What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, there was a pic shown by Nabil of the IRST made by Kamra under the wing of an aircraft.
I hope JF-17 uses an integrated IRST pod - just like FC-20. Its been at least 7 years since AWC rolled out the wing-based IRST, so I'd imagine we would see considerable improvements in terms of performance & weight in the system for JF-17. Ideally it could be situated under the nose-cone or in front of the canopy...but for the latter, I think the canopy will need some form of visual improvement. A good reference point might be to see how the F/A-18 Hornet and JAS-39 Gripen series addressed it...may need elevated seating & a slightly bigger canopy.

I hope JF-17 uses an integrated IRST pod - just like FC-20. Its been at least 7 years since AWC rolled out the wing-based IRST, so I'd imagine we would see considerable improvements in terms of performance & weight in the system for JF-17. Ideally it could be situated under the nose-cone or in front of the canopy...but for the latter, I think the canopy will need some form of visual improvement. A good reference point might be to see how the F/A-18 Hornet and JAS-39 Gripen series addressed it...may need elevated seating & a slightly bigger canopy.

I would go for something like under the nose cone / cockpit thingy, as it will not only help in air to air engagements, but can also be used for ground strikes.

But an integrated IRST is definitely on the cards, will have to see whether it comes in the second batch of the 3rd one.

China and Pakistan Push Chengdu JF-17 Fighter for Export

In the same week that the Chengdu JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft made its international debut at the Farnborough airshow, the product of this co-development between China and Pakistan was offered to Indonesia. The Pakistan Defence Minister signed a defense cooperation agreement with his Indonesian counterpart in Jakarta. The list of countries that the Sino-Pakistan joint venture is targeting for sales is expanding fast: it reportedly also includes Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Congo, Egypt, Iran, Nigeria, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Turkey, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

At Farnborough, joint-venture partners Catic and PAC described the JF-17 as a multi-role light fighter with an “outstanding performance-to-cost ratio.” The two aircraft on display were ferried to Farnborough but did not fly during the show, and officials were reluctant to allow journalists into the cockpit to view the three multifunction displays plus head-up display, HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) and other avionics. The aircraft were shown with PL-5II IR-guided air-to-air missiles on wingtip rails and ferry tanks on the centerline and inner wing stations, leaving the outer wing stations unloaded. Mockups of five Chinese stores were displayed next to the aircraft: a C802A anti-ship missile; an SD-10A active radar-guided air-to-air missile; an LS-6 glide bomb; a WMD-7 targeting pod; and a KG300G electronic warfare pod.

Program officials said that a development JF-17 is now flying in China with a Chinese-developed engine, presumably the WS-13 Taishan. All other JF-17s are powered by the Russian-supplied RD-93 turbofan. On the eve of Farnborough, a Russian newspaper reported the opposition of Sukhoi and MiG director-general Mikhail Pogosian to a further sale of RD-93s to China because the JF-17 is competing with the MiG-29 for export sales. At the show, however, Russian officials, including Pogosian, played down this concern.

two-chengdu-jf-17-thunders-from-the-pakistan-air-force-s-no-26-squadron-made-the-type-s-first-international-appearance-at-the-farnborough-air-show-photo-chris-pocock-90.jpg

Source

Now, JF-17 is now flying in China with a Chinese-developed engine :cheers:

RD-93
Maximum thrust: 50.0 kN (11,230 lbf) Dry, 81.3 kN (18,285 lbf) Afterburning

WS-13
100 kN (22,450 lb) of thrust with afterburner

So we would be looking JF-17 going near to 2.2 MACH with 22,450 lb weight....almost double then it takes now.
This means that wings will be expand and more hardpoints will be available. :cheers:

RD-93

WS-13

So we would be looking JF-17 going near to 2.2 MACH with 22,450 lb weight....almost double then it takes now.
This means that wings will be expand and more hardpoints will be available. :cheers:

we wont be seing such major structural changes untill block III.
but yes, new engine canbe a possibility and this will increase payload and spped but i dont see any modification in wing design to accomodate more weapons.
however we can forsee an increase in paylad by us of bomb/missile racks able to carry more then one missile on single hardpoint.

regards!
regards!

can someone please tell me jf-17 BVR range?

For the time no BVR has been integrated with it, its being done and most probably a test will occur before this year end.

SD-10A would be its BVR missile for now, which has a reported range of 70+KM, some sources saying it to be somewhere 100+ range also in the latest variants.

can someone please tell me jf-17 BVR range?

JF is going through weapon integration program.
SD-10 is reported/confirmed to be JFT primary A2A BVR missile with a reported range of about 70Km.
it is alsoclaimed the an improved version SD-10b has been developed and then PAF will go for this version.

regards!

A podded infrared search and tracking system demonstrator developed by Air Weapons Complex (AWC) has been shown mounted under the wing of A Pakistan Air Force Mirage III fighter. Design of the air-to-air IRST, now in production, began in 1992 and was first tested in 1994. The 2.4m long installation , including a stabilizer head in a 210mm diameter supersonic housing, weighs 80kg and draws its power from the host aircraft. It has an RS-422 interface , the output being presented on a 3.5 kg electroluminescent display in the cockpit. For post mission analysis, the pod can also be connected to a 14kg mission recorder installed in the nose of the aircraft. The system is designed to be used against airborne threats, and has a multi-target search capability. The pilot can choose from three scan patterns, including spiral (26x26), horizontal (9.6x100), and vertical (100x9.6) scans. A target tracking function is also avilable, and the IRST's modular design allows for deployment on various platforms, including rotary-wing types.

Pakistan Military Consortium :: www.PakDef.info

Just for refreshment of information.

SD-10A has an upgraded seeker, a better rocket motor and more engagement functions developed in the light of flaws found in the basic variants. It also has a better HOJ (home on jam) and 40 G maneuvering capability. Range is most likely between 90-100 kms. A hint to this range is also given on PAC website. Klj-7 radar has a track range (look up) in access of advertised 105 kms. This is what i was told. Look down range is more than 85 kms.

I cannot verify this through internet.

PAF is willing to integrate the ISRT sensor similar to what we have seen in j-10b and Chinese have developed a small enough sensor for this purpose after hectic work of 3 years. This IRST sensor was small enough to be fitted on j-10b but was not suitable for JFT. As per my info, soon it will be tested on a prototype in China. Due to size reduction, range is somewhat reduced but pverall performance is still comparable to j-10b sensor. AWC IRST also has the same issue i.e. it can be carried externally but not internally which is why PAF is waiting for Chinese one.

Clearing the air

Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju sprang a surprise on Pakistani fighter pilots at the recently-concluded Farnborough International Airshow.

The minister decided to check out the static display of Pakistan Air Force’s JF-17 fighters that were taking part in an airshow for the first time. The minister quizzed the pilots about the capabilities of the fighter.

A Pakistan Air Force pilot said, “We were quite surprised to have the Indian minister visit us. He was quite curious about the aircraft and asked us about the range, weapons payload and its development history.”

Absence?s all the rage - Hindustan Times

Even Saab is feeling the heat.....:coffee:

.....Gripen officials are keeping a close watch on the international marketplace, where they are tracking 17 countries for potential sales opportunities. A couple more opportunities are expected to emerge this year.

But competition remains heated, with possible new entrants such as the Chinese-Pakistani JF-17. Gripen officials say they have seen no impact from the appearance of the JF-17 on the scene yet. However, one company official acknowledges “we have to watch the JF-17 as well.”

Gripen NG Decoy Decision Nears | AVIATION WEEK

Æ·¡°èÉÁú¡± ¿´Î´À´_ÐÂÎÅ_ÖйúÍøÂçµçÊǪ́
-----------------------
-FC-1 carry out many real time aerial battle with F-16A by PAF and repeatly defeated F-16A. Especially in dogfight area.

-FC-1 did not fly on Farnborough Airshow becos of objection from Chinese side as they want FC-1 to make its flight demonstration debut in Zuhai 2010 Airshow.

-FC-1 will not be under engine blackmail from Russia as WS-13 has successfully developed and already equip and tested on FC-1.

RD-93

WS-13

Will you provide any source for WS-13 thrust for 100kN with afterburner. I guess its maximum thrust id 51.2 kN dry & 86.37 kN with afterburner. An improved version is under development only but no confirmed reports, if there are any source for it pls post here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom