What's new

JF-17 Fighter Slated for Block-2 Upgrades in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, 30 Million sounds reasonable..........

I always sound reasonable man! :P

Now on topic, that's the minimum block I price, now add another $8-$10 million for the block II price (incorporating all the R&D and upgrade cost), and another $5-$10 million for the AESA radar (Now if its a home grown radar, the the initial batch will be pricier).

Now calculate the acquisition price of JF-17 Blk II for any third party. :)

Now on topic, that's the minimum block I price, now add another $8-$10 million for the block II price (incorporating all the R&D and upgrade cost), and another $5-$10 million for the AESA radar (Now if its a home grown radar, the the initial batch will be pricier).

I trust the Chinese on mass-production. They'll keep the price to US$30Million by hook or by crook.
Plus, these are the specs for Pakistan's next acquisition, other countries could choose to opt for the Block-I or Chinese Systems which would significantly reduce the cost. Another option is the one Egypt is negotiating for, Transfer of Technology. That also results in major price cuts.

I don't think JFT would be pitched in African market with a mandatory AESA in it. It all depends on the customer's requirement. Then, We still don't know the exact market and sale strategy of PAF and AVIC for the block-II. Block-II for any third party is a far cry at present as PAF will get its own numbers first. Then there will be a decision that how much PAF is willing to sell its technology. So,who knows the exact price, not only Block-II will have new radar but also a new engine and avionics as well. So those will also matter i think in total price.

I don't think JFT would be pitched in African market with a mandatory AESA in it. It all depends on the customer's requirement. Then, We still don't know the exact market and sale strategy of PAF and AVIC for the block-II. Block-II for any third party is a far cry at present as PAF will get its own numbers first. Then there will be a decision that how much PAF is willing to sell its technology. So,who knows the exact price, not only Block-II will have new radar but also a new engine and avionics as well. So those will also matter i think in total price.

New engine? Are you sure?

I trust the Chinese on mass-production. They'll keep the price to US$30Million by hook or by crook.
Plus, these are the specs for Pakistan's next acquisition, other countries could choose to opt for the Block-I or Chinese Systems which would significantly reduce the cost. Another option is the one Egypt is negotiating for, Transfer of Technology. That also results in major price cuts.

Mass production depends on mass orders, just like the situation F-16s enjoyed in the late 80s and 90s. As of now, there are no confirmed orders from China (which can be the largest probable operator of JF-17). And Egypt will go for their own manufacturing plant. So there isn't any mass order flowing anytime soon.

So as of now, i don't see any mass production happening anytime soon unless China plans to induct some in their inventory (Which is less likely to happen as the induction price of J-10 is very low for PLAAF).

And neither Pakistan or China will put a dent on their profitability by keeping the price of the aircraft artificially low.

Just my point of view.

^^ But they can dent others' market share with this:). just a thought. This bird is the entering point for China into big arm sale game and to secure that lucrative market PAF/AVIC will do everything. just listen what PAF announced in Dubai. Get 3 Thunders in price of 1 F-16.:pakistan::china:

^^ But they can dent others' market share with this:). just a thought. This bird is the entering point for China into big arm sale game and to secure that lucrative market PAF/AVIC will do everything. just listen what PAF announced in Dubai. Get 3 Thunders in price of 1 F-16.:pakistan::china:

China is already a big name in defence industry.

From the business perspective, Why would china put so much emphasis on the marketing of JF-17, while they can do the same with J-10s and bag the full profit?

Yeah, 30 Million sounds reasonable..........
Yes! the block II won't be more than 30M$$ for any third party and it might cost PAF less than 25M$$....:smokin:

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

what about radar ... i heard somewhere that it will be AESA .. then what will be its range compare to current radar ?
Its AESA radar range will be 130++ Km at least for RCS <=5m2 Insha-Allah.....:smokin:

Yes! the block II won't be more than 30M$$ for any third party and it might cost PAF less than 25M$$....:smokin:

Here, $30 million will be the minimum fly away cost, which doesn't signify anything when it comes to acquisition. Just like the fly away cost of F-35 is $65-$90 million.

Man i wish there is tvc in block 2. That would be amazing!

From the business perspective, Why would china put so much emphasis on the marketing of JF-17, while they can do the same with J-10s and bag the full profit?

Perhaps China dont want its best homegrown tech to be in foreign hands..... JF 17 is not the best China have

Perhaps China dont want its best homegrown tech to be in foreign hands..... JF 17 is not the best China have

After developing J-10Bs and J-20s, maybe China can offer J-10As for export market. We'll have to wait for a few years for that development.

Yes China is a big name but not in high tech military aviation exports and particularly the number of their fighter jet clients are on the lower side.
For your question, I think we both know the answer. Look at the time and effort China spent on J-10 program. they are testing many J-20 systems on it and cannot afford to make it outside China. Pakistan is another story though. j-10 is core of PLAAF so that is one additional factor making Chinese little more careful in offering j-10 to everyone unlike Thundres. Plus, J-10, if exported, would have a different market then JF-17. It will complete with Rafale, EF, Block-52/60, etc.

When will the first batch of Block 2 Planes Arrive and will the Block 3 will look alike F-15 or F-18 ?

$15-$20 million is the PAF acquisition price, the price is bound to be higher for any other countries, plus the maintenance cost, weapons package, infrastructure and all. Taking all these into mind, the price of JF-17 will be more than $30 million for any third party to acquire.

F-16 C/D costs around $18 million for USAF.

F-16 C/D basic variants devoid of any weapons package used to cost around US$20 Million each back in 1990's. It is safe to assume that the same Jet would cost twice that much today. When you add American weapons package, upgrade deals in avionics, sensors, radars etc. then that price would shoot up even further.....plus training, repairs, spares etc., the actual flyaway cost of an F-16 (Block 52+) would be US$80-100 million each. No wonder Pakistan is claiming JF-17's to be 1/3rd the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom