What's new

K-8 Karakorum a ground attack aircraft possibility

Assumption being that there is AS over the battlezone.
Such is the case over Iraq, Afghanistan and FATA.
and in such cases, such cheaper COIN platforms give a better performance compared to their faster more survivable contemporaries.

On the other end of the spectrum.. a B-52 armed with over 60 JDAM's is also a good CoIn platform, if there is a good FAC available.

Assumption being that there is AS over the battlezone.
Such is the case over Iraq, Afghanistan and FATA.
and in such cases, such cheaper COIN platforms give a better performance compared to their faster more survivable contemporaries.

On the other end of the spectrum.. a B-52 armed with over 60 JDAM's is also a good CoIn platform, if there is a good FAC available.

Yeah..I guess it does makes sense then. When someone earlier in the thread mentioned emergency situation,I expected a war where PAF fighters were outnumbered.
But these planes would still be susceptible to ground fire. Cheap does not mean expendable. Besides you need them to train pilots. The Chinese drones seem like better options. You're buying about 50 of them right now.

Slow and low flying has got its place and time. There is a good reason why the have deployed Apaches in Libya after months of Rafales, Tiffies and Falcons expending serious bomb loads.

Yeah..I guess it does makes sense then. When someone earlier in the thread mentioned emergency situation,I expected a war where PAF fighters were outnumbered.
But these planes would still be susceptible to ground fire. Cheap does not mean expendable. Besides you need them to train pilots. The Chinese drones seem like better options. You're buying about 50 of them right now.

Well, they will always be vulnerable to small arms fire..
The best option for a COIN support in my view is always the gunship.. something like the C-27J.
Provides direct fire via a variety of weapons.. and usually high enough to avoid being hit by small arms fire.

But for operations like in fata we don't need real hightech platforms we just need a plane which can carry 3-4 240 kg bombs so k8 is good platform and if u talk about radar it can be equipped with low end radar.

Bolivia Set To Receive 6 Karakorum Combat Jets From China
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 18 Jan 2011 19:50
Print Email
Bookmark and Share

LA PAZ, Bolivia - Bolivia is set to receive six Chinese-made combat aircraft to be used to fight drug trafficking, the head of the Bolivian Air Force said Jan. 18.

Air Force Commander Gen. Tito Gandarilla told local journalists that the K-8 Karakorum jets are scheduled to be delivered in April, at a cost of $58 million.
Related Topics

Americas
Asia & Pacific Rim
Air Warfare

The aircraft, bought through a loan from China, will be the first of their kind for Bolivia, which currently has only training and freight aircraft.

Gandarilla explained that the jets "have a lifespan of 15 to 20 years" and have the ability to intercept illegal crafts that "in Bolivian airspace without authorization."

The aircraft will be used mainly around Cochabamba in central Bolivia, where there is heavy production of coca plants used to make cocaine.

The Bolivian government also plans to buy 10 Russian-built cargo helicopters for use by the police.

In 2008, President Evo Morales ordered the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to leave after accusing it of having had a hand in political unrest and drug-trafficking in Bolivia.

The U.S. State Department has identified Bolivia as a major drug-transit or drug-producing country.

what if pakistan uses it as a small interceptor for aircrafts like transport or ground attack aircraft well it has a
Armament
Guns: 1× 23 mm cannon pod (mounted on centreline hardpoint)
Hardpoints: 5, total capacity 1,000 kg (2,205 lb) external fuel and ordnance:
4× under-wing, capacity 250 kg each
1× under-fuselage (23 mm cannon pod mount)
Rockets: 57 mm unguided rocket pods, capacity 12 rounds
Air-to-air missiles: PL-5, PL-7
Bombs: 200 kg, 250 kg unguided bomb, BL755 cluster bomb
that means it can carry first 2 mark 80 series bombs :
Mark 81 - nominal weight 250 pounds (113 kg)
Mark 82 - nominal weight 500 pounds (227 kg)
what do you say guys am i right or wrong but A5 fantan had also mach 1 speed !! a10 thunder bolt has 800km/h so is k8 karakorum!!

THOUGH ABOVE ARTICLE IS OLD BUT A NEWS!!
It's almost 2017 now, I still don't think Bolivia has these aircraft operational. The skies of Bolivia are OPEN

I have always said that PAF should use the aircraft in the WOT..

I copy that. I have said it a few times that the PAF should upgrade it to a light jet, use JFT's radar in it and some counter measures. Leave it sub-sonic to save the cost of changing engine and controls. The radar addition would allow it to carry two BVR missiles (SD-10's). That packs a huge punch in terms of adding another 80 BVR-able jets. Once you lock onto an enemy jet, the BVR missile doesn't care if the launching platform was supersonic or not. It will go and find its target.

This essentially increases the BVR force of the PAF by another 20-30% and still extremely cheap on top of it.

If pakistan can turn K-8 into a A-10 wardog will be a great punch for army
a-10-19990422-f-7910d-517.jpg

K-8-Karakorum_AFZ-2104E.jpg

This is what I've been suggesting for a while, but with the JFTs radar to carry 2 SD-10 BVR missiles. That would add like 80 BVR jets to the PAF's inventory and will create a much larger BVR force much quicker.

In an article written on insightcrime (written in Oct 24th) it states...

Bolivia is aware of the air traffic passing unmolested over its head. On April 22, 2014, President Morales signed the "Law of Security and Defense of the Bolivian Airspace," which allows for the shooting down of drug flights. But since Bolivia lacks the radar to track such flights and the fighter aircraft to intercept them, the law is little more than a statement of intent.

......The government is planning to deploy several mobile radar platforms in key areas where drug trafficking is concentrated, principally the departments of Beni, Santa Cruz, and Pando...... However, there is no firm date on the purchase of such equipment, let alone its deployment, and it would seem that the traffickers have several more years of clear skies. "

:triniti:

So it would seem, the planes they purchased are parked somewhere, collecting dust..

Back
Top Bottom