What's new

Japan comes to Ukraine's Aid: $6 million for school repairs, and $1.5 billion for infrastructure

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
big[1].jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman (L), Neal Walker (C) from UNDP and Japan's ambassador Shigeki Sumi shaking hands after inking a deal on a $5.8 million help package in the office of the Regional Development Ministry on Velyka Zhytomyrska st. in Kyiv.

Russian aggression in the Donbas, a major coal and steel producing region, has cost Ukraine more than 1,000 soldiers killed and up to 10 percent in economic contraction, which is why the country now has to rely on foreign help to improve the situation.

On Nov. 13 Japan's ambassador to Ukraine, Shigeki Sumi, presented a $5.8 million support package aimed at reconstruction of the schools and hospitals in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts. It comes along the $1.5 billion project that Japan announced in March to provide Ukraine with money it needs to undergo the reforms focused on cutting the fiscal deficit and fighting the corruption.

"Japan feels that urgent support is needed for those in the area of the Donbas, since the cold winter is setting in," said Sumi during a news conference in Kyiv and also announced plans to visit the two eastern oblasts to eyewitness the situation. The United Nations Development Program will be managing the allocation of the provided financial help, emphasized Ukraine's Deputy Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman.

"People recognize the urgency of humanitarian assistance in the east, but also they asked very clearly for investment to get factories going again, to get people working, to restore the infrastructure to allow this region, which has been a traditional economic powerhouse, to continue to contribute to the economic development in Ukraine," said Neal Walker, UNDP representative in Ukraine.

Fixing the heat, power and water supplies in the schools and medical facilities in Ukraine's east is most critical at this time. Around 2,000 public buildings have been damaged, according to a report by the United Nations, while overall 5.2 million people are affected by the war.

More than 930,000 Donbas residents have fled the war-torn region, with 488,000 moving abroad predominantly to Russia. Migrants are being treated in social care centers, which will get part of the Japanese money too.

The United Nations, which is coordinating the flow of money for restoring the Donbas, requested $33.3 million from donors in August, but have managed to collect only $17.1 million so far. However, this is still a tiny fraction of what Ukraine needs. American billionaire George Soros is organizing a donor conference in early 2015 to raise some $14 billion for the resurrection of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.

Meanwhile, Japan's help to the country under attack by the regime of Vladimir Putin, the Russian president in his third term, includes lending $1.1 billion to the Kyiv City Administration for modernizing the Bortnychi sewage station, the capital's major water cleaning hub that is currently in poor technical condition. It's a 40-year loan with a tiny 0.1 percent interest.

Another $100 million came in July as a 20-year, 0.95 percent loan for "development policy," which is mostly about introducing the austerity measures needed for fighting the budget deficit.

Ambassador Sumi said he's preparing Japan's economic mission to Ukraine to bring Japanese technologies in agriculture and coal-based energy production. "I am sure we will be able to attract Japanese small and medium enterprises, with their unique technology, to Ukrainian production," he commented.

Kyiv Post staff writer Olena Gordiienko can be reached at gordiienko@kyivpost.com.

Japan provides $6 million to restore Donbas schools and hospitals, $1.5 billion to cut deficit

What is your personal take on Cremiea, and eastern norther Ukraine division. Why are most of people in Cremiea and significant people in eastern and northern Ukraine are willing to separate? Is there a real risk from Nazi type people to native Russians? I think yes there is and western media is totally ignoring their concerns while Russian media is ignoring western Ukrainians concern. What is your honest opinion for both sides?

What is your personal take on Cremiea, and eastern norther Ukraine division. Why are most of people in Cremiea and significant people in eastern and northern Ukraine are willing to separate? Is there a real risk from Nazi type people to native Russians? I think yes there is and western media is totally ignoring their concerns while Russian media is ignoring western Ukrainians concern. What is your honest opinion for both sides?

I was in Ukraine for an exchange program back in 2006; I was at Kiev Mohyla Academy. During this program, I had the pleasure of interacting and learning with other international students and had the opportunity to visit not only Kiev, by Odessa, and Luvov in the Western part of the country. I've never experienced any sense of racism there, or prejudice whilst I was in the Ukraine. To be honest, from my experiences in studying and spending countless hours at the Kiyasks in downtown Kiev, never did i feel that there were 'Neo Nazis'. The society , to me, was quite open and very agreeable. This is why Its very saddening for me to hear about what's going on in the Ukraine, to see what has happened to the country in 2014.

Crimea was seized because it is home to the Russian Black Sea Fleet. Its unfortunate, but I believe this. My opinion is that Ukraine should be restored to pre-2014 borders. Let national restoration and reconstruction take place.

Crimea was seized because it is home to the Russian Black Sea Fleet. Its unfortunate, but I believe this. My opinion is that Ukraine should be restored to pre-2014 borders. Let national restoration and reconstruction take place.

No country in the world would give away land to another country for free. If Ukraine wants Crimea, Ukraine is welcome to fight for it.

1.5 billion for Ukrainian politicians' bank accounts, 6 million for outdated weapons and more unpaid wages for soldiers to bomb citizens.

Ukraine officilas and oligarchs are most corrupted in whole Europe.Most of IMF loans till now were just stolen,rest spend on murdering civilains in Donbas.Japan money will be also stolen or used to kill ppl in Donbas.As for article-nonsense and lies.But is expectable from Kiev Post.

Japan is in recession and has demographics problems. Japan isn't a power like it used to be.

I was in Ukraine for an exchange program back in 2006; I was at Kiev Mohyla Academy. During this program, I had the pleasure of interacting and learning with other international students and had the opportunity to visit not only Kiev, by Odessa, and Luvov in the Western part of the country. I've never experienced any sense of racism there, or prejudice whilst I was in the Ukraine. To be honest, from my experiences in studying and spending countless hours at the Kiyasks in downtown Kiev, never did i feel that there were 'Neo Nazis'. The society , to me, was quite open and very agreeable. This is why Its very saddening for me to hear about what's going on in the Ukraine, to see what has happened to the country in 2014.

Well informed post.

Thank you.

Crimea was stolen by Putin.

and now he is trying to steal more lands..

Ukraine officilas and oligarchs are most corrupted in whole Europe.Most of IMF loans till now were just stolen,rest spend on murdering civilains in Donbas.Japan money will be also stolen or used to kill ppl in Donbas.As for article-nonsense and lies.But is expectable from Kiev Post.

Don't you think that's a wee bit subjective and speculative , Priyatel @Galad ? The $6 million is to rebuild damaged schools, as for the $1.5 billion, its to help rebuild damaged infrastructure. Given, this $1.5 billion is not that much compared to what is needed , but it will help the common Ukrainian citizen.

1.5 billion for Ukrainian politicians' bank accounts, 6 million for outdated weapons and more unpaid wages for soldiers to bomb citizens.

That is quite baseless. Have you any substantive proof that supports this? Please, if you do, do share. Thanks.

and how does it benefit japan?

Aside from a very warm political relationship with Ukraine, Japan has the potential to succor Ukraine in rebuilding necessary infrastructural projects in the future. Afterall, a more stable Ukraine will lead to a more stable Europe.

Cheers!

Last edited:
That is quite baseless. Have you any substantive proof that supports this? Please, if you do, do share. Thanks.

:hitwall:

They JUST took whatever little money given to them by EU/US/IMF to start a war campaign and you are asking for proof? They couldn't even pay or equip their soldiers properly, who knows where all the money went. Even before that they couldn't make anything happen with discount gas, a whole bunch of favourable business contracts, and billions in loans and grants given by Russia...all the money were siphoned off by one politician or another.

Don't you think that's a wee bit subjective and speculative , Priyatel @Galad ? The $6 million is to rebuild damaged schools, as for the $1.5 billion, its to help rebuild damaged infrastructure.
Cheers!
Are you for real?Or reading just KievPost and think you know everything for Ukraine?Schools in Donbas are being destroyed from artilery shelling of Ukraine army.Latest example-check what`s left from the school in Nikishino(and not even a single NAF soldier is inside).They are also using them as bases to attack NAF from.They also shell at daily bases churches,market,water&electricy lines,private houses,factories.Damage done is already at several billions(just Donetck airport costs 750 million UDS to be build and now lies in ruins).The money provided will be stolen.Like the money(stolen again) put apart to build that famous wall at Russia-Ukraine border - nothing of importance was build and money provided misteriously "missing".Stolen like Ukrainian gold reserve which apperantly(most of it) is missing and no official is giving info what did happen to it.You can educate yourself and check videos by G.Philips at youtube -some of them are in Eglish some-in Russian.And see for yourself what`s Ukranian army is doing in Donbas and what local population think for their "liberators".

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom