What's new

JF17 BLK4-----Major Upgrade & Replacement For F16's

Kindly provide the exact links so that i can go through. or write a summary line.

Here you can search the posts

https://defence.pk/members/mastankhan.309/

I think we should keep the things to Blk-3. After that thought should be given to FC-31 kind of platform with either double engine option or a single engine more powerful option. In 5-10 years time frame hopefully chinese engine tech would have improved much more and they would be producing reliable engines.

Instead of wasting resources, time & money on Blk 4, start thinking about a new platform like FC-31s.

Sir,

That is an absolute lack of tactical thinking and understanding the issue----.

Please explain how the J31 be placed in the scenario and DO WHAT?

Can the JF-17 block 1 be upgraded into a block 3 @OverLoad

Hi,

There is no BLK1 now---all are BLK 2's----and yes---they can be upgraded to the BLK 3 standards.

[QUOTE="MastanKhan, post: 8235207, member: 30

Hi,

There is no BLK1 now---all are BLK 2's----and yes---they can be upgraded to the BLK 3 standards.[/QUOTE]
If this is the case, then the more the merrier.kudos

In the near term? Change in radar, increase in the number of compatible weapon systems, small things. In the long term? We may see some major air frame changes, similar to what happened to the F-16; From conformable fuel tanks, to better material used to build the air frame, we may even see a more powerful engine (which has been heavily hinted at for block IV).
Thank you. I hope you were not proposing an enlarged JFT. I think what you have suggested is achievable within the confines of the current size. We have talked in the past about moving the rear wheels on to the wings and utilize the space for additional fuel. I am not sure whether there is a need to have 11 hardpoints although 3 more are imminently doable with the chin inlet one being designated for a SAR/other POD. China to the best of my knowledge has not demonstrated the skills to manufacture/install CFTs. I honestly dont know whether the PAF will adopt the idea or not. Thenew and more powerful engine and EW suite is probably going to happen on bl. 3 along with an AESA Radar.
A

F17 has design limits just like any other design from block 2 to block 3 integration will be done more of a plug and play devices like IRST/Rec Pods etc .In my view as an Engineer we dont need to alter the design but CFT can be brilliant addition releasing some hardpoints and increasing the loiter timing . As you increase hardpoints engine has to be tuned for additional similarly structure needs to strengthen more .Frankly i dont want to see more than 150 F17 in any case but all with AESA/IRST/IFR and optional CFTs

Thank you. I hope you were not proposing an enlarged JFT. I think what you have suggested is achievable within the confines of the current size. We have talked in the past about moving the rear wheels on to the wings and utilize the space for additional fuel. I am not sure whether there is a need to have 11 hardpoints although 3 more are imminently doable with the chin inlet one being designated for a SAR/other POD. China to the best of my knowledge has not demonstrated the skills to manufacture/install CFTs. I honestly dont know whether the PAF will adopt the idea or not. Thenew and more powerful engine and EW suite is probably going to happen on bl. 3 along with an AESA Radar.
A
Oh, don't worry. I actively avoid fanboying and wishlisting to any degree.

With all due respect meri jaan, We're all "fanboys" here. You wouldn't be here if you weren't. Don't like what you read? MOVE ON!

I think what he means Is unrealistic fan boy stuff ...
we all are fan of our armed forces and everyone should be , if we wont support them than who will ?
but believing in unrealistic things is kind of stupid , let alone for a well informed Posters :P

On Topic, I wont be taking a ride on Burraq and ride to the milkyway, let the block-3 comes out in the open , cause whatever we see in Block 3 ,, will be upgraded in block 4 .. except for things like new engine , air frame changes ..
things like IRST , Pods , AESA , hard points , EW suites can be seen in block 3 ..

Last edited:
I think Rome was not built in a day. Jf17 is a good platform for pakistan, and will improve every year, i have no doubt. People think its an ordinary aircraft, in my view its not. Any plane that has AESA and BVRs is going to be tough for any airforce to tackle. Everything takes R and D, if we jump the gun and go directly from A to Z. We will be missing out on valuable research. PAF has done wonders in my view with limited budget they producing 4th gen aircrafts.

Mitsubishi F2 is a bad example. Japan has a long and distinguished pedigree in the Aviation industry. During WW2 Zero fighter was as good as any other in the world. Even then it cost $120-million per plane in 2009 dollars.

While I agree that a larger JF-17 maybe useful because of increased bomb load. There is always limit to every design. JF-17 was designed as workhorse and it is best suited for that purpose.

In my humble opinion, Pakistan Air Force needs a more modern design such as J-20 or the J-31 in order to compete with the 272 SU Mk1 and 126 Rafaels of the IAF.

Mitsubishi F2 is a bad example. Japan has a long and distinguished pedigree in the Aviation industry. During WW2 Zero fighter was as good as any other in the world. Even then it cost $120-million per plane in 2009 dollars.

While I agree that a larger JF-17 maybe useful because of increased bomb load. There is always limit to every design. JF-17 was designed as workhorse and it is best suited for that purpose.
YF-16 prototype was smaller than production model F-16
"The YF-16 design was altered for the production F-16. The fuselage was lengthened by 10.6 in (0.269 m), a larger nose radome was fitted for the AN/APG-66 radar, wing area was increased from 280 sq ft (26 m2) to 300 sq ft (28 m2), the tailfin height was decreased, the ventral fins were enlarged, two more stores stations were added, and a single door replaced the original nosewheel double doors. The F-16's weight was increased by 25% over the YF-16 by these modifications."
Something on these lines on JF-17 would be nice to see.

F-16's are not going any where from the PAF for many years to come simply.

The f16 will remain the best fighter In the Pakistan military for at least the next five years .

Even when the rafales arrive Pakistan answer will be block 52 second batch of 18 fighters or used falcons if the 52prove difficult to acquire

In my humble opinion, Pakistan Air Force needs a more modern design such as J-20 or the J-31 in order to compete with the 272 SU Mk1 and 126 Rafaels of the IAF.

Hi,,

First of all there is nothing common in building an zero fighter to an F2----. That shows you what happens once you stop building weapons of war for half a century---.

Secondly---the cost of F2 is high due to lesser numbers manufactured than planned----.

A larger JF17 could have been able to hold a 1250--1350 T/R module aesa radar and a dedicated IRST as well. That would have taken on the su30's and the Rafale---.

Putting the J31's or J20's against the su30 / Rafales---would be tantamount to poor performance by Paf pilots.

YF-16 prototype was smaller than production model F-16
"The YF-16 design was altered for the production F-16. The fuselage was lengthened by 10.6 in (0.269 m), a larger nose radome was fitted for the AN/APG-66 radar, wing area was increased from 280 sq ft (26 m2) to 300 sq ft (28 m2), the tailfin height was decreased, the ventral fins were enlarged, two more stores stations were added, and a single door replaced the original nosewheel double doors. The F-16's weight was increased by 25% over the YF-16 by these modifications."
Something on these lines on JF-17 would be nice to see.

Hi,

Thank you for your post---and during all that design change for the F16---they forgot to raise the length of th struts to carry an ALCM with ease---just like in the JF17.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom