How? Why did it come into this thread?

This will be my last reply here...wanna discuss these projects, make another thread.

Meanwhile I'll keep on contributing to this wonderful first world project...Pakistan...Taraqqi ki rah par gamzan!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City to lose 620 trees for Orange Line train

LAHORE: Construction of Lahore Orange Line Metro Train Project will cause cutting down of 620 grown-up trees on its 27.1km long route from Dera Gujran to Ali Town.

The trees and herbs planned to be cut are of various kinds, including Arjun, Dhak, Mahwa, Bahara, Alstonia, Ashoke, Sheesham, Alata, Kenair, Weeping Willow, Peepal, Simbal, Berri, Sukh Chain and Poplar.

The project executing agency, Lahore Development Authority, has pledged planting 6,200 new saplings in place of the felled ones at various spots of the route and its surroundings, according to the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) report made by the LDA in association with the National Engineering Services Pakistan (Nespak).

Also read: ‘Environmental and economic sustainability’ of CPEC assured

The EIA report is to be discussed and shared under the environment laws with the people from various walks of life in a public hearing scheduled to be held by the LDA on June 30 at Alhamra Cultural Complex, Qadhafi Stadium.

The project to consume 74MW electricity as well
The report says the entire operation of metro trains, which will start at 7am and conclude at 10pm daily, will consume 74MW electricity that will be supplied by the Lahore Electricity Supply Company (Lesco). In this regard, the report mentions, two power substations, one at the UET (GT Road) and the other at Shahnoor (Multan Road) will be constructed to ensure uninterrupted operation of the trains—each having capacity of 1,000 passengers. The operation includes running of trains, signaling control, automated fare collection machines, offices, etc.

“At the starting and ending points, Dera Gujran and Ali Town, two depots have been planned to be established where various facilities, such as maintenance of trains, will be available. The design speed of the proposed train is 70km/hr but the scheduled speed will remain between 30-70 on the 27.1km long route that include 1.72km portion to be built underground and the rest as elevated.”

Among 26 total train stations of the Rs160.395bn project, two will be constructed underground (one will single storey and another two-storey with concourse on the ground).

The report terms the project area as falling in Seismic Zone 2A which represents peak ground acceleration from 0.08 to 0.16g that is a low to moderate damage zone. Land use of the project area is mainly commercial and residential with some educational, medical and recreational facilities. The report estimates Rs5.6m to be incurred on environment related costs, including Rs576,000 for environmental monitoring, Rs4m for tree plantation and Rs100,000 for environmental training.

The report indicates the project will require acquisition of land which will result in loss of infrastructure; commercial activities, disturbance to people and change in the land use.

“However, the compensation for the structures, plots, private and public properties, etc. would be done by the government as per law,” the report assures.

Published in Dawn June 26th, 2015

City to lose 620 trees for Orange Line train - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

A metro in lahore can boost the productivity and economy. You can dump all your money on your poor and see it disappearing into a blackhole, or allocate funds that will bring in more money. You can spend part of that money on poor.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom