What's new

Jang Group Losing Viewers and Ad Money

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Haq's Musings: Jang Group's Geo TV Suffering Heavy Financial Losses

Geo TV has lost 80% of its viewers and billions of rupees in advertising revenue since it accused Pakistan's ISI of attempting to assassinate its anchor Hamid Mir last April, according to credible reports in the mainstream media.

Pakistan's once most-watched cable-satellite television channel Geo, with the country's largest newsgathering network, has lost more than 80% of its viewers in less than a month, according to the BBC. In addition to Geo News channel, major cable operators across the country have blocked transmission of all other channels of the group, including Geo Super, Geo Tez, Geo Kahani and Geo Entertainment.

Among the biggest advertisers, the mobile phone companies accounting for 20% of media spend on Geo group, have pulled their marketing campaigns from Geo Network, including Geo News, Geo Kahani, Geo Super and Geo Entertainment, according to ProPakistan.pk website which covers telecommunications news.

Pakistan's Top 20 TV Cable-Satellite Channels. Source: Gallup Pakistan
Geo News ranks number 2 and Geo Entertainment ranks 6th among cable-satellite channels in terms of viewers in Pakistan, according to Gallup Pakistan TV ratings data for 2013. Gallup report shows that India's Star Plus tops the list with an average daily viewership of around 12 million Cable and Satellite Viewers during the time period Jan- to date (2013). It's followed by PTV Home and Geo News with approximately 8 million average daily Cable and Satellite Viewers.

Overall TV Ratings 2010. Source: Audiencescapes.org
Terrestrial channels operated by PTV and ATV continue dominate the overall television viewing in the country. 2010 data from Audiencescapes.org shows PTV Home garnering the highest market share at 46% of all viewers.

Jang Media Group which owns Geo TV channels has been the biggest beneficiary of the 2002 media deregulation ordered by former President Pervez Musharraf. The Jang group is also credited with bringing down the Musharraf government with its heavy coverage of the lawyers movement to restore the former Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry. Mr. Munir Malik, one of Mr. Chaudhry's key allies, said in an interview recently that the lawyers movement could not have succeeded without the backing of Geo TV and other media outlets and civil society which grew up during Musharraf years. Jang Group has been facing rising criticism for what the critics call "sensationalism" and "irresponsible" journalism.

Geo TV has lost 80% of its viewers and billions of rupees in advertising revenue since it accused Pakistan's ISI of attempting to assassinate its anchor Hamid Mir last April, according to credible reports in the mainstream media.

a57f96f2adb2c64c14d357cba2e19c61.jpg
Pakistan's once most-watched cable-satellite television channel Geo, with the country's largest newsgathering network, has lost more than 80% of its viewers in less than a month, according to the BBC. In addition to Geo News channel, major cable operators across the country have blocked transmission of all other channels of the group, including Geo Super, Geo Tez, Geo Kahani and Geo Entertainment.

Among the biggest advertisers, the mobile phone companies accounting for 20% of media spend on Geo group, have pulled their marketing campaigns from Geo Network, including Geo News, Geo Kahani, Geo Super and Geo Entertainment, according to ProPakistan.pk website which covers telecommunications news.

57e7d0bd73bbf16036f0a7cf4229dd4d.jpg
69e6f95d78eb715d13317060a0f8aa63.jpg
Pakistan's Top 20 TV Cable-Satellite Channels. Source: Gallup Pakistan
Geo News ranks number 2 and Geo Entertainment ranks 6th among cable-satellite channels in terms of viewers in Pakistan, according to Gallup Pakistan TV ratings data for 2013. Gallup report shows that India's Star Plus tops the list with an average daily viewership of around 12 million Cable and Satellite Viewers during the time period Jan- to date (2013). It's followed by PTV Home and Geo News with approximately 8 million average daily Cable and Satellite Viewers.

ec87d655ab690ef9449b3bf67f3fab34.jpg
Overall TV Ratings 2010. Source: Audiencescapes.org
Terrestrial channels operated by PTV and ATV continue dominate the overall television viewing in the country. 2010 data from Audiencescapes.org shows PTV Home garnering the highest market share at 46% of all viewers.

Jang Media Group which owns Geo TV channels has been the biggest beneficiary of the 2002 media deregulation ordered by former President Pervez Musharraf. The Jang group is also credited with bringing down the Musharraf government with its heavy coverage of the lawyers movement to restore the former Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry. Mr. Munir Malik, one of Mr. Chaudhry's key allies, said in an interview recently that the lawyers movement could not have succeeded without the backing of Geo TV and other media outlets and civil society which grew up during Musharraf years. Jang Group has been facing rising criticism for what the critics call "sensationalism" and "irresponsible" journalism.

I think its a shameful thing for ISI that traitor Mir Shakeel is still alive

I think ISI has learned the art of inducing slow death. When you change things abruptly, change it felt strongly and counter-productive reaction is produced. "Slow death" can gradually and rationally kills the opponent leaving no foot-print, no to low possibility of opposition and no room for accusation - pretty smart!

Couple of days ago I dug Geo.tv and Jang.com.pk to find a sticker of Aman ki Aasha and Jang has completely wiped this sticker from every public-facing portal they had. If they were so justified in running this campaign, where is it now? If that was in the best interest of the country where is that interest now? I am so happy to see this traitor media group die.

Frankly Good. ARY should meet the same fate. 2 extremely biased channels that must be shut down at all cost. GEO truly played a game that was just too big for it self. It immediately started a hate campaign against ISI and the army when there was massive support and sympathy for them and they just couldnt handle the backlash that came from the army and the people. Geo shot its own foot down. I feel nothing for them. NOTHING.

I think ISI has learned the art of inducing slow death. When you change things abruptly, change it felt strongly and counter-productive reaction is produced. "Slow death" can gradually and rationally kills the opponent leaving no foot-print, no to low possibility of opposition and no room for accusation - pretty smart!

Couple of days ago I dug Geo.tv and Jang.com.pk to find a sticker of Aman ki Aasha and Jang has completely wiped this sticker from every public-facing portal they had. If they were so justified in running this campaign, where is it now? If that was in the best interest of the country where is that interest now? I am so happy to see this traitor media group die.

The problem was not aman ki asaha , the problem was / is , irresponsible reporting with out facts

This loss is being caused by illegal bans and coercion by the "angels" to stop Geo from being carried. Let there be a fair and open market and then we can see the true numbers.

The problem was not aman ki asaha , the problem was / is , irresponsible reporting with out facts

My point of quoting Aman ki Asha is mention a pro-India doctrine which doesn't have roots or benefits for the people of Pakistan. Through Aman ki Asha, Jung Group was projecting economic designs over Pakistan as "the right way forward for the Nation". But this just doesn't stop at economic reasons, they were projecting an Indian design over Pakistan.

Geo aswell as ary both are biased and should be punished accordingly.

Journalist should be held accountable for , false reporting , and their reporting should be backed by credible evidence

Aman ki Asha is Gadaro ( Traitors ) ki Bhasha specially traitors off ALLAH and his RASOOL SAW

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom