What's new

Japan’s Largest Warship Since World War II Takes To Sea

SvenSvensonov

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
Screen-Shot-2014-09-29-at-10.58.40-AM.png

Japan’s largest warship since World War II has left for its first set of sea trials last week ahead of entering the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) fleet next year.

JS Izumo (DDH-183) departed Tokyo Bay on Sept. 23, as seen as in a video on YouTube, for the first round of what will be about six months of sea trials ahead of the ship’s commissioning next year, a JMSDF official told Jane’s Defence Weekly on Monday.

The 24,000-ton helicopter carrier is the first of two planned ships. Izumo will enter the JMSDF force next year. DDH-184 will enter the fleet in 2017, according to the Naval Institute’s Combat Fleet’s of the World.

The development pair of ships have fomented regional controversy since the formal start of the program, in part because of their strong resemblance to aircraft carriers

“It is an aircraft carrier, and Japan just called it a helicopter destroyer to downplay its aggressive nature,” Zhang Junshe with the People’s Liberation Army Naval Military Studies Research Institute told China Daily last year.

To Japan’s neighbors, even the name Izumo is a loaded word.

“The original Izumo, an armored cruiser that participated in the Battle of Tsushima, was purchased with reparations from the first Sino-Japanese War,” wrote USNI News contributor Kyle Mizokami last year.
“There is little doubt all parties, particularly the Chinese, are aware of the lineage.”

Though billed by Japan as primarily an anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and humanitarian and disaster relief (HADR) platform, its character is more in line with the U.S. Navy’s America-class of amphibious warships.

izumo.jpg

Izumo is large enough to field 14 helicopters and has the capacity to carry 400 troops. Japan could also field V-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft from the ship. Ospreys are used by U.S. Marines to deploy troops from the sea and were successfully test onboard Japan’s Hyuga-class DDHs in 2013.

It’s conceivable the helicopter carrier could also accommodate the short takeoff/ vertical landing (STOVL) variants of the F-35 Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) but Japan has said publically it has no intentions of fielding JSFs from the ships.

But — like the aviation centric America — the ship is not equipped with a well deck to deploy troops via landing craft.

Following World War II, the Imperial Japanese Navy was largely sunk and its pacifist constitution only allowed for military force in a direct threat to the country.

However in the last year, Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has led a push to expand the scope of Japan’s military cooperation and its ability to develop its military export industry.

From Japan’s Largest Warship Since World War II Takes To Sea - USNI News

@Nihonjin1051 - the future of the JMSDF is looking very bright, unfortunately the pics are covered in the typical smog.

@Nihonjin1051 - the future of the JMSDF is looking very bright, unfortunately the pics are covered in the typical smog.

Yes, indeed, it is. I long to see the Rising Sun's Colours being unfurled on these beauties. With the enlightened US-Japan Defense Pact, which elevates Japan as a global partner in fighting sources of instability, we will finally see the deployment of Japan's military. Those who are enemies of Japan and threats to our security , and the security of our relevant partners shall be purified by fire. ;)

Glory unto Japan, Glory unto the United States.

US_Navy_020314-N-8590G-001_Iwo_Jima_commemoration.jpg

These ships can be easily made to accommodate a squadron of F-35Bs so they are aircraft carriers in actual fact.

The more pertinent point is that the Japanese are building the necessary experience in being able to build much larger aircraft carriers all the way up to 100,000+ tonnes using these ships.

These ships can be easily made to accommodate a squadron of F-35Bs so they are aircraft carriers in actual fact.

The more pertinent point is that the Japanese are building the necessary experience in being able to build much larger aircraft carriers all the way up to 100,000+ tonnes using these ships.

Of course, and that is the direction the Imperial Navy is headed. Err, I mean, Japan Maritime Self Defense Force. ;)

We're orienting towards developing a fully operational 4 Aircraft Carrier Strike Groups; centered on 2 Light Carriers and 2 Super Carriers.

2NEoi.jpg

Zd00J.png

Always a fan of the japanese navy.Hopefully we will see them with full aircraft,not just helicopters.Here's to one day seeing a japanese carrier in the indian ocean and calling in visit at a port in india.:cheers:

Yes, indeed, it is. I long to see the Rising Sun's Colours being unfurled on these beauties. With the enlightened US-Japan Defense Pact, which elevates Japan as a global partner in fighting sources of instability, we will finally see the deployment of Japan's military. Those who are enemies of Japan and threats to our security , and the security of our relevant partners shall be purified by fire. ;)

Glory unto Japan, Glory unto the United States.

US_Navy_020314-N-8590G-001_Iwo_Jima_commemoration.jpg
That's so mean of you. You just mentioned me in your post and no thanks to me. BTW you know my actual name is also same in Hindi. Thank you.

That's so mean of you. You just mentioned me in your post and no thanks to me. BTW you know my actual name is also same in Hindi. Thank you.

;)

Always a fan of the japanese navy.Hopefully we will see them with full aircraft,not just helicopters.Here's to one day seeing a japanese carrier in the indian ocean and calling in visit at a port in india.:cheers:

Here's to that, Sir! :cheers:

He is revered and honored as one of the greatest military leaders. In the same league as Admiral Togo.

Hmmmn - I like that ! :agree:

So how do you guys view the whole Japanese participation in WW2 ? Do you guys honor the sacrifices made by the Japanese soldiers - their bravery, their courage and their dedication ? Or do you guys just view at it all with indifference ? :(

Back
Top Bottom