What's new

Japan considering providing patrol ships to Sri Lanka

Gibbs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Japan considering providing patrol ships to Sri Lanka | GlobalPost

The Japanese government is considering providing patrol ships to Sri Lanka to help the South Asian country strengthen its maritime surveillance capabilities, a Japanese government source said Sunday.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to convey the plan to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa when he visits the country in early September, the source said. Tokyo expects the move to help improve sea lane security in the Indian Ocean where tankers transporting oil from the Middle East to Japan travel, according to the source.

It also comes at a time when China is giving support to Sri Lanka and other countries in South Asia in an apparent bid to expand its reach into the Indian Ocean.

Tokyo will decide how many ships to provide after Abe's visit, the source said. Officials from the two countries will hold talks to decide whether Japan will build new ships for Sri Lanka or provide Japan Coast Guard patrol vessels already in use.

The Japanese government is considering giving loans to Sri Lanka for the ship purchase, the source said.

==Kyodo

Good ! Here is to greater collaboration between Japan and our South Asian Brothers.

Best wishes to our Lankan friends,your country developed very fast,we are happy to see you developing

@Nihonjin1051

bro,Japan is promising way too much equipments to various countries.but as you can see,they are in dire need of these equipment(Eg. Vietnam needs Patrol Vessels ASAP).is Japan fast tracking these projects??or its just that Japan is going to sell second hand equipment while they'll induct more advanced equipment??

@Nihonjin1051

bro,Japan is promising way too much equipments to various countries.but as you can see,they are in dire need of these equipment(Eg. Vietnam needs Patrol Vessels ASAP).is Japan fast tracking these projects??or its just that Japan is going to sell second hand equipment while they'll induct more advanced equipment??

Japan is transferring 10 of Coast Guard Ships to the Philippine Coast Guard; these are of medium to large tonnage bearing ships and have capability to stay in the high seas for 30 or more days. These are given free of charge to the Philippines in the light of the situation. As for Viet Nam, we are providing them 6 medium patrol ships , these will be given for free. Sri Lanka, as you may know bro, is very poor and had just recently ended its civil war with the Tamil Tigers. Given the trade between Japan and Sri Lanka , as well as our desire to build greater rapport between all South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc), I think transferring 1 patrol ship to the Sri Lankan Navy or Sri Lankan Coast Guard is doable. The ship that they are referring to is most likely a Medium Sized Coast Guard Ship. From Japan news, i think we will be giving it free of charge to Sri Lanka.

Japan is transferring 10 of Coast Guard Ships to the Philippine Coast Guard; these are of medium to large tonnage bearing ships and have capability to stay in the high seas for 30 or more days. These are given free of charge to the Philippines in the light of the situation. As for Viet Nam, we are providing them 6 medium patrol ships , these will be given for free. Sri Lanka, as you may know bro, is very poor and had just recently ended its civil war with the Tamil Tigers. Given the trade between Japan and Sri Lanka , as well as our desire to build greater rapport between all South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc), I think transferring 1 patrol ship to the Sri Lankan Navy or Sri Lankan Coast Guard is doable. The ship that they are referring to is most likely a Medium Sized Coast Guard Ship. From Japan news, i think we will be giving it free of charge to Sri Lanka.

the 10 CGS to Philippines are not free, we got it through loan. But you can say that its almost free cuz of zero interest

My first post and Hello to all.

the 10 CGS to Philippines are not free, we got it through loan. But you can say that its almost free cuz of zero interest

My first post and Hello to all.

The last time I read in Japanese news last year, It said that we were donating the CSG vessels. I searched for new articles regarding it and i stumbled on a Filipino source. It appears that it wasn't donated afterall, it is given through soft loans. I'll provide the article here.

Anyways, thanks for the clarification. And welcome to the forum!

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) expects delivery of two to three of 10 brand-new multi-role patrol boats from Japan by the third quarter of 2015, according to the PCG spokesman.

Cmdr. Armand Balilo, PCG public affairs office chief, told the Inquirer on Sunday the seven other 40-meter (131-foot) vessels would be delivered the following year.

“The two sides have agreed that all 10 patrol boats will be brand-new and multi-role,” Balilo said.

The Coast Guard’s current fleet consists of nine boats, which are utilized as search-and-rescue vessels. At this writing, however, only seven are operational.

According to Balilo, PCG personnel also man 10 vessels belonging to the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR).

The BFAR boats are used mainly in the campaign against illegal fishing and poaching in the country’s territorial waters.

In December, President Aquino announced in a news conference that the Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) would provide a $184-million soft loan for the PCG’s acquisition of 10 patrol boats from Tokyo.

The President, who had just come from the Japanese capital for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations-Japan Commemorative Summit, said the patrol boats would boost the country’s maritime security.

For its part, the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) at Malacañang said that with the purchase of the new vessels, “the PCG could upgrade its current fleet that will strengthen its task of defending the country’s exclusive economic zone.”

“The new patrol boats will do patrols in several contested territories in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea),” the PCOO said.

Meanwhile, the PCG cited the Jica for providing a 1.15-billion yen (about P506.5 million) grant that will go to the installation of VSAT and Inmarsat communication systems at the PCG headquarters in Port Area, Manila, as well as in its district offices nationwide and on its vessels

Patrol boats from Japan to start arriving in 2015 | Inquirer News

Good development by Japan. But i think Japan should provide all the CSG vessels to Vietnam, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Bengladesh etc for free instead of through loans as they are doing. Afterall Japan doesn't really need those CSG ships anymore and are retiring them, so they could have just gifted them to these poor countries.

I dont think it will be feasible/recommendable for these countries to take loan from Japan to purchase this vessels, instead they could just straight out buy more potent one from the U.S/West/South Korea than buying old retiring vessels through loans.

In fact ideally, focus should be put in solving these disputes peacefully, so these poor countries can focus more on improving thier economies/standards of living than buying fancy weapons from foreign powers which doesnt add anything to the country.:disagree: At least it would have been better if they can invest in building these ships locally in those countries .

Last edited:
Good development by Japan. But i think Japan should provide all the CSG vessels to Vietnam, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Bengladesh etc for free instead of through loans as they are doing. Afterall Japan doesnt really need those CSG ships anymore and are retiring them, so they could od with gifting them to these poor countries.
I dont think it will be feasible/recommendable for these countries to take loan from Japan to purchase this vessels, instead they could just straight out buy more potent one from the U.S/West/South Korea than buying old retiring vessels through loans.
In fact ideally, focus should be put in solving these disputes peacefully, so these poor countries can focus on improving thier economies/standards of living than buying fancy weapons from foreign powers which doesnt add anything to the country.:disagree: At least wil have been better if they can invest in building these ships locally in those countries .

I suppose Japan can't afford to be too generous in the light of current economic situation.

Good development by Japan. But i think Japan should provide all the CSG vessels to Vietnam, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Bengladesh etc for free instead of through loans as they are doing. Afterall Japan doesnt really need those CSG ships anymore and are retiring them, so they could od with gifting them to these poor countries.
In fact ideally, focus should be put in solving these disputes peacefully, so these poor countries can focus on improving thier economies/standards of living than buying fancy weapons from foreign powers which doesnt add anything to the country.:disagree: At least wil have been better if they can invest in building these ships locally in those countries .

I will stress that Japan's relationship between our partners in South East Asia and South Asia are comprehensive. Through government agencies such as JICA, we provide grants and development aid. Recent developments that include the transfer of military vessels should be heightened. We can also offer to sell military equipment , of they so desire.

I suppose Japan can't afford to be too generous in the light of current economic situation.

Japan's JICA and history of civilizaiton-wide development throughout the world; ranging from Asia, Africa, South America , North America, Europe , Middle East -- cannot be emphasized enough.

I will stress that Japan's relationship between our partners in South East Asia and South Asia are comprehensive. Through government agencies such as JICA, we provide grants and development aid. Recent developments that include the transfer of military vessels should be heightened. We can also offer to sell military equipment , of they so desire.

Japan's JICA and history of civilizaiton-wide development throughout the world; ranging from Asia, Africa, South America , North America, Europe , Middle East -- cannot be emphasized enough.

ahahahahahha, Geez.......Nihonji san, you sure know how to use words even when conered. You should be a diplomat, seriously. im impressed.:tup::D:cheers:

ahahahahahha, Geez.......Nihonji san, you sure know how to use words even when conered. You should be a diplomat, seriously. im impressed.:tup::D:cheers:

Ha ha ha, I learned it from the best. The Yanks and their Mother...the British. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom