What's new

Karachi Is Now The Largest City in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
List of cities proper by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this Karachi is third, by City Proper. Karachi has no suburbs like other cities. The entire city is a metropolitan.

The above info seems outdated since by most Pakistani estimates the city population is indeed nearing 18 million. By the next census it would probably become official.

Malir n all have all been absorbed by Karachi and are no longer considered suburbs. The stats on most websites is not up to date. Google map it, see it for yourself, Karachi is huge.

List of cities proper by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this Karachi is third, by City Proper. Karachi has no suburbs like other cities. The entire city is a metropolitan.

The above info seems outdated since by most Pakistani estimates the city population is indeed nearing 18 million. By the next census it would probably become official.

Malir n all have all been absorbed by Karachi and are no longer considered suburbs. The stats on most websites is not up to date. Google map it, see it for yourself, Karachi is huge.

Karachi is a big metropolis, with eighteen towns and several cantonment areas within it.

Haq's Musings: Eleven Days in Karachi, Pakistan

In 2010, Delhi agglomeration has 15.926 million people.

Its 17.025 .

According to this Karachi is third, by City Proper. Karachi has no suburbs like other cities. The entire city is a metropolitan

The figure for "CITY" pop. of Delhi and Mumbai in wiki is closer to the estimates given by citymayors but there is a large variation b/w the figure for "CITY" pop. of Karachi in wiki and the estimate given by citymayor . ( The source for wiki is Sindh Bureau of Statistics and projects the pop. as on 2008 besides Including three rural towns : Gadap Town, Bin Qasim Town, and Kiamari Town, as well as six cantonments : Clifton Cantonment, Faisal Cantonment, Karachi Cantonment, Korangi Creek Cantonment, Malir Cantonment and Manora Cantonment ) . The UN figures for pop. of city agglomeration appear far accurate .

In 2020 , both Delhi and Mumbai would have a pop. of 25.97 mn and 25.83 mn resp. ( Growth rate b/w 2006-2020 for Delhi, 3.48 , being higher than the one for Karachi , 3.19 )

City Mayors: World's largest urban areas in 2020 (1)

The urbanisation in Pakistan , although the highest in South Asia , between 2006-2020 out of 100 fastest growing cities/urban areas in the world 24 are in India .

City Mayors: World's fastest growing urban areas (1)

In terms of area, Karachi is also a massive city, much bigger than indian counterparts and even some western counterparts (if you only count the city area).

National Public Radio(NPR), an American radio network, did a series last year on a massive wave of urbanization sweeping the world's emerging economies such as Brazil, China, India and Pakistan. It chose to start with Karachi, which it describes as Pakistan's "economic lifeline" and financial and industrial "powerhouse" that produces 25% of Pakistan's GDP, and calls it "one of the largest and most crowded cities of the world". It has a segment on Shehri, the activist group fighting big-money developers.

Haq's Musings: Karachi: The Urban Frontier

In terms of area, Karachi is also a massive city, much bigger than indian counterparts and even some western counterparts (if you only count the city area).

That contributes to higher population density Indian urban agglomerations of Delhi , Mumbai and Kolkata as compared to Karachi . The wiki figures are pretty confusing as they give the Area of Karachi in both 'List of cities proper by population' and 'List of urban agglomerations by population ' as same ( ~3530 sq km) but different in 'List of metropolitan areas by population' ( 1100 sp km ) .

Anyhow , the population figures are old , inconsistent with that of the Area ( major ambiguity being the population and area figure for Karachi in Metropolitan Area by population list ) and not the 2010 estimates .

Of these, Mumbai, Dhaka and Delhi also have the dubious distinction of making Mercer's list of world's dirtiest cities. In another survey, Mercer has ranked Karachi as the fourth cheapest city for expatriates.

@ Asim Aquil

I guess the person starting the thread must have stuck to Population and Population density by not bringing in the state of Sanitation and Cost of Living under the scope of discussion . Cost of Living has to do with economics and GDP comes under Economics .

Last edited:
Here are some figures for Karachi population I got from the editors of citymayors.com:

YEAR Urban Population
1856 56,875
1872 56,753
1881 73,560
1891 105,199
1901 136,297
1911 186,771
1921 244,162
1931 300,799
1941 435,887
1951 1,068,459
1961 1,912,598
1972 3,426,310
1981 5,208,132
1998 9,269,265
2006 13,969,284
2007 14,500,000

Since Karachi population has been growing at about 4-6% a year lately, the 18 million figure for Karachi population in 2009 makes sense.

Last edited:
Hey indians guys..... what's the problem? Shouldn't you be the tech geeks?
If your scale is area than go to google and measure Karachi vs. what so ever
and post your measurements as proof.

Last time i compared mexico city with Karachi they were almost same size... but i don't know why the name of mexico city is missing!

Here are some figures for Karachi population I got from the editors of citymayors.com:

YEAR Urban Population
1856 56,875
1872 56,753
1881 73,560
1891 105,199
1901 136,297
1911 186,771
1921 244,162
1931 300,799
1941 435,887
1951 1,068,459
1961 1,912,598
1972 3,426,310
1981 5,208,132
1998 9,269,265
2006 13,969,284
2007 14,500,000

Since Karachi population has been growing at about 4-6% a year lately, the 18 million figure for Karachi population in 2009 makes sense.

The population or population density isnt under question . The question is What defines Karachi ?
The metro population in city mayors for Mumbai is less than the population of city itself , does that make sense ??:disagree:

With rapid urbanization in Pakistan, Karachi has become the world's biggest city with a metro area population of 18 million people, according to Citymayors stats published recently.

Karachi is followed by Mumbai, Delhi, Buenos Aires, Seoul, Jakarta, Manila, Sao Paulo, Shanghai and Istanbul making up the top 10 list. Bangladesh capital Dhaka is at number 12, barely missing a top 10 slot. Of these, Mumbai, Dhaka and Delhi also have the dubious distinction of making Mercer's list of world's dirtiest cities. In another survey, Mercer has ranked Karachi as the fourth cheapest city for expatriates.

The list of the world’s largest cities, by land area, is headed by New York Metro, with a total area of 8,700 square kilometers. Tokyo/Yokohama is in second place with almost 7,000 square kilometers, followed by ten cities from the United States. Mumbai (Bombay), with a population density of almost 30,000 people per square kilometer, is the world’s most crowded city. Kolkata (Calcutta), Karachi and Lagos follow behind.

Haq's Musings: Karachi Tops List of World's Largest Cities

Well, the largest city by population, and I dont think its an achievement. Not proud to see Mumbai in it either.PM me when they list the most developed green city in the world.

let me see who can disagree with me on this!

The population or population density isnt under question . The question is What defines Karachi ?
The metro population in city mayors for Mumbai is less than the population of city itself , does that make sense ??:disagree:

I don't know how Mumbai is organized. But I do know that Karachi has 18 towns and three cantonments in it. That's what constitutes the city.

Haq's Musings: Eleven Days in Karachi, Pakistan

Karachi Dreams Big - Inner Workings of the World's Megacities - TIME

Hey indians guys..... what's the problem? Shouldn't you be the tech geeks?
If your scale is area than go to google and measure Karachi vs. what so ever
and post your measurements as proof.

Last time i compared mexico city with Karachi they were almost same size... but i don't know why the name of mexico city is missing!

Exactly , the sources being quoted are Insufficient and Ambiguous .
The area definitely matters as it has to do with the population density which in a third world country like ours having BAD GOVERNANCE and OLD INFRASTRUCTURE effects the state of sanitation .

The Mercer's city rankings 2009 ( quoted earlier in the thread )give higher rankings to indian cities over their pakistani counterparts and that should be the end of it .
Even if Karachi has outgrown Mumbai , I would definitely like to compare their Population density figures . Will have to wait for 2011 , I suppose !

So, let us bash the source.

What the hell is citymayor.com?

Need better sources? How about UN's Population Division data?

In 2010, Delhi agglomeration has 15.926 million people, and Mumbai 20.072 million people. Karachi agglomeration has 13.052 million people.

World Urbanization Prospects: The 2007 Revision Population Database

And again, Mr. Riaz very happily picks certain points which seem favorable for Pakistan and shows India in bad light.

He happily points out Mercer ranking Delhi and Mumbai among the top 25 dirtiest cities in Asia but fails to point out the fact that the very same Mercer ranked Karachi 3rd least safe major city to live in (Karachi was ranked 213 out 215 in personal safety rankings) -

Mercer survey releases quality of living global city rankings | Mercer | AMEinfo.com

And now for the icing on cake, in 2009 that very same Mercer ranked Delhi and Mumbai 145 and 148 respectively in terms of quality of living and Karachi was ranked 186.

http://www.eltiempo.com/colombia/bogota/ARCHIVO/ARCHIVO-5104389-0.doc

So, Mr. Riaz ignored these two key statistics released by Mercer but only highlighted that in which Karachi was ranked better compared to Indian cities.

Lame.

You are too much obsessed with Karachi, it seems.

Mr Riaz has taken in view a certain criteria (Metro
population in this case) to rank the cities. and Karachi turns out to be the leader. Had he consider any other criteria the results have been different.

There is no problem in being specific about a certain criterion. You are welcome to consider another and rank Delhi or whatever at the top.

It is just like me saying if we consider Research and Development ABC company is on the top, if we consider investment DEF is on the top, and if we consider income GHI might find the find top slot.

As for the blogger, yes you could have refuted his findings if he had conceived them from at his own and had not done any credible research.

So dont get too obsessed, it is not guud for your health!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom