What's new

Kashmir: Facebook faces criticism for blocking profiles, removing posts

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Kashmir: Facebook faces criticism for blocking profiles, removing posts
A video of Hurriyat Conference Chairman Syed Ali Geelani's arrest by the police last Wednesday posted by a local daily Kashmir Monitor was removed for violation.
SHARES
Amid information clampdown in Kashmir, Facebook has faced allegations of censorship in Kashmir as users have reported removal of their content and alleged the social network has disabled their accounts for posting “pro-Kashmir” updates and photos.

A number of users including a local English daily posted screenshots of the Facebook messages informing the netizens their posts have been removed for violating Facebook’s “Community Standards.” Users keeping militant Burhan Wani’s photos as profile pictures also complained the social media website had taken down the pictures.

A video of Hurriyat Conference Chairman Syed Ali Geelani’s arrest by the police last Wednesday posted by a local daily Kashmir Monitor was removed for violation. “The day after we uploaded the video a message was received the video has been removed. It was surprising because this has never happened before,” said Mubashir Bukhari, a journalist with the paper.

Dibyesh Anand, a professor in International Relations at University of Westminster said he was blocked from posting on Facebook last week and after he complained he was told the post was accidentally removed by a member of their team. “Facebook deleted a perfectly polite post for “violating Facebook community standards” and blocked me from posting for 24 hours. My hypothesis is that it is highly unprofessional “super patriotic” Indians working in Facebook who are responsible,” Anand wrote on his profile.

Facebook also disabled the account of Huma Dar,a lecturer at University of California, Berkely for her pro-Burhan posts. “Facebook censors news from besieged #Kashmir, takes down articles & pictures, and disables accounts! #BurhanWani,” Dar posted.

A Kashmir-based satire page Jajeer Talkies with 27500 plus likes was also blocked on July 13 and later restored albeit without any content. “The accounts of all 3 admins were also disabled, giving us no chance whatsoever to appeal or respond to this deletion,” a petition, put up the owners on change.org asking for full restoration of the page, reads.

An email query regarding the “censorship” sent to Facebook went unanswered.

Facebook has faced criticism for removing the user content. “The way Facebook has been taking down some posts related to Kashmir and even blocking certain accounts, it seems Mark Zukerberg has taken over as the Thanedar (SHO) of some police station in Kashmir,” Tariq Jameel, a user posted.

Authorities in Valley have suspended the mobile services including internet and banned newspaper publication in Kashmir. BSNL broadband is the only internet service working in Valley.

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...for-blocking-profiles-removing-posts-2922025/

Yeah, one can't make a page on "Indian bloodshed in Kashmir" but could allow celebrations of "Draw Muhammed (P.B U.H) day" where hundreds of sentiments of Muslims were hurt.
However, if one raises on going issues regarding the Kashmir issue than FB has issues.
However, why I am expecting anything from FB or anyone else. I disagreed with their policy and closed my account almost 7 years ago and I wouldn't have made it in the beginning unless my close friend forced me to make one.I have after all that closed my account and decided to join Pakistani website.
Friends, if you disagree with some website then get rid of it and look for ones like you and quit expecting them to understand your position.
Besides all that, FB was not meant for running political groups.It was simply designed for youth to stay connected and look for ones they like.

Regards

https://www.facebook.com/hamzaaliabbasi/posts/1143984842331855

Hamza Ali Abbasi
2 hrs ·
Dear Facebook, thankyou for lifting the ban, also, ‪#‎iamBurhanWani‬‪#‎KashmirSiege‬ ‪#‎KashmirKillings‬ ‪#‎FreeKashmir‬ . The likes of Mark Zuckerberg and west is trying to define for us that who is & is not a terrorist. Either we can be slaves and agree with them that Palestinians and Kashmiris are terrorists and Israel & India are peace loving countries, or we can standby the truth and tell them that Bush is a terrorist, Blair is a terrorist, Israel and Modi Govt are both zionist terrorists. Stand by Kashmir, speak for them, thats the least we can do.

I have been awarded facebook blocked for 30 days due to responding against hate-filled comment of a indian rapistani. There has to be a place for us to complain and go after facebook this cannot be justified

Back
Top Bottom