JF-17

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
As you guys all know that we are having engine problems with russia, some sources say that we will not be able to get RD-93 engines, and some sources say that we will get them through China.

I also heard that first 40 or so JF-17s will be equipped with a radar that is unknown to me, than they will be equipped with RD-93 or its downsized version.

I would like to know the name of the engine.

Regards,

Hmm.. RD-93 is basically the upgraded version of RD-33 of older MiG-29s (not a very reliable engine, gaz guzzler...) but china doesn't have any other engine (even AL-31f is not ready and even if it was, it is too big and powerful for the current size of JF-17).

If it comes to that bad, then china can only offer a sooped up F-7 engine (kinda like a sooped up civic engine in HOnda CRV lol) and then the plane would be greatly underpowered!

The thing is that right now China can get but it doesn't have the authority to export it to a third party (Pakistan) so pray that chinks can do their majic and copy the engine fast!

Except Russia, there is not really any other option!

For radar, what happened to Grifo S7?
There was an israeli radar in the running as well but we can kiss it goodbye in case of Pakistan!

Originally posted by Ahsan Farooqui@Nov 3 2005, 10:40 AM
As you guys all know that we are having engine problems with russia, some sources say that we will not be able to get RD-93 engines, and some sources say that we will get them through China.

I also heard that first 40 or so JF-17s will be equipped with a radar that is unknown to me, than they will be equipped with RD-93 or its downsized version.

I would like to know the name of the engine.

Regards,
[post=2178]Quoted post[/post]​

Well Ahsan JF-17 was said to have engine problems as russia wasnt providing PAF with th RD-93 which is an upgraded version of the old RD-33 engine.

The JF-17 can also use the French M53-2 engine used on the french mirages-2000 better yet it was also said that PAF had a option of using M53-3X the engine used on the newest M2K9 PAF also has the option of using the F-404 engine similar to the one which the indain's are using on there LCA and the last option is the chinese WS-13 engine which is said to be the chinese version of RD-93 which highter thrust...

in my opinion JF-17 is under powered and PAF should go for a better engine than the RD-93 something with better thrust than the current RD-93 engine's.

^
What he said. Although i highly doubt that ruissa won't give the engine to Pakistan. Because no officals reports have claimed such things. But even if the russians don't give thier engine. PAF would go for something that is TVC. So most probably a chinese engine.

Looks like M53-2 engine would be the good choice for JF-17. Whats the unit price compare to RD-93?

Regards,

Originally posted by Ahsan Farooqui@Nov 4 2005, 04:34 AM
Looks like M53-2 engine would be the good choice for JF-17. Whats the unit price compare to RD-93?

Regards,
[post=2227]Quoted post[/post]​

i dont know the unit price of the M53-2 but i sure do know that it has more thrust than the RD-93 and yes french engines are more superiour than there russian counter parts.....

Originally posted by Best of the Best@Nov 3 2005, 10:24 PM
i dont know the unit price of the M53-2 but i sure do know that it has more thrust than the RD-93 and yes french engines are more superiour than there russian counter parts.....
[post=2228]Quoted post[/post]​
But is this french engine capable of TVC ?Last i checked it was the ruissians who had perfected the art of TVC.And the chinese get thier know how from the ruissians.So most probabley a chinese engine.Also since it would be cheaper and reilable. :ChinaFlag: :PakistanFlag:

As wat BEST OF THE BEST said earlier, the WS-13A will be the parfect and cost-effective solution for JF17 and as far as radar is concern, I think Israeli ELTA2032 will be perfect! :ace:

Originally posted by Owais@Nov 4 2005, 09:29 PM
As wat BEST OF THE BEST said earlier, the WS-13A will be the parfect and cost-effective solution for JF17 and as far as radar is concern, I think Israeli ELTA2032 will be perfect! :ace:
[post=2263]Quoted post[/post]​

Well i would love PAF to go for the M53-2 or better yet the M-53-3Xcoz this engine is old and if we go for it well might be able to get TOT forthisengine to produce them locally in pakistan.

One of my friends here said something about using a TVC engine on the JF-17 i would kindly like to inform you that PAF was offered the TVC version of the RD-93 but PAF refused and i believe there must be a good reason behind it.

Now the current version of JF-17 that isthe 1st 50 JF-17 thunder will be using the KRL-9 radar on the JF-17 which is the down size version of the KRL-10 rader being madeby the chinese for the J-10 (F-10) fighter
but i believe the later version of the JF-17 will be using the Griffo S-7
rader........there has been a lot of development on this rader and it said to have improved quite a lot..... ;)

As far as I know, WS10A will be used of J10 Where as WS13A is a better option for JF17 as its as small as RD93!

WS-13A:
in 1980's,china start a "high performance areoengine poject".it include two subproject,one is WS-10,another is WS-12
WS-12 at the same class of GE-404 and RD-93,
in 1995 year,succeed in testing the core engine of WS-12,but due to doesnt have a fighter to deploy it,(at that time,FC-1 project is very unclear ,so china cancel WS-12 project,focus on WS-10
now,china start a new WS-13 project ,mainly for FC-1 and maybe future double engine meduim-sized figher.
WS-13 is the combination of WS-12's core engine (high pressure and temperature parts) and low pressure parts of RD-93,because these two parts all are matured
so it will enter service in 2008,way faster than develope a new engine

For better information

ENGINE

JF-17/FC-1 will be powered by One Russian Made Klimov RD-93 Turbofan engine.

RD-93 has been developed by Klimov Design Bureau in St. Petersburg. It is a variant of Klimov RD-33 Turbofan Engine which powers the MIG-29 Fulcrum. The most significant difference being the repositioning of the gearbox along the bottom of the engine casing.

RD-33
Thrust (Afterburner): 8300 kgf /18,260 lb
Thrust: 5040 kgf / 11,090 lb
Specific Fuel Consumption: 2.1 kg/kgf/Hr in afterburner, 0.77 military
Bypass Ratio: 0.46
Compressor Pressure Ratio: 21
Maximum Turbine Inlet Temperature: 1680 K
Service Life, hr: 4000
Length: 4.230m
Maximum Diameter: 1.040m
Mass: 1055 kg

There have been some problems. The engine was emitting black smoke, which makes it easier for the enemy pilot to spot the plane. This puts the pilot in inferior position during a dogfight. It is not clear whether the fuel or the engine was responsible for the smoke and the issue has been resolved.

Smokey nature of the engine

The contract between China and Russia over re-exporting the engines to Pakistan has ran into dispute. Russia is sending mixed signals whether the issue has been resolved or not. The issue is mainly political because Russia has never sold advanced weaponry or its components to Pakistan due to the regional politics. Russia is also saying that FC-1s fitted with RD-93 are not allowed to compete where Russian Aircraft are competing.

China is also working on an indigenous engine which has the potential to power the FC-1 in future.

China is also working on an indigenous engine which has the potential to power the FC-1 in future.
Is this WS-13A that china is working on?

Originally posted by Owais@Nov 9 2005, 11:14 AM
Is this WS-13A that china is working on?
[post=2597]Quoted post[/post]​

No WS-13A is a Engine that China is working on for the J-10.In the future it can be modified to fit into the JF-17.

Originally posted by Kaiser@Nov 10 2005, 10:22 AM
No WS-13A is a Engine that China is working on for the J-10.In the future it can be modified to fit into the JF-17.
[post=2621]Quoted post[/post]​

your information is wrong WS-13 is the engine whichis being developed for the JF-17 thunder WS-10A is the egine which will power the J-10 if you have any doubt's about my claim you can search the net.

You think that WS-13 would be good enough for JF-17, is it underpowered?

Regards,
Originally posted by Best of the Best@Nov 10 2005, 04:27 AM
your information is wrong WS-13 is the engine whichis being developed for the JF-17 thunder WS-10A is the egine which will power the J-10 if you have any doubt's about my claim you can search the net.
[post=2622]Quoted post[/post]​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom