What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinese is a done deal already but we are keeping our options open. AWC also make GBU series under license and is an option on JFT
Indeed. Eventually the PAF will use its own choice of weapon-systems on JF-17, definitely a mix of Chinese and other origin weapons. Ultimately, the PAF's choices may result in some form of domestic manufacturing, such as the Mectron MAR-1 ARM for example. Given the range of options available, I bet PAF will seek to equip its MK-80 series of bombs with precision-guidance kits for use on JF-17. Next ideal additions would include a precision-guided A2G missile (similar to Sagem AASM) and tactical ALCM like MBDA Storm Shadow.

PS: The Sagem AASM is a very interesting and a bit of an innovative concept. The explosive core is essentially a 250kg dumb bomb (like Mk.82). However, this bomb is augmented and propelled by a rocket-system...and tipped with guidance equipment. The basic AASM is essentially a PGB/JDAM (with INS/GPS) with a rocket-propulsion, but other variants include INS/GPS and laser-guidance. To be frank, I think this is well within Pakistan's ability to develop, especially if it partners up with a good foreign partner. But even within our own capacity, we can do it alone.

Last edited:
Military Aircraft, DefenseIn the same week that the Chengdu JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft made its international debut at the Farnborough airshow, the product of this co-development between China and Pakistan was offered to Indonesia. The Pakistan Defence Minister signed a defense cooperation agreement with his Indonesian counterpart in Jakarta.The list of countries that the Sino-Pakistan joint venture is targeting for sales is expanding fast: it reportedly also includes Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Congo, Egypt, Iran, Nigeria, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Turkey, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.
Read More

so it means JF 17 is fully prepared to be inducted everything is fine with the product now

Superfalcon, please provide a source for your information.

Military Aircraft, DefenseIn the same week that the Chengdu JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft made its international debut at the Farnborough airshow, the product of this co-development between China and Pakistan was offered to Indonesia. The Pakistan Defence Minister signed a defense cooperation agreement with his Indonesian counterpart in Jakarta.The list of countries that the Sino-Pakistan joint venture is targeting for sales is expanding fast: it reportedly also includes Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Congo, Egypt, Iran, Nigeria, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Turkey, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.
Read More

so it means JF 17 is fully prepared to be inducted everything is fine with the product now

Superfalcon, please provide a source for your information.

Asian defence!

its every ware on news not only on asian defence

just go through the previous page you will have links also

I found this precious document after a LOT of search and urgently need the translation of what exactly is mentioned in it? I do have an idea there is a comparison between FILAT, WMD-07, Sapsan-E, LITENING 2, RECCELITE etc. Please friends, translation needed! Intriguing image for me !

20051229181032886207ks.jpg picture by nexeltroop - Photobucket

Last edited:
JFT radar prototype also known as KLJ-1 or Type 1471.....

j82_radar_2.jpg picture by nexeltroop - Photobucket

Description of original klj- radar....

"Although the jet is not new, but avionics displayed at this Zhuhai Airshow is. For J-8IIM, it was originally equipped with Zhuk-27, and at this Airshow, China displayed the new domestic radar (the computer generated pic with radar shown subsystem modules), which is geared toward western standard.
The comparison, however, was made to the original Russki radar Zhuk-8II (pic the radar on the aircraft) on J-8II instead of the newer Russki Zhuk-27 on J-8IIM, but here is the improvement:

1. All Zhuk radars are for Russki standard of handling target with 5 square meters radar cross section (RCS), the standard for west is 3 square meters. The domestic Chinese radar has a range of 75 km max for targets with 3 square meters, in comparison to Zhuk-8II's 70 km max against target of 5 square meters.

2. Addition of ability to handle sea-borne target that Zhuk-8II does not have. For sea targets with 50 square meters RCS, the max range is
> 100/80 km for sea state 1/2.

3. Simultaneously tracking 10 targets and display 8 most threatening ones out of the 10 on displays, engaging 2 out the 8.

4. Air-to-Air modes: VS (Velocity Search), RWS (Recon./Search while Scan), TWS (Track While Scan), STT (Single Target Tracking), Air Combat Mode (ACM). MTI, (aerial Moving Target Indication) mode which is used to discover hovering helicopters can be added upon customer request, though this does not come as standard feature. This extra function is what Zhuk-8II does not have.

5. Air-to-Ground modes: Mapping (Real Beam Mapping RBM), Mapping Expansion/Freezing (EXP/FRZ), Doppler Beam Sharpening (DBS), Ground Moving Target Indication (GMTI), Sea Single Target Tracking (SSTT), Air-to-Ground Ranging (AGR). Only the last function is possessed by Zhuk-8II.

6. Beacon Navigation (BCN) and Weather (WX).

The J-8IIM is built on the standard of USA standards MIL-STD-1553B (for Flight-by-wire) and MIL-STD-1760 (Weaponry interface), so that western avionics and weaponry can be added directly without any rework. Compatibility of USA MIL-STD-1773 (for flight-by-light) and MIL-STD-1787 (for fixed wing aircraft display symbology are also ready, and can be included upon customer request.

However, dispite such improvements, the ancient design was rejected by Pakistan Air Force when Shengyan Aircraft Factory tried to sell it to Pakistan.

The display shown at Zhuhai was monochrome, but can be replaced by color LCD MFD upon customer request, and those displays were made by ISO-9000 series certified facotries in the city of Su1-Zhou1, Jiang1-Su1 Province. (A great achievement, not many purely domestic Chinese enterprises can pass the ISO-9000 series certification).

From the info provided, this domestic Chinese radar appear to be have the similar performance of AN/APG-65 onboard F-18A/B, though it is much heavier than the USA counterpart."

Last edited:
According to Global Security, Air Weapons Complex/AERO has its own Infrared Search and Track System (IRST). I wonder if they have been involved in the JF-17's IRST?

Kamra - Pakistan Special Weapons Facilities

Regarding Selex Galileo Vixen series of AESA radars. My understanding is that the numbers (Selex-500/750/1000) denote the number of T/R modules used on the radar. Can't say how many T/R modules would be ideal for JF-17, but my guess would be 750+ and up to 1000 (i.e. Vixen-1000ES). A number of folks believe PAF may acquire Vixen-1000ES (or a variant) for use on JF-17, it would be very interesting to see if such a deal is finalized. Furthermore, I wonder how they will enhance man-machine interface and cockpit...perhaps single large LED+LCD touchscreen? Enhanced graphic capacity for mapping, SAR, etc? And what about the nose cone...conformal data-link/communication modules? Slight nose changes - perhaps less round and more squarish like Gripen-NG?

Last edited:
285_117146_8f3e13adc740c2c.jpg

285_117146_edf2638d30f9d20.jpg

According to Global Security, Air Weapons Complex/AERO has its own Infrared Search and Track System (IRST). I wonder if they have been involved in the JF-17's IRST?

Kamra - Pakistan Special Weapons Facilities

Regarding Selex Galileo Vixen series of AESA radars. My understanding is that the numbers (Selex-500/750/1000) denote the number of T/R modules used on the radar. Can't say how many T/R modules would be ideal for JF-17, but my guess would be 750+ and up to 1000 (i.e. Vixen-1000ES). A number of folks believe PAF may acquire Vixen-1000ES (or a variant) for use on JF-17, it would be very interesting to see if such a deal is finalized. Furthermore, I wonder how they will enhance man-machine interface and cockpit...perhaps single large LED+LCD touchscreen? Enhanced graphic capacity for mapping, SAR, etc? And what about the nose cone...conformal data-link/communication modules? Slight nose changes - perhaps less round and more squarish like Gripen-NG?

Yeah, there was a pic shown by Nabil of the IRST made by Kamra under the wing of an aircraft.

With the recent news of IAF going for Rafale or Typhoon makes up good chances for PAF getting the Vixen series AESA radar as Gripen would not be procured by the IAF, thus we have a good chance of getting the radar.

Plus, you are right, such modifications should and may come in the later blocks of the JF-17.

Here found the pic with myself, upload for you to see, if not seen previously. Nabil did said i believe that work has been continuing on it and in future variants we may see it on the JF-17s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom